Author Topic: IBM Model F Mods?  (Read 9868 times)

Offline msiegel

IBM Model F Mods?
« on: Mon, 18 May 2009, 19:28:03 »
Anyone know of a 60-key mod for IBM Model F (PC/AT layout)?

I would love to have a mini version in US ASCII layout, and after seeing Chloe's XT dissection I'm starting to think it's possible :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline lowpoly

IBM Model F Mods?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 04:46:38 »
I have never seen one but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Maybe ask at kbdmania's english forum.

Looks possible to me, and probably a much better choice than a Model M.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Model F Mods?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 17:10:10 »
The only thing I'd consider doing to mine is replacing the keys with two-piece keys from a Model M. Other than that, I wouldn't touch mine. The retro charm is amazing, wouldn't want to mess with it :p

Of course, if you had an XT one, you could build the XT to PS/2 controller into it, maybe hook it up to a usb convertor an run a new cable out of it?

Offline msiegel

IBM Model F Mods?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 May 2009, 01:04:43 »
ch_123, do you notice whether one-piece keys transmit spring vibrations any better or worse than the two-piece keys?

in the model m, i suspect the rubber mat under the hammers helps damp spring vibrations, but i'm wondering if the keys have something to do with it too.

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Model F Mods?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 May 2009, 15:58:13 »
I have no idea. I intend at some point to steal some two piece keycaps from a disused Model M in my college. When I do so, I'll let you know.

Btw - I actually didn't notice your original post when I posted the above. Someone found that with the Model M, that an ANSI layout Model M had the necessary contacts for the Euro layout, and vice versa, it was just that the buckling spring assembly was missing. I'm not sure if this is true for the AT Model F as it was only made in one layout (as far as I can see) so they might not have bothered including the rather expensive capacitive switches in places where they were not really needed.

Offline msiegel

IBM Model F Mods?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 May 2009, 21:38:56 »
:) thanks, that's good to know

http://bash.org/?56554

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Model F Mods?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 May 2009, 03:36:03 »
I must point out - the two-piece keycap idea was for the coolness factor as opposed to any benefits in feel or the like. My Unicomp has a mixture of two piece and one piece keys, and you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
IBM Model F Mods?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 May 2009, 15:01:49 »
Just an update - I actually tried two piece keycaps on the Model F. There was a difference for sure... the two piece caps sucked. They seemed to cushion the feel of the action (making it kinda mushy in comparison to how it usually feels), but didn't affect the noise.