Author Topic: GSX96 on TaoBao - Anyone want to help me decipher?  (Read 55474 times)

Offline Ouhei

Re: GSX96 on TaoBao - Anyone want to help me decipher?
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 08:43:37 »
Well, gang, UPS is telling me that my order is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'm skeptical, because last time I used UPS as a reshipped for Taobao, they told me that and I didn't actually get the item until a couple of days later.  But, I should have mine by Thursday at the latest, I think.

Edit: I looked at my previous shipments again. Some took longer than 3 days. So it's possible I won't see this till late this week or maybe even after this weekend. It will only be one day from the time customs releases it, but that could take some time.
Now it's in LAX clearance. If that doesn't take too long I should have it on Friday.
Same. Except mine's in NYC, lol.

Offline t-g-l-h-

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 10:44:02 »
hey gang, sorry if this is super ignorant or already answered, but will i need PCB or plate mounted switches for this? And what stabilizers will I need? This is my first DIY build. Thank you for your help.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 10:55:53 »
From the pictures it looks like it supports both so I would just get PCB mount and if it doesn't you can just worst case clip them.

You'll need PCB mounted stabilizers (I don't think it supports plate) and I think it only supports a 6.25 spacebar
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 11:08:36 »
Woohoo mine was shipped today and it's en route to taobao cargo warehouse.
keyboards.

Offline lazermajor

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 12:19:39 »
From the pictures it looks like it supports both so I would just get PCB mount and if it doesn't you can just worst case clip them.

You'll need PCB mounted stabilizers (I don't think it supports plate) and I think it only supports a 6.25 spacebar

Are you sure it only takes PCB stabs? I ordered Plate mounted costars...

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 12:38:15 »

I definitely don't think it supports Costar stabs, most things don't unless explicitly stated, they require different cutouts than Cherry.

It MIGHT support Plate mounted Cherry Stabs on some of the keys, but I don't know how it would work w/ the Enter since it is universal to allow ISO. Someone else can probably clear this up.

I know for certain it supports PCB mounted cherry stabs.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 May 2017, 12:44:57 by schoolbus »

Offline lazermajor

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 07:20:43 »

I definitely don't think it supports Costar stabs, most things don't unless explicitly stated, they require different cutouts than Cherry.

It MIGHT support Plate mounted Cherry Stabs on some of the keys, but I don't know how it would work w/ the Enter since it is universal to allow ISO. Someone else can probably clear this up.

I know for certain it supports PCB mounted cherry stabs.

Well TIL thanks!

Someone previously said " it says all you need to buy is switches, stabilizers, and in-switch LEDs." does this mean it comes with diodes and resistors already soldered on? I don't know if you can tell from the pictures.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 08:11:59 »

Well TIL thanks!

Someone previously said " it says all you need to buy is switches, stabilizers, and in-switch LEDs." does this mean it comes with diodes and resistors already soldered on? I don't know if you can tell from the pictures.

There's one fuzzy picture in the listing that shows diodes and resistors pre-soldered.  You're good to go!
keyboards.

Offline lazermajor

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 10:50:34 »

Well TIL thanks!

There's one fuzzy picture in the listing that shows diodes and resistors pre-soldered.  You're good to go!

Cheers, this is turning out to be an even better deal than i thought. The RGB lights on the bottom, now the diodes and resistors, i thought we were getting an empty PCB!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 10:48:19 »
Mine was accepted into taobao cargo and is waiting for me to pay international shipping.  :p I'll wait until I'm home so I can use Google translate heh
keyboards.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 10:22:51 »
I'll have some extras on mehkee.com - I helped him hit his MOQ and some suggestions.

It won't be a crazy markup, just a slight margin to recover on held money for 2 months but shipping costs to here are going to hurt badly.

I jumped in on your Kailh Speed pre-order; would be awesome if you're going to have a few of these kits as well in order to use the Kailhs on.  ;)  Any details on color(s) you're going to put up?  I'll keep a watchful eye on your site!

Hoping for some  of these kits to show up for people.
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 10:30:19 »
Mine's still in NYC Clearance, so hopefully it clears early this week!

Offline moonmaster

• big bumps, beautiful boards
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 11:29:53 »
Mine's still in NYC Clearance, so hopefully it clears early this week!
Same for me. Still in customs (though LAX)

Offline t-g-l-h-

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 18:56:38 »
Mine came in today. Popping in switches to the plate currently. One part of the plate, bottom right, where a screw goes in, is a little deformed. Hopefully it doesn't affect anything.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 19:42:01 »
Should be getting mine tomorrow.

I'll post anything significant or answer any questions about the kit. Might build this weekend or not for a while, haven't decided.

Offline greenbox

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 03:30:55 »
I just received mine today.  So excited to actually build my first keyboard.

Now I just need to order the switches and find out how to actually solder and install the program :o

Offline nya

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 04:12:53 »
So much work.  :confused:

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 07:36:48 »
Awesome that they're starting to come in for people! Mine shows "[Overseas] SecaucusTransferred Through Transit Point" as it's latest update so it's through customs at this point, hopefully I have it by the end of the week.

I'm just relieved that they're real and I didn't inadvertently sucker a bunch of you into some scam, lol.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 08:35:48 »
Awesome that they're starting to come in for people! Mine shows "[Overseas] SecaucusTransferred Through Transit Point" as it's latest update so it's through customs at this point, hopefully I have it by the end of the week.

I'm just relieved that they're real and I didn't inadvertently sucker a bunch of you into some scam, lol.

Unless we find out the PCB's don't work properly or some other major underlying issue I think this GB has been an above average home-run. The price was outrageously good (Look at it compared to "Welfare96"- That ends up being the same price or more expensive and it's not even aluminum + it was limited) and the turn-around was 6 sigma above literally any other group buy ever including the what, 2 week delay?

Just based on the photo above it looks pretty slick.

Woo!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 08:47:33 »
Mine just shipped from taobao cargo. Fit and finish on that case isn't top notch, but absolutely looks to be an excellent deal for what we all paid. I also got titanium gray, and the color looks awesome.
keyboards.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 08:51:10 »
Looks awesome!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 08:58:37 »
I'm putting 78g zealios on mine, then some temp caps while I wait who knows how long for gmk solarized dark  :cool:
keyboards.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 09:41:58 »
Mine just shipped from taobao cargo. Fit and finish on that case isn't top notch, but absolutely looks to be an excellent deal for what we all paid. I also got titanium gray, and the color looks awesome.
The only issue I really see is that the diffusor looks like it might not sit perfectly flush with the case, other than that it looks great in the pictures. That could be an issue with everything not being screwed in place too?

Unless we find out the PCB's don't work properly or some other major underlying issue I think this GB has been an above average home-run. The price was outrageously good (Look at it compared to "Welfare96"- That ends up being the same price or more expensive and it's not even aluminum + it was limited) and the turn-around was 6 sigma above literally any other group buy ever including the what, 2 week delay?

Woo!
Here's hoping!

I think I'm going to do 67g Zealios, does anyone know what stabilizer sizes we need?

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 09:50:35 »

Woo!

There was actually a relatively high defect rate of PCBs from the manufacturer which is why there was a slight delay for testing all the PCBs.

We let the individual orders get filled first before my larger group order so I ended up not getting nearly half of the boards I purchased... On the positive side, everyone should be getting their boards soon and the GB runner will have a better idea of production numbers and failure rate to meet the total orders next time (if there is a next time..though I'm pushing for a R2!).

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 09:55:09 »
There was actually a relatively high defect rate of PCBs from the manufacturer which is why there was a slight delay for testing all the PCBs.

We let the individual orders get filled first before my larger group order so I ended up not getting nearly half of the boards I purchased... On the positive side, everyone should be getting their boards soon and the GB runner will have a better idea of production numbers and failure rate to meet the total orders next time (if there is a next time..though I'm pushing for a R2!).

Good to know.  It's impressive the seller went through all the trouble too; speaks volumes on his meddle. 

In the meantime, I'm basically camped out on your site now pounding F5 to see what you put up.  :D

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 11:19:22 »
The only issue I really see is that the diffusor looks like it might not sit perfectly flush with the case, other than that it looks great in the pictures. That could be an issue with everything not being screwed in place too?

Yes, the diffuser fitment looks a bit off and I also see a horizontal line in the anodization about one third down the side of the case. However, neither of those issues bother me whatsoever at this price point.
keyboards.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 16:32:57 »
Got my kit, everything seems in order.

The "mystery" bag is just a nameplate for the bottom.

Can't seem to get all the RGB underglow lights to work properly but I didn't try screwing with bootmapper client too much.

Keys I tested appeared to work fine. I'll post more when I build.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 06:39:31 »
Mine's out for delivery today! I'll post up pics tonight.

Offline lazermajor

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 07:04:05 »
Mine has arrived at Bhiner and is now on its way to me, 3-7 working days with DHL. Can't wait, this is my first build!

Edit: I also ordered this set of DSA Carbon Keycaps to go with it.

Not Genuine but they don't look too shabby, heres a link to the taobao page.
https://world.taobao.com/item/545167829275.htm?fromSite=main
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 11:23:00 by lazermajor »

Offline t-g-l-h-

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 08:36:15 »
this is also my first build. seems to be several peoples'. glad im not alone haha

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 15:08:36 »

Now I just need to order the switches and find out how to actually solder and install the program :o

Cool, it's got the SMD LEDs (or at least pads for them) for caps lock just like their version of the b.fake PCB does.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 16:17:03 »
Great, mine shows delivered in TaoBao, but it's not here. I'm not sure what to do from here...

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 16:45:22 »
Is your shipping address listed correctly at the bottom of that tracking page.  Should be the last line under [Overseas section transport]
keyboards.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 17:00:00 »
Is your shipping address listed correctly at the bottom of that tracking page.  Should be the last line under [Overseas section transport]
as far as I can tell it is, yeah.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 17:17:13 »
So in the bottom right corner of the tracking window for me, it says (translated) "More information for the original courier companies, information after optimization To view , please click".  If I click that while the page is not translated (won't work when translated), it takes me to the original "un-optimized" tracking info, which when translated to english, is actually much more descriptive.  Maybe try that and see if it gives any different info.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 17:19:57 by tameone »
keyboards.

Offline greenbox

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 17:26:17 »
You should try using the couriers tracking site instead to show whereabouts it is. For me it was DHL and I used the 2nd waybill #  I think in your case you will have to go to good into-ups

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 17:30:24 »
edit:  The shipper is JCEX, and it was transferred to UPS

Here's the UPS tracking #1Z22W0610393750219

Says left at front door.  best of luck.

« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 17:34:17 by tameone »
keyboards.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 17:54:52 »

Appreciate the help, I was having a hard time getting to the UPS tracking #!

They must have come while I was a the gym because it wasn't there when I got home from work but was after the gym...I hate when tracking sasy delivered hours before it's actually delivered.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 18:16:27 »

Appreciate the help, I was having a hard time getting to the UPS tracking #!

They must have come while I was a the gym because it wasn't there when I got home from work but was after the gym...I hate when tracking sasy delivered hours before it's actually delivered.

Glad you got it!

Offline greenbox

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 18:31:25 »
Mine has arrived at Bhiner and is now on its way to me, 3-7 working days with DHL. Can't wait, this is my first build!
Show Image

Show Image

Damn those look quite nice. Was that also through bhiner and how long did it take ?

Offline lazermajor

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 07:01:36 »
Show Image

Show Image

Damn those look quite nice. Was that also through bhiner and how long did it take ?

Yeh i used bhiner. It only took a few days for it to arrive at bhiner, but its been waiting in their warehouse a couple months while they wait for the GSX96 to arrive. They are both being sent together to save on shipping.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 09:13:39 »
Got a chance to look over the kit a bit last night and I'm really happy with the quality so far, some thoughts:

- The case is heavier/thicker than I thought it would be, I love the weight of it and how solid it feels
- I too have the line going across the sides, looks like this is from the milling process, it's barely noticeable unless you're looking for it though
- The acrylic inserts aren't perfect, but when you look at it overall they look fine, not worried about it.
- The nameplate is interesting, I don't think mine has a way to actually attach it to the case? I thought there'd be adhesive on the back but I'm not finding anything to peel off. I'll probably just leave it off.
- I'm not the biggest fan of the feed design but they're not bad and they're not visible once they're on anyways. I'm going to get some rubber/silicon sticky feet to put on the bottom edge of the case as well.

Now I just gotta order switches, stabilizers and a soldering gun...lol

Pictures of mine:

Edit: where are you guys buying your stabilizers? I'm having a hard time finding a good place that lets me buy individual 2x ones since we need 5 and all the "sets" I'm finding come with 4. Would prefer clear ones but black works.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 June 2017, 14:06:53 by Ouhei »

Offline t-g-l-h-

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 17:55:09 »
i got stabilizers on flashquark.com. met the guy on reddit and he was a super helpful dude (even told me what i needed for this kit when i showed him a pic). he deserves your $$$

Offline moonmaster

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 18:46:41 »
Got a chance to look over the kit a bit last night and I'm really happy with the quality so far, some thoughts:

- The case is heavier/thicker than I thought it would be, I love the weight of it and how solid it feels
- I too have the line going across the sides, looks like this is from the milling process, it's barely noticeable unless you're looking for it though
- The acrylic inserts aren't perfect, but when you look at it overall they look fine, not worried about it.
- The nameplate is interesting, I don't think mine has a way to actually attach it to the case? I thought there'd be adhesive on the back but I'm not finding anything to peel off. I'll probably just leave it off.
- I'm not the biggest fan of the feed design but they're not bad and they're not visible once they're on anyways. I'm going to get some rubber/silicon sticky feet to put on the bottom edge of the case as well.

Now I just gotta order switches, stabilizers and a soldering gun...lol

Pictures of mine:
Show Image

Show Image

Edit: where are you guys buying your stabilizers? I'm having a hard time finding a good place that lets me buy individual 2x ones since we need 5 and all the "sets" I'm finding come with 4. Would prefer clear ones but black works.
Switchtop.com.  Super reliable, super quick to ship, good prices, has 2u in Stock.

Offline Woovie

« Reply #144 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 04:33:31 »
Extremely disappointed I missed out on this initial group buy, the 96 key layout is my dream keyboard. Here's hoping for round 2 :thumb:

Offline boardinbum

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 09:54:34 »
Im on the Welfare96 GB. Way better case on this buy. Hope to get one of these nice cases. If anyone wants to trade for the acrylic case let me know. I heard a new revision to the pcb is in the works too.

Offline moonmaster

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 20:53:52 »
Cyan looks great with GMK Skeletor!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 23:43:28 »
Nice. No issues with the build?
keyboards.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #148 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 00:27:05 »
Show Image

Lookin' real good, man!
**** I'm so bummed I missed out on skeletor. :D

Offline lazermajor

« Reply #149 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 15:30:50 »
Show Image

Looks friggin awesome! have you got a pic with the keycaps off? I'm just curious about how that bottom row layout works on the PCB