Author Topic: Hello, I'm an artisan keycap enthusiast  (Read 1772 times)

Offline SansTheSkeleton

• Sans loves keyboards too!
Hello, I'm an artisan keycap enthusiast
« on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:41:13 »
I've always owned a mech but I've never got interested in artisan keycaps until I saw a few on massdrop.  It led me to making a few google searches..and I found this site!

Please welcome me in..
Few questions :
How do I stay safe when purchasing keycaps from other people?  Chargebacks, scams, never delivering... is there like a rep system here?

Thank you!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: Hello, I'm an artisan keycap enthusiast
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:45:50 »
Welcome!

I'd recommend using PayPal when purchasing from people. No matter how reputable someone is they can still take advantage of you. PayPal is very good at mediating between buyer and seller, and at preventing buyer's from getting scammed.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:46:48 »
I've always owned a mech but I've never got interested in artisan keycaps until I saw a few on massdrop.  It led me to making a few google searches..and I found this site!

Please welcome me in..
Few questions :
How do I stay safe when purchasing keycaps from other people?  Chargebacks, scams, never delivering... is there like a rep system here?

Thank you!

Welcome! We use the website heatware.com to give reviews of other users for transactions. Not everybody uses it but it's very beneficial, also if they're a known member of the forum then it's usually safe to go with them(paypal is always used). A little advice, nobody really likes to sell their caps so offering money is basically of no use. There's a lot of people that just offer money and I never really see them get a cap, just wait around for some buys from the actually artisans and try your hand at winning a cap.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 15:02:22 »
If you're on this site, use Heatware. I wish that people used it more.

reddit.com/r/mechmarket has a nice little flair system that increases with each confirmed trade.

If you're buying something, use Paypal. And don't ever label it as a gift, b/c you lose buyer protection that way.

Offline SansTheSkeleton

• Sans loves keyboards too!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 15:06:03 »

Welcome! We use the website heatware.com to give reviews of other users for transactions. Not everybody uses it but it's very beneficial, also if they're a known member of the forum then it's usually safe to go with them(paypal is always used). A little advice, nobody really likes to sell their caps so offering money is basically of no use. There's a lot of people that just offer money and I never really see them get a cap, just wait around for some buys from the actually artisans and try your hand at winning a cap.
[/quote]

Heatware?  I think I'll try it out, thanks for the tip.

reddit.com/r/mechmarket has a nice little flair system that increases with each confirmed trade.

If you're buying something, use Paypal. And don't ever label it as a gift, b/c you lose buyer protection that way.

Got it, I have a paypal ready.  Who usually goes first, the seller or buyer?

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 15:13:24 »

Heatware?  I think I'll try it out, thanks for the tip.

Got it, I have a paypal ready.  Who usually goes first, the seller or buyer?
[/quote]

Goes first  doing what? If you're buying, then typically you pay and then the seller ships quickly (and the seller should give you a tracking number the same day that they ship it).

But you should know that at least 75% (unscientific estimate) of all artisan keycap exchanges are trades, while maybe 25% are sales. To really build up an artisan keycap collection, you'll need to be patient and wait for the sales by the artisans themselves.  So definitely browse around the Artisan Services subforum and then click the "Watch" button in the threads for artisans that you like. Then you can click the "Watched" button whenever you login to see if there are new posts. The sales directly from the artisans are hard to win (usually there's a lot of entrants relative to the number of caps) but the pain of losing raffles is part of being an artisan collector (and *****ing about it is definitely part of the fun, too).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 20:57:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Buying (and selling) artisan keycaps has become very competitive in the last year or two, unfortunately.

Your best bet is to participate in the community so you can get to know who is who, who is reliable and so on.

Apart from that, there are some good suggestions above.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ