Author Topic: Windows 10 Update thoughts and questions...  (Read 119710 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: Windows 10 Update thoughts and questions...
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 22:11:01 »
Login screen is ugly... how to change?  :-[

The background? Or the bit you type the password into? It might change if you use the facial recognition login, but I'm not sure. Packed my webcam away fro the move that never happened lol...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 23:21:28 »
Went the automated Windows Update route. Amazed to see no issues, usually I always do a clean install instead, but this is great.
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 04:24:27 »
Has anyone figured out how to turn auto updates off as it kinda bothers me I usually get a terrible ping when I play games 180ms :x and even watching YouTube when play sometimes put me upto 250+
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 04:33:37 »
Has anyone figured out how to turn auto updates off as it kinda bothers me I usually get a terrible ping when I play games 180ms :x and even watching YouTube when play sometimes put me upto 250+

I believe that there is a way (from Microsoft) to do just that.  I don't have the time ATM to do that.  I will try to find it later.

The only thing I dislike about Windows 10 so far (been using the beta for a while now) is the lack of an option to ignore certain updates. Like graphics drivers. Driver updates should be made "optional" as they have been on all previous versions of Windows. You can only "sort of" turn off automatic updates...meaning you can choose when to restart your PC to apply the updates. I realize this is supposed to be "Windows-as-a-service" and that they want you to have the latest updates at all times. But I really don't need Microsoft updating my graphics driver, when I always get the latest driver direct from Nvidia.

I'm told there is a tool you can download from MS that will change windows updates to work more like win7... but I'm not sure how it works or where you get it from as I've yet to run the OS for any time (tried the beta for a day or so)...

Ah, I hadn't seen that. It's here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Thanks!

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 04:51:23 »

I believe that there is a way (from Microsoft) to do just that.  I don't have the time ATM to do that.  I will try to find it later.

The only thing I dislike about Windows 10 so far (been using the beta for a while now) is the lack of an option to ignore certain updates. Like graphics drivers. Driver updates should be made "optional" as they have been on all previous versions of Windows. You can only "sort of" turn off automatic updates...meaning you can choose when to restart your PC to apply the updates. I realize this is supposed to be "Windows-as-a-service" and that they want you to have the latest updates at all times. But I really don't need Microsoft updating my graphics driver, when I always get the latest driver direct from Nvidia.

I'm told there is a tool you can download from MS that will change windows updates to work more like win7... but I'm not sure how it works or where you get it from as I've yet to run the OS for any time (tried the beta for a day or so)...

Ah, I hadn't seen that. It's here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Thanks!
Ohh thanks baldgye
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 05:42:12 »
One of the guys at work received a new notebook couple of days ago with Win 8 on it.

It had the upgrade to Windows 10, and was apparently supported, according to Dell.

He upgraded to Windows 10.

Lots of bits of hardware simply did not work, so he did a factory reset to Win 8.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 06:36:37 »
One of the guys at work received a new notebook couple of days ago with Win 8 on it.

It had the upgrade to Windows 10, and was apparently supported, according to Dell.

He upgraded to Windows 10.

Lots of bits of hardware simply did not work, so he did a factory reset to Win 8.

I mean, it's only been out a day. I was pretty surprised that all my hardware worked and had supported drivers. Hell even ATi had proper graphics drivers for x64 win10.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 09:00:11 »
I just upgraded to windows 10 on my **** laptop, and it has been quite nice so far. much smoother than windows 8 was...

Oh and the new internet explorer is actually quite nice surprisingly. It's quite fast and pretty sleek looking...
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 July 2015, 09:01:46 by Air tree »

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 12:37:09 »
The Surface Pro 3 was upgraded last night and seems to have gone well. I liked earlier versions of Windows 10 visually more, but it seems like what we wound up ain't too bad.

So far it's running as smoothly as 8.1, which is great.

Now if I can get my work to move on from Windows 7...

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 13:13:38 »
Anyone having troubles with games in Windows 10? Or do I have nothing to fear?
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 13:21:06 »

I was worried but after installing the gfx drivers I ran all the games I've been messing with recently;

Project Cars
Starcraft 2
Alien Isolation

and all ran as they did in win7, even my settings where the same

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 13:34:21 »

I was worried but after installing the gfx drivers I ran all the games I've been messing with recently;

Project Cars
Starcraft 2
Alien Isolation

and all ran as they did in win7, even my settings where the same
Are GFX drivers = Graphics card drivers? :3
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 13:35:11 »
Inability to adjust window/start menu colors is a bit lame  :(

It's running alright, but it just seems like the UI was rushed.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 14:19:38 »
Which is hilarious since they've been tweaking it for nearly a YEAER.

I did like the look of Windows 8.1 a lot more, generally.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 14:35:47 »
Which is hilarious since they've been tweaking it for nearly a YEAER.

I did like the look of Windows 8.1 a lot more, generally.

What's there to tweak?  It's super minimal, all tiles, but lacks customization and everything is spread out ERREWHERE.  It's like... the larger my screen the more movement I need to do with my mouse to use stuff.  Bing integration with search/run is a terrible idea.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 14:53:41 »
I've had a lot of network issues, but that could be coincidental. A friend at work discovered Kaspersky wasn't working so downloaded some new software. An hour later Kaspersky updated to be compatible hah.

As for the UI, I don't think it's been rushed. I don't think stuff is spread out, unless you mean the settings are all in new places, it seems like it's the same areas on the screen it was in Windows 7, unless there are things I'm not using. Scrolling down in the start menu is cool, and I don't mind the blue start menu. I don't tend to spend a lot of time with it up for it to make a notable impact on my colour scheme.

The only thing I am a bit annoyed at is when you have a blank page set to open when you open a new tab, you have to click in the address box before you type anything in, instead of just putting the typing prompt in there straight away.

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 15:04:06 »
Edge seems like a pretty good browser but I can't move away from my Chrome extensions (especially Vimium).
Hopefully itwill give Google an incentive to optimize Chrome though because right now it just eats RAM.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 15:05:37 »
Edge seems like a pretty good browser but I can't move away from my Chrome extensions (especially Vimium).
Hopefully itwill give Google an incentive to optimize Chrome though because right now it just eats RAM.

Yeah, RES and my picture viewer are quite annoying to be without. I also can't use the web version of whatsapp on IE for some reason =/

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 15:26:08 »
Chrome noms RAM by design. You have a messload of tabs open? RAM = gone.

Google has a page about this: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6152583?hl=en

Offline Ryukuxyz

• VE.A!!!
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:45:10 »
Finally got it installed last night, been using it the whole day and I must say it's pretty pleasing to use.  Everything worked perfectly after the install, EXCEPT the NVidia drivers, which was fixed by simply deleting the old drivers, and installing the new ones from NVidia's site.  Overall the UI is very pleasing, though it's going to take a bit to get used to not being able to mouse to the side of my screens for window selection and volume/power options.  The notification thing they added is pretty nice, but I think I'm going to disable the option to automatically update.  The new browser they added, Edge, is extremely snappy; it literally opens the instant I click it, no delay whatsoever.  I will most likely use it for Netflix and streaming services, but stick with Opera for regular browsing.  The taskbar icons are kind of small, which is a bit annoying, and the big "Search Windows" bar is as well, but I'm sure with a bit of research I'll be able to fix these things up as well.  The biggest thing I liked about this new OS is the start menu, I personally did not like the Win8 one at all, and in Win10 they switched back to a more Win7/Vista-esque traditional taskbar, which I love.  Overall, the experience is great so far, I would definitely recommend upgrading if you are able to, just make sure to disable all the "botnet" stuff like keystroke logging.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:49:46 »
I don't understand the reason why you would want to turn off the automatic updates...

Offline Ryukuxyz

• VE.A!!!
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:53:46 »
The only reason I'm turning them off is because it forces a restart, and if I'm in the middle of something important and it does it, I'd get pissed.   I checked for updates weekly manually back on Win8 anyways, so I won't be too outdated anyways.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:59:30 »
The only reason I'm turning them off is because it forces a restart, and if I'm in the middle of something important and it does it, I'd get pissed.   I checked for updates weekly manually back on Win8 anyways, so I won't be too outdated anyways.

I am pretty sure they aren't going to force a restart upon you without notifying you.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 21:15:44 »

I am pretty sure they aren't going to force a restart upon you without notifying you.

Oh but it does :3

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 21:24:13 »
Do you think that updates will come out more often or random than (not every) Tuesday afternoons?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 21:31:30 »

What? Just, all of a sudden; restart?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:00:30 »

si capitan.  I do get a notification, but once it's done installing.... WHOOP restart.

Offline Ryukuxyz

• VE.A!!!
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:04:00 »

si capitan.  I do get a notification, but once it's done installing.... WHOOP restart.

Yup, I've been restarted on twice now, already disabled automatic updates.  Like I said, it's no big deal, I check once a week anyways, so I won't be missing anything.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:44:49 »
Well that's stupid.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:47:21 »
Well that's stupid.

There's lots of "wtf" with this OS.  Like I said it runs great but.... wtf UI?  Common sense settings/admin functions/updates? NON-SENSE!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:52:00 »
Well that's stupid.

Welcome to Microsoft mentality.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 00:29:49 »
Some useful keyboard shortcuts for those who haven't got rid of their windows keys:

More
Winkey + Tab Activates Task View
Winkey + A Activates Action Center
Winkey + C Activates Cortana with speech>
Winkey + D Shows desktop
Winkey + E Opens File Explorer
Winkey + G Activates the new Xbox game bar to let you record games or take screenshots.
Winkey + H Activates share feature in Windows 10 apps
Winkey + I Opens Windows 10 settings

Winkey + K Activates Connect feature to stream to wireless displays and audio devices
Winkey + L Locks a machine
Winkey + P Project a screen
Winkey + R Run a command
Winkey + S Activates Cortana

Winkey + X Opens power user features
Winkey + Left / Right / Up / Down Snaps apps to the side of a screen (press Up or Down after snapping left / right to enable four apps to snap)
Winkey + Ctrl + D Creates a new virtual desktop
Winkey + Ctrl + F4 Close virtual desktop
Winkey + Ctrl + Left or Right Switch between virtual desktops
Winkey + Shift + Left or Right Move apps from one monitor to another
Winkey + 1 / 2 / 3... Open programs that are pinned on the taskbar. The first app is number one.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 00:40:32 »
Does right-clicking the start button still bring up that nice context menu to access admin stuff?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 01:08:27 »
Well that's stupid.

There's lots of "wtf" with this OS.  Like I said it runs great but.... wtf UI?  Common sense settings/admin functions/updates? NON-SENSE!

I really like the new UI, though I'm still getting used to the new start menu

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 03:35:32 »

Yeah I can confirm I had it happen just yesterday was happily playing league of legends mid game, then blam restarting was not impressed :I

Also just updated my Alienware laptop and after a bit of fiddling with the sound drive everything is work fine :)
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 04:45:41 »
To turn off random restarts:
Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Advanced Options -> Change it from "Automatic" to "Notify to schedule restart"
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 05:33:42 »
Something happened.

:))

Offline Belfong

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 08:32:53 »
Does right-clicking the start button still bring up that nice context menu to access admin stuff?
yes it does and more.

Offline fishcola

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 10:51:32 »
I wish the settings page was smaller and more space efficient. It feels too spread out. I hope MS makes a more space efficient one... this one seems like a lazy approach to covering touch and non-touch devices.... Wierd how control panel follows the traditional layout but it feels like someone dropped a grenade in settings.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 11:17:40 »

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple

Offline Ryukuxyz

• VE.A!!!
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 11:41:01 »
Well that's stupid.

I really like the new start menu, it feels more like an actual start menu rather than a weird panels thing.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 11:46:34 »
Well that's stupid.

I really like the new start menu, it feels more like an actual start menu rather than a weird panels thing.

Coming from W7 there isn't much that's improved in the start menu.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 12:36:05 »
Well that's stupid.

I kinda know what you mean, but the tiles have a lot of room to grow and add to the start menu, having more info you can quickly glance at while not taking up the desktop is nice.

I also really like the notifications area in the task bar

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 12:37:55 »
Well that's stupid.

I kinda know what you mean, but the tiles have a lot of room to grow and add to the start menu, having more info you can quickly glance at while not taking up the desktop is nice.

Is there a shortcut for notifications? clicking in the lower right of my monitor is sort of a stretch.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 12:41:07 »
Well that's stupid.

Is there a shortcut for notifications? clicking in the lower right of my monitor is sort of a stretch.

I've no idea, Kat posted a keyboard shortcut list a page or two back, but I'm just a one screen povo so it's not something I ever thought about haha

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 14:41:47 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 July 2015, 14:46:50 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 15:27:42 »
Something happened.

:))

(Attachment Link)

Somebody set up us the bomb.

It was Microsoft.

Show Image

What you say!!!

Seriously though, I finally got Windows 10 installed on my work computer. So far it's not very different from 8. I like having the start menu back. Other than that, I immediately disabled anything Bing-related and moved my tiles back where I wanted them.

My big concern is whether or not this will be a welcome change for my staff who are all still on Win7 and don't want to move off of it.

My boards:
More

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 15:38:46 »
My big concern is whether or not this will be a welcome change for my staff who are all still on Win7 and don't want to move off of it.

They have no choice ^~^

Also why do you not have the title "It's so bad" Yet? hoff get on this!
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 15:49:25 »
Just did the free upgrade from 7. I was on 7 because I hated 8. So far Im digging 10! :)