Author Topic: MX 11800 for parts?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
MX 11800 for parts?
« on: Sat, 09 January 2010, 21:21:56 »
Is this my best bet regarding cost?

$28 BIN+$7 SHIP=$35  

I hate killing a cool board. :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220532261871&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1865wt_1167

I need about 20 Cherry browns, the top row keys (ESC, F1-F12, and a few misc keys), and maybe a Cherry MX switch PCB for mounting. This is for replacing the rubber key row on the Kinesis Spit Board Project.

The trackball could get used, but I don't know yet.

Any other ideas are welcome.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Input Nirvana

MX 11800 for parts?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 January 2010, 00:12:39 »
I also need the actual plastic keys since the Kinesis Contoured just has rubber buttons instead or normal keys on the top row.
Using a blank PCB is a better plan though, I'll do that instead. And, I only need 18 switches and keys, maybe even only 15.

There is also this choice with Cherry blacks, same keys for $22 total, way cheaper. A trackpad (which I could throw on the right side keypad) instead of trackball:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350301253258&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3249wt_1167
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 January 2010, 00:57:04 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
MX 11800 for parts?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 January 2010, 02:21:10 »
Reminding you that I've done the mod with Cherry-style keys replacing the Chiclets on one of my Kinesis Contours.

The PCB mounting was harder than cutting the case aesthetically, at least as far as hours spent are counted. The screws for the PCB enter a channel instead of a cylinder. This means the screws are essentially in contact with only two points, and can pivot if you're not careful. I'll post some pics in my thread next time I open the case.

So far I've mounted only the 12 fkeys, but ESC is the one I need more often. I've been tempted to put a red ESC smack dab in the middle, but been holding back with the ESC implementation until I'm not impatient.

EDIT:
This pic shows the oval 'holes' or channels on each end of the cutout. These serve to anchor the screws PLUS hold the PCB at the proper angle. They are hard to work with. The top end is too shallow to hold a screw properly.

The following image shows my PCB mounting with motherboard standoffs. The nylon shafts at the top of the pic were too long and the nylon screws stripped too easily for them to be a permanent solution.

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 January 2010, 02:30:25 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Input Nirvana

MX 11800 for parts?
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 January 2010, 10:31:16 »
Hmpf. That's a challenge. I haven't taken the rubber keys apart yet (if at all now). I will put the keyboard back together with the trackpoint installed (before splitting into halves) to trial run the integrated pointing device for a while. I originally thought splitting the keyboard was the big mod move, but now it is definitely only second to adding the pointing device into the key field. By a long shot. Splitting the board is just ergo, the integrated trackpoint is ergo and functionally more. I'll stick with the trackpoint in January, and the split after typing trials are completed in February. :)

I like the idea of one of those Staples "EASY" buttons as an Esc key in the middle, especially if it lights up and makes a foghorn sound when you press it.

Thanks for the pics and explanation, very helpful for me. I hope my evolving thread on the trackpoint add and split will be useful to anyone in the future with questions. I looked high and low previously and couldn't find much detailed info.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 January 2010, 11:05:42 by input nirvana »