Author Topic: [SOLD] Restored IBM Model M Soarers Bolt Mod, USB/B Cable Lower price $120  (Read 1806 times)

Offline ezrahilyer

I just lowered the price on this particular M: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Model-M-Mechanical-Keyboard-Professionally-Restored-USB-Soarer-Clicky-/331367377403?

I feel like this particular one is not quite up to my optimum standards, some of the keys feel a bit used, and the case has a few very small knicks. I think this one had a little harder life than some of the other ones.
I think in the future I will grade these boards on a sliding scale with only perfect pristine examples going for the full $150 price. all of the boards I have made up to now have been perfect, this one slightly less so. (still really great, but like I say you can see edge wear on the case a little bit, and some of the keys are shiny from use)

What do you think of the sliding scale idea?
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 20:24:40 by ezrahilyer »

Offline ezrahilyer

Re: Restored IBM Model M Soarers Bolt Mod, USB/B Cable Lower price $120
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 20:24:13 »
gone

Offline Touch_It

Re: [SOLD] Restored IBM Model M Soarers Bolt Mod, USB/B Cable Lower price $120
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 13:42:16 »
I think the sliding scale idea is pretty cool where people that don't mind one that is beat up, maybe needs some springs replaced etc, can get a bit of a deal.  I must say this is a pretty awesome service you are offering.  If I didn't have all my funds tied up in another project I'd probably be looking at one myself.  With being able to order replacable parts from unicomp, I don't see why a bolt modded M wouldn't last a lifetime +.

Wanted to add that its also awesome that you can make some modest money doing something you live, while offering this great service, and bringing some amazing technology back to life.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: [SOLD] Restored IBM Model M Soarers Bolt Mod, USB/B Cable Lower price $120
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 16:11:11 »
The sliding scale is a great idea.

Different people focus on certain features, for example, I think the the metal badge on the 1390131 is a big bonus, but the lack of LEDs on the 1390120 is a serious minus. Almost no one prefers the blue label to the beige (aka black aka white aka gray) label.

Most people are probably in agreement that the heavy plates in the earliest models are extremely desirable, and if it were me, and I found a heavy one in a terminal board, I would swap it with a standard 1391401 board and put $10 (at least) price swings (going both ways) on both boards to reflect it.

I would offer a "sound package" of substantial internal foam padding (I like the waffle drawer liner stuff laid flat and rolled into cylinders) and floss mod for $15-$20.

PS - I really lust over those rare super-early specimens with Model F style bar-code labels.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"