Author Topic: Windows 10 Update thoughts and questions...  (Read 119582 times)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Re: Windows 10 Update thoughts and questions...
« Reply #400 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 10:31:36 »
ah ok, tbf I feel like that is well beyond what I actually use my PC for these days

Right...ultimately most people can coexist with UAC and non-admin program access without problems. I do run into issues sometimes with some things I do, so I try to bypass that situation entirely.

Disabling UAC (as opposed to just disabling the notifications) is not necessary for the average user and probably majority of users.

So, just for the sake of anyone else here who might want to follow in your footsteps, I should point out that this is a really bad idea. You're undermining the single most important security measure on your computer--the gut check that keeps you from accidentally doing something stupid.

This depends on your perspective. I want all processes to run elevated. Therefore, it is a bad idea to use an OS that has this protection (bad idea relative to my goals). I work around this with configuration that is made available by the OS developer. I have not, in however many years Windows 7 has been out, had a single issue as a result. I run questionable software that might do harm in a VM and I take backups to be able to go back to before an unauthorized malicious change (not that I've had to do so yet).

UAC serves a purpose and I agree that it is an important warning - "hey, something might happen that you don't want, are you sure you want to let it happen?" - but I'm content to carry on as I am.

If this 'app' model doesn't die off (and as much as I can hope, I know it won't) I will probably have to change at some point, but perhaps by then I won't have any meaningful reason other than stubbornness to turn off UAC anyway.

We're not that far removed from this being the norm. Prior to XP, there was no concept of privileges in Windows (on the consumer side, anyway). And even then, XP made everyone an admin by default. Those of us savvy enough, managed to avoid major issues through simple diligence and caution.

That said, when Vista introduced UAC, I welcomed it with open arms because I knew it would save me a ton of time supporting other users. Windows 7 has been even better.

I'm curious, you say that your goal is to run everything elevated. I have to think your actual goal is to not be bothered by elevation requests. Wouldn't silencing them have the same net effect?

There are workarounds for my utilities that do not cooperate as desired with UAC on, so ultimately it is preference...

Note that I have programs that must run as admin, so this is a 2-tiered problem. 1, I do not tolerate the prompts and disable them via the slider. 2, I don't want to have to instruct specific programs to run as admin, I'd rather it just be done globally, so that's just laziness on my part.

Regardless...UAC is an improvement and a good compromise from how it used to be. DOS-based Windows just ran everything, period. Early NT-based you were either admin or you weren't and didn't have much of a good way around it. Since Vista UAC has been a useful middle ground where you can be admin but processes don't always run as admin, and relatively seamlessly can be elevated as needed.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #401 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 18:27:54 »
I'll keep Windows 7 in my machine, I just deleted the Windows 10 upgrade, it was consuming all my CPU cycles, pretty much always.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #402 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:26:05 »
Bumping this thread with a problem.

After logging in I just get a black screen. After three or four minutes it takes me through to my desktop, but then takes forever to load anything, and has crashed to a blue screen with a cursor. When I lock my PC from the blue screen I get the login screen again, but then it goes blue again.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #403 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:23:54 »
I just ****ing reinstalled windows 7. I feel defeatest because I liked 10 and this was the first real issue I had. Shame it completely ruined the OS and my PC.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #404 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:14:43 »
I just ****ing reinstalled windows 7. I feel defeatest because I liked 10 and this was the first real issue I had. Shame it completely ruined the OS and my PC.

So it's too late to help with the W10 problem?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #405 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 00:53:29 »
Don't feel bad, this is why a  lot of people went back to Win7, including myself.
Yes, you might fix it, and then it downloads another update and kills your video, again. Updates can be good, but forcing them is asking for these exact problems.

I ditched it for a few reasons actually, spying, mandatory updates, unexpected restarts... The worst though was on my tablet, I only use it outside the home, which means slow or tethered connections, and each time it connected to a new wifi I had to tell it it was metered or it would bog down the connection or chew through my data plan.

Don't get me wrong, I like the underlying OS, data transfers are better over network which I do a lot of, and even the GUI for the most part (I like how it feels more modern), but it was just really frustrating to use by the time you dealt with the problems it has. When you kill the spying and updates, it causes weird issues down the line.  For now, I now use Win7 with a theme that is similar to Win10, I may run a Win10 partition once they enable Enterprises ability to turn off the garbage, but I;m trying to get rid of Windows anyhow, so...
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #406 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 18:06:46 »

So it's too late to help with the W10 problem?

I can't find any solutions online at all. As much as I tried.

It took me five attempts, but finally I am back on windows 7

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #407 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 01:21:11 »

I now have W10 on my laptop, main PC and tablet.
The tablet actually improved in speed.
The laptop had some trackpad issues but that's Sony for you with their custom hardware.
The PC got stuck at 92% but after a clean win7 install it went on to install without a hitch.

The only issue is with my parents' PC, which is crashing at random for some reason, prompting my mom to demend me to reinstall W7... even though she clicked yes even though I said to wait until I had time,to help. :P
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline crayzieap

« Reply #408 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:01:28 »
Liking it so far.  Haven't run into issues with my current pc build.   It did take like 10 plus hours to do a complete fresh install.  I also got a new 240 SDD that I'm tempted to put the OS on (I have a smaller 96GB SDD that uses the OS).

Offline sitch

« Reply #409 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 06:07:43 »
Upgraded to windows 10 recently,

nothing much difference in term of functionality compared to win7 for me though..

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #410 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 14:58:43 »
I do feel like I've gone back in time after so long using 10 to be honest. No news on startup, start menu looks realllly dated, and I just like the feel of ten.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #411 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 16:12:40 »
Yeah 10 has a good feel but it's taking me a long time to adjust to the new 'my computer' placement and I really don't like the new picture viewer, though the fact it properly displays 'gif's' is nice

Offline crovax3000

« Reply #412 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 16:42:04 »
I know a lot of people have said it's fine, but I'm still nervous about compatibility of 10 and different programs. I'll probably just update on the last day the free upgrade is available.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #413 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 17:10:51 »
I know a lot of people have said it's fine, but I'm still nervous about compatibility of 10 and different programs. I'll probably just update on the last day the free upgrade is available.

The compatibility issues are being sorted very quickly. I didn't have any issues with things that I can think of.

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #414 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 01:48:58 »

This is basically my plan as well. I had serious issues with the privacy and bad driver support at launch and now I just feel like I'd rather wait out till its close to the end. My Windows 8.1 isn't broke so no need to fix it sort of mentality.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #415 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 15:03:36 »
I'm bumping this up again. I'm considering upgrading again, just to see how it goes.

Has anyone had anymore recurring issues they can't get sorted? Anything I should look out for? My Dota has stopped working in 64bit mode even though I'm using a 64bit version of Win 7

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #416 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 15:10:20 »
I'm bumping this up again. I'm considering upgrading again, just to see how it goes.

Has anyone had anymore recurring issues they can't get sorted? Anything I should look out for? My Dota has stopped working in 64bit mode even though I'm using a 64bit version of Win 7

I've noticed a few things about the OS I don't much like.
A mate of mine upgraded because his old windows install went mental on him. He has all kinds of issues with searching for programs he has installed, but other than that not much else. Though tbh I don't see much point in upgrading from win7 to 10. The slight improvements in 10 aren't really worth the hassle and re-learning muscle memory when using the start menu. On top of the other issues you've been having...

..but you should upgrade your moba to a proper RTS  :-* :-*

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #417 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 15:16:08 »
I think Microsoft are getting desperate that I haven't upgraded yet.  Every couple of days I get a message like this:

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #418 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 15:17:25 »
A mate of mine upgraded because his old windows install went mental on him. He has all kinds of issues with searching for programs he has installed, but other than that not much else. Though tbh I don't see much point in upgrading from win7 to 10. The slight improvements in 10 aren't really worth the hassle and re-learning muscle memory when using the start menu. On top of the other issues you've been having...

I like 10 when I used it. I used it for a good, three months or so? And seven is just... meh... The look and feel of 10 are so much better, and win 7 still looks really old. I think I will do it tomorrow when I get home, **** it. See how it goes.

I can compete on Dota though, and I have other people to blame it on when I **** up...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #419 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 15:19:36 »

I like 10 when I used it. I used it for a good, three months or so? And seven is just... meh... The look and feel of 10 are so much better, and win 7 still looks really old. I think I will do it tomorrow when I get home, **** it. See how it goes.

I can compete on Dota though, and I have other people to blame it on when I **** up...

thats what team games are foorrrrrr #chillin

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #420 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 16:02:13 »
I like 10, but I miss some of the swipe in functions of 8/8.1. I really don't see what the big deal is about all the spying. You can disable most of it and what you can't seems to be anonymous. I'm a little annoyed about the inability to disable automatic updates, but I'm sure there's a reghack out there for it.
I'm back.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #421 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 16:58:24 »
I've disabled most of the "send your data to microsoft" things. Win10 Enterprise is fun.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #422 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 16:59:23 »
I've disabled most of the "send your data to microsoft" things. Win10 Enterprise is fun.

I send everything to MS, figure, share the love. NSA, GCHQ etc know all my ****... hell maybe MS can use it to help me out rather than just being a creepy perv

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #423 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 20:04:00 »

I send everything to MS, figure, share the love. NSA, GCHQ etc know all my ****... hell maybe MS can use it to help me out rather than just being a creepy perv

Hehe. I bet as a result that Cortana works well. Not exactly for me...oh well.

This dog looks really fascinated by the Windows 10 upgrade.

Thanks Microsoft Insider. Such upgrade. Very system. So window.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #424 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 20:08:53 »
Does the face entry thing work? Can you look at your webcam and get in on Win 10 yet?

I'm googling it...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #425 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 20:24:40 »

I have an office with several Win10 systems, they HATE IT. The upgrades keep flooding the wifi system, then reboots on them. One shut off the mouse while it updated and didn't re-enable it when finished (a restart fixed the mouse). These were brand new I5 laptops and the owner considered paying me to install Win7 on each of them which would have been costly. This may not seem like that big a big deal, but this guy is a miser who's so tight with money he squeaks when he walks. I almost fell out over when he even considered the idea.

Two of my laptops had the wifi flooded to where the computer was useless while updating as well, however my network is more robust and didn't flood out everything on it. Then there was the Nvidia debacle where it caused boot loops, I personally didn't get hit by this, but I know people who did. Then an MS update caused boot loops, the fix then caused other boot loops before they finally fixed it. Some people had to do a complete re-install to get back up and rnning. One of my personal laptops got hit with this. I eventually found a tool that allowed me to disable that update, however as soon as MS re-issued a patched version it re-installed again a week later. Third time was the charm and it finally worked, but trying to find a workaround was not easy.

And then there is just the updates in general, my tablet burned though 50% of my cell data before I knew what happened. This can be disabled, but only when you remember and know where to find it. Considering I only tend to use it while traveling, that's an issue.

I'm back on 7, however, I agree with Baldgye, 7 looks old, but that's an easy fix. I changed the taskbars black and use a Start icon changer. On the surface, it looks like 10, runs like Win7, which can be good and bad. The underlying OS of Win10 is good, as is the interface, it's just some of the more annoying things MS tacked onto it that make it bad. I don't like forced updates I have zero control over. I know the hell they can cause, especially at the hands of MS.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #426 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 20:27:14 »

Show Image

Those people are WAY too happy watching and hours long upgrade process, then again, maybe they upgrade from Windows 8.0, I would probably be that happy too.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #427 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 20:27:58 »
Great, so because I don't want to buy an integrated PC, or a new mobile device, I'm going to have to wait until Razer brings a Realsense camera out...

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #428 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 20:32:36 »
I've had 10 since it was in the beta, and it's been pretty solid for me. I host subsonic, plex, sickbeard/couch potato/sab, and a bunch of VMs, and haven't had any issues yet. Powershell integration is really solid, and I'm looking forward to the official ssh support.

I do a bunch of gaming on it as well, and haven't had any compatibility issues either. Start menu isn't too bad, search is pretty fast too. I turned off all the tiles for a cleaner look. I did purchase Start10, but only use it for transparent taskbars.

It's definitely a big change from 7, but with some time it's pretty easy to get used to.

FWIW, we're also using it on a few computers at work in a domain environment, and it's been solid there too.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #429 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 21:02:34 »
I've had 10 since it was in the beta, and it's been pretty solid for me. I host subsonic, plex, sickbeard/couch potato/sab, and a bunch of VMs, and haven't had any issues yet. Powershell integration is really solid, and I'm looking forward to the official ssh support.
Don't get me wrong, I actually like the OS in general, it runs fine, it's the forced updates that cause the most trouble. I've worked long enough in this industry to know better than to trust every update thrown out.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Altis

« Reply #430 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 21:05:50 »
...... I don't like forced updates I have zero control over. I know the hell they can cause, especially at the hands of MS.

I share your sentiment. I don't mind it quite as much on my desktop now that I have unlimited bandwidth, but it would sometimes eat the battery on my laptop as I don't use it as often.

The other day it burned through about 30-40% of my battery doing nothing but some kind of intense behind-the-scenes updates/work. The fan was running full speed the whole time, too.

I need to be able to control when things happen, and I very much dislike the arm-twist methods that they are employing. They remind me of what I dislike most about Apple products (updates).

I'm still quite mixed about the overall Windows 10 experience. I love the new snapping features, multiple desktop instances, and being able to scale my screens differently, and it overall looks pretty good. I just find a lot of the animations/features kind of slow or buggy. Even photo viewer doesn't always work right for me and will randomly stop working.

It looks good though and I prefer it to Windows 8 (who doesn't?). Windows 7 still feels a bit better for a desktop, to me.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #431 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 21:09:19 »
Other than the black screen that forced me to swap back to 7, I did have random boot ups which were really weird... Has anyone else had these random boot ups or am I the only one?

I know I did that power thing before, but it made no sense to me before.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2015, 21:12:45 by katushkin »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #432 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 21:11:10 »
Does the face entry thing work? Can you look at your webcam and get in on Win 10 yet?

I'm googling it...

I'm testing a Surface Book for my team at work.  The face login thing (Windows Hello I think) is pretty cool.  Works almost every time, except one time when I had a migraine.  Which is interesting.  I've heard the infrared camera looks at the heat map of your face, so maybe the migraine/change in blood pressure in my head did something?  Cool and weird and :eek: all at the same time.

And the Surface Book has not had a single crash, lockup, slowdown, anything.  Rock solid, and the hardware has a very premium feel to it.
I'm back.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #433 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 21:25:12 »
The other day it burned through about 30-40% of my battery doing nothing but some kind of intense behind-the-scenes updates/work. The fan was running full speed the whole time, too.
That's another thing...
My laptop came out of sleep, updated and restarted, without any input, luckily, it was not in my work bag where it would have suffocated. I had a Sony come out of sleep once while in a bag, and luckily, the battery died before it got hot enough to do any permanent damage to the laptop itself, it did do about 10% damage to the battery when it ran down to nothing.

Other than the black screen that forced me to swap back to 7, I did have random boot ups which were really weird... Has anyone else had these random boot ups or am I the only one?
Yes, the black screen was what I got after the bad update was "patched". First it did a boot loop, I reinstalled and blocked the update (only fix that worked). Then it updated and reinstalled the patched, which black screened, luckily I got into safe mode and removed that one as well.  The third patch finally corrected everything.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #434 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 22:31:20 »
For me at least, Win 10 has been very stable.  The one issue, isn't an issue with the OS, but the company of the software being slow to adopt to new OS's.  But they do have a long history of this tendency.   The software won't even install due to a conflict with a .net framework.  I don't know that much about the software side, outside of the fact that it won't install at all.  Setup a dual boot wit 10/7 and installed it on the 7 drive.  Next years version will have 10 support though.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #435 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 03:37:44 »
Not sure if it's a Windows 10 thing but my Assassins Creed Syndicate will not open past the title screen without crashing the game and giving me an ACS.exe stopped working message. Can't play the damn game and it drives me nuts. I've tried several fixes online to no avail. Sad times.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #436 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 03:39:51 »

By random boot ups do you mean your computer freezes then reboots itself? If so, then yes. But I had a tech friend look into it and he changed something and it hasn't happened since. Not much help, I know.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #437 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 03:41:36 »

Hehe. I bet as a result that Cortana works well. Not exactly for me...oh well.

Show Image

Never use it, seems pointless tbh lol

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #438 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 06:21:43 »

Not sure if it's a Windows 10 thing but my Assassins Creed Syndicate will not open past the title screen without crashing the game and giving me an ACS.exe stopped working message. Can't play the damn game and it drives me nuts. I've tried several fixes online to no avail. Sad times.

You can try running it in compatibility mode
I'm back.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #439 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 09:08:20 »

By random boot ups do you mean your computer freezes then reboots itself? If so, then yes. But I had a tech friend look into it and he changed something and it hasn't happened since. Not much help, I know.

Nah, as in it just starts up at random intervals from being completely shut down.

Also the update detected  that my copy of windows wasn't genuine. **** my life.

Offline SL89

« Reply #440 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 09:18:21 »
So now im in a pickle, I have one W10 pc left (everything else is Mac or Linux) and now for some reason i cant apply an update because a different update failed to apply... I've contacted Microsoft about it and they just say to apply the first one, but when I do it's already applied...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #441 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 09:24:02 »

LMAO

maaaaaate

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #442 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 09:31:02 »
So now im in a pickle, I have one W10 pc left (everything else is Mac or Linux) and now for some reason i cant apply an update because a different update failed to apply... I've contacted Microsoft about it and they just say to apply the first one, but when I do it's already applied...

Does that update show up in Add/Remove Programs > View Installed Updates? If so, you can try uninstalling it there, then reinstalling it.

Offline SL89

« Reply #443 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 09:31:51 »

Does that update show up in Add/Remove Programs > View Installed Updates? If so, you can try uninstalling it there, then reinstalling it.

Noooope

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #444 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 09:32:17 »

Noooope

What's the kb#?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #445 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 09:32:26 »

Noooope

Recovery point?

Offline SL89

« Reply #446 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 11:05:41 »
Nothing far back enough 😑

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #447 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 13:10:06 »

Nah, as in it just starts up at random intervals from being completely shut down.

Really? Mine isn't genuine and it works fine for me. The worst part is I actually bought windows 8.1 and then installed it on my old iMac and upgraded to 10 there. But apparently the license is tied to the hardware forcing me to pirate windows 10 when o actually own a copy.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #448 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 11:49:57 »

this makes me quite cross

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #449 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 16:54:12 »
Really? Mine isn't genuine and it works fine for me. The worst part is I actually bought windows 8.1 and then installed it on my old iMac and upgraded to 10 there. But apparently the license is tied to the hardware forcing me to pirate windows 10 when o actually own a copy.

Yeah, it didn't do it before though.

I've had to do a fresh windows 7 install because 10 wouldn't work, and now Windows 10 isn't working well either. I'm having to do every update because th ewindows 10 update pauses at "checking for updates" at 22%....