Author Topic: [GB] Nuclear Data Green SA Row 3 - The long awaited keycap set.  (Read 257112 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: [GB] Nuclear Data Green SA Row 3 - LIVE ON PMK NOW!
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 02:09:52 »
If there were a JD40 mods kit, I would buy both a base kit and JD40 kit so I could use Vibex's JWUP layout.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 08:18:12 »

Just so long as Signature Plastics doesn't think it is intentional and dutifully replicate the raised letter when they make the keys.

I want to make sure I'm clear on one thing:  Will all the legends (other than the nuclear symbol and arrows) be in SP's standard Gorton Modified font?

The error was in the images for the web site, not production.  Nevertheless, we will be checking the final SVG files carefully.

I do not know the font; it should be the same as Round4, but I will check.

If there were a JD40 mods kit, I would buy both a base kit and JD40 kit so I could use Vibex's JWUP layout.

I was trying to figure out exactly what those mods would be, and quickly realized it is layout-dependent.  Mine is different than the one you posted in the "Show me" thread, and I haven't seen Vibex' layout.

What is the "standard" JD40 layout, and which sizes and legends are missing?  What is the JD40 Mod Kit, exactly?

- Ron | samwisekoi

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Data

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 09:35:33 »
I see orange blanks!

ORANGE BLANKS!  YAY!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 09:55:33 »
What is the "standard" JD40 layout, and which sizes and legends are missing?  What is the JD40 Mod Kit, exactly?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Well, I was thinking along the lines of a 1x Fn, 1x Bksp or Back, 1.25x Tab, 1.25x Shift, 1.75x Return, 1.75x Shift, bundled together. Maybe a 1x Ctrl and 1x Alt, too. Just so you don't have to buy several different kits to cover "standard" legends. I know blanks are readily available, and 1.25x mods are covered by the base set.

"Standard" layout would be something like this, although of course everyone is going to have their own tweaks:

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline chrisq

« Reply #204 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 14:18:02 »
Yeah, I got in on this group buy as well, and pushed the blank 2x orange keys past MOQ...
Fortunately I have a job  :-[

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #205 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 17:50:50 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

Well, I was thinking along the lines of a 1x Fn, 1x Bksp or Back, 1.25x Tab, 1.25x Shift, 1.75x Return, 1.75x Shift, bundled together. Maybe a 1x Ctrl and 1x Alt, too. Just so you don't have to buy several different kits to cover "standard" legends. I know blanks are readily available, and 1.25x mods are covered by the base set.

"Standard" layout would be something like this, although of course everyone is going to have their own tweaks:

Show Image

Ok, I'll look at that.

Me, I am going with custom printed WASD keycaps in OEM profile, but I think a DCS JD40 set would be sweet!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline nomaded

« Reply #206 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 18:42:44 »
I just put in my order for the base kit, with ErgoDox blank modifiers in green and orange, and the radioactive kit.

Will the child deals that have tipped go through if the parent deal doesn't tip?

And this will be the last time I bring this up, is the 'I' in the base key supposed to be serifed? If yes, it no longer matches the san-serifed 'J' and the keyboard that inspired this set.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #207 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 19:05:34 »
Whoa, the Iso kit is free now! I'm guessing it's just SP's mistake though... Should we tell them?  ;)
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #208 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 19:09:24 »
Will the child deals that have tipped go through if the parent deal doesn't tip?

I bid on a child deal that didn't tip, and the parent did ... and I got nothing. I'm pretty sure I tried getting a tipped child deal with an un-tipped parent, and no -- they don't produce anything. The child deal prices assume the parent deal "tips" thus making working with that color/mold worthwhile for SP.

So ... buy an extra base kit? There's a GB for phantom plates running another week; you could build / sell an ANSI150 phantom to pay for your home keyboard maybe? I' still considering doing that, actually.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #209 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 20:42:54 »
So, why is this thread in the GB section instead of the SP subforum like all the other PMK buys? Not trying to stir things up, I just know I'd love to post mine in here if we're allowing that now.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 20:48:40 »
So, why is this thread in the GB section instead of the SP subforum like all the other PMK buys? Not trying to stir things up, I just know I'd love to post mine in here if we're allowing that now.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61198.msg1422386#msg1422386

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #211 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 20:50:50 »

Thanks, missed that.  I still wish I could post mine in here without getting it banished :(  Or anyone who came up with a nice cap set who wants SP to handle the distribution for that matter.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 20:53:55 by nubbinator »

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #212 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 23:18:44 »
Are these keycaps PBT or ABS?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 23:45:57 »

Doubleshot ABS.  It's not possible to dyesub the lighter legends onto a darker keycap.  That's always a good indication.   :thumb:

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 00:00:05 »

Doubleshot ABS.  It's not possible to dyesub the lighter legends onto a darker keycap.  That's always a good indication.   :thumb:

Sorry for the noob question ^_^ Totally remember reading that on the SP page too LOL

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #215 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 03:21:36 »

I'm pretty bitter about the whole situation

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #216 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 05:15:13 »
Still 15 base sets to go, and 10 specialty kits....

I'm having trouble logging in at PMK currently. Want to order some orange blanks! Even the "Reset password" link doesn't send an email...
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #217 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 05:53:18 »
I'm pretty bitter about the whole situation

No need to be bud.  Life's to short to waste it on frivolous matters only, instead concentrate on the great stuff that's coming our way here  :thumb: .

It should tip easily and we can ogle at some decent old-style key-sets to fill up on some keyboards here.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #218 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 08:17:12 »
PMK is back up. Probably down for the nightly back-up job.

Yes we should tell them about the ISO price.

And I was away when the vendor-directed thing happened, so I put this thread where I would have done normally.  And now I am working on sorting that policy out -- in the background.

Meanwhile, nobody worry about the Base Set 'tipping'. It already broke 25, and we think it will break 100. If nothing else, these sets will be good to have for later sale or trade.

I do have to figure out all the serifs and images once and for all, however!

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 August 2014, 08:18:55 by samwisekoi »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #219 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 08:44:25 »
current status

ISO at $0 is quite interesting :D

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #220 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 08:53:44 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

Show Image

Maybe I'm missing something, because I thought the 16-key Speciality Kit covered the base JD40.  Am I wrong?

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #221 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 13:11:22 »
Letting everyone know that as a companion to this set, I have created a Fallout novelty keycap that will be up for the exact time left of this deal. All the keycap dimensions will be the same, so grab yours today:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?board=159.0
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #222 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:55:32 »
Samwisekoi -- I think I saw you driving around Nashville yesterday. So RUDE you didn't stop and say hello!  >:D

Don't deny it, I have PROOF!!!!!!

;)

Offline nomaded

« Reply #223 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 15:19:57 »
Letting everyone know that as a companion to this set, I have created a Fallout novelty keycap that will be up for the exact time left of this deal. All the keycap dimensions will be the same, so grab yours today:

I think you meant to link to [GB] Out of the Vault: Inspired by Fallout - Vault 13 - SA Row 3 Double Shot.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #224 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 15:22:53 »

I think you meant to link to [GB] Out of the Vault: Inspired by Fallout - Vault 13 - SA Row 3 Double Shot.

I can't figure out how to do that...doh! PM me with instructs, so's I don't bore people with my lack of linkage, my lackage... :rolleyes:
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline nomaded

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 18:07:15 »
I bid on a child deal that didn't tip, and the parent did ... and I got nothing. I'm pretty sure I tried getting a tipped child deal with an un-tipped parent, and no -- they don't produce anything. The child deal prices assume the parent deal "tips" thus making working with that color/mold worthwhile for SP.

I guess that makes sense. I was hoping that even if the parent deal didn't tip, they would still make the 33 (current) Radioactive kits, along with the 157 1x green blanks, the 61 1.5x green blanks, and the 79 1x orange blanks. That's a pretty good number of key caps there.

So ... buy an extra base kit? There's a GB for phantom plates running another week; you could build / sell an ANSI150 phantom to pay for your home keyboard maybe? I' still considering doing that, actually.

Sorry, I only have 4 keyboards with Cherry MX keys. And have no plans to buy any more staggered keyboards.
Dvorak

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: [GB] Nuclear Data Green Old-Skool Keycaps ($63 at 100 sets!)
« Reply #226 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 08:53:25 »
Updated OP #2 with the following statement and image.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61198.msg1419192#msg1419192

Go to OP#2 (click on the link above) to see the revised image!

- Ron | samwisekoi

NEW FONTS ON IMAGES

This is not live on PMK yet, but I went through the "official" SVG file and updated all the alphas, numbers, and function key legends to better match what we expect will be on the keycaps.

Here is a full image of the initial sets.  (I will also update the alternative combinations, e.g. Dvorak/Colemak.)

This is as close to the actual final fonts as I can get with a mock-up. 

Note the sans-serif "I", the updated "J", the base-less "1". The awesome slashed zeros.

I'll send this to SP as-is and split up into little images for the website.

OK?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 09:03:09 »
ISO Kit is still at $0...

Offline maladroid

« Reply #228 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 10:13:20 »
Looks like we're back to "ENTER" and the slash has disappeared from the 0) key.  Also, the vertical alignment of -_ is way off.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 August 2014, 10:21:36 by maladroid »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #229 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 10:37:50 »
Looks like we're back to "ENTER" and the slash has disappeared from the 0) key.  Also, the vertical alignment of -_ is way off.

<sigh>  That was done at 5:30am - will fix these and any other errors discovered.

Also, please remember this is a mock-up!

ISO Kit is still at $0...

And they have been out of the office since Thursday afternoon, so it hasn't even been reported, let alone fixed.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline nomaded

« Reply #230 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 15:45:38 »

<sigh>  That was done at 5:30am - will fix these and any other errors discovered.

Also, please remember this is a mock-up!

In addition to the missing slash in the 0) key, the F10 key is also missing the slash. But other than the already mention errors of the new mockup, everything else looks OK to me.
Dvorak

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #231 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 18:13:24 »
OK.  The image is fixed.  And this time I mean it.  ;)

The slashed zero is a special legend they have.  I believe we'll have to live with the tiny zero on the F10 key as-is.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #232 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 19:08:58 »
OK.  The image is fixed.  And this time I mean it.  ;)

The slashed zero is a special legend they have.  I believe we'll have to live with the tiny zero on the F10 key as-is.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Okay, you mean the the key with these 2 figures -    ")" and "0" ?

I don't get why you need to change the Zero's to slashed figures because it's a European element, which shouldn't be applied to an AMERICAN keyboard layout.  Don't get why you need to alter the figures that now make it look way too funky.  Maybe I'm wrong here but I prefer the original layout you used Sam because it looks appropriate and correct.

I noticed that F10 looks alright, the same as all the other numbers  :-\ .

Can you get Matt3o to provide a corrected image so that the whole keyboard layout isn't conflicted as it looks now?
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 August 2014, 19:15:02 by Elrick »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #233 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 21:12:37 »
Draftsmen even in America slash zeros, sevens and zeds.  I do that 100% of the time.

Also SP's old legends had the slashed zero.  Just not the F10 and as you point out, the 0) keycap.

I'll post a photo of the ancient piece of brass the zero will be shot with.  Real American history.

Truth.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #234 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 21:20:36 »
I'll post a photo of the ancient piece of brass the zero will be shot with.  Real American history.

Truth.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Then you Americans are closely aligned with the rest of Europe rather than having anything to do with the UK in any respect.  Here in Australia a lined in zero represents a European element because in England no one crosses a zero out (old style schooling here in Convict Town).

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #235 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 01:24:00 »
slashed 0 is an European thing?  maybe you are confused with Scandinavian's Ø, but that's a vowel, not a Zero.

Slashed zero is used (even in America) as a disambiguation with uppercase "O". It's mostly an old computers thing, but it's not uncommon in monospaced fonts.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 August 2014, 01:26:00 by Matt3o »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #236 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 02:04:42 »
Slashed zero is used (even in America) as a disambiguation with uppercase "O". It's mostly an old computers thing, but it's not uncommon in monospaced fonts.

I don't mind it being used BUT did you see it's size compared to the rest of the numbers used  :-[ ?  Any smaller and I'll  need to break out my magnifying glass to even see it (old man here).

Can you make the "0" below the ")" 2 points LARGER, to go with the rest of the numbers in that line ?
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 August 2014, 03:30:38 by Elrick »

Offline Data

« Reply #237 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 07:45:08 »

Exactly how I use it.

I kinda wish the zero numeral was slashed in all fonts to differentiate from an O.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 08:09:29 »
Can you make the "0" below the ")" 2 points LARGER, to go with the rest of the numbers in that line ?

It looks small in post #1, but looks perfectly fine in post #2.  I believe the second post is the updated version.  Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #239 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 09:04:27 »
OK, let's all back up here for a moment.

This is a DOUBLE-SHOT keycap set.  That means that no matter which font I make the MOCK-UP it won't change the ACTUAL LEGEND.  All of this beyond Enter/Return and the slashed-zero on the number pads ARE FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE ON THE WEB ONLY.

The font used in mockups does not affect the physical molds used for the keycap legends.

This is NOT a dye-sublimation keycap set.

Please, please, please calm down.

We have asked for THE LARGEST FONT SIZE THEY CAN PLACE ON KEYCAPS.  It will look EXACTLY like Round 3 EXCEPT for the words we chose, the special glyphs, and the slashed zero.

Now, I would very much like to stop talking about the WEBSITE MOCKUPS.  If I have forgotten to mention something in this rant, please don't immediately reply with a question about the Swedish slashed-O or something.

Did I mention this is a double-shot set THAT WILL BE TOTALLY AWESOME.  The pixels on my screen or yours have no power over brass and steel.

TOTALLY AWESOME!

[/rant]

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  I hesitate to post the attached genuinely old slashed-zero mold piece because it might generate a bunch of questions about mold marks.  Please don't make me regret providing this awesome piece of ACTUAL HISTORY we will be using to make this AWESOME keycap set.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 August 2014, 09:08:43 by samwisekoi »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #240 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 09:07:03 »
yes okay I get it. but J is still wrong. and is this sublimated?

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #241 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 09:13:23 »
yes okay I get it. but J is still wrong. and is this sublimated?

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Just because you invented banking, modern art, and started the freaking Renaissance, does not make you Florentines ALL smarty-pants.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 09:41:28 »
That mold is bad-ass!  :cool:

PS: Still pissed you drove right past me without waving. Just sayin'.  ;)

Offline Data

« Reply #243 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 09:56:29 »
Please, please, please calm down.

Didn't seem like anyone was getting upset.   :llama:

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 10:30:37 »
Lleaping llamas!  That wasn't me driving that truck.  I drive an all-electric Fiat 500e.  In California!

Also, I am calm now.  Been running traces for a 24-column, 122+ switch keyboard PCB for the last week, and I am starting to see them in my sleep.

Keyboards, think of lovely keyboards.

With AWESOME Nuclear Data Green (double-shot) keycaps!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #245 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 10:40:09 »
if only SP could dye-sub SA....

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 10:51:15 »

...I would be putting a bespoke Granite set on my JD40 later today.

With Fn-layer legends in a second color!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #247 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 11:13:56 »

What about an outside company for the dyesub on SA blanks? I'm thinking of the Star Trek set that was done this way.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #248 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 11:24:28 »

What about an outside company for the dyesub on SA blanks? I'm thinking of the Star Trek set that was done this way.

I am going to get some blanks and see if WASD Keyboards can use their new UV printing process on SP's SA keycaps.  Especially if they can do a good white on the dark green.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #249 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 11:26:59 »

I am going to get some blanks and see if WASD Keyboards can use their new UV printing process on SP's SA keycaps.  Especially if they can do a good white on the dark green.

- Ron | samwisekoi

This sounds interesting....