Author Topic: Tactile Zine  (Read 737102 times)

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Re: Tactile Zine
« Reply #950 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 20:53:55 »
Wow, this is a really cool project. Sad that I missed out on all of the original issues but excited to see what you do with Booper!

Offline Paopawdecarabao

« Reply #951 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 12:15:51 »
Subbed +1!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #952 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 20:16:45 »
Hi all. The progress on the zine front is going well.

I developed and scanned the film from the trip. Then culled the picture pool.

Taught myself how to use Scribus and came up with the layout. And now currently on my desk are initial test prints of the zine. I'm still messing with ideas for the layout and deciding on the picture. Got a few other things that I need to tinker with on my end.

My timeline remains the same as before (going to have the sale before March).

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #953 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 20:29:25 »
I'm in. Very much enjoyed the back issues I got from you last year, and intrigued by this new ting.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #954 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 20:37:41 »
Hi all. The progress on the zine front is going well.

Show Image

I developed and scanned the film from the trip. Then culled the picture pool.

Show Image

Taught myself how to use Scribus and came up with the layout. And now currently on my desk are initial test prints of the zine. I'm still messing with ideas for the layout and deciding on the picture. Got a few other things that I need to tinker with on my end.

My timeline remains the same as before (going to have the sale before March).

Looking forward to picking one up man

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #955 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 20:40:58 »
Can't wait to see the end result!  Dis gunna be gud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #956 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 07:07:01 »
Newbie here. Looking forward to this. Cheers!

Offline Zanduby

« Reply #957 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 15:00:42 »
Can't believe I've missed this. Very cool to see you back (even if its for just a little bit).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #958 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 21:18:49 »
Oops, went MIA for longer than expected. My partner in crime has been busy so we're finally getting the caps sorted out. I've got the zine mostly laid out. Still need to finish up the words. But what really slowed me down is that my rig died and I had no computer at all for like a week or two. Finally got a laptop but I lost some things like printer color profiles so I'm trying to get my printer back to where it was.

I'm still aiming for a March release of boop! so please keep an eye out for that. And if you're curious, next Thursday I'll be dropping my first photozine called Continue?

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #959 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 22:07:02 »
Oops, went MIA for longer than expected. My partner in crime has been busy so we're finally getting the caps sorted out. I've got the zine mostly laid out. Still need to finish up the words. But what really slowed me down is that my rig died and I had no computer at all for like a week or two. Finally got a laptop but I lost some things like printer color profiles so I'm trying to get my printer back to where it was.

I'm still aiming for a March release of boop! so please keep an eye out for that. And if you're curious, next Thursday I'll be dropping my first photozine called Continue?

Looking forward to it man

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #960 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 10:10:46 »
Can't wait, man, can't wait.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #961 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 17:14:58 »
Ok this time I swear something is happening. There's even some GHers who can confirm that this 1) isn't vaporware 2) I haven't died 3) seen the proofs.

I finally went shopping at some local print shops and learned that it's once again easier, faster, cheaper, better to print all the zines and 4x6s myself. I love DIY.

Here's some fresh prints from the printer.

This weekend I'll be working on printing the actual zine. And of course, using that paper folding machine that was funded a bazillion years ago and hasn't seen action in ages lol. This WILL DROP BY END OF JUNE 2018. WORD IS ****ING BOND.

In the mean time, does anyone want to talk about gear? I swore I wouldn't collect cameras and camera accessories after having far too many boards....and next to me are like ten cameras :(.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #962 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 17:25:13 »
Ok this time I swear something is happening. There's even some GHers who can confirm that this 1) isn't vaporware 2) I haven't died 3) seen the proofs.

I finally went shopping at some local print shops and learned that it's once again easier, faster, cheaper, better to print all the zines and 4x6s myself. I love DIY.

Show Image

This weekend I'll be working on printing the actual zine. And of course, using that paper folding machine that was funded a bazillion years ago and hasn't seen action in ages lol. This WILL DROP BY END OF JUNE 2018. WORD IS ****ING BOND.

In the mean time, does anyone want to talk about gear? I swore I wouldn't collect cameras and camera accessories after having far too many boards....and next to me are like ten cameras :(.

I want the zine!

I can't really talk gear but i just upgraded to an a7rii

Offline Kavik

« Reply #963 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 17:26:35 »

Show Image

Ten cameras and all you can manage is 90 x 120 pixels!? JK

I would like to subscribe and receive this new issue!
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #964 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 17:35:19 »

I never said I was GOOD at photography :(. I'm no longer subscriptions; hit the OP for more info. This is a project I'm working on with booper. Check this link out for more info. Like I said it'll be up for sale on my site sometime in June. Yes it comes with keycaps.

I want the zine!

What lens do you have with that Sony? I wanna try it but I shoot digital so rarely that I don't see myself renting it to even try. Maybe one day.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #965 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 22:35:18 »

I never said I was GOOD at photography :(. I'm no longer subscriptions; hit the OP for more info. This is a project I'm working on with booper. Check this link out for more info. Like I said it'll be up for sale on my site sometime in June. Yes it comes with keycaps.

I want the zine!

What lens do you have with that Sony? I wanna try it but I shoot digital so rarely that I don't see myself renting it to even try. Maybe one day.

I have a few lenses.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #966 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 23:01:33 »
Omg, it's still alive! Really looking forward to this

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #967 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 23:20:19 »
Can't wait!  I dabble with my Cannon XSi and the stock lens, an 80-200 zoom, and a nifty 50.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #968 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 02:24:09 »
I'm just using a Nikon D5000.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #969 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 20:31:18 »

Look, more progress updates:

Over the weekend I finished printing the 4x6s and finalized the words I'm including.

Tonight I did some proofing for the actual zine itself. Wasted a surprisingly small amount of ink and paper which is a great sign.

================================

Can't wait!  I dabble with my Cannon XSi and the stock lens, an 80-200 zoom, and a nifty 50.

Do you have a preference between the two lenses? I only shoot primes and sold off every kit/zoom lens I've ever had haha.

Cool! I love Nikon film cameras but I prefer Fuji for digital gear.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #970 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 00:04:28 »
can't wait to see how these turn out!!!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #971 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 19:18:43 »
I want mine delivered in person  :p
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #972 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 20:01:00 »

Look, more progress updates:

Show Image

Over the weekend I finished printing the 4x6s and finalized the words I'm including.

Show Image

Tonight I did some proofing for the actual zine itself. Wasted a surprisingly small amount of ink and paper which is a great sign.

================================

Do you have a preference between the two lenses? I only shoot primes and sold off every kit/zoom lens I've ever had haha.

Cool! I love Nikon film cameras but I prefer Fuji for digital gear.

The kit and the zoom pair well to cover a pretty nice range, though I still find at times I wish I had just a bit more zoom.  Decent for the price.  The Nifty 50 though is the best bang for the buck prime I’ve ever seen.  Usually find it for under $100, it’s a plastic body but wow does that thing take gorgeous shots for such a cheap lens.  1.8 if I recall?  You can spend a bit more and get a nicer one with metal body that drops the f stop to 1.2 I think.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #973 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 00:05:23 »
Nice to see you're still around and working on stuff!
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #974 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 16:18:57 »

Been really grinding on this printing. Finished printing, cutting, and folding sheet #3. Now I'm working on sheet #1.

The ink can be found locally thankfully so when I run low, I can just run out to Best Buy or Staples and grab some more. It's still on par price-wise with the print shops I quoted so it's SO nice to have everything DIY.

I was struggling with the printer for a bit and it kept smudging black ink on the prints which was super annoying.

And unfortunately all the printing also requires a resting period. The 4x6s paper specifically say to rest the prints for 24 hours and I definitely see a difference. Same with the zine itself. So while things are resting, I'm folding paper or packaging the 4x6s into their protective sleeves. Also I like flattening all the zines so sheet #3 is in a box with something heavy on top.

For those curious, I'm printing on a Canon Pixma Pro 100 with Canon ink. 4x6s are printed on Canon Photo Plus Glossy 4x6 paper. The zines are printed on HP Premium Presentation paper.

The zine was shot with a Nikon FE on Kodak Gold 400 and Ektar 100 film. I only used the micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 that weekend and I typically shoot with that lens for everything. I love the flexibility of having the macro lens and enjoy how sharp it is all around.

can't wait to see how these turn out!!!

Nice to see you're still around and working on stuff!

:-* :-* :-*

I want mine delivered in person  :p

Pepe's soon?

The kit and the zoom pair well to cover a pretty nice range, though I still find at times I wish I had just a bit more zoom.  Decent for the price.  The Nifty 50 though is the best bang for the buck prime I’ve ever seen.  Usually find it for under $100, it’s a plastic body but wow does that thing take gorgeous shots for such a cheap lens.  1.8 if I recall?  You can spend a bit more and get a nicer one with metal body that drops the f stop to 1.2 I think.

I think for the 50mm f/1.8 Nikon you're referring to is the Series E version. It's a nicer size but I prefer the nice metal bodies. And I think the metal body Nikon 50mm come in f/2 (which is what I shoot), f/1.8, and f/1.2. I've read the f/1.2 isn't great wide open. I'm very happy with my f/2. I should really grab a zoom lens again at some point to try it again.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #975 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 16:23:53 »
Getting excited. Looking forward to getting this one

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #976 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 20:22:38 »
Oh, snap. I was not subscribed to this.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #977 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 22:16:09 »
Awesome to see some updates. I'll have to update my address for this!  :thumb:
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #978 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:24:29 »
Print print print print. I'm printing side one of sheet two right now. Hoping to finish up the print run this week and finish up the assembly work before a trip next week.

Just a friendly reminder that this will be going up for sale and is not a free subscription like the old days.  :thumb:

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #979 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:30:35 »
Print print print print. I'm printing side one of sheet two right now. Hoping to finish up the print run this week and finish up the assembly work before a trip next week.

Just a friendly reminder that this will be going up for sale and is not a free subscription like the old days.  :thumb:

What was the asking price again?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #980 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:34:36 »
holy crap are you pumping these all out on inkjets?

madman
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #981 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 11:50:26 »
Just saw Booper's preview of the woodblock print that she did for the Zine.  Looks great!  Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #982 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 12:13:14 »
Just saw Booper's preview of the woodblock print that she did for the Zine.  Looks great!  Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Came here to post the same. Can't wait for the day we get demo discs with these.

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #983 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 12:16:51 »
awww yiss, demo discs with mags. 

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #984 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 13:12:00 »

Came here to post the same. Can't wait for the day we get demo discs with these.

Where was this posted?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #985 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 13:18:50 »

Where was this posted?

Instagram Story

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #986 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 14:48:05 »
I Elect myself for being sent things to photograph for the zine  :cool:

Qualifications: None

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dudesnail/

-----------------------------------

joking lol, but I would like to contribute if you ever need to use any of my pictures.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #987 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 21:42:03 »
So hyped for more Tactile, ome of my favorite parts of this hobby was getting them in the mail and reading through the interviews :D
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #988 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 00:12:02 »
These teasers! I can't wait

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #989 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 17:13:39 »
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #990 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 14:03:57 »
The end of June intensifies.

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #991 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 14:10:15 »
It's starting to feel Julyish in here ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #992 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 00:40:19 »

Yeah I realize I'm late and I'm disappointed in myself but oh well. Let's play good news bad news:

Bad news is that I meant to at least launch the thread to post the sale but forgot to since I'm on vacation.
Good news is that i'm 90% of the way ready to launch the sale. I've finished printing but not finished assembling the zines. So I'm almost on schedule if I post tomorrow.

madman

Yup. Last year I sold some zines and made enough to find a nice Canon inkjet printer. Thought I'd give DIY a shot. Probably will never do such a big run again myself. Also the reason why things have taken so long.

joking lol, but I would like to contribute if you ever need to use any of my pictures.

Unfortunately this is the last geekhack focused zine I'll be doing. I would've gladly accepted your help in the beforetime.

Thank you for the kind words and being patient everyone. Glad people are excited for this. I'll be posting the sale thread in the morning.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #993 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 00:49:53 »
I heard cptbadass is bad and he should feel bad

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #994 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 10:40:36 »

Yeah I realize I'm late and I'm disappointed in myself but oh well. Let's play good news bad news:

Bad news is that I meant to at least launch the thread to post the sale but forgot to since I'm on vacation.
Good news is that i'm 90% of the way ready to launch the sale. I've finished printing but not finished assembling the zines. So I'm almost on schedule if I post tomorrow.

madman

Yup. Last year I sold some zines and made enough to find a nice Canon inkjet printer. Thought I'd give DIY a shot. Probably will never do such a big run again myself. Also the reason why things have taken so long.

Unfortunately this is the last geekhack focused zine I'll be doing. I would've gladly accepted your help in the beforetime.

Thank you for the kind words and being patient everyone. Glad people are excited for this. I'll be posting the sale thread in the morning.

No worries, we are just stoked to see it!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #995 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 11:01:44 »
Can't wait to get minez.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #996 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 17:06:24 »
Just in case you've been following here and didn't see it, the sale thread is up:D

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #997 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 13:24:55 »

-Dana

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #998 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 21:24:45 »
Show Image

I think that's more complete than what I have right now lol.

Also, sale was just posted here if you're interested or have been following just here.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #999 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 22:29:35 »
Show Image

Nice!

I don't know if I have the bottom right one, with 6.39. Which is it?
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g