Author Topic: The Switch 180 Custom Keyboard  (Read 38446 times)

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
Re: The Switch 180 Custom Keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 23:13:41 »
Alright, so I have finished touching up the PCB, had some stuff to do irl but got some time to do a bit more.

I'm am now looking at pricing and wondering on some input from interested parties on price and what would you think is fair for a pcb.

I am looking into pre-assembly with smd components but that would drive up the price quite a bit, the other option I've looked into doing the SMD by ordering solder paste stencil and hot air rework station (at my own cost) which I feel like that's something I may be able to do for this as there is no "micro" smd the smallest smd is 0805 sized,  I am fairly confident in my soldering experience and I've been watching lots of videos and using a solderpaste stencil seems really quite easy and I can order one with the pcbs

So let you know what you think, I also wanna make it clear no matter what if you want one I wouldn't ask for any money upfront until I have a working product. Just want to hear your opinion if having the smd done by the factory a must for you guys or if you'd trust me to do it.
what parts would you be soldering? I can do most on my own barring the mcu, but if the cost is minimal (ie sub 15$) for that to be done at factory then I would prefer that route 
I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I'm good at it

Offline Trente

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 01:43:14 »
This sounds very interesting, definitely checking the details out later

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 17:20:07 »
what's the price on unsoldered vs presoldered, approximately? 
keyboards.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 07:59:19 »
Very neat idea kiwi. I've always liked the 1800 look but been holding on all the boards because I wanted some thing smol, so this might be perfect. Keep up the good work  :thumb:

Maybe add a HHKB-style bottom row like the Duck Black Bird?
seems the general consensus is more bottom row support so this weekend I'll look into the best way to implement multiple bottom row support.
very much possible to add a bottom row that supports hhkb style, just might not be 6u (not sure what the blackbird has).  I'll try to find something that doesn't look odd.

This sounds like a very cool idea. Can't really pull the trigger on any board because I don't use the leftmost bottom key anymore. I'd definitely be down to own a board like that.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 14:40:16 »

approximately it was looking like around $30ish vs $50+ for the small quantity I was ordering. So as of yesterday I have made an order for bare pcbs and a stencil.. When I get them in hand I am going to assemble one and test to see how it goes.

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 15:15:47 »

approximately it was looking like around $30ish vs $50+ for the small quantity I was ordering. So as of yesterday I have made an order for bare pcbs and a stencil.. When I get them in hand I am going to assemble one and test to see how it goes.

Can't wait for this

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 08:59:15 »
Ok $50 isn't bad though. Seems like you would have to a lot of work to offer a small savings and these would definitely sell at $50. Even $30 and self soldering diodes is totally fine. My thought would be offer it bare for $30 or pre soldered for $50 and save yourself the effort. I think your time would be better spent lining up plates/cases, even if it's a simple acrylic case!
keyboards.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 12:13:02 »
Ok $50 isn't bad though. Seems like you would have to a lot of work to offer a small savings and these would definitely sell at $50. Even $30 and self soldering diodes is totally fine. My thought would be offer it bare for $30 or pre soldered for $50 and save yourself the effort. I think your time would be better spent lining up plates/cases, even if it's a simple acrylic case!

Thanks for the support  :thumb: I am just in the final stretch of classes and also in the middle of preparing to move 4000km so I had to sell my case and some other stuff to prepare. I am putting this aside for the next 2 weeks and will pick it back up once I get all moved  :confused: Acrylic sandwich case will be really fast to get the files put together and then I am working on a new "solid body" case design as well.

original concept with a lip inspired by older cherry cases but there is some things I don't like about this iteration so I decided I wanted to try the look of something more "modern" :

This was a second version, but ultimately I find this way too boring so I am going to scrap them both and I think end up somewhere between the two.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 12:40:52 »
I like the second one. Big fan of simple and clean :)
keyboards.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 13:49:53 »

Thanks for the support  :thumb: I am just in the final stretch of classes and also in the middle of preparing to move 4000km so I had to sell my case and some other stuff to prepare. I am putting this aside for the next 2 weeks and will pick it back up once I get all moved  :confused: Acrylic sandwich case will be really fast to get the files put together and then I am working on a new "solid body" case design as well.

Show Image

original concept with a lip inspired by older cherry cases but there is some things I don't like about this iteration so I decided I wanted to try the look of something more "modern" :

Show Image

This was a second version, but ultimately I find this way too boring so I am going to scrap them both and I think end up somewhere between the two.

Sounds like that would give the meme board quite a spicy price...  ^-^

GL with the move.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 14:08:08 »

Show Image

Show Image

Seeing the renders make me want this more. Have you thought about the hhkb version or that's not happening?

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 15:22:20 »
I really like this layout, excellent work sir

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 01:07:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

I like the second version, simple and boring but works everytime, plus it goes well with the smaller 1800 form factor. I wasn't a fan of the original concept because the lip edges look too sharp.

Nevertheless will definitely be looking for what you come up with next, amazing work so far  :thumb:

Offline ineph

• nostalgic procrastinator
  • Do you know the Venus Project??
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 07:19:30 »
Will be worldwide shipped?

Bla bla bla Stealthbla bla Blue

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 15:22:31 »
PCBs due to arrive the 16th back in BC, I fly back on the 19th   :eek:

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 12:19:46 »

:thinking: wut dis?

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 19:58:50 »
Show Image

:thinking: wut dis?

is doge board

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 20:29:04 »

I just had to see what it would look like working.

Waiting for the smd components to arrive, solder paste is here so it's the last thing I need to build up a prototype

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 22:47:55 »
Show Image

Waiting for the smd components to arrive, solder paste is here so it's the last thing I need to build up a prototype

That's ****ing awesome kiwi

Offline Delirious

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 23:02:49 »
This looks ridiculous.

I'm in

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 01:32:40 »
Show Image

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 13:37:35 »
Show Image

oink oink

..maybe it's just the red (magenta?) lights making it look pink lol... but that nose

Offline Chief Clukey

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 06:10:45 »
This is quite an interesting concept and layout. Oddly enough, I really like it. Keep updating the post! I would love to see how this project goes! Best of luck!

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 18:20:59 »
Hey there, just a quick update for anyone following!

SMD Components in hand, PCBs in hand, Solder paste in hand, only a few things holding me back from making a test unit.

1. Since this is my first pcb I made the mistake of not including component labels on the pcbs silkscreen so I am not sure which capacitors go where and such. This wouldn't be an issue usually but my PC with all the files is currently missing a power supply so that is on order now and I should receive this week.

2. I tried hand soldering my own boards mcu and it wasn't the greatest success, 3 of the 4 sides were fine but I must have had the chip slightly off angled so its sort of messed up, luckily I have a hot air rework station on the way so I should be able to correct my mistake.

Also, I forgot to order a bulk order of diodes from mouser so I will have to order those, I have enough for a test unit but I will place an order for a few thousand diodes.

Lastly, some of you may follow me or switchnollies instagrams so you may have seen but for you who don't I have an album of a few glamour pics of the PCBs.

http://imgur.com/a/cD0WX

-Kiwi

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 21:58:27 »

SMD Components in hand, PCBs in hand, Solder paste in hand, only a few things holding me back from making a test unit.

1. Since this is my first pcb I made the mistake of not including component labels on the pcbs silkscreen so I am not sure which capacitors go where and such. This wouldn't be an issue usually but my PC with all the files is currently missing a power supply so that is on order now and I should receive this week.

2. I tried hand soldering my own boards mcu and it wasn't the greatest success, 3 of the 4 sides were fine but I must have had the chip slightly off angled so its sort of messed up, luckily I have a hot air rework station on the way so I should be able to correct my mistake.

Also, I forgot to order a bulk order of diodes from mouser so I will have to order those, I have enough for a test unit but I will place an order for a few thousand diodes.

Lastly, some of you may follow me or switchnollies instagrams so you may have seen but for you who don't I have an album of a few glamour pics of the PCBs.

-Kiwi

That's looking so nice, can't wait to see this built up!

Are you planning on checking in to the cost of getting them assembled when/if you run a GB or are you set on assembling them all yourself?
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 13:17:55 »

-Kiwi

That's looking so nice, can't wait to see this built up!

Are you planning on checking in to the cost of getting them assembled when/if you run a GB or are you set on assembling them all yourself?

I am looking into having components presoldered if I run a bigger buy yes I definitely will be looking at presoldered components but at this time I am just waiting patiently for my hot air station to see how well its going to go.

Offline HeroXLazer

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 20:43:00 »
CircuitHub is supposed to be pretty nice.

Offline Demo

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 00:49:34 »
Really amazing work, couldn't even imagine trying to do something like this.

Offline ectoplasmatic

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 15:39:01 »
I can't believe I just discovered this!!! So amazing. I'm definitely in on a PCB, and excited to see what you come up with in terms of case. If I did get my hands on a PCB I'd be tempted to do a custom all clear acrylic case to show off that PCB. Great work!

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 16:19:53 »
Ok have a few minutes to do another update.

I had the time to do the SMD components on a board and unfortunately when I plug it in to do the initial flashing I get nothing..  :(  I don't have my main PC up and running yet so I don't have full access to all my files still.  I am hoping this week I can get my PC up and running and do some troubleshooting with the help of some people. Right now I am really hoping its just my soldering maybe or something silly that can be fixed, but my soldering looks pretty good so I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst which is there is a flaw in the design making all the pcbs useless. 

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 02:48:08 »
Ok have a few minutes to do another update.

I had the time to do the SMD components on a board and unfortunately when I plug it in to do the initial flashing I get nothing..  :(  I don't have my main PC up and running yet so I don't have full access to all my files still.  I am hoping this week I can get my PC up and running and do some troubleshooting with the help of some people. Right now I am really hoping its just my soldering maybe or something silly that can be fixed, but my soldering looks pretty good so I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst which is there is a flaw in the design making all the pcbs useless.

Sent you a pm about trouble shooting.  :thumb:
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline steinerlein

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 15:37:20 »
this project looks awesome! I am using a 1800 myself atm and this is a cool variation of it.

Concerning your last post: All the best! I always try and isolate everything for testing.. as in power, communication lines etc.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 19:31:25 »
Awesome board kiwi88 :thumb:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 19:54:38 »
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline odd

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 22:18:27 »

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 23:10:55 »
Put an update in the OP  :(, these pcbs seem to not work  :confused: back to the drawing board..

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 23:56:30 »

Alright, my lifes getting into a rhythm again where I'll try to dedicate time to this project.

Have found and addressed the main issue with the PCB, Going to see if I can get a single prototype made once I finalizing it before doing a bigger order.

Sandwich case design was finished to test the layout and pcb in the real world.

this is an early render of a case design that I think will be very similar to what I want for the final product (pretty much a mini g80-1800) 

Lots of POLISH and features to still work on the case, going to try some other random ideas.

Right now the top style will stay quite similar.

Switch
1 8 0  2  0 1 8

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 05:58:52 »
Show Image

Alright, my lifes getting into a rhythm again where I'll try to dedicate time to this project.

Have found and addressed the main issue with the PCB, Going to see if I can get a single prototype made once I finalizing it before doing a bigger order.

this is an early render of a case design that I think will be very similar to what I want for the final product (pretty much a mini g80-1800) 

Lots of POLISH and features to still work on the case, going to try some other random ideas.

Switch
1 8 0  2  0 1 8

Lol, forgot about this project. But damn, it's nice to you getting back to it. Truly looks like a mini g80-1800 but this is a size I could get behind.

How's the "sandwich" proto doing - is the layout comfortable and all?

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 06:22:07 »
Yeeeeeee.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 08:27:23 »
Forgot about this as well, but that case negates a major reason I like compact boards.. they're small. Too much bezel for me.
keyboards.

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 11:17:36 »
Hype rekindling  ^-^

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 11:31:31 »
How's the "sandwich" proto doing - is the layout comfortable and all?

The PCB didn't work so it was not tested :llama:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 18:23:42 »
Would be really interested in trying out that layout. Awesome to see smaller keyboards with 7u spacebars. Great work!
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 19:26:53 »
just saw this, i like the layout

the crystal is wayyy too far from the MCU, and it uses vias.. definitely not ideal, but it'll probably still work fine

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 21:13:59 »
just saw this, i like the layout

the crystal is wayyy too far from the MCU, and it uses vias.. definitely not ideal, but it'll probably still work fine

the pcb designs in this post are a bit outdated, there was also an issue with the crystal pinout in the library I used resulting in it not even working lol

with some help it ended up a lot closer and no vias.. but the PCB is going to be pretty much completely redone soon hopefully.

« Last Edit: Sat, 27 January 2018, 21:16:19 by kiwi99 »

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 06:26:39 »
Show Image

Switch
1 8 0  2  0 1 8

:cool:

Offline odd

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 14:20:12 »
Can I get a board this round? I can do all my own SMD soldering and i would be willing to help test the PCB and design.  :thumb:

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 22:19:24 »
Small update

with the help of ai03 the pcb has been updated with some QoL changes. Silkscreen being redone by me right now as well.

Case is being worked on just have to come up with a new solution for the USB cutout.  Might have to use a daughter board of some sort.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 March 2018, 22:20:55 by kiwi99 »

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 23:20:10 »
Small update

Show Image

with the help of ai03 the pcb has been updated with some QoL changes. Silkscreen being redone by me right now as well.

Case is being worked on just have to come up with a new solution for the USB cutout.  Might have to use a daughter board of some sort.

hype!

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 00:01:36 »
Looking neat  :thumb: