Author Topic: TextBlade Portable Keyboard  (Read 52924 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
TextBlade Portable Keyboard
« on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 08:31:00 »
Looks like we have a new keyboard percentage to figure out. It's called TextBlade and it's a portable bluetooth keyboard. Not mechanical, of course, but a pretty wild design and it's apparently a real thing and available for sale now.

So what would you call this form factor? 20%?  :confused:

Source: TUAW

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: TextBlade Portable Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 08:35:56 »
^^ Who is this guy? ;)

PS: this looks really cool  8)
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 08:39:47 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 08:47:34 »
Ouch, what a pain to navigate their website. Guess we have to wait until March to see if this ends up being a real product or not.

Interesting concept, seems like it uses 2 "switches"  per "panel", no idea what kind of sensing they're using. Also, what kind of communication / connection is there between the components? Looks like only 2 contacts that I can see...

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 08:50:30 »
Ouch, what a pain to navigate their website. Guess we have to wait until March to see if this ends up being a real product or not.

Interesting concept, seems like it uses 2 "switches"  per "panel", no idea what kind of sensing they're using. Also, what kind of communication / connection is there between the components? Looks like only 2 contacts that I can see...

Show Image

I didn't have any issues with the website and I'll be an early adopter and let you guys know how it works.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 08:59:58 »

Show Image

I didn't have any issues with the website and I'll be an early adopter and let you guys know how it works.

So my investment in you paid off, I see. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 09:18:20 »

Show Image

Looks like it's the same kind of capacitive sensing than on touchscreens. The technology is cheap enough now.

The keyboard senses which key is pressed, and on which part of the key the finger is.

And look... It's a SpaceFN keyboard (kind of)! :)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 09:21:41 »
Nice. Let's copy the design, put in mechanical switches and laugh!
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 09:44:29 »
Ordered two.

They should be there on March 20.

We will see...

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 09:48:13 »
There's a vote on Massdrop about it right now; maybe it'll get offered for cheaper than the $100.  That's a bit much for me to just try something out.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 09:52:25 »
Here's a link to the Massdrop vote if you want to help make it happen:  https://www.massdrop.com/vote/textblade-semi-mechanical-keyboard-for-iphone--ipad-by-waytools-and-accessories
I'm back.

Offline islisis

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 11:43:32 »
Nice. Let's copy the design, put in mechanical switches and laugh!

I hope we do, where I would like to see capacitive surfaces used is on mod keys and mice buttons to provide relief from long switch holds

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64258.msg1530094#msg1530094

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 13:11:24 »
Absolutely in love with the idea. Just bought one.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 13:58:35 »
I like that it's splayed and it's amazingly compact. Really interested in how the parts connect (electronically), and how it feels to actually type on. I'll be waiting for the reviews from those who have ordered :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:30:44 »
Overall neat concept.

The very slight key surface indication and use of a single button each for the separate columns on pinky and index finger – and for the rows in each column – seems like it would be a pretty big pain, causing lots of mistakes. I suspect that people with large hands are going to have a lot of difficulty with this thing.

Split matrix layout with less distance between rows is a good idea though.

I think if they were willing to take up ~30-50% more area with this keyboard, they could make it much less error-prone and more flexible, by slightly shifting the columns so the home row lined up with neutral finger positions, splitting separate keys, adding an extra couple thumb keys. Ideally a split portable keyboard like this would support 20°+ of tenting instead of lying flat on the table.

Dude in the demo video should get his palms up off the table.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:33:24 by jacobolus »

Offline Data

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 14:37:58 »
I love how their marketing video plays automatically at maximum volume as soon as you load the page.

Brilliant web design.

WTB: a set of ear drums, gently used

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 15:09:53 »
What's this crap: "A network of 4 computers with 100X the processing power of legacy devices drives advanced software intelligence."  haha

It's on this page, under "Computing Power": https://waytools.com/store/showroom/info/textblade/tablet

BTW their home page crashes my browser.  Niiiiice.
I'm back.

Offline obra

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 15:57:01 »
Just placed an order. Slightly bait-and-switchy by hiding that they ship in march until after they have my card.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:03:09 »
Just placed an order. Slightly bait-and-switchy by hiding that they ship in march until after they have my card.
I believe one of the pages of the website was a time line showing that. 

But they could have given that info during checkout and before payment.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 17:32:33 »
Overall neat concept.

The very slight key surface indication and use of a single button each for the separate columns on pinky and index finger – and for the rows in each column – seems like it would be a pretty big pain, causing lots of mistakes. I suspect that people with large hands are going to have a lot of difficulty with this thing.

I think if they were willing to take up ~30-50% more area with this keyboard, they could make it much less error-prone and more flexible, by slightly shifting the columns so the home row lined up with neutral finger positions, splitting separate keys, adding an extra couple thumb keys. Ideally a split portable keyboard like this would support 20°+ of tenting instead of lying flat on the table.

Dude in the demo video should get his palms up off the table.

Maybe you should try it first. :)

Actually what you say makes sense, but I'm struck by the number of ideas they have got right.

It just makes our keyboards look prehistoric.

It uses the thumb for two important modifiers (Command and Symbols). The modifier in both cases is the space bar. Shift is only used for Caps as far as I can tell.

Now we have to wait and see. There are maybe (probably) a few fatal flaws in this first version (the lack of an Alt key comes to mind, even if it has not been designed for PCs or Macs), but it's the first time I see an actual product that may cause a disruption in the keyboard industry. Maybe it will just flop, but I believe it has some chances.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 17:39:19 »

It's not hidden at all...

One of the pages of the slideshow displays a calendar with production dates, already sold out dates and so on.

The page appears automatically if you let the slideshow run, or you can go directly to this page by clicking one of the tabs in the bottom bar. The tab is called "Availability" and it's the fifth tab starting from the left.

I find it natural that it's not the first thing they say. They present the product first, what else?

I knew well before I ordered that I would not get the product before mid-March.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 17:48:25 »

One of the pages of the slideshow displays a calendar with production dates, already sold out dates and so on.

The page appears automatically if you let the slideshow run, or you can go directly to this page by clicking one of the tabs in the bottom bar. The tab is called "Availability" and it's the fifth tab starting from the left.

I find it natural that it's not the first thing they say. They present the product first, what else?

^^ This. Any time you get a flashy site like this, it's worth it to spend a few extra minutes grokking things before jumping in.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 17:52:06 »

^^ This. Any time you get a flashy site like this, it's worth it to spend a few extra minutes grokking things before jumping in.

I even checked them out in the whois database. :)

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 18:05:25 »
This actually looks really cool.

Although, it's also one of those things that might be absolutely awful in practice.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 18:22:10 »

Although, it's also one of those things that might be absolutely awful in practice.

In approximately 2 months, a few of us will tell you. :)

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 18:30:18 »
I really want to try this.  I hope it works as well as the demonstration shows.  For some people, this could offer a huge change for mobile computing.  Imagine being able to easily write emails and documents (or spreadsheets, etc.) with just a smartphone and textblade, instead of having to lug a tablet/notebook around.  Didn't bring your laptop to the meeting?  Pull out your phone and textblade.   You could eliminate having the virtual keyboard monopolize the display.  And having access to hotkeys would be a huge plus.  If it can function as a gaming input device, it could have an impact on mobile gaming.  As much as I want this, I have large hands and I'm not sure I could use it effectively.  And I wonder if I would continue to find excuses to use it after the novelty of it wore off.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 18:30:47 »

In approximately 2 months, a few of us will tell you. :)

We thank you for your sacrifice. ;) If it's any good I'll have to get one. The bluetooth keyboard I used to use for my phone for a while had awful chiclet keys and was too big to be practical, and while Swype is amazing you still can't operate it by touch. :P
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 18:35:51 »
There's a vote on Massdrop about it right now; maybe it'll get offered for cheaper than the $100.  That's a bit much for me to just try something out.

They offer a 6-pack for $495
https://waytools.com/store/showroom/info/sixpack/tablet

I love how their marketing video plays automatically at maximum volume as soon as you load the page.

Brilliant web design.

WTB: a set of ear drums, gently used

Their web design is lacking.  They have images occluding scroll bars.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 18:40:23 by derezzed »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 18:38:59 »

Well we got six of us right here, huh?  $83 each, give or take.
I'm back.

Offline islisis

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:17:58 »

Agreed, this concept could never work with a staggered layout, if the standard typing proficiency acquisition time is as short as I am reading then hopefully the attention this product is bringing will change other manufacturers' minds about ergonomics.

I think your ideas are good, and that this device could benefit from a fifth switch column for modifiers, and split thumb switches to determine left/right presses while both thumbs are resting on the keys. Being able to use the surface as a trackpad would also work well in this design.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 January 2015, 01:53:51 by islisis »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:42:33 »

Still have to factor in second shipping and packing.

And not sure how warranty would transfer.

Personally I bought a few of the add ons also.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:44:25 »

Still have to factor in second shipping and packing.

Wrong. You guys come to my house. We drink beer and espresso and then you drive home with your keyboards. Simple!
I'm back.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:54:10 »
This thing is overriding my common sense.

It's so perfectly miniature.

Offline Valen

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:03:52 »
This is really cool. Side spacing looks mostly fine, but up/down spacing between keys worries me a bit.

Offline ShriekBob

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 08:46:48 »
I'm sold enough to give it a try.

I've emailed them too to ask a few questions, specifically, I noticed that it appears to have a command key, does that work as the command key on a mac.  I've also asked them how many devices it can pair to, and if there is any plans to have a mod that will include alt, ctrl, and function.  I'm interested in the concept of a pocketable keyboard that I can use everywhere.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 13:13:06 »
I'm sold enough to give it a try.

I've emailed them too to ask a few questions, specifically, I noticed that it appears to have a command key, does that work as the command key on a mac.  I've also asked them how many devices it can pair to, and if there is any plans to have a mod that will include alt, ctrl, and function.  I'm interested in the concept of a pocketable keyboard that I can use everywhere.

Matias has a one handed half keyboard that's pretty small. Not enough to fit a pocket, but it's a good start.

Another thing you could try is to grab an xkeys or some other programmable numpad with 20 or more keys and make your own mini keyboard using the Matias layout as a starting point.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:41:54 »
Matias has a one handed half keyboard that's pretty small. Not enough to fit a pocket, but it's a good start.

Another thing you could try is to grab an xkeys or some other programmable numpad with 20 or more keys and make your own mini keyboard using the Matias layout as a starting point.

It's also ridiculously expensive: $595 USD

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 02:34:35 »
I'm totally intrigued by the TextBlade too, but I can't help and think if I'm going to carry it around in my pocket so I can type on it anywhere, I'd want to be able to type with it even when there isn't a flat surface to put it on. Imagine if you are in your car and an email or text arrived and you want to reply immediately, or you're walking down the street, or in a park, or anywhere that doesn't have a flat surface for you to place the TextBlade on.

Offline islisis

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 05:30:14 »
It's a good point. It's clear that many implemented guises await the rise of touch-mechanical hybrid keycap technology. Depending on how patents scraps are doled out we may not see the bulk of them surface in mainstream gear for decades.

The only way it could be accelerated is through an issuing of a modular system to OEMs like the Cherry one. Without greater exposure in the wild there won't be a precedence to help market technology like this to normal consumers. Otherwise, if they fail to meet the economies of scale the rights-holders will be just taking up IP space (or worse, get bought up by apple and lock the possibilities within one ecosystem).

[edit: i think i was looking for a word which didn't exist >_< thanks jac...]
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 January 2015, 03:19:39 by islisis »

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 06:43:27 »
I'm totally intrigued by the TextBlade too, but I can't help and think if I'm going to carry it around in my pocket so I can type on it anywhere, I'd want to be able to type with it even when there isn't a flat surface to put it on. Imagine if you are in your car and an email or text arrived and you want to reply immediately, or you're walking down the street, or in a park, or anywhere that doesn't have a flat surface for you to place the TextBlade on.

For shorts typing sessions (answering a text message or email), you have the on-screen keyboard.

For longer typing sessions, it is assumed you will find a suitable surface. I think it's a reasonable assumption. If you are going to spend 30 minutes typing, investing 2 minutes finding a place with a flat surface is not too much overhead.

I'm pretty sure people will get inventive with this, for example using the tablet's carrying case as a surface to type on.

Naturally if they improve their design so the TextBlade can be rigid, that will be even better.

They have already nailed a number of good ideas in the current design, and it looks like future versions will be even more interesting.

But they have to start somewhere, and this first version already has a lot for it. On paper at least...

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 11:38:24 »
That is the coolest fridge magnet I have ever seen!

Someone got to show this to Cherry : Hey Cherry, wanna see something really creative?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 13:08:49 »
It's a good point. It's clear that many carnations await the rise of capacitive-mechanical hybrid keycaps.
Carnations?

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 13:31:48 »
I want!

If we did get together to order 6 packs we can save a few bucks, I'm in if someone wants to organize that, otherwise i am just going to order 1 for myself.
I love the idea

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:47:39 »

For shorts typing sessions (answering a text message or email), you have the on-screen keyboard.

For longer typing sessions, it is assumed you will find a suitable surface. I think it's a reasonable assumption. If you are going to spend 30 minutes typing, investing 2 minutes finding a place with a flat surface is not too much overhead.

I'm pretty sure people will get inventive with this, for example using the tablet's carrying case as a surface to type on.

Naturally if they improve their design so the TextBlade can be rigid, that will be even better.

They have already nailed a number of good ideas in the current design, and it looks like future versions will be even more interesting.

But they have to start somewhere, and this first version already has a lot for it. On paper at least...

I was just thinking about how someone could modify the design so it can be typed without being placed on a flat surface.

You mentioned making it rigid, and that's of course the first step.

After that, imagine if we placed rotating rings under the keyboard, one on each side, for our thumbs (similar to the iRing/Bunker Ring idea--which I use on my Galaxy Note 3 and love). And if we can have the two pieces of the keyboard angled in a more steep V shape, it could be fairly comfortable to type on, even if you're just standing there with your hands in front of your tummy or chest. You just need to place your phone/tablet on something so you can see the screen (I use the iRing as a kickstand, and it works very well most of the time).

The rotating rings under the keyboard can be angled/rotated, so they can be adjusted to be tighter/looser depending on the size of the person's thumb or the angle he's holding the keyboard at.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 18:58:44 »

I was just thinking about how someone could modify the design so it can be typed without being placed on a flat surface.

After that, imagine if we placed rotating rings under the keyboard, one on each side, for our thumbs (similar to the iRing/Bunker Ring idea--which I use on my Galaxy Note 3 and love). And if we can have the two pieces of the keyboard angled in a more steep V shape, it could be fairly comfortable to type on, even if you're just standing there with your hands in front of your tummy or chest. You just need to place your phone/tablet on something so you can see the screen (I use the iRing as a kickstand, and it works very well most of the time).

The rotating rings under the keyboard can be angled/rotated, so they can be adjusted to be tighter/looser depending on the size of the person's thumb or the angle he's holding the keyboard at.

Yes.

Or the two halves of the keyboard should just be functional without having to be connected (technically it's possible), and each would get half of the space bar. This way all you need is to be able to rest your hands on each half, and you can type.

Type on your armchair, with your arms relaxed. Type when sitting with one half on each of your thighs... Many configurations become usable.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 19:02:07 »

Yes.

Or the two halves of the keyboard should just be functional without having to be connected (technically it's possible), and each would get half of the space bar. This way all you need is to be able to rest your hands on each half, and you can type.

Type on your armchair, with your arms relaxed. Type when sitting with one half on each of your thighs... Many configurations become usable.

Sitting in your easy chair, typing with each hand resting on the arm of the chair and the keyboard halves at the end.

Yes, that would truly be input nirvana, amirite?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jacobolus

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 19:50:58 »

Off topic: it would be a lot easier to skim through this conversation if every message didn�t quote the entire thread. :)

It's also really hard to edit quotes when you're on a mobile browser. Blame technology.

in memoriam

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:18:36 »
I've always felt that this forum gets too crazy with quoting. I like it when forums only quote 1 or two levels deep. Make things much more readable.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:39:04 »
I've always felt that this forum gets too crazy with quoting. I like it when forums only quote 1 or two levels deep. Make things much more readable.

I agree. I wish this forum were like that. Sometimes you need to quote the previous poster, but if you're on mobile, it's near impossible to edit out all the previous posts successfully.

in memoriam

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:56:39 »
More

I agree. I wish this forum were like that. Sometimes you need to quote the previous poster, but if you're on mobile, it's near impossible to edit out all the previous posts successfully.

That's why i try to use the [/more] when i can, although it didn't really make sense in this case but you get what i mean lol
But yeah that doesn't help tapatalk/mobile users....
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition