Author Topic: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Group Buy Launching June 1st!  (Read 183450 times)

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 a Universal Splitspacebar PCB w/ TheManBehindTheVan
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 09:24:47 »
60% board with arrow key is what im looking for, especially if my layout can fit would be perfect  ;D

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 a Universal Splitspacebar PCB w/ TheManBehindTheVan
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 17:27:21 »
So with the expressed interest for PCB mounted stabs. Evan looked over the PCB and we are happy to announce that we will be implementing PCB mounted stabilizers. Sorry with the lack of announcements, we are still working hard and diligently on this project. New updates will be coming out with more information on the finalization of the PCB and design of the plates. Thanks for the continued support, it means a lot.  :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 20:33:08 »
Excellent, the PCB will be fully flexible.

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 01:22:00 »
Somehow missed this earlier.  Looks fantastic - love the versatility.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 11:00:28 »
Hey, I have another update. The other day I was messing around with the layouts to see if we can create something more reliable. The major concern was finding keycaps for the set. I toyed around with the split-spacebar, but kept the original design for the arrow key cluster. To me the splitspacebar looked a little off and just wasn't as properly aligned as a standard 6.25. On top of this I started to really like the idea of having a key in between the spacebars. Hope this one image clarified layout concerns as well as show casing my new split-spacebar idea. If we have a majority who prefers this over the existing layouts, we will 100% accommodate and see if we can make it work.

Thanks for the continued support  :thumb:

Edit: Regardless of which layout will be preferred we will produce a custom keycap set to go along with it.

Also I setup a strawpoll so you guys could vote.

http://www.strawpoll.me/11767993
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 November 2016, 11:11:56 by Arhipio »

Offline watsyurdeal

« Reply #205 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 13:40:46 »
Would this work???

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 14:07:11 »
Would this work???

Show Image

Sadly no, the bottom row only supports standard ansi so (1.25u) and the custom arrow key cluster.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 14:38:54 »
Just saw this and am hyped to see a good design with arrows for a 60% :).

Hope a sweet case accompanies this.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 14:47:47 »
Just saw this and am hyped to see a good design with arrows for a 60% :).

Hope a sweet case accompanies this.

Thanks man, what's the update on the XDA samples. I ordered Middle Earth, after wanting Granite Elvish for so long.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #209 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 15:11:28 »
The old layout supports 2.25u/1.75u/2.25u and the new one does not; 2.25u/1.75u/2.25u has the benefit of being able to switch to a 6.25u spacebar without switches being in the way, but I suspect I'm the only person who even wanted that.

That said, I'm in full support of the new layouts.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 15:34:13 »
The old layout supports 2.25u/1.75u/2.25u and the new one does not; 2.25u/1.75u/2.25u has the benefit of being able to switch to a 6.25u spacebar without switches being in the way, but I suspect I'm the only person who even wanted that.

That said, I'm in full support of the new layouts.

Reason why I decided to mess around with it, also the old layout would not allow the 1.25 in between the split spacebars with the arrow key cluster. The old layout supported a splitspacebar only which is similar to this but instead it was two 2.75u with a 1.25u sandwiched in between. And I do remember someone figuring out that 2.25u/1.75u/2.25u was supported, but that was completely on accident. Glad you like the new one, I do too it's much more modular.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 21:21:20 »
I don't plan on joining this group buy, so I'm not voting.  But, the Banana Split is, hand's down, the best non-unique 60% board I have ever seen.  This surpasses the WhiteFox, IMO.  Put this in a skeleton case and I would still prefer it over a Korean custom 60% board.  If I was going to join this group buy, I would vote for the new design.   If you're considering naming your layouts, a la the WhiteFox, would you consider naming one of them the True Banana?  Will this still be able to fit into a universal 60% case?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 22:15:12 »
I don't plan on joining this group buy, so I'm not voting.  But, the Banana Split is, hand's down, the best non-unique 60% board I have ever seen.  This surpasses the WhiteFox, IMO.  Put this in a skeleton case and I would still prefer it over a Korean custom 60% board.  If I was going to join this group buy, I would vote for the new design.   If you're considering naming your layouts, a la the WhiteFox, would you consider naming one of them the True Banana?  Will this still be able to fit into a universal 60% case?

The True Banana, I like it. And yeah the goal of this was a unique splitspacebar/arrow key 60% PCB that will fit all universal 60% cases. Thanks for the compliments means a lot. You can still vote even if you aren't planning on buying one, any support is appreciated.

Offline apaskal

• Pro et Contra gadget reviews
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 10:21:22 »
Nice updated layout  :)
I'm still trying to build hhkb banana with this pcb  :confused:
154252-0
My personal blog —  Pro et Contra gadget reviews!

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #214 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 17:21:03 »
How about Top Banana, but perhaps only Brits will get it?

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #215 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 23:04:17 »

The True Banana, I like it. And yeah the goal of this was a unique splitspacebar/arrow key 60% PCB that will fit all universal 60% cases. Thanks for the compliments means a lot. You can still vote even if you aren't planning on buying one, any support is appreciated.

Voted.  Maybe you should announce the poll in the thread title and put the poll link in the OP to raise awareness of the poll and get more feedback.  Also, I apologize for my inappropriate use of an apostrophe in my previous post.  I have reported my transgression to the NSA and am awaiting transfer to the regional detention center.

Top Banana for the ISO layout sounds appropriate.  One of this keyboard's features is that it presents many opportunities for banana-related puns.  Why not make a sleeve for the Banana Split and call it the Banana Hammock?

Offline ErectedLine

« Reply #216 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 23:06:43 »
I love. All these ideas. I have giggled at every single update.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #217 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 23:07:08 »

Yeah I'll update the post later tonight :D.

Voted.  Maybe you should announce the poll in the thread title and put the poll link in the OP to raise awareness of the poll and get more feedback.  Also, I apologize for my inappropriate use of an apostrophe in my previous post.  I have reported my transgression to the NSA and am awaiting transfer to the regional detention center.

Top Banana for the ISO layout sounds appropriate.  One of this keyboard's features is that it presents many opportunities for banana-related puns.  Why not make a sleeve for the Banana Split and call it the Banana Hammock?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Poll for new Layout
« Reply #218 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 00:35:42 »
Post updated with the poll and the new layout. The results are strongly in favor of the new layout (http://www.strawpoll.me/11767993/r). I'll leave the poll for a couple more days, but with the way things are going I will be taking down the old layouts. I couldn't be happier with the new layout and I am extremely confident in this being our final product.

Offline FioraCorp

• AKA ABC
    • My insta
« Reply #219 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 17:08:59 »
Holy crap that new layout is so nice.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #220 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 00:18:29 »

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #221 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 00:30:13 »
Updated post with new sections that I will periodically fill out with information on the status of the project. New replies will still be posted in conjunction with the original post.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #222 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 14:05:33 »
Updated post with new sections that I will periodically fill out with information on the status of the project. New replies will still be posted in conjunction with the original post.

It's been great to track the progression of this PCB. While the latest version seems to be a big more 'conventional' than some of it's predecessors, I think people will be really happy with it.

I know I personally was a bit skeptical about split space bars until I used a '3 key' split with the middle key as a Fn. Now I want that layout on more of my collection!

With the current options it's possible to use all 4 shift sizes. That means most keysets will be able to provide full coverage without the need to hunt for more shifts! The ability to have all the correct profiles AND full color co-ordination make me want to try that out.

I dub it the 'Full Banana'   :))

Offline gadzkun

Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Updated post with new layout
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 05:35:54 »
will it compatible with common 60% case?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 11:14:40 »

The layout fits standard 60% dimensions which will allow the use of standard 60% cases ie. Poker and TEX.

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 00:05:22 »

The layout fits standard 60% dimensions which will allow the use of standard 60% cases ie. Poker and TEX.

sweeettt~ joining for sure :p

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #226 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 05:49:44 »
Your layout allows in quite similar to the bottom row that I had in mind, which allows to have vim-like arrows.

155049-0

The bottom row that I suggest requires the removal of one screw. But I think that it is not a big deal, since there are 5 screws left.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 December 2016, 05:52:20 by Giorgio »

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #227 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 07:07:44 »
here is my layout.

155059-0
I actually want Fn-Space-Shift, but Space-Fn-Shift works too.  :p

As for keycaps, I guess I need 2.25u Spacebar and 1.75u Fn.
I can just "flip" the 2nd Enter to use as Spacebar, but as for this 1.75u Fn... :(

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #228 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 12:05:20 »
here is my layout.

(Attachment Link)

I can just "flip" the 2nd Enter to use as Spacebar, but as for this 1.75u Fn... :(

No right shift? Someone should take some serious typing lessons.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #229 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 22:55:35 »
here is my layout.

(Attachment Link)

there is, it is after the "Fn" (Space - Fn - Shift)
I don't use my right thumb, so I was thinking of how to make it useful  :p

EDIT: and you're right, I probably have to retrain my typing, as of now it's very sad 60 wpm  :-X
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 December 2016, 23:51:04 by Tom_Kazansky »

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #230 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 21:22:14 »
This is the layout I would build, given the new design.

155217-0

At first, I was skeptical about having two different sized keys for the split space bar, but I aligned a 2.25u, 1.25u, and 2.75u key with the standard space bar on my keyboard and discovered the version 2 layout options actually allow me to make more effective use of my thumbs.

Offline viridius

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 12:50:59 »
I'm potentially interested in a HHKB layout like follows:

155292-0

How difficult would finding a case/plate be?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 12:54:13 »
here is my layout.

(Attachment Link)

there is, it is after the "Fn" (Space - Fn - Shift)
I don't use my right thumb, so I was thinking of how to make it useful  :p

EDIT: and you're right, I probably have to retrain my typing, as of now it's very sad 60 wpm  :-X

I considered a layout with no right shift, once; however, I found it highly inefficient.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #233 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 11:58:15 »
With the holiday season coming up I haven't had too much time to work on the project. At the moment I have a case idea and I am working on the 3d models for it. It will have an aluminum body with an acrylic mid-piece to let the PCB's rgb underglow shine through. Also we scrapped the original design for the keycap set, but we have a brand new one that I will be announcing sometime next week.  :thumb:

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #234 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 19:33:34 »
looking forwads to it   ;D

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #235 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 23:14:17 »
With the holiday season coming up I haven't had too much time to work on the project. At the moment I have a case idea and I am working on the 3d models for it. It will have an aluminum body with an acrylic mid-piece to let the PCB's rgb underglow shine through. Also we scrapped the original design for the keycap set, but we have a brand new one that I will be announcing sometime next week.  :thumb:

I really liked the original Roasted Banana colorway.  I hope it gets made some day.

Offline apaskal

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 01:21:11 »

Let me tell some ideas to make project harder to implement :)
Is it possible to design keyboard case to stand it up on top of 13 inch laptop keyboard and not to press any laptop's keys?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #237 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 01:33:18 »

Is it possible to design keyboard case to stand it up on top of 13 inch laptop keyboard and not to press any laptop's keys?

Pretty sure you can disable the on board keyboard in device manager. Doesn't require a fancy custom case :P

Offline apaskal

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 01:47:20 »

Pretty sure you can disable the on board keyboard in device manager. Doesn't require a fancy custom case :P

Wow! A good idea, I'm stupid  :-[
For Ubuntu you have to use
xinput float
command.

Thank you!  :-*

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #239 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 00:43:34 »
New update announcing the supported key cap set me and Evan have been working on. When making this set I was personally inspired by the fabulous colors of tropical coral and diver culture. We are still running through name ideas like "Deep Dive" and "Swimming with the Fishes". The set will be in DSA and will support all layouts supported by our PCB. Although the image doesn't include ISO atm, those keys will be included (I just wanted to finish the 2D renders and get the post up before going to bed  :) ). The images are rough and they are there to give you an idea of how the set will look like.

2D Renders:

Rough image of extra keys that will be included for HHKB/ISO/ANSI. This was done in KLE I'll work on the vector files some time tomorrow (Posted 12/23).

3D Renders:

I can't wait to hear back from you guys, and like always flood the forum with feedback and suggestions!  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Sat, 24 December 2016, 01:32:49 by Arhipio »

Offline gnmar2723

Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - New supported keycap set news!
« Reply #240 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 00:49:14 »
I know this is probably a long shot by now, but is there any chance of making the shift row have a .25u stagger and a 2u left-shift like the HHKB JP has?
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 December 2016, 00:51:45 by gnmar2723 »

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #241 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 00:57:59 »
I know this is probably a long shot by now, but is there any chance of making the shift row have a .25u stagger and a 2u left-shift like the HHKB JP has?

The layout is final at this point, it's gone through a lot of revisions and I think many and myself included are happy with it's current capabilities.

Offline apaskal

« Reply #242 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 01:05:34 »
Nice colors!
But if there will be no "/?" key then I'm off.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #243 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 01:32:10 »
Nice colors!

Rough image of extra keys that will be included for HHKB/ISO/ANSI. This was done in KLE I'll work on the vector files some time tomorrow. So don't worry everything will be covered :).

Offline apaskal

« Reply #244 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 02:11:15 »

The layout is final at this point, it's gone through a lot of revisions and I think many and myself included are happy with it's current capabilities.

Ok. Let us see PCB image of final layout please :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #245 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 09:50:00 »
Nice colors!

Rough image of extra keys that will be included for HHKB/ISO/ANSI. This was done in KLE I'll work on the vector files some time tomorrow. So don't worry everything will be covered :) .
Show Image

The set is missing a 1.5u Backspace or Delete key to cover the required keys for the HHKB layout.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #246 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 12:49:38 »
Nice colors!

Rough image of extra keys that will be included for HHKB/ISO/ANSI. This was done in KLE I'll work on the vector files some time tomorrow. So don't worry everything will be covered :) .
Show Image

The set is missing a 1.5u Backspace or Delete key to cover the required keys for the HHKB layout.

Oh yeah I'll add that in later today, I just want to get a feel of what people think of the set as a whole (color scheme, novelties).

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #247 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 13:56:28 »
Here's what will be included with the entire keycap set. There will be no additional kits all of these caps will be together as the base kit. It will have support for standard ANSI and ISO as well as support for all the new unique layouts.

Updated post with the new 2D render.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #248 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 14:18:50 »
Will there be an international kit?
Winter is coming.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #249 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 14:44:23 »
Will there be an international kit?

Probably not, we want to keep costs down and honestly the only reason we are offering ISO is because we want to cover every layout the board has. Legends might not be exactly what you want, but you'll have caps that'll cover a board.

Edit: If the set were ever produced on it's own in TKL fashion, International would probably be included as an additional kit, as this set is designed to accommodate the specific PCB we are sticking to the bare minimum to make it affordable.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 December 2016, 14:46:02 by Arhipio »