Author Topic: I Joined for Custom Caps  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Chasseur

• I'm here for the nuts
I Joined for Custom Caps
« on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 14:14:15 »
Hello Geekhack, I decided to join after coming across GH a number of times in my search for keycap sets, keyboard reviews, and various technical keyboard questions, and because I want to follow the progress of Matt3o's custom Topre keycap set and provide feedback on GH rather than Massdrop. I have a collection of several keyboards, primarily Topre-switch based (HHKB Pro2, Realforce 87u, Novatouch TKL), with a Logitech G710+ and Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic in weekly rotation at my personal computer. A WhiteFox is on the way with Cherry blues, which I will assemble.

I also keep a variety of mouses available and have started modifying them to match my keyboards. Most recently, I colour-matched my Logitech G500s to my Topre keyboard setup, shown in the picture below. Yes, I know the cable is wrong, but it looked like rewiring the mouse would have been a ton of work, so I skipped it.

122850-0

I have a similar mod planned to match a Logitech G402 to the WhiteFox. I'll document that project if people are interested.

I look forward to following the development of future custom keycap sets. Thanks for reading and welcoming me into the community.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
Re: I Joined for Custom Caps
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 14:32:01 »
Interesting...

How did you color match the mouse?

Paint? Custom parts?

None the less, Welcome to GH.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 14:38:58 »
Welcome to Clackers Anonymous. . Lol

Offline Chasseur

• I'm here for the nuts
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 15:18:53 »
Thanks for the welcome.

I matched the g500s to the HHKB with paint, Krylon Colormaster. I tested several types of paint over a few months on the G500s's easy-to-remove back cover, which also serves as the left and right click. Krylon Colormaster paints, particularly gloss finishes, proved to be incredibly wear resistant. Other brands from model manufacturers were much less durable. I let all paints set for ~3 days before using the mouse during paint testing.

Once I had a durable paint, it was just a matter of grabbing colours, disassembling and cleaning the mouse, then painting the components. I set the "sniper" thumb button to LCTRL to ease CTRL+ access, so it was painted gloss red (452108) to match the HHKB control, all of the other buttons are gloss grey (451606), and the body is satin white (453564), product codes are shown in brackets. I would change the body to gloss white if I were to do it again, mostly for improved durability, the satin developed minor shine where my thumb rests after ~1.5 months.

« Last Edit: Mon, 04 January 2016, 15:28:33 by Chasseur »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 15:22:40 »
wow, straight to the top with that hhkb. welcome  :thumb:
What numpad is that?
-Dana

Offline dohbot

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 15:24:28 »
Welcome!

I think the black cable is fine. You can barely see it anyways!
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 16:33:16 »
What numpad is that?

That's a Realforce 23U.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 20:49:16 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's a whole section on input devices, including mouses, if you want to post more pics there.

Or the making stuff together section would be a good place for a build log.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 21:51:33 »
What numpad is that?

That's a Realforce 23U.

thanks!
-Dana

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 21:53:32 »
Welcome to Clackers Anonymous. . Lol

Welcome to Clackers Thockers Annonymous  :p

Nice Topre Setup!
<- My Collection (so far)