Author Topic: [GB] Nuclear Data Green SA Row 3 - The long awaited keycap set.  (Read 257202 times)

Offline SmrkngRvng

Re: [GB] Nuclear Data Green SA Row 3 - The long awaited keycap set.
« Reply #850 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 10:07:15 »
I cannot wait for this to drop! Definitely going to be picking it up whenever it does.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #851 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 09:50:17 »
I got back from SP and they are over-booked. Nuclear Data will be done again next year, but don't hold your breath.

Thats awesome! I always wanted this set.

Will this go on Massdrop? I know we need to wait but will it?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #852 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 09:52:20 »
I got back from SP and they are over-booked. Nuclear Data will be done again next year, but don't hold your breath.

Thats awesome! I always wanted this set.

Will this go on Massdrop? I know we need to wait but will it?

I believe @samwisekoi mentioned SP was just going to produce sets to stock on their own webstore eventually if they ever get caught up from the backlog of group buy SA sets.

Offline phinix

« Reply #853 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 20:21:45 »
****.. that means no ISO kits etc...  :'(
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #854 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 21:20:51 »

It does? They seem to have been getting better lately in what they provide in the store - for example the range of options for DSA dye-subbed seem quite good, so there might be hope that they'll just make all the previously produced kits if they do this. I'd love to see a day where they produce all their key sets with those level of options, and can actually keep them reasonably well stocked. My concern about Nuclear Data being made available through the store rather than via a group buy is that they'll sell out too quickly. At least group buys usually last a while and don't require you to be online at exactly the right time or miss out. Fingers crossed the round 2 group buy goes ahead...
TG3 BL82, Cherry MX clears
Access IS 15x8 matrix layout, Cherry MX blacks

Offline phinix

« Reply #855 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:19:20 »

It does? They seem to have been getting better lately in what they provide in the store - for example the range of options for DSA dye-subbed seem quite good, so there might be hope that they'll just make all the previously produced kits if they do this. I'd love to see a day where they produce all their key sets with those level of options, and can actually keep them reasonably well stocked. My concern about Nuclear Data being made available through the store rather than via a group buy is that they'll sell out too quickly. At least group buys usually last a while and don't require you to be online at exactly the right time or miss out. Fingers crossed the round 2 group buy goes ahead...

They don't do ISO kits for their SA in shop.

Like ICE set, industrials etc.
No ISO :(

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #856 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 19:26:12 »
They don't do ISO kits for their SA in shop.

Like ICE set, industrials etc.
No ISO :(

I'm starting to move from concerns into conjecture, but they wouldn't run Nuclear Data as a dye-subbed set (like Ice or Industrial) given the white legends. It'd have to be a full double shot set, similar to how they have recently restocked DSA Dolch. I just don't imagine there being many kit options, blanks, nor relegendables for Nuclear Data if it's handled this way.

On the bright side DSA Dolch still appears to be in stock, which might mean those who want it may have a chance at purchasing Nuclear Data if it's offered through the store, but then with so few kit options and a much lower demand on DSA I suppose it's not all that surprising that Dolch is still in stock.

Aware that I've fallen into the rumor-mill, would anyone care to pull me out with some hard facts?  :-[

Offline phinix

« Reply #857 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 09:34:50 »
Still no news on this one?

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #858 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 12:11:18 »
There were once many alternative suppliers for full-height "SA-style" keycaps.  Made in the USA, too.  Then everyone decided that $5 was the right amount to spend on the only part of a computer that requires tactile feedback all day. And so all but very few of the US manufacturers were driven out of the country or out of business.

The fact that SP survived at all is wonderful.  And the fact that now they have enough business to keep the factory running is fantastic.  This was not the case when Nuclear Data Green was first produced.  Some of the molds had to be found in nooks and crannies as very few people were interested in the original designs.

So, as people who appreciate the sweet goodness of proper keyboards, we should celebrate SP's success.  And perhaps pause to remember that we are asking a custom plastic molding factory with decades of history to stop what it is doing and satisfy our immediate cravings.  Go try to get Unicomp (née IBM Keyboards) to do that for you!

Show Image

Some GeekHack history from 07 March 2014.

Such lovely things, now shiny and new, are worth the wait.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Auto-typed by my GH-122 keyboard.

I stumbled across this post while skimming through this thread (huge fan of the set). I felt compelled to create an account here just to quote this post and say -- so very well put. Thanks for sharing those thoughts.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline bun

« Reply #859 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 07:09:00 »
Then everyone decided that $5 was the right amount to spend on the only part of a computer that requires tactile feedback all day.

I will never understand this. As long as I have lived I have always paid extra for quality on the understanding that it will save money in the long term while giving a better quality of life when using the item purchased. Personally, I have yet to experience a contradiction to this rule.

I stumbled across this post while skimming through this thread (huge fan of the set). I felt compelled to create an account here just to quote this post and say -- so very well put. Thanks for sharing those thoughts.

I too am a huge fan of this set. It was one of the first that caught my eye when I first started looking into keysets. I have an extreme need to pair this set with an matching green aluminium case and some nice green switches. Bonus points if the case weighs enough to put your back out when you lift it. Double bonus points if you pair it with an ancient green screen CRT and a TTY only linux environment.

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #860 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 16:13:10 »
I too am a huge fan of this set. It was one of the first that caught my eye when I first started looking into keysets. I have an extreme need to pair this set with an matching green aluminium case and some nice green switches. Bonus points if the case weighs enough to put your back out when you lift it. Double bonus points if you pair it with an ancient green screen CRT and a TTY only linux environment.

If you pull off such a build, I would very much like to see it :)
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #861 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 18:44:00 »
I got all excited when I saw this topic had new comments; I thought there was going to be news... it's more than 6 months since Matt3o hinted at Nuclear Data round 2 :'(

Offline TTheuns

« Reply #862 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 21:15:27 »
I got all excited when I saw this topic had new comments; I thought there was going to be news... it's more than 6 months since Matt3o hinted at Nuclear Data round 2 :'(
I first saw a picture of Nuclear Data when I just got into the keycap game. I've been waiting ever since. I legit have a separate savings account for this set.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #863 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 15:42:17 »
I first saw a picture of Nuclear Data when I just got into the keycap game. I've been waiting ever since. I legit have a separate savings account for this set.

I traded mine away a couple years ago...  I don't know why!!!  Take a look around in the classifieds, they exist, still! 

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
« Reply #864 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 16:39:23 »
Wow, I never would have expected there to be so much interest in these keys based on the photos I posted years ago!  If anyone desires more information about the original keyboards (photos with keycaps removed, etc.), I will do my best to supply that information.  I recently picked up some more Nuclear Data equipment just because it looked so damned cool:

http://computergraphicsmuseum.org/images/nuclear_data/ND-130A/401272839379-s-l1600-1.jpg

Offline The_Suec

« Reply #865 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 18:38:15 »
Wow, I never would have expected there to be so much interest in these keys based on the photos I posted years ago!  If anyone desires more information about the original keyboards (photos with keycaps removed, etc.), I will do my best to supply that information.  I recently picked up some more Nuclear Data equipment just because it looked so damned cool:

http://computergraphicsmuseum.org/images/nuclear_data/ND-130A/401272839379-s-l1600-1.jpg

Please let me know where I can find the pictures of the originals ? Or any pictures you have of nuclear related material, it has å amazing astetic

Offline rustywok

« Reply #866 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 21:00:24 »

That would be hard to resist. More Nuclear Data!

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
« Reply #867 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 12:09:42 »
Please let me know where I can find the pictures of the originals ? Or any pictures you have of nuclear related material, it has å amazing astetic

I had them on picasaweb before google ruined it.  They're now on my museum web site:

http://computergraphicsmuseum.org/images/nuclear_data/ND-812

I tried updating my original post with new URLs, but for some reason the image is still shown as broken.  The original post had this image:

http://computergraphicsmuseum.org/images/nuclear_data/ND-812/DSC_0168.jpg

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #868 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 19:17:21 »
hint hint

we will run this again :)

Is this still on your radar, or is the rerun unlikely to happen any time soon? Any news would be much appreciated.

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith
« Reply #869 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 23:27:50 »

My thought exactly sir.. Now im sad again..

Offline avid

« Reply #870 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 23:47:35 »
This is the SA set i want the most, i certainly hope we see R2.

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #871 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 17:02:25 »

My thought exactly sir.. Now im sad again..

Sorry for the false hope :-[
I figured one year on from the original announcement was a good time to ask for an update.

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #872 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 16:52:12 »
For anyone else like me that has been hanging out for any news on the rerun I came across this in a post over on DT

matt3o
08 Dec 2017, 07:25

"Nuclear Data is set to be released again at Signature Plastic. They told me August of this ending year, but it will more likely August of the next."

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #874 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 22:21:52 »
For anyone else like me that has been hanging out for any news on the rerun I came across this in a post over on DT

matt3o
08 Dec 2017, 07:25

"Nuclear Data is set to be released again at Signature Plastic. They told me August of this ending year, but it will more likely August of the next."

So... 2 years until next GB is run and 3 years until received? I’ll be checking this post regularly.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #875 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 12:35:42 »
believe it or not... Nuclear data finally went into production!

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #876 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 12:36:24 »

So, it will go straight to stock?  :eek:

Can we see kits etc already so we can plan ahead what to get? :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #877 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 12:36:41 »

waow
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline The_Suec

« Reply #878 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 13:05:45 »
Any chance we can get a notification prior to the sale, so that we that have been waiting for so long have a chance to actually get some before they get sold out ?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #879 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 13:19:33 »
Any chance we can get a notification prior to the sale, so that we that have been waiting for so long have a chance to actually get some before they get sold out ?

SP sent out a notification for Hana, so I imagine they'll send one out for this as well. Sign up for their mailing list and see what comes up.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Jedi

« Reply #880 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 13:49:46 »
SP SA Classic rock, you heard it here first on GH :thumb:

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
« Reply #881 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 14:28:57 »

SP sent out a notification for Hana, so I imagine they'll send one out for this as well. Sign up for their mailing list and see what comes up.

I just looked at their web site and didn't find a link to their mailing list.  Does anyone have the URL or signup process handy?

Offline Jedi

« Reply #882 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 14:40:15 »
I just looked at their web site and didn't find a link to their mailing list.  Does anyone have the URL or signup process handy?

Go to the pimpmykeyboard.com website and click to sign up for their newsletter at the bottom of the web page. They will send announcements on sets when they are available in store as well as other items like grab bags.

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
« Reply #883 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 14:42:27 »
Thanks!  I was looking at signatureplastics.com :)

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #884 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 20:45:45 »
Awesome news! Thanks Matt3o! :thumb:

Fingers crossed they make enough sets/kits to meet demand :-[

Offline Data

« Reply #885 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 14:30:12 »

Offline bun

« Reply #886 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 23:14:51 »

My prayers have finally been answered  :eek:

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #887 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 09:17:29 »
Was there a good reason they went all R3 originally?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #888 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 09:24:39 »

Support for any custom layouts, plus it's just a design choice.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #889 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 09:31:53 »

Disappointing, thought it had deeper meaning -> 'nuclear' event that reduced cites to one profile?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #890 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 09:41:41 »

Disappointing, thought it had deeper meaning -> 'nuclear' event that reduced cites to one profile?

Haha well I suppose it’s entirely possible that there is some deeper hidden meaning to it, but that was never made known to the participants if so. ;)

IIRC the boards that it took inspiration from also were typically all R3 profile, but I might be misremembering that one.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #891 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 18:02:17 »

Haha well I suppose it’s entirely possible that there is some deeper hidden meaning to it, but that was never made known to the participants if so. ;)

IIRC the boards that it took inspiration from also were typically all R3 profile, but I might be misremembering that one.

Here it was revealed that sculptured was an option.

Overall there was more interest in all R3 expressed.

Here R3 was decided, more or less.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #892 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 18:04:49 »

Here it was revealed that sculptured was an option.

Overall there was more interest in all R3 expressed.

Here R3 was decided, more or less.

Thanks for the sleuthing, rowdy!  :)  That more or less confirms my memory of the situation.  ;D

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #893 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 21:13:01 »
Sounds great if we could get this classical keyset soon. Can't wait to empty my wallet.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #894 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:58:08 »
production is over! we shall see it soon

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
« Reply #895 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:02:37 »

How do you know production is over?  I signed up for their mailing list but haven't received any email since that time months ago...

Offline AuDiTH

« Reply #896 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:04:45 »

Woahh that's awesome, can't wait to see it!
SSK | AEK64 | TX-CP | HHKB | Acrylic Pearl | Duck Orion V3 | LZ MP | Kyuu Sakura
Currently joined GBs:
GMK British Racing Green
GMK ThinkCaps
SA 8010

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #897 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:06:20 »
How do you know production is over?  I signed up for their mailing list but haven't received any email since that time months ago...

because I'm your insider guy

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
« Reply #898 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:16:29 »

Well, sweet!  Thanks for the heads up.  I missed out on the first run and have been eagerly looking forward to this tribute capset :)

Offline Jedi

« Reply #899 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:45:22 »

And you need to stop by more often.  We kinda miss you and elrick from the good ol' days