Author Topic: The Unofficial FaceW Manual for ps2avrU Firmware V1.7 (15 Feb 2015)  (Read 339882 times)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Hzza

I am having this problem where after I press FN it just sticks on until I unplug and replug the keyboard. Tried reflashing both the firmware and the keymap but with no luck.

Would really appreciate any help!
Is the same key you've mapped to FN on the main layer also mapped to FN on the FN layer? So, for example, if you remap LALT to FN1, on layer 1 the LALT key also has to be mapped to FN1.

I know that getting stuck on a layer happens for the same reason on TMK, presumably the same thing is happening here. Let me know if that doesn't make sense, that's probably not the best description ever...
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 December 2015, 08:24:35 by Hzza »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Stabilized

Is the same key set the you've mapped to FN on the main layer also mapped to FN on the FN layer? So, for example, if you remap LALT to FN1, on layer 1 the LALT key also has to be mapped to FN1.

I know that getting stuck on a layer happens for the same reason on TMK, presumably the same thing is happening here. Let me know if that doesn't make sense, that's probably not the best description ever...

Good idea, but FN is applied to all layers.

Also, not sure if this is related, but when I go into the keyboard menu, there is no option for lazy FN.

Offline Hzza

Nuts, no idea's outside of that I'm afraid.

Offline Stabilized

Ok, well I just managed to fix it.
The problem wasn't the software after all, it was down to my escape key switch being faulty. Swapped it out and now the keyboard works fine, not sure how it would effect the function layer, but it's fixed now.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the gifs to help me through the troubleshooting process  :thumb:.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Ok, well I just managed to fix it.
The problem wasn't the software after all, it was down to my escape key switch being faulty. Swapped it out and now the keyboard works fine, not sure how it would effect the function layer, but it's fixed now.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the gifs to help me through the troubleshooting process  :thumb: .

I know that Taylor always comes "handy".  8)

Offline Jumie

if I build a custom 60% and I dont install any LED on the PCB, how do I detect the flashing LED on capslock part?

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
if I build a custom 60% and I dont install any LED on the PCB, how do I detect the flashing LED on capslock part?

Assuming you used a FaceW PCB and didn't install any LEDs, you would only be able to tell that it is in Flash Programming Mode by using the HIDBootFlash.exe and clicking Find Device".

If it is found, then it is in Flash Programming Mode and the window reads "HIDBoot detected":

Offline Jumie

Assuming you used a FaceW PCB and didn't install any LEDs, you would only be able to tell that it is in Flash Programming Mode by using the HIDBootFlash.exe and clicking Find Device".

Show Image

If it is found, then it is in Flash Programming Mode and the window reads "HIDBoot detected":

Show Image

Thanks  :thumb:

Offline PietPtr

Hey, I'm having some problems with my SPRiT edition FaceW PCB.

I soldered in Zealios and a metal plate (Round 1 from LeandreNs group buy) and put it in an Aluminum case with the plastic protector between the PCB and the case. I didn't load any different firmware on it.

The board worked completely fine for a while, then suddenly while I was doing a typing test the board didn't send keystrokes to the computer anymore.

This is the output of dmesg on Linux if I plug in the board:
Code: [Select]
[ 4698.796211] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
[ 4698.908360] usb 3-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 4699.012320] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 5.
[ 4699.012324] usb 3-1: hub failed to enable device, error -22
[ 4699.124356] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd
[ 4699.240500] usb 3-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 4699.344431] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 6.
[ 4699.344435] usb 3-1: hub failed to enable device, error -22
[ 4699.456558] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
[ 4699.456697] usb 3-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 4699.660731] usb 3-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 4699.864638] usb 3-1: device not accepting address 8, error -71
[ 4699.976726] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
[ 4699.976880] usb 3-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 4700.180903] usb 3-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 4700.384859] usb 3-1: device not accepting address 9, error -71
[ 4700.384884] usb usb3-port1: unable to enumerate USB device

On windows it just says "Device not recognized"

So far I've tried unplugging and plugging back in the keyboard, rebooting my computer, another USB cable, and flashing new firmware to the PCB. This does not fix the problem.

I noticed in this guide that LEDs should be flashing when I plug in the board while holding Q, but I don't have any LEDs soldered into the board. I tried holding an LED to the contact points while plugging in the board and holding Q and the LED was in fact flashing (so the board is probably not completely dead).

I hope any of you can give me some pointers (maybe threads from people with similar problems) or a solution.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Oh, some people on here a while ago were wondering wether I'd be able to do multiple layouts. It's very easy to do, just program like FN2, for instance, to be your alternate layout, then set one key to toggle FN2. It will toggle you back and forth between the two layouts, so you can like type (in my case) in both QWERTZ and Dvorak. Also, it should be noted, that the FN1 combonations persist over a lock, so for instance I can still use integrated arrow keys like FN+IJKL, even when toggled into the FN2 level. Works really great!
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline childofthehorn

Hey, is there a Linux utility for the HIDBootFlash somewhere?

Somehow, I remember seeing one and yet am unable to find it anywhere.

Side Note, if anyone knows what pin the Adressable RGB LED is connected to for control on the B.Face PCB's that would be great. I have a Sprit and it would be nice if that pin is still open on the MCU to be used. I am imagining that there are a few open GPIO's given how many keys are on the board.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2016, 01:08:42 by childofthehorn »

Offline childofthehorn

Got hooked up to a fresh windows 8.1 machine and get this error when trying to run HIDBootFlash from the PS24avrU package.

the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect
Anyone know what dependancy this is looking for? I haven't done hardly any updates to this windows machine as it only gets booted when I "need a windows machine".

Thanks!

UPDATE!

Discovered that there is an x86 depeandancy for getting the Visual Studio C++ Libs for 2005, 2008 SP1, and 2010. Get those here: http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01046/message-the-application-has-failed-to-start-because-its-side-by-side-configuration-is-incorrect.html

« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2016, 21:47:58 by childofthehorn »

Offline Pinecone

• Pine Switches
I'm having a similar issue where my PC says my USB device malfunctioned...
When I went to flash it back to stock, it says flash completed, but it's still on the previous hex file when I re-open HIDbootflash.
I can go into flash mode (holding Q) but not bootmap mode (holding Tab)
Is there a way to hard reset this thing?
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 March 2016, 15:37:40 by Pinecone »

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
Has anyone tried the latest firmware, V1.7, 2016-02-28?

Is Fn acting funny for you? I can't get it to register if it's not the first modifier struck in a chord.

Offline tominabox1

Is Fn acting funny for you? I can't get it to register if it's not the first modifier struck in a chord.
I have it and my board seems I be working fine but I can't get access to the lazy fn function anymore. It's not listed in the hardware configuration thing.

Offline Atredl

Edit: Nevermind! I got it to work by downloading the latest version from winkeyless.kr

Hoping someone can help me out.

I just built my B.face but I'm having trouble applying a new layout that I made. I'm able to get it into bootmapper mode (in notepad it will output the column and row) but the bootmapper client nor the HIDBootflash recognize the board properly. I'm able to change the RGB LED's but when I press a key in the key mapper page it doesn't select the key like the guide says.

I'm running windows 10. I had issues when trying to program my Atreus so I figure it might be relevant in this case as well.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: Fri, 25 March 2016, 05:37:45 by Atredl »

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent

I have it and my board seems I be working fine but I can't get access to the lazy fn function anymore. It's not listed in the hardware configuration thing.

I think he removed Lazy Fn, but I did log an issue in the Github tracker, and it looks like in the latest commit messages he's addressing Fn not being a smooth operation.

Google translated:
>> Modified so that the FN key process work smoothly
>> To point inconvenient to press the FN key, only the first key, the first key is not need to be modified to work

Offline shreebles

This thread is invaluable! Got my FaceW all set up now

133137-0

Thanks a lot!

Offline bakteria

Hey, I'm having some problems with my SPRiT edition FaceW PCB.

I soldered in Zealios and a metal plate (Round 1 from LeandreNs group buy) and put it in an Aluminum case with the plastic protector between the PCB and the case. I didn't load any different firmware on it.

The board worked completely fine for a while, then suddenly while I was doing a typing test the board didn't send keystrokes to the computer anymore.

This is the output of dmesg on Linux if I plug in the board:
[ 4698.796211] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
[ 4698.908360] usb 3-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 4699.012320] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 5.
[ 4699.012324] usb 3-1: hub failed to enable device, error -22
[ 4699.124356] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd
[ 4699.240500] usb 3-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 4699.344431] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 6.
[ 4699.344435] usb 3-1: hub failed to enable device, error -22
[ 4699.456558] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
[ 4699.456697] usb 3-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 4699.660731] usb 3-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 4699.864638] usb 3-1: device not accepting address 8, error -71
[ 4699.976726] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
[ 4699.976880] usb 3-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 4700.180903] usb 3-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 4700.384859] usb 3-1: device not accepting address 9, error -71
[ 4700.384884] usb usb3-port1: unable to enumerate USB device

On windows it just says "Device not recognized"

So far I've tried unplugging and plugging back in the keyboard, rebooting my computer, another USB cable, and flashing new firmware to the PCB. This does not fix the problem.

I noticed in this guide that LEDs should be flashing when I plug in the board while holding Q, but I don't have any LEDs soldered into the board. I tried holding an LED to the contact points while plugging in the board and holding Q and the LED was in fact flashing (so the board is probably not completely dead).

I hope any of you can give me some pointers (maybe threads from people with similar problems) or a solution.

Having the exact same issue. Did you solve it?
Its been working fine since I got it a couple of years ago. Then one day it just stopped, got the unrecognized message same as you. Plugging it to my linux machine gives the same output as you.
I've tried pressing Q and flashing new firmware and keymap and that works fine but replugging it it makes no difference.
I noticed that Caps log and backspace flashes quickly upon plugging it in.
SS 7G black - Pure red - poker blue (MKC Tray)

Offline KHAANNN

Have you tried pressing and holding U to put the keyboard in USB mode?
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline bakteria

Hold U while plugging it in?
If so I just tried it and its the same. No difference.

Offline KHAANNN

holding U puts the keyboard in USB mode, application is similar to holding Q for flash, holding P makes it PS2

It might be a BIOS issue, if Linux/Windows is the same device, have you tried the keyboard on 1+ systems?
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline bakteria

holding U puts the keyboard in USB mode, application is similar to holding Q for flash, holding P makes it PS2

It might be a BIOS issue, if Linux/Windows is the same device, have you tried the keyboard on 1+ systems?

I see. Neither USB or PS2 modes has any effect. I've tried it on multiple machines and its the same on all of them.
If I plug it in to my windows machine now its not even recognized. I cant find a trace of it in the device manager.

Offline jorgenslee

I'm having an issue on my B.face with HHKB layout. On Mac OS, I can't Ctrl + Arrow keys(FN + [;/'). I use this combination to navigate to multiple desktops. Is someone having this issue? I can't confirm if this is a firmware issue or I  did something wrong during soldering, all keys working fine though.

Silly me, I assembled the kb and didn't realize FN + ctrl triggers the LED mode. All working now.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 July 2016, 18:54:30 by jorgenslee »

Offline Zealousy

• Twitter
So I followed the directions and flashed the board... and now the keys are all mapped incorrectly. I tested it in Switch Hitter before flashing and after flashing, and now the keys are seemingly randomly assigned. I tried to put it in flashing mode by holding down the Q button when plugging the USB cable in, but now Q isn't Q and it doesn't recognize it when I run the HIDBootFlash.exe - wondering what I can do to fix it?

EDIT: Here is the bootmap mode reading (which I can boot into because tab is bound [as C for some reason]) It is normal 60% ANSI layout, standard bottom row:

« Last Edit: Mon, 15 August 2016, 20:04:57 by Zealousy »

Offline Malenky

I'm having a similar issue where my PC says my USB device malfunctioned...
When I went to flash it back to stock, it says flash completed, but it's still on the previous hex file when I re-open HIDbootflash.
I can go into flash mode (holding Q) but not bootmap mode (holding Tab)
Is there a way to hard reset this thing?

Did you ever fix this? I'm having a similar issue.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Was hoping someone could help me. I'm not too familiar with the software but I followed everything as I read through it.

I'm stuck on the HIDBootFlash v1.0 portion in which I have to hold down the Q key and plug it in, then click Find Device. I have been unable to detect the device no matter if I press tab, Q, or U. When I plug it into my Windows 8 system, I see it appear as a ps2avrGB device. I can't seem to type anything on it.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Looks like I was able to get it to flash by going to BootMapperClient and going to Options, then hitting set bootloader, then going to HIDBootFlash.

Unfortunately for some odd reason my keymap is all over the place. Right now, the F key is A, and a bunch of other things are weird. I've checked to see nothing is shorted. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Zealousy

• Twitter
Thanks to eszett I was able to load a keymain hex file and then a keymap, but a few keys (backspace, enter, m, comma) were misprogrammed. However, when I go to put the keyboard in bootloader mode. I think I was supposed to use the GKP keymain hex file instead of the NKRO hex file. Either way, now I can't get it to recognize bootloader mode. Any ideas?

Offline Angrychair

I had a loose solder joint and dead LED on mine recently, touched up the solder joint on the loose one, and replaced the burned out LED, and it's back to 100% !

Sprit60      Poker II      Code                  Corsair K70

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
I did not read through the whole thing. Is there a way to load what a board is currently set with?

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
I did not read through the whole thing. Is there a way to load what a board is currently set with?

BootMapper Client v0.8.2 has a Download button but I think it only worlds for the ps2avrGB PCBs.

When you select ps2avrU & ps2avrU_split from the dropdown menu (for use with the FaceW), the Download button becomes grayed out.

P.S. I should update this guide soon.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder

BootMapper Client v0.8.2 has a Download button but I think it only worlds for the ps2avrGB PCBs.

When you select ps2avrU & ps2avrU_split from the dropdown menu (for use with the FaceW), the Download button becomes grayed out.

Ok thanks. Trying to learn how to do this and having a couple of learning curves. haha
Thanks for this thread. Literally the only thing out there that helps.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here

Ok thanks. Trying to learn how to do this and having a couple of learning curves. haha
Thanks for this thread. Literally the only thing out there that helps.

You're welcome! Glad this helps. :cool:

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
This may be a dumb question but.. I tried gaming with this board and quickly realized it does not support N-Key rollover. Is there a way to change this?

Offline Ragequit

Getting errors when uncompressing "bootmapperclient" part 1 and 2.

Someone has the file?

Can use TKG toolkit to reflash otherwise?

Offline Ragequit

This one works: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bn9flirkb49ahz/BootMapperClient.zip?dl=0

Can I use Ps2avrGB4U firmware with the FaceW? I don't want to brick it or something.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
This one works: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bn9flirkb49ahz/BootMapperClient.zip?dl=0

Can I use Ps2avrGB4U firmware with the FaceW? I don't want to brick it or something.

I just tested ps2avrGB4U_firmware_V1.3.2_170531.zip from https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/releases

It works but I had to hold down "U" while plugging in the keyboard to get it back into USB mode.

I used ps2avrGB4U_NKRO.hex and the keymap keymap_part(thumb)(face)(XTen).hex.

I hope this helps. :)

Update: It looks like my FN3 layer is no longer working.  Going to check if the the keymap needs to be changed or updated. FN3 still works.  My oddball setup of mapping FN3 to the Esc position and then having Esc mapped in FN3 doesn't work anymore. :))
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 July 2017, 09:54:01 by infiniti »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
Re: The Unofficial FaceW Manual for ps2avrU Firmware V1.7 (15 Feb 2015)
« Reply #241 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 10:59:28 »
Updated the guide with with new screenshots and BootMapperClient version 0.9.0. :thumb:

While the faceW will work with ps2avrGB firmware, I observed that you lose the ps2avrU Menu (I use Lazy FN) and I couldn't get some of my macros to work so I decided to stick with ps2avrU Firmware V1.7 (15 Feb 2015).

Offline Ragequit

« Reply #242 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 09:24:18 »
Updated the guide with with new screenshots and BootMapperClient version 0.9.0. :thumb:

While the faceW will work with ps2avrGB firmware, I observed that you lose the ps2avrU Menu (I use Lazy FN) and I couldn't get some of my macros to work so I decided to stick with ps2avrU Firmware V1.7 (15 Feb 2015).

Thank, I got it to work after a few tries. Now it works.  MORE OR LESS.
I still got another problem,
sometimes after a while being plugged in the board keeps resetting itself back to default keymaps for no apparent reason,
then I have to replug it everytime to get my custom keymap back, very annoying in the long run! everytime having to plug/unplug and the board randomly stopping to work properly.
Any idea what might be the cause of this and how to fix it?
Im running ps2avrU_firmware_V1.7_150215

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #243 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 17:03:22 »
Can anyone advise on programming a PS2avrGB board, to use characters not shown within the GUI? For example, how do program the £ symbol?

I've created my desired layout on keyboard-layout-editor and saved the .json, but when I try to upload it to Bootmapper Client I just get an error..
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 03:37:41 »
Can anyone advise on programming a PS2avrGB board, to use characters not shown within the GUI? For example, how do program the £ symbol?
Keyboards don't send characters but they actually send scancodes yet, since they are unintellegible for the human user, firmware programmers, such as Boot Mapper Client, use the ANSI layout for reference so we can build our layouts around them.
That said, if you want the £ character by shifting the number 3 on the number row, you just need to set 3 # in your layout, as that's the ANSI equivalent scancode, and set your keyboard layout to UK, as you surely have already, in your operating system. On the other hand, if you want the pound glyph on its own key, for whatever reason, you can achieve that with a macro and a ALT code.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #245 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 04:01:12 »
Ah OK. What I was trying to achieve was.. I literally use the ANSI US keyboard layout as it's by far my favourite, the only thing I wanted to change was Shift+4 to display £ rather than $, as I'm in the UK of course. But I think for now, an ALT code might be the best option..

I think if I use the UK keyboard language in Windows it'll want to move everything else around like ", @, #  etc.. which I dislike.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 04:53:40 »
the only thing I wanted to change was Shift+4 to display £ rather than $, as I'm in the UK of course.
You can't mix scancodes, so your number 4 will always only generate the dollar symbol when shifted.

But I think for now, an ALT code might be the best option..
Best if not the only one. You can assign that macro on a function layer on the number 4.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #247 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 05:00:18 »
Thanks, I'll have a play with it tonight and see what I can come up with

Offline giammin

« Reply #248 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 08:25:30 »
This manual is very clear but I have some probably noob questions i cant find an answer for.

I inherited a 60%  facew board. in the bottom of the pcb it says: facew sprit edition ps2avru v1.0

it has a split rshift and split backspace layout (ANSI) and from my tests it has the default keymap

how do i identify which firmware is on?
should i upgrade to latest? if yes should  I use the keymain_NKRO.hex ?

In the BootMapperClient should i select "ps2avrU & ps2avrU_split"

The default keymap I should use as starting template is  "keymap_part(thumb)(face)(XTen).hex" ?

cannot find in the lower part of bootmapperclient (where you can choice the keys to map) the fn next to split rshift

Offline Ragequit

« Reply #249 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 10:43:09 »
Just wanted to point out to anyone considering this board, it has a LOT of keystroke latency, aka input latency of approx 20-30ms.

How do I know this? because ive compareed my reaction time with other keyboards.

TLDR: bad for gaming