Author Topic: The Unofficial FaceW Manual for ps2avrU Firmware V1.7 (15 Feb 2015)  (Read 339888 times)

Offline teraflame

Re: The Unofficial FaceW Manual for ps2avrU Firmware V1.7 (15 Feb 2015)
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 11:19:48 »
I love you man.
Rubber in domes

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 12:12:21 »
Talking Tree explanations make it easy to understand, thank you very much.

Offline giammin

« Reply #252 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 03:23:44 »
This manual is very clear but I have some probably noob questions i cant find an answer for.

I inherited a 60%  facew board. in the bottom of the pcb it says: facew sprit edition ps2avru v1.0

it has a split rshift and split backspace layout (ANSI) and from my tests it has the default keymap

how do i identify which firmware is on?
should i upgrade to latest? if yes should  I use the keymain_NKRO.hex ?

In the BootMapperClient should i select "ps2avrU & ps2avrU_split"

The default keymap I should use as starting template is  "keymap_part(thumb)(face)(XTen).hex" ?

cannot find in the lower part of bootmapperclient (where you can choice the keys to map) the fn next to split rshift

someone could help me, please

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #253 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 05:03:49 »
This manual is very clear but I have some probably noob questions i cant find an answer for.

I inherited a 60%  facew board. in the bottom of the pcb it says: facew sprit edition ps2avru v1.0

it has a split rshift and split backspace layout (ANSI) and from my tests it has the default keymap

how do i identify which firmware is on?
should i upgrade to latest? if yes should  I use the keymain_NKRO.hex ?

In the BootMapperClient should i select "ps2avrU & ps2avrU_split"

The default keymap I should use as starting template is  "keymap_part(thumb)(face)(XTen).hex" ?

cannot find in the lower part of bootmapperclient (where you can choice the keys to map) the fn next to split rshift
I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. Do you want to split Right Shift and Backspace to assign new scancodes?
If so you can use the Bootmapper function. Open a text editor, plug in the USB cable while holding down Tab and then press 9 when it prompts.
Any key you'll be pressing now will show the matrix entry on your text editor.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline giammin

« Reply #254 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 05:16:23 »
Sorry to be unclear and thanks for your reply

my questions are:

- how do i identify which firmware is on my board?
- if i dont have the latest firmware should i upgrade?
- is it possible to use QMKor TMK instead of the BootMapperClient?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #255 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 05:33:44 »
- how do i identify which firmware is on my board?
I don't think it's possible.

- if i dont have the latest firmware should i upgrade?
Usually it's good practise to do so but, if you're not experiencing any bugs, you can do without.

- is it possible to use QMKor TMK instead of the BootMapperClient?
Read luizribeiro's posts in this github discussion.

Offline giammin

« Reply #256 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 05:41:41 »
Thank you very much!

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #257 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 03:09:46 »
I'm currently trying to flash a FaceW right now and having some issues. How do I actually apply the hex file? Pretty positive I have the right firmware ready to go, but I get a device not detected error when I use the "Firm up" option in bootmapper client and when I try to use the HIDBootflash. Any idea why my device isn't being recognized?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #258 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 04:15:03 »
Different devices are put into bootloader mode in different ways.

Two ways that I recall off the top of my head are:
  • Plug the keyboard in while holding down Q.
  • With a plugged in keyboard, press and hold both shifts, left control and left alt.

What's your device anyway?

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #259 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 04:46:37 »
Different devices are put into bootloader mode in different ways.

Two ways that I recall off the top of my head are:
  • Plug the keyboard in while holding down Q.
  • With a plugged in keyboard, press and hold both shifts, left control and left alt.

What's your device anyway?

It's a FaceW. I'm very familiar with bootmapper client, but I've never used one of these PCBs before. It has no physical bootloader button, so I'm not really sure how to get it into boot mode.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #260 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 05:55:31 »
I'm a bit rusty with the FaceW but I think it should be put into bootloader state by pressing Q while plugging the USB cable in.

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #261 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 06:14:21 »
I'm a bit rusty with the FaceW but I think it should be put into bootloader state by pressing Q while plugging the USB cable in.

Seems to have helped that step. I'm now able to flash a .hex via the HIDbootflash. But, now how do I program the layout? When I go into bootmapper, I don't have the "Download" command for ps2avrU. When I download the layout as ps2avrgb, it seems like it works, and lets me setup a layout, but when I apply it, I get stuck in an infinite "waiting" screen. :(
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 October 2017, 06:17:39 by Quakemz »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #262 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 06:29:13 »
But, now how do I program the layout? When I go into bootmapper, I don't have the "Download" command for ps2avrU. When I download the layout as ps2avrgb, it seems like it works, and lets me setup a layout, but when I apply it, I get stuck in an infinite "waiting" screen. :(
Make sure you are running the latest version (0.9.0 as we speak) and also make sure you have downloaded the ps2avrU firmware. They are both in infiniti's original post about mid of the second paragraph.

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #263 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 03:49:21 »
But, now how do I program the layout? When I go into bootmapper, I don't have the "Download" command for ps2avrU. When I download the layout as ps2avrgb, it seems like it works, and lets me setup a layout, but when I apply it, I get stuck in an infinite "waiting" screen. :(
Make sure you are running the latest version (0.9.0 as we speak) and also make sure you have downloaded the ps2avrU firmware. They are both in infiniti's original post about mid of the second paragraph.

I do believe I got it now. Thank you so much! :)

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #264 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 07:03:48 »
This thread is quite good as telling you what you need, but it didn't really help me much for what order I needed to do things in, so I figured I'd make a list for novices like myself so you can see in a really concise way how to do things:

-Download newest firmware (https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/releases | I used ps2avrGB4U_firmware_V1.3.3_170922.zip) and bootmapper 9.0 (http://blog.winkeyless.kr/183?)
-Open bootmapper and click "toggle bootmapper" towards the top
-Select ps2avrU in drop down menu
-Load a .hex file (I used the XTen one in the firmware folder)
-Alter the layout how you want it, by clicking the physical key you want to program on the keyboard, then clicking on the virtual keyboard with your mouse)
-Once you have it the way you want, save the .hex file (I rewrote the XTen one)
-Unplug your keyboard
-Plug it back in while holding Q for 5+ seconds
-Open up HIDbootflash in the firmware folder
-Click "find device"
-Load the .hex file of your new desired layout
-Check the "reboot avr" box
-Flash it
-That should be it! That's what worked perfectly for me, at least. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 October 2017, 07:08:54 by Quakemz »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #265 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 14:36:58 »
Okay, so I've had a couple of these laying around for a while and just built one.  This thread is enormously helpful.  I had only used winkeyless PCBs with bootmapper in the past, and bootmapper is quite a different experience on these boards.

On my B.87 PCB, I just do everything through the Bootmapper GUI.  It just all works.  With the FaceW, I'm using bootmapper client to generate a hex and then flashing it with the HID Boot Flash application.  Makes sense now, but it took me a while to wrap my head around it.

Also, I'm dumb but it took me a while to figure out the difference between Bootloader mode and Bootmapper mode.  I've got it now.

Question, any ideas on how to implement dual actions on this board?  I use them on my B.87 and it works like a charm.  No such luck on this board.  I want to use dual action on caps lock, so holding caps lock makes it a function key, and pressing it alone makes it a caps lock.  It works on my B.87, but on this board, I never get caps lock.  Just a function key.

« Last Edit: Mon, 05 February 2018, 14:52:07 by reececonrad »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:08:36 »
Once again, thanks for this guide, I keep re-visiting it bi-yearly

Just built another Sprit PCB, it's a weird one, when I connect it to Windows, it sometimes just flashes CapsLock and NumLock leds repeatedly

When I connect it to USB-USB converter of hasu, it similarly flashes CapsLock and NumLock repeatedly - I only once got it to work by the converter, couldn't reproduce

When I connect it to Macos directly, it works, so I'm hoping it's a simple issue

Any ideas?

(My ultimate plan is to just install QMK, but QMK's ps2avrGB has build issues)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 09:31:01 »

Just built another Sprit PCB, it's a weird one, when I connect it to Windows, it sometimes just flashes CapsLock and NumLock leds repeatedly

When I connect it to USB-USB converter of hasu, it similarly flashes CapsLock and NumLock repeatedly - I only once got it to work by the converter, couldn't reproduce

When I connect it to Macos directly, it works, so I'm hoping it's a simple issue

Any ideas?

You gotta use the b.fake QMK files in order to do it. I'm running QMK on mine right now, but there are issues. Keyboard tends to overheat after some period of time. It's because the polling rate on these boards using the QMK algorithm is a lot higher than normal (7x). At least that's my theory right now.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #268 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 09:41:10 »
You gotta use the b.fake QMK files in order to do it. I'm running QMK on mine right now, but there are issues. Keyboard tends to overheat after some period of time. It's because the polling rate on these boards using the QMK algorithm is a lot higher than normal (7x). At least that's my theory right now.

I installed the TMK port, but the overheating is super concerning, I never even considered heat on a keyboard before

I'd probably try to bridge the controller heat-wise to the aluminium case

How do you feel the heat - is it enough to be felt through the case?
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #269 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 10:08:22 »
It's warm, it's warm enough to shut down the keyboard unexpectedly. It's happened 4 times since I loaded QMK on it 2.5 weeks ago.

I'd stick with BMC.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #270 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 12:41:52 »
It's a bummer, on one hand, the keyboard enters a reset loop if I use the usb-usb converter, on the other hand, there's the overheating issue you brought up

I have a spare PCB, probably going to do some testing on that - hoping for a best case scenario where that PCB enters the reset loop with firmware 1.7, but doesn't overheat using TMK

A side question is, if we reduce the polling rate of T/QMK, does the firmware still register keypresses at those speeds, if that's the case, it might be an easy fix

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:45:03 »
Why not just stick with BMC?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #272 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:57:34 »
Why not just stick with BMC?

BMC?

Edit: Ah, BootMapper Client - sadly my TMK stuff is pretty complex, I have a custom Alt modifier logic to switch the keyboard language and extend the Alt+Character behaviour
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:58:09 by KHAANNN »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #273 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 07:25:38 »
Testing the TMK port on a PCB now, so far so good, the board itself is 20C, the MCU is 22C - so pretty much room temperature

So far only mapped Q and 1, however, even with all my actions and layers, the firmware was 22.5KB's - mapping seems like a breeze too, I'll share my experiences once I conclude things and test them for 1-2 days

Very excited to just leave this ps2avr stuff behind, I also tested ps2avrGB, and that didn't work with the usb-usb converter either, then I bricked my converter trying to use the latest TMK, the .hex size probably exceeded 30k, dfu-programmer doesn't check this before erasing, and after erasing, the converter acted like it's bricked - bootloaderHID seems to just check things beforehand which is good, and luckily, the TMK port was 22kb's

I also checked about what could be done to slow the polling rate, maybe QMK is different, or things changed after you tested them, on the matrix scan code, there seems to be a delay command, and on the vusb side, as I see, luizribeiro tested polling rates too, added a comment related to that - so I'm hoping for the best

Result: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85943.msg2580149#msg2580149
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2018, 07:26:41 by KHAANNN »

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #274 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 18:19:47 »
Just want to stop by to say thank you for this amazing guide!
It helped me a lot to re-programm this ****ty FaceU replica PCB so that my significant other now enjoys some good old ISO glory :)

Thanks a lot!

Offline giammin

« Reply #275 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 07:04:55 »
----deleted-----

sorry wrong discussion..

Mod Note: forgiven ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2020, 03:43:09 by infiniti »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #276 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 03:41:57 »
I was about to give up trying to get QMK on my FaceW until this...going to add this to the OP.  Thanks!  ;)

Any ideas?

Offline pott

« Reply #277 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 00:35:13 »
Hi folks; I just got a faceW today and I'm struggling. I can put it in bootmapper mode following this SOP. But what I'm truly interested in is using it with QMK.

I am confused as to whether this is indeed possible.
I used the QMK Configurator to generate a .hex file for it (https://config.qmk.fm/#/facew/LAYOUT_all) so I kind of assumed it's possible; but I don't think I figured out how to the keyboard to accept the new .hex or, as I guess I am missing, to flash QMK onto it.

I searched for that too, but to no avail. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #278 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 11:01:29 »
So much time passed that I forgot everything about the PCB / firmware, but yes, you can't just flash the QMK .hex, you need to flash QMK first

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85943 <- this thread might lead somewhere

Offline pott

« Reply #279 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 00:17:47 »
Thanks! Unfortunately nothing in this thread rings any bells/makes sense to me, so I guess this is out of my reach for now.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #280 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 09:44:16 »
Hi folks; I just got a faceW today and I'm struggling. I can put it in bootmapper mode following this SOP. But what I'm truly interested in is using it with QMK.

I am confused as to whether this is indeed possible.
I used the QMK Configurator to generate a .hex file for it (https://config.qmk.fm/#/facew/LAYOUT_all) so I kind of assumed it's possible; but I don't think I figured out how to the keyboard to accept the new .hex or, as I guess I am missing, to flash QMK onto it.

I searched for that too, but to no avail. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

As described in the readme section, you need to hold the RESET key to put the board into bootloader mode. Once you've done that you can flash the firmware on to it.