Author Topic: Rubber dome swap  (Read 11614 times)

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Rubber dome swap
« on: Mon, 22 December 2008, 23:36:02 »
I haven't been feeling happy with the brown Cherry MX switches lately and had started to miss the familiar feeling of my old rubber dome, so I thought I'd try resurrecting it by swapping the stiff domes in the Dell SK-8135 for the nice light ones from my Trust.

The mod wasn't too difficult, the main difficulty was reassembling the Dell without the rubber domes moving.

I didn't take any pictures. The Dell has a thin metal plate holding down the membrane sheet (actually three sheets), and unlike in the Trust, the individual rubber domes are stuck to the membrane. I pulled them off then went over the sheet to carefully peel off the remaining bits. This was tedious and by the end I was wondering if it was worth the effort.

What surprised me was how different the same domes felt in another keyboard. The domes felt like mush in the Dell. Quite possibly the worst keyboard I've used. The only difference I can tell is the length of the key travel. I think the Trust has a shorter key stroke. The stems in the Dell keycaps are about 4mm longer. The domes were the same size in height and diameter.

The upside of the mod is that by the time I'd tidied up, I felt glad for having the Cherries.

Offline wellington1869

Rubber dome swap
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 02:39:58 »

What surprised me was how different the same domes felt in another keyboard.

thats interesting. Its amazing how much of a difference casing and materials make.

The upside of the mod is that by the time I'd tidied up, I felt glad for having the Cherries.

lol :)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Rubber dome swap
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 06:10:31 »
It is a bit sad that I had to try a bad rubber dome to renew my appreciation of the browns. I need to buy some more keyboards.

Offline itlnstln

Rubber dome swap
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 08:54:00 »
It's a shame that rubber domes wear out so fast.  There are some (definitely not all) that feel pretty good.  My MS Natural 4000 felt great when I first got it, but these days the keys feel like mush.  While I have not used them, I bet the Topre 'boards have the best of the best rubber dome feel (especially with the spring in the mechanism) without the degradation in feel over time.  What I would like to happen with my Northgate mod is exactly this.  I want to replicate the soft landing of (quality) rubber domes, but keep the tactility and resillience of mechanical keys.

Offline lam47

Rubber dome swap
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 09:26:35 »
The gold touch has great rubber domes.
I have not used another board since getting it.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Rubber dome swap
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 14:50:21 »
Quote from: itlnstln;15930
My MS Natural 4000 felt great when I first got it, but these days the keys feel like mush.

I'd like to try a 4000. I have read that they don't last long and some keys stick. How are the keys on yours? They are quite cheap but it seems silly to have to keep replacing it.

Offline itlnstln

Rubber dome swap
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 15:09:49 »
Well, I just brought it out of storage and started using it today, and the keys really don't feel that bad.  I think when I replaced it with the Evolution, I was really looking for something very different, but, compared to the standard Dells at work, these domes actually feel pretty good, though, not as good as a mechanical switch (I think brown Cherries would be perfect for this 'board).  I have had mine for about 2+ years, now, and it still looks and works great other than the matte finish wearing off on some of the keys.  The printing is silkscreened on the keys, but they show no signs of wearing off.  I am particularly clean around my keyboards, so mine has been cleaned often, and I make sure my hands are clean before I type, so that contributes to the printing lasting as long as it has.  None of my keys stick, either.  I don't think they feel quite as nice as brand new, but I do not have any problems typing on it at all, and they are still quite tactile as domes go.  The best thing about this 'board is that the layout is standard.  A lot of split-layouts have some kind of modified layout to accomodate the somewhat larger size, but the Natural is not much larger (if at all) than my M sitting next to it.  I think this is due to the rise in the middle of the 'board shortening the overall length.  The pleather wrist rest is awesome, too.  I have not seen another 'board (mechanical or otherwise) with a built in wrist rest near as nice as this one.  I would say, if the domes don't bother you, this keyboard is the best non-mechanical 'board available.  I would definitely buy one and try it, though, as dome 'boards get beat up in stores.  The aesthetics and construction are top notch.  While I am more about function over form, the Natural is pretty sexy.  It is very thin on its profile with clean, modern lines.  As far as dome 'boards go, you will not be disappointed (unless some of the bad reviews you have seen are from newer revisions, or something; my birth certificate shows mine is revision 1.0).

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Rubber dome swap
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 15:16:46 »
Thanks itlnstln, I will pick one up to try. I do not know if the pains in my fingers are from the layout or from longer travel keys; I do find myself switching to the G84-4100. Are the keys on the 4000 full travel or shorter travel?

Offline itlnstln

Rubber dome swap
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 December 2008, 15:18:52 »
Yes.  They seem to be about 3-4 mm in travel.  I don't feel much difference in travel between it and my Model M.

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Rubber dome swap
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 February 2011, 21:39:15 »
Quote from: Chloe;72657
I'd like to try a 4000. I have read that they don't last long and some keys stick. How are the keys on yours? They are quite cheap but it seems silly to have to keep replacing it.
Have you tried one of the Chicony made KB-8923 keyboards manufactured for IBM?  I have one of these and even without a spring to aid performance like tactility and sound, these keyboards are really pretty good.  Mine is now in storage because I got a model M to replace it.  I can only use one board at a time, although, I may bring it out for use with my laptop.  Probably not though.  I'm using the laptop to test other model Ms that I come accross and work on.  You know?  I may just sell my 8923 on EBay or something.  For rubber domes, Chicony really did a good job in making these.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline Daniel Beaver

Rubber dome swap
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 05:34:40 »

Interesting idea though, swapping domes to other keyboards. I may have to try that.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0