Author Topic: First Impressions: Team Wolf Zhuque "CIY" Hot Swappable keyboard  (Read 4630 times)

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Hello everyone!

I just got this keyboard in the mail today and have been using it since early this morning. I thought you may all be interested to see my thoughts on it.

Build Quality

Keyboard is built surprisingly well. It's quite heavy and dense with very little flex and no creaking. The top plate is aluminum and painted with a "champagne" color. It nearly weighs as much as a Quickfire Rapid.

Keycaps

The keycaps are a mixed bag. They are very thin and use a quite gaudy font, but the backlighting shines through them well and they are doubleshot. They have a really nice texture but this probably wont last being cheap ABS.

Switches

I received the version of this keyboard with Red Outemu switches. You can also get this keyboard with black, brown, and blue switches.

I was disappointed by these switches. They are not really any smoother than normal MX Reds contrary to what I have heard about other Outemu switches. I have tried blue Outemu's in the past and was impressed by their smoothness compared to MX Blues. They are also somewhat stiffer than MX Reds. If you like MX Reds or MX Blacks you'll probably like these but don't expect Gateron smoothness.

Backlighting

This is the first backlit keyboard I have ever used so I don't have much to compare it to The backlighting is only per row and there are only a few basic effects/modes, about what you'd expect on a keyboard of this price range. It does not seem especially bright nor especially dim. I like it and actually find myself using more than not.

Some of the secondary legends on the function keys (calculator, volume, etc) are not backlit and appear to simply be laser-etched onto the keycap which can make them hard to read in dim lighting, even with the bright glow of my 27" monitor in front of it.

Switch swapping feature

This was the main draw of the keyboard for me. I bought this keyboard open-box so whoever owned it before me took the liberty of removing all of the accessories including the special switch-puller tool so I have had to carefully remove the switches with a butter knife. I'll have to buy the tool separately, if I had known this would have been like this I would have just spent a few dollars more on a brand new one.

Otherwise, the switches are very easy to install and it has worked with all of the switches I've tried (MX Blues, Kailh Red, MX Clears). The keyboard is SMD backlit but it seems that non-smd switches will work fine but may sit a little higher up and the light won't shine through them as well. I plan to buy some Gateron housings and swap my ergo-clears into them.

This keyboard also uses the same technology as the Glorious Modular keyboards from what I have researched. If I'm remembering right they said each switch-slot is good for around (70?) swaps.
Features

There are some basic hotkeys under a fn layer such as volume controls, calculators, and an email app opener.

There is also one really puzzling feature. If you press FN+W it locks the W key. What in the hell is the point of this? Unless you only want to play games walking backwards or write a spin-off of Gadsby.

Overall for the price I'm very happy. It's a bit ugly out of the box but it works great and is well built, especially for the price. I think this keyboard would be excellent for someone who wants a relatively cheap and easy way to make a board with more exotic switches like Zealios and MOD switches. Or if you're just lazy or bad at soldering like me.

Offline falkentyne

Re: First Impressions: Team Wolf Zhuque "CIY" Hot Swappable keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 10:12:50 »
There should be a firmware update for this.   Google teamwolf firmware.  There's a separate one for the RGB full size version, which I own.  I put Gateron greens in mine.  My problem with the Outemu blues is that they don't behave like cherry blues, rather they behave like *Cherry Browns*, but with a click slider instead of a bump.  And this, although rarely, caused me to drop inputs when trying to type very lightly. (Outemu blues= electrical activation is just PAST the end of the slider bump click point, from neutral depress.  Cherry blues= electrical activation goes THROUGH the click sider on neutral depress (you can still release and reactivate the electrical circuit on both switches without releasing the click slider; Gaterons behave identically to Cherries).

*edit*

https://www.dropbox.com/s/83m7li016jd6c4x/X05%20X02S%20X06S%20Update%20Firmware.rar?dl=0

the latest rgb full size firmware was sent to me directly by teamwolf, this one isn't for that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 March 2017, 10:14:48 by falkentyne »

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 10:48:20 »
I can't even find their website. I tend to make it a habit to not deal with companies that I cannot find, but this is interesting. Is the firmware customizable like ps2avrGB?

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 12:39:05 »
Firmware is elementary at best.  RGB has extremely basic options like setting 1 of 7 direct colors with no independent per key brightness control (only global brightness) and direction and speed of built in effects (animations are basic and non smooth), and macro, repeat, delay options, etc.  Customization mode for setting independent keys 1 of 7 colors, etc.  I assume the Zhuque is similar without the RGB 7 colors.

This board was a good board to get for hotswapping for like a year.   But I would look at the RGB Glorious Modular board now if I wanted RGB of any semi-decent quality plus hotswapping.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 02:12:20 »
I found the firmware update for my Zhuque just by googling "Team Wolf Zhuque Firmware". They (Team Wolf) posted a download link to the firmware on their Facebook page.

Yes, the backlighting on the Zhuque is limited per row. I don't mind cause I didn't really buy this keyboard for the backlight. At the moment I'm using the lighting mode that illuminates a key when it is pressed. The other lighting effects seem pretty smooth except for the "wave" mode which looks quite choppy at full brightness.

The Glorious is definitely a better choice if you want RGB but they don't offer a TKL option at the moment and the Zhuque is much cheaper than even Glorious's non-rgb version. I am not sure of the build quality on Glorious's keyboards but I would assume that it is quite similar to the Team Wolf.