Author Topic: The Unofficial FaceW Manual for ps2avrU Firmware V1.7 (15 Feb 2015)  (Read 339893 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Re: The Unofficial FaceW Manual for Firmware V1.7 (15 Feb 2015) Updated 13 Jun 2015
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 05:31:45 »
I'm sorry if this is already mentioned in the thread, but does the software support multiple typing layers like you would have on a pok3r? I could just be misunderstanding what the different function layers mean, but what if I want to be able to switch between QWERTY and Dvorak for instance?

I supposed you could use program a different layout to the FN2 or FN3 layer and then enable it with the FN2 Lock or FN3 Lock.  Then hit Esc + Back Space to return to the Normal Layer.

That's really good to hear! I frequently need to switch between layouts as I often type in both German and English, but I prefer Dvorak for English and Qwertz for German.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline KHAANNN

Re: The Unofficial FaceW Manual for Firmware V1.7 (15 Feb 2015) Updated 13 Jun 2015
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 21:21:25 »
I'm guessing the keymain.hex's are the actual firmware and the 2KB keymap_part.hex's are the keymaps

The flasher probably flashes the keymap hex to a pre-determined location for the firmware keymain to read

So I'm guessing, if a person wants to update the firmware, s/he must flash the keymain first, then the keymap .hex

As far as I understand, the bootMapper is mainly to generate the keymap_part.hex, which is a small file with the keymap layout, so it doesn't do anything fancy like re-compile the firmware and bundle it with the layout etc.

Is there a flaw in my logic? (Edit: Just re-visited OP after these realizations and verified my theory, thanks for the OP, now the only question remaining is below, which firmware version to use)

There are GKR/NKRO/split/SL versions of keymain, which one do you guys use?
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 September 2015, 21:23:39 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 05:37:40 »
Correct on (almost) all counts. (I personally use NKRO as the main.)

The only minor comment is that the positioning of the "keymap" part of the firmware is not determined by the flasher program (you can use any which supports the bootloadHID protocol - e.g. I use the original one from Objective Development), but the information is actually contained within the hex file itself (the first number on each line is actually the address in flash where should the data go).

Offline Ashurei

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:57:16 »
I'm using spirit FaceW

Yesterday, I pressed a combining keystrokes (which I don't remember), then it swapped Gui & Alt key
Now, I have to remap LGui --> LAlt and LAlt --> LGui by using bootmapper client
When I press the button LGui (according to the Bootmapper client), it detects at LAlt  :'(

Please tell me what can I do to fix it?

Update: Tried to plug into other PC, and the problem still exist  :(
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2015, 09:59:55 by Ashurei »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 10:44:42 »
I'm using spirit FaceW

Yesterday, I pressed a combining keystrokes (which I don't remember), then it swapped Gui & Alt key
When I press the button LGui (according to the Bootmapper client), it detects at LAlt  :'(

Can't you use the bootmapper with another keyboard, create your desired keymap and then upload that keymap to your keyboard? (You can also click the LGui for example, and click the block and put that key there)

So you don't have to use your keyboard to use the GUI
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 11:10:37 »
I'm using spirit FaceW

I think there is a "shortcut" to swap these two keys, and it is LAlt+LGui+Enter (according to http://blog.winkeyless.kr/17 ). It did happen on my faceW as well.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 11:56:34 »
I'm using spirit FaceW

I think there is a "shortcut" to swap these two keys, and it is LAlt+LGui+Enter (according to http://blog.winkeyless.kr/17 ). It did happen on my faceW as well.

Could these annoying shortcuts be disabled somehow? // or are they hard-coded to the bundled firmwares? (as far as I observed, the shortcuts are hard-coded and separate from the keymap's)

I've been dealing with plate/build issues these last couple of days, once I clear my head a bit, I'm going to try and attempt to simplify the firmware a bit by using the patch you shared, otherwise, the firmware seems like a black box filled with unwanted features that can cause issues like Ashurei complained about

I'm aiming to generate a lite version of the firmware, I'll probably just hunt down these features one by one and "0 &&" them

(Off topic, I've tested the PCB naked in auto PS/2 form, with the default sprit firmware on, I don't know whether it's the jumper wires I used but the keys didn't register easily, I had to touch the connections several times to make a single character register - I'm hoping it's either the jumper-wire/poor-connection - or the old firmware not working too well)

Offline Ashurei

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 01:01:34 »

Ya, you saved my life  :))
I tried with LGui+LAlt+RShift and hold for ab 5 secs, That worked  :thumb:
Thanks very much  ;)

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 12:43:43 »
I can't get my ~' to work :( I mapped the key
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #159 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 19:00:47 »
Hey everyone,

I'm about to solder things together, I tested the PCB a bit, but couldn't do detailed testing without soldering switches

My question is, should I add a single led to a single keycap?

I was intending to install leds, yet I noticed that 2x3x4mm leds I got touches the cherry profile keycaps and costar stabs at the same time, so it's a no-no, yet I can modify a switch top to install the led into the switch itself, I know that the PCB flashes leds in the firmware_flash mode etc. - that's why I'm wondering whether a single led would be useful (it will be the Fn key at the right side of the keyboard)

The PCB and firmware is such a black box right now, that's why I'm hesitant to install even that one led, I don't want it turning on and off whenever I press CapsLock+Esc etc.

I guess I will go ahead and install that led, worst case scenario I can de-solder it, I guess what I'm really looking for is a rough explanation of the led logic and different led behaviours

(Edit: I also can't remember whether it was the CapsLock led that did the flashing etc. I would rather avoid installing a caps-lock led)

------

Edit 2

I ended up soldering my secondary PCB with three switches / 3 leds

There doesn't seem to be a side-effect of adding leds, all leds flash on flash-programming mode, so soldering any led would work

With the default firmware that comes pre-loaded with the Sprit PCB, there are many obvious bugs that are noticeable even at first trial, couple of times I was able to lock the keyboard completely while I was testing CapsLock+Esc functionality

When CapsLock is software mapped to something else, all these issues vanished, If I'm not mistaken, CapsLock+Esc stopped working too, so that was a huge plus

Another minor piece of information, auto-rotating RGB leds only auto rotate when leds are full

Going to update the firmware/keymap now and see how it goes, I will update this post/thread if anything worth mentioning comes up

------

Edit 3

Tested the sprit PCB with a TMK USB-to-USB converter, does anyone know why the caps-lock led blinks slowly? (keyboard didn't work, just the caps-lock led blinked)

------

Edit 4

Tested the sprit PCB with TMK PS2-to-USB converter, the capslock led flashes slowly, but in between flashes, there is a brief interval where keys register, I'm guessing both [3] and [4-this] is due to the auto PS2/USB selection routine
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 September 2015, 20:43:36 by KHAANNN »

Offline studyourheart

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 18:59:10 »
hey 'yall, I was having some problems with my facew board, and am hoping someone here can help me. I am having a hard time getting it to enter programming mode. I recently built the board up, but every time I try to enter programing mode, it locks up. I hold down q, plug it into my comp, and windows throws a code that it malfunctioned. Then, i have to let it sit for about 8 hours before it works properly again. I found that if i use the  ps2avrU Menu, it will enter bootmapper mode, but if i unplug the usb once I'm done, and then plug it back in, it is also jammed up. I have no idea what is going on, and was hoping someone would be able to help? I'm getting quite frustrated with it ATM. Thanks for any help!!!

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 19:53:15 »
hey 'yall, I was having some problems with my facew board, and am hoping someone here can help me. I am having a hard time getting it to enter programming mode. I recently built the board up, but every time I try to enter programing mode, it locks up. I hold down q, plug it into my comp, and windows throws a code that it malfunctioned. Then, i have to let it sit for about 8 hours before it works properly again. I found that if i use the  ps2avrU Menu, it will enter bootmapper mode, but if i unplug the usb once I'm done, and then plug it back in, it is also jammed up. I have no idea what is going on, and was hoping someone would be able to help? I'm getting quite frustrated with it ATM. Thanks for any help!!!

I experienced the "let it sit for 8 hours" issue with another PCB before, it usually happens when things get jolted, it likely takes time for electronic components to recover, or at least this is my theory, it happened once when I mis-wired a ps2/usb connection - in your case, it might be stupid windows messing drivers up (99%)

Anyway, the simplest thing to do is to test the keyboard with other machines, and go on from there

When you press and hold Q, the leds should flash

-- -- --

Here are my experiences recently, so it helps others:
  • Consider installing all leds, the breathing mode is great, while you type, the intensity of leds go up, if I were aware of this, I might have installed all the leds, but 99% I would disable it
  • I have a special firmware just to have a CapsLock in my layout so I can turn leds on/off, luckily all the settings are persistent, the firmware is impressive in it's persistence
  • Definitely install Backspace/CapsLock leds, especially CapsLock, it blinks according to the state of the keyboard
  • Press and hold U to lock the keyboard into USB mode, press and hold P to lock it into PS2 mode, tmk_keyboard converters doesn't work otherwise, other than that, it's best to lock USB if you only use USB, so the keyboard doesn't try to auto-detect each time
  • I installed Esc+another led, they were disturbing, they didn't turn off when the keyboard went to sleep, after 24 hours of working I should've slept for 10 hours, I woke up after 4 hours likely because of the led, turned off all the leds for simplicity now
  • OSX Bootmapper/GUI doesn't work well, download a windows VM, just to generate the keymap_part.hex
  • The keymain_NKRO.hex works with Sprit PCB without issues
  • I have a very basic main layout on the keyboard, I extent the functionality with: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169.50 - highly recommended for those who want real key behaviour customisability

Offline studyourheart

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 22:34:09 »
that's the thing, it usually happens when I try to press and hold q while plugging it in. my thought is that it might be a firmware bug, and tat i just need to flash the firmware, but i can never get to the point where i can re-flash it. every single time i try to put the board into programming mode, it freezes up. i am amble to enter the text based menu, and so if there was a way to get it into programming mode from there i feel i could get it flashed, but alas i have been unsuccessful thus far. does anyone know if a way to contact spirit? or are these just winkeyless boards, and can i contact them for some insight?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 22:38:25 »
that's the thing, it usually happens when I try to press and hold q while plugging it in. my thought is that it might be a firmware bug, and tat i just need to flash the firmware, but i can never get to the point where i can re-flash it. every single time i try to put the board into programming mode, it freezes up. i am amble to enter the text based menu, and so if there was a way to get it into programming mode from there i feel i could get it flashed, but alas i have been unsuccessful thus far. does anyone know if a way to contact spirit? or are these just winkeyless boards, and can i contact them for some insight?

You can contact winkeyless, they respond fast and they are helpful if they understand you

Yet, I don't think you are doing what you can to solve this issue, you should exhaust all possible solutions yourself before expecting someone else to help you, did you test the device on other machines yet?

Offline studyourheart

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 22:54:17 »
thank you for the info about winkeyless, i might try to go to them if I'm not able to figure it out.

just for clarity's sake: it has been tested on multiple usb plugs on this pc, tested on other pc and macs, every single time i try to enter programmimg mode, it locks up and needs to sit for a while.

for instance, when i got home today from work, i plugged it into this comp to test, and it worked fine. i even entered the menu via text editor to make sure i could. (and also to look for a way to enter the programming mode from there. unplugged it, hooked it up to gf's laptop, worked fine. plugged it back into this computer while holding down q, and got an error from windows saying device didn't function correctly. i then unplugged it, tried plugging it back into other laptop, (without holding down q), and throws a malfunction code on that computer. now nothing, every time i try to plug back into a machine it will malfunction unless i let it sit.

Offline studyourheart

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 22:58:04 »
also, i have no led's installed currently, as i had no intention of running them, but since i've been having problems and the board uses led flashing to show it's status, i ordered some and will solder them onto the board once they arrive. as of now, i have no idea if there are flashing led's or not since there are none.

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 14:04:32 »
Does anyone know of a way to do spacefn style on these boards?  So that space when held down acts like the function key but acts as space when tapped. I've been able to do everything else with the instructions which is awesome!
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 14:40:00 »
Does anyone know of a way to do spacefn style on these boards?  So that space when held down acts like the function key but acts as space when tapped. I've been able to do everything else with the instructions which is awesome!

Just get one of these: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169.50

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:06:17 »
Anyone had an issue with the Esc/`~ key? I've got mine mapped to Esc in all layers, but it doesn't do anything in the base layer, but it works great if I hit Fn+Esc.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:10:29 by linuxhermit »
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:46:10 »
Mine is a pure Esc and works as expected as an Esc, just like a regular Esc

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 10:56:05 »
I'm really not sure what I'm going wrong then. :(
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 11:14:05 »
What's the PCB?

Maybe you are mapping another key to Esc instead, I also have Shift+Esc disabled

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 16:21:01 »
I attached the they key map to my prior comment.. I felt like it did work in the past
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline fgsz291

Hi, I just finished my build today and it surely was fun but I have quite a big problem. The keyboard stopped working after sometime and pluging it out and in again, the PC did not identify it. I tried to upgrade the firmware but it said "problems downloading.." and now it stopped working at all. Did I kill something on the keyboard or is it possible to reset the firmware somehow? thanks

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
Hi, I just finished my build today and it surely was fun but I have quite a big problem. The keyboard stopped working after sometime and pluging it out and in again, the PC did not identify it. I tried to upgrade the firmware but it said "problems downloading.." and now it stopped working at all. Did I kill something on the keyboard or is it possible to reset the firmware somehow? thanks

Uh, lets see if we can resolve it. Does your computer detect the keyboard at all via usb when you plug it in?
i.e. any sound indicator?
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline KHAANNN

Trying the keyboard on other devices is a good idea

Also do you have a metal case? If so, insulating the case always helps, I generally use painter's tape, it smells good, looks good, dampens sound, insulates the case from the PCB

Offline fgsz291

I am using the poker 2 case and have tried it on 3 different PC's, Linux Windows 7 and Windows 10 and it claims "usb device not recognized".

Offline KHAANNN

I am using the poker 2 case and have tried it on 3 different PC's, Linux Windows 7 and Windows 10 and it claims "usb device not recognized".

Also try pressing "U" when you are connecting the keyboard

You might have pressed "P" at one point and locked the keyboard to PS2 mode, it would explain your issues

Edit: Actually, I didn't think of this before, but it might explain several other issues others reported before this, I hope they read and try this solution now

Offline fgsz291

Nope, still not recognized :( I tried starting it with "Q" now with "U" and with "P" and pressed fn + "P".

Offline KHAANNN

Nope, still not recognized :( I tried starting it with "Q" now with "U" and with "P" and pressed fn + "P".

Hmm, bad, but still, disconnect the cable, press and hold U, connect the keyboard, release U, and leave it that way

Other than this, do you have a CapsLock led, the CapsLock led flashes in different ways that helps identify issues

Also, test this U method on the Linux machine, stupid windows issues might cloud the tests, you could miss a working state because of stupid windows driver issues

Offline fgsz291

No, it just does nothing. The LEDs do not turn on. It only triggers the "device not recognized" message
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 October 2015, 18:57:28 by fgsz291 »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Anyone had an issue with the Esc/`~ key? I've got mine mapped to Esc in all layers, but it doesn't do anything in the base layer, but it works great if I hit Fn+Esc.

Ey, I checked your keymap.  All layers are the same and you don't have "`~" mapped on any key.

Here is a modified keymap file where "`~" is mapped to Esc on the FN1 layer so that FN + Esc is "`~". :thumb:

* keymap_part_20151007001242.hex (1.49 kB - downloaded 292 times.)

== == == == ==

No, it just does nothing. The LEDs do not turn on. It only triggers the "device not recognized" message

Have you tried a different USB cable?  Have you checked the soldering?

Offline fgsz291

Yeah, I checked 3 cables. 3 computers and my soldering didn't looked too off. I suppose the usb plug has a loose connection and while flashing the board it disconnected, bricking the board.

Offline a-c

Yeah, I checked 3 cables. 3 computers and my soldering didn't looked too off. I suppose the usb plug has a loose connection and while flashing the board it disconnected, bricking the board.

Is this a board from Winkeyless? If you have an Arduino you can convert it to a programmer and reprogram the AVR with it. Would just need to get the proper hexfile for your board from winkeyless.

Offline fgsz291

Is this a board from Winkeyless? If you have an Arduino you can convert it to a programmer and reprogram the AVR with it. Would just need to get the proper hexfile for your board from winkeyless.

No, it is from Sprit.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here

Have you tried plugging the keyboard in while holding down the U key?

== == == == ==

No, it is from Sprit.

AFAIK, the PCBs were designed and made by winkeyless.kr with Sprit being the GB organizer (winkeyless doesn't do GBs directly).

Offline fgsz291

Yeah I tried holding down U, didnt help :(. I will look into the Arduino thing.

Offline fatb0y

I need some help troubleshooting my B.mini

I have RGB LEDs soldered in, but I can't get them to turn on. The LEDs will flash when I plug the keyboard in, but thats it. I tried mapping the various keys related to LEDs, but none of them seem to do anything. The bootmapper client also doesn't seem to do anything. But it seems like my RGB LED settings are being saved to the keyboard, since I can pull up my settings in the client.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
Yeah I tried holding down U, didnt help :(. I will look into the Arduino thing.

Aww man.  Good luck with that and let us know how it goes. :thumb:

== == == == ==

I need some help troubleshooting my B.mini

I have RGB LEDs soldered in, but I can't get them to turn on. The LEDs will flash when I plug the keyboard in, but thats it. I tried mapping the various keys related to LEDs, but none of them seem to do anything. The bootmapper client also doesn't seem to do anything. But it seems like my RGB LED settings are being saved to the keyboard, since I can pull up my settings in the client.

I don't have experience with the newer RGB boards but maybe some of the other members can help you out.  In any case, what version of the BootMapper client are you using?  I'm using 0.4.5 and I see an "RGB Mode" key.

Also, have you tried emailing winkeyless@gmail.com?  In my experience they are helpful and pleasant to deal with. :thumb:

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Question: Is it possible to move the LED indicator to a different key? I'd like to move the indicator for Caps lock to, say, 6,6 and the one for Num lock to 6,8.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline flabbergast

Question: Is it possible to move the LED indicator to a different key? I'd like to move the indicator for Caps lock to, say, 6,6 and the one for Num lock to 6,8.
I don't think so. On faceW, the only LEDs that are individually controllable are the CapsLock and backspace. All the other LEDs act simultaneously (i.e. they're all on or all off).

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
I don't think so. On faceW, the only LEDs that are individually controllable are the CapsLock and backspace. All the other LEDs act simultaneously (i.e. they're all on or all off).
Too bad. Thanks for your answer.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline tominabox1

I am also having the problem with the esc key not working on my default layer. I have no idea what could be causing it. It seems to work on other layers, just not the default one.

EDIT: I figured out how to fix it. for some reason the software wants to assign some weird key to as ESC so I did the "magic key" think and remapped it via the text edit application to the default key number 041.  If  you are having this problem try that.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 23:17:15 by tominabox1 »

Offline bbrotha

Hey guys, just finished a new keyboard with a Sprit board three days ago, and it was working fine until today that I disconnected it from work and took it back home, the caps lock and backspace just lit up one time and then the kb is dead and I get a windows message that it is not recognizable. I pressed U for 5 seconds then connect it back and it does give me the flashing lights. i tried to flash it again and the software says its done, then disconnect and connect again, same issues, just one blink on the caps lock and backspace at the same time. I tried it on 4 windows pcs already from XP all the way to windows 10, and the same issues, any thoughts?

EDIT: nevermind, got it this time with the U thing, don't know what's going on here but it works now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 21:24:28 by bbrotha »
Norbaforce 87U 45g  -- HHKB Type S Blanks-- Kira Keyboard -- M65-A -- Novatouch

Offline Stabilized

I am having this problem where after I press FN it just sticks on until I unplug and replug the keyboard. Tried reflashing both the firmware and the keymap but with no luck.

Would really appreciate any help!

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
I am having this problem where after I press FN it just sticks on until I unplug and replug the keyboard. Tried reflashing both the firmware and the keymap but with no luck.

Are you sure that the function key is programmed as "FN" not "Toggle FN"?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Get a GON.

Offline Stabilized

Are you sure that the function key is programmed as "FN" not "Toggle FN"?

I am pretty sure, I have checked a couple of times and also checked the outputted json file, both say FN.

Get a GON.

Hmm, I already have one, but the fn is still sticking. Should I plug them both in at once?
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 December 2015, 08:00:43 by Stabilized »

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off

Get a GON.

Nice constructive problem-solving  :thumb:
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Get a GON.

Nice constructive problem-solving  :thumb: