Author Topic: Tactile Zine  (Read 737097 times)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: Tactile Fanzine
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 15:23:42 »
Update:

It's been a week since I shipped out the majority of Vol 1 Run 1 so they should be arriving soon.

Didn't get to print Vol 1 Run 2 so that will happen this week

Got replies for Vol 2 so that's coming out soon.

Working on a special Keycon edition that I'll be passing out at Keycon.
Just got my copy today. Flipped through it real quick, but haven't had a chance to read it. Thanks for doing this CPT.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 17:14:05 »
Got my copy today as well. I won't be able to get to it until I get home, but now I'm ridiculously excited!!!
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 17:25:48 »
Relieved they're finally showing up. Please if you have any feedback good or bad, let me know here in the thread or in PMs. I really need constructive feedback either way. Thanks again for the interest everyone.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 18:18:05 »
Relieved they're finally showing up. Please if you have any feedback good or bad, let me know here in the thread or in PMs. I really need constructive feedback either way. Thanks again for the interest everyone.

I'm not sure if I'm on the list or not, but I'd like to get a Vol 2. :)

I had an idea that I'll probably embrace the whole underground community aspect of this thing by reading it, adding my own notes/drawings in the margins, and sending it on to someone else.  If this was a common practice, a well-traveled copy would take on a life of its own.  Seems fitting.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2015, 18:25:49 by metalliqaz »

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 18:37:17 »

I had an idea that I'll probably embrace the whole underground community aspect of this thing by reading it, adding my own notes/drawings in the margins, and sending it on to someone else.  If this was a common practice, a well-traveled copy would take on a life of its own.  Seems fitting.

:thumb: awesome. I may take mine and run a few copies off to leave around GitHub HQ

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 18:40:36 »

:thumb: awesome. I may take mine and run a few copies off to leave around GitHub HQ

You work at GitHub?  That's awesome.  I mean I use SVN, but still...

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 18:51:03 »

Needs more cuddles.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 23:21:55 »
I got mine today but haven't even opened yet. Went right back out and am being irresponsible on a work night. I'll get back to you with an honest review and possible opinions. I tip this drink to you for your efforts. Thanks!
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 23:25:59 »
I got mine today but haven't even opened yet. Went right back out and am being irresponsible on a work night. I'll get back to you with an honest review and possible opinions. I tip this drink to you for your efforts. Thanks!

I'm still anxiously awaiting mine :(

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 03:06:28 »
Ok, I finally got home and took the time to open and get into this. First off, I had a couple and right away noticed the number on the first page and thought to myself, "What the hell?! This most certaintly is page one. What was he thinking?!" Then I got it.

CPT's intro was great, the next peice was written very well, as expected. The interviews were really a fantastic read.

For me reading the interviews opens up much more. There's added personality and character. You see someones posts and what they contribute and it really is amazing, but to read direct questions with direct responses outside of keyboards is what really brings that person to life for me. Interviews to me are great.

I love burning time on GH. One of my favorite things to do and places to be but I still feel nothing beats physical media. This first issue was minimal but as with our keys and switches, I get to feel that **** in my hands. It's very satisfying.

It's hard to say from the first issue anything negative. I guess I could cry about not enough pictures and it being mostly in B&W but for something someone did on their own in their spare time, I like where this is going and I look forward to more. I  have nothing but positive things to say at this point. For me it was very fluid and it ended way too fast.

Thank you CPT and thank you to those that contributed your time to this. I'm really happy about this zine.

Here's some **** I enjoy and I'll also post a bit of background to go with the band:

North Side Kings.

Old article with video it's about: http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2013-04-25/music/an-infamous-2004-scuffle-continues-to-define-danny-marianino-and-glenn-danzig/

lol, If you've seen the video this is the band that guy(lead singer) is from.

An album from youtube:
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 03:11:54 »
Boy scouts selling magazine subscriptions. :P

And more pictures/drawings and less words please. I want a "MSpaint of the Month" centerfold. Also, I **** better to looking at pics than reading.

In all seriousness, though, I want in for the future, please. PM me with what you need, CPT. Thanks!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 05:18:21 »
Mine was in the mailbox today.
thx captain !

@Cpt : it seems that my copy is missing pages, have you heard of that ?
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2015, 06:48:04 by azhdar »
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 07:44:44 »
In all seriousness, though, I want in for the future, please. PM me with what you need, CPT. Thanks!

I'll get you added to the mailing list and I'll get your address in PM.

I encourage any offshoot ideas of the 'zine. Mark it up, share it with friends, copy it, rip it up and throw a tickertape parade, ship it out with your sales.

I'm still anxiously awaiting mine :(

It's frustrating me that the mail to France was faster than the mail to California.

Check the OP, the mailing list is there and your name is on it.

@Cpt : it seems that my copy is missing pages, have you heard of that ?

Are you sure that there are pages missing? Or is the number on the first page throwing you off? Hand number means you got # of 25 copies of the first run.

Ok, I finally got home and took the time to open and get into this. First off, I had a couple and right away noticed the number on the first page and thought to myself, "What the hell?! This most certaintly is page one. What was he thinking?!" Then I got it.

CPT's intro was great, the next peice was written very well, as expected. The interviews were really a fantastic read.

For me reading the interviews opens up much more. There's added personality and character. You see someones posts and what they contribute and it really is amazing, but to read direct questions with direct responses outside of keyboards is what really brings that person to life for me. Interviews to me are great.

I love burning time on GH. One of my favorite things to do and places to be but I still feel nothing beats physical media. This first issue was minimal but as with our keys and switches, I get to feel that **** in my hands. It's very satisfying.

It's hard to say from the first issue anything negative. I guess I could cry about not enough pictures and it being mostly in B&W but for something someone did on their own in their spare time, I like where this is going and I look forward to more. I  have nothing but positive things to say at this point. For me it was very fluid and it ended way too fast.

Thank you CPT and thank you to those that contributed your time to this. I'm really happy about this zine.

Here's some **** I enjoy and I'll also post a bit of background to go with the band:

North Side Kings.

Old article with video it's about: http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2013-04-25/music/an-infamous-2004-scuffle-continues-to-define-danny-marianino-and-glenn-danzig/

lol, If you've seen the video this is the band that guy(lead singer) is from.

An album from youtube:

Thanks for the feedback :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 14:17:55 »
Found a mistake thanks to azhdar. On pages 3 and 4 with the jdcarpe interview, I apparently copy-pasted over the words incorrectly. Currently not sure how I want to fix that for Vol 1 Run 1 so for now, just deal with it and I promise I'll proof read Vol 2 better. And Vol 1 Run 2 will have it fixed.

I may decide to release that section as a soft copy or just say lol it's ****ed up. I'm trying very hard to keep this to a hard copy only.

hooray for DIY lol
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2015, 14:21:57 by CPTBadAss »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 14:28:25 »
The error makes it rare and more collectible. I can gets $750 on eBay for it.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 14:35:18 »
Leave the typo for nostalgia sake.  :p
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 14:44:14 »
Leave the typo for nostalgia sake.  :p

I agree.

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 14:58:03 »
Interest sparked. I'll watch the thread for Vol 1 Run 2 and future issues :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 15:11:49 »
Found a mistake thanks to azhdar. On pages 3 and 4 with the jdcarpe interview, I apparently copy-pasted over the words incorrectly. Currently not sure how I want to fix that for Vol 1 Run 1 so for now, just deal with it and I promise I'll proof read Vol 2 better. And Vol 1 Run 2 will have it fixed.

I may decide to release that section as a soft copy or just say lol it's ****ed up. I'm trying very hard to keep this to a hard copy only.

hooray for DIY lol

UGH THERE'S AN ERROR IN BINGE'S INTERVIEW TOO. Shoutouts to azhdar for the copy editing skills.

Like I said this will be fixed for Vol 1 Run 2. And I'll be damn sure to read more carefully in Vol 2 on. Sorry everyone.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 15:14:33 »
rookie mistake :rolleyes:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 15:15:21 »

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 19:52:14 »
*Gets copy of Tactile in the mail today

Sweet.  It finally arrived.

*Rips open envelope pulls out zine and sticker
*Notes copy number 17
*Begins reading

I like where this is going.

*Turns page

What the f***?  Color printing?!  This s*** is mainstream.

CptBadAss, you sold out.  Cancel my subscription.   /hipster

P.S.  (don't cancel my subscription; Tactile is awesome)

Also, it's the last sentence of Binge's response to what he likes about MST that appears in jdcarpe's interview.  I'm not sure why Binge decided to pull a Kanye; let Taylor Swift jd have his moment, Binge.  That's a total d*** move.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 20:54:37 »
Also, it's the last sentence of Binge's response to what he likes about MST that appears in jdcarpe's interview.  I'm not sure why Binge decided to pull a Kanye; let Taylor Swift jd have his moment, Binge.  That's a total d*** move.

The fun part about Vol 1 Run 1 is that it's a pick your own adventure.

Plus the mistake counteracts the color printing

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 21:22:59 »
My mail carrier better not **** this up for me.. I am experiencing much excitements and anticipations

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 09:37:57 »
Update: Vol 1 Run 2 tweaks finished. Fixed the error from Run 1.

Today or tomorrow I'm going to pick up some new tools for the 'zine after work.

Hoping this weekend I'll have Vol 1 Run 2 printed and Vol 2 in final draft form. Maybe test prints too.

I can always reprint older Vols too so if you want Vol 1, let me know.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2015, 20:47:45 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 00:48:16 »
I got mine yesterday but I just moved home from school so I haven't had time to read it yet. All I saw was the Binge whale butthole comment.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 02:35:26 »
Would love to get a copy of Volume 1 and get added to the mailing list. Thanks. Let me know where I can send some PayPal goodness.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 02:42:44 »
hi bub i'll take it all the way out here in the europe, what do you need from me?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 16:19:45 »
hi bub i'll take it all the way out here in the europe, what do you need from me?

1) What do you want? (just Vol 1, just mailing list for future releases, both)
2) Check your PMs :)

Would love to get a copy of Volume 1 and get added to the mailing list. Thanks. Let me know where I can send some PayPal goodness.

Added and PM sent.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 17:15:36 »
Forgot to say, I got mine on Wednesday.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 11:36:31 »

Huge shoutouts to the based derezzed who sent me this!
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2015, 18:32:35 by CPTBadAss »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 11:48:21 »
haha, nice

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 11:49:36 »
Can't wait to get mine. Also have some doodles in mind to contribute.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 22:25:30 »
Show Image

Huge shoutouts to the based derezzed who sent me this!

Dammit.  Now the identity thieves have a sample of my handwriting.  /tinfoilhat

It dawned on me how much cash you were dropping just on postage alone when I pulled Tactile out of my mailbox and realized that the first run of volume 1 was 25 stamps.  I figured if I was going to keep getting Tactile, I should at least help defray your costs.  Thanks for the shout out but there's no need to single me out.  I'm not the only who's donated. 

I look forward to reading the next issue of Tactile.  Glad to hear you got the editing error from run 1 fixed; my limited edition first run 1 volume 1 edition of Tactile with signature error just skyrocketed in value.  It's going into a mylar sleeve.  That's my retirement safety net.

Offline rockhawksam

• I'm a big dirty **** Hawk
    • tanglingstars.com
« Reply #134 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 23:19:05 »
Is it too late to subscribe! I love zines and I'm super interested in this!

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #135 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 02:04:32 »
Dear Captain, question: why dont you publish this fanzine as PDF or as kind of blog? By this there would be no printing costs and no limit of copies.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 07:17:42 »
Dear Captain, question: why dont you publish this fanzine as PDF or as kind of blog? By this there would be no printing costs and no limit of copies.
This would kind of defeat the purpose of a "making stuff" zine.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 07:21:23 »

It is a zine. I want a paper copy. It is part of the appeal.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #138 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 11:14:21 »
Because that's not what a zine is Eszett. It will always be in hard copy first. I've entertained an idea of an accompanied blog but I'm not that into it. It's not really what I'm going for. If you don't get it, that's OK. But it will never be just a blog. Just like why Vogue isn't all online. Or why people don't stop buying vinyl and CDs.

Plus there are plenty of blogs already.

no limit of copies.

Where is there a limit on copies? I can print as many as there is demand for.

Is it too late to subscribe! I love zines and I'm super interested in this!

I can add you to the mailing list for the future and I can always print more old Vols. please let me know what you'd like specifically.

« Last Edit: Sun, 03 May 2015, 13:37:09 by CPTBadAss »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 11:57:13 »
I've got new stickers printed, I've got Vol 1 Run 2 done, the envelopes have stamps on them. I just need to sit down and write addresses now. Probably going to go back to Stamps.com and a printer soon though. As much as I love the handwritten touch it's a bit time consuming. We'll see.

In the meantime, here's a band and set that cemented my love for hardcore and kinda lead me to doing a zine.

Please teach this sun to shine.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 22:05:45 »
Triple post? Don't worry, I got this on lock.

Licked for your pleasure. CONUS stack.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2015, 22:26:27 by CPTBadAss »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 22:12:39 »
Combo breaker!

Something on topic

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 22:13:13 »
Where mine at

Edit: nvm it literally arrived today I'm just blind and missed it on the kitchen table
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2015, 01:19:41 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 22:13:44 »
Triple post? Don't worry. I got this on lock.

Show Image

Licked for your pleasure. CONUS stack.

Looking forward to getting mine!

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 01:28:58 »
I've got new stickers printed, I've got Vol 1 Run 2 done, the envelopes have stamps on them. I just need to sit down and write addresses now. Probably going to go back to Stamps.com and a printer soon though. As much as I love the handwritten touch it's a bit time consuming. We'll see.

In the meantime, here's a band and set that cemented my love for hardcore and kinda lead me to doing a zine.

Please teach this sun to shine.
Good set,

if you need  any help with the fanzine hit me up.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 04:25:21 »
I would like to subscribe starting from vol 1 please. Please also pm donation details.

Edit
Woohoo my phone let me post this time. I could not get it to work when I tried to subscribe last week.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2015, 04:26:54 by Zustiur »

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 04:52:18 »
I'd like to subscribe as well starting from issues one. ;D

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 06:26:22 »
If you've got a spot I'd like an issue too!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 08:58:22 »
I would like to subscribe starting from vol 1 please. Please also pm donation details.

Edit
Woohoo my phone let me post this time. I could not get it to work when I tried to subscribe last week.
PMed
I'd like to subscribe as well starting from issues one. ;D

If you've got a spot I'd like an issue too!
Got it.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 09:42:18 »
Count me in for the mailing list, and whatever back issue I missed (just Vol. 1, I believe).

I think you have my address already, but let me know if you need it again.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)