Author Topic: [IC] SP-SA Carbon Round 2  (Read 138889 times)

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
Re: [IC] SP-SA Carbon Round 2
« Reply #350 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:20:22 »
Would it be a bad idea to ask Valve in this case?

http://www.fonts2u.com/halflife2.font

https://twitter.com/gregcoomer?lang=en

I would not even try. Usually big companies are very aggresive about their IPs. See vault keys or other tries to make some close to game keys.

You can do such thing on small runs (private GB) but in a big scale run like Carbon round 2 its going to be risky.

Offline zslane

« Reply #351 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:24:02 »
Bear in mind that the Valve lambda icon for Half-Life is a trademark, which in the US follows very different rules than for copyright.

T0mb3ry can't use a serif lambda inside a circle without potentially drawing the attention of Valve's legal team. If that were to happen, a C&D (cease and desist) letter would be sent as a warning shot across the bow. If that didn't stop the use of the logo, then a lawsuit would be the next step. In effect, all the Half-Life-like lambda icons that have appeared on keycaps so far have gotten away with it by simply flying under Valve's radar. And it doesn't matter if you redraw the logo yourself. If it looks like you are trying to recreate a trademark you don't own, then you are in violation.

Copying an icon that isn't a trademark is another matter. So, for instance, the "hexagon  patch" on some of the Carbon novelty keys are not trademarks. They would fall under the category of copyright, except that digital art is still a new frontier because it is unclear what constitutes the original work. Is it a particular .SVG file? Or is the idea of arranging hexagons in that particular pattern? US copyright law does not protect ideas, so lawyers have to work overtime to convince a judge that a specific work of art was illegally copied in such cases. And many such cases do not hold up in the US because courts don't like gray areas.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #352 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:27:42 »
Makes sense. I guess it's not the end of the world. Still not a fan of triangular ones. What do you think about just adding some sciency greek letters in a "nice" font αβγδλω? Lower-case but upper-case sized. In that case Carbon would give a 'dangerous applied science' kind of vibe.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #353 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:28:50 »
Bear in mind that the Valve lambda icon for Half-Life is a trademark, which in the US follows very different rules than for copyright.

T0mb3ry can't use a serif lambda inside a circle without potentially drawing the attention of Valve's legal team. If that were to happen, a C&D (cease and desist) letter would be sent as a warning shot across the bow. If that didn't stop the use of the logo, then a lawsuit would be the next step. In effect, all the Half-Life-like lambda icons that have appeared on keycaps so far have gotten away with it by simply flying under Valve's radar. And it doesn't matter if you redraw the logo yourself. If it looks like you are trying to recreate a trademark you don't own, then you are in violation.

Copying an icon that isn't a trademark is another matter. So, for instance, the "hexagon  patch" on some of the Carbon novelty keys are not trademarks. They would fall under the category of copyright, except that digital art is still a new frontier because it is unclear what constitutes the original work. Is it a particular .SVG file? Or is the idea of arranging hexagons in that particular pattern? US copyright law does not protect ideas, so lawyers have to work overtime to convince a judge that a specific work of art was illegally copied in such cases. And many such cases do not hold up in the US because courts don't like gray areas.

There is far more to this. You want to know exactly? You better study law. And even that will not help really.  :))
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:34:02 by T0mb3ry »

Offline zslane

« Reply #354 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:46:28 »
I agree that IP law has become a tangled mess of inconsistency that leaves everyone standing around wondering if they've violated someone's rights. Most of the recent changes to IP law, at least in the US, have done nothing to help the individual creator and everything to prevent creative works from passing out of the vice-like grip of entertainment conglomerates and into the hands of the culture at large, as it was originally intended to. The result is a corrupted corpus of law that no longer serves its intended purpose (for the most part) and leaves perfectly reasonable people feeling like criminals for no reason.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #355 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:59:52 »
That is the conclusion for all those who want to try out designing a keyset. Its not only about studying keys but also licenses ;)

Make better everything by your own to keep things safe. Be creative and keep an eye on trademarks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 April 2017, 17:02:41 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #356 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 19:08:18 »
Makes sense. I guess it's not the end of the world. Still not a fan of triangular ones. What do you think about just adding some sciency greek letters in a "nice" font αβγδλω? Lower-case but upper-case sized. In that case Carbon would give a 'dangerous applied science' kind of vibe.

Sorry to say, but I'm also not fond of the triangle design. I do like the idea of using more Greek symbols because nobody has a copyright or trademark on those. I would suggest going for the symbols surrounding radioactive decay as this fits nicely with the carbon theme.

α (alpha) - alpha radiation
β (beta) - beta radiation
γ (gamma) - gamma radiation
τ (tau) - mean lifetime
λ (lambda) - decay constant
TG3 BL82, Cherry MX clears
Access IS 15x8 matrix layout, Cherry MX blacks

Offline Canceaux

« Reply #357 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 19:14:33 »
Love the Greek lettering idea; they fit perfectly with the scientific theme, and I'd kill to see them made. Whatever happens, though, this set can't come soon enough!
Leopold FC750R, Cherry MX Blues

Offline xbathoryx13

« Reply #358 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 23:14:26 »
where can I buy a set of the these SA keycaps?!?!?!??!? thanks, FYI, Im new here. Greetings from SOCAL!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #359 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 23:56:00 »

Sorry to say, but I'm also not fond of the triangle design. I do like the idea of using more Greek symbols because nobody has a copyright or trademark on those. I would suggest going for the symbols surrounding radioactive decay as this fits nicely with the carbon theme.

α (alpha) - alpha radiation
β (beta) - beta radiation
γ (gamma) - gamma radiation
τ (tau) - mean lifetime
λ (lambda) - decay constant

I'll look into that. But i dont promise. If i dont like results i just discard things like with graphene mods.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #360 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 02:14:56 »
How about warning signs or Greek letters in 1.25R4 to be used as icon mods along with the hex in the Carbon Novelties kit?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #361 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 03:13:32 »
Update.

Based on Dasher & Dancer sheet the basic kits are reworked a little bit.

That means bone modifiers gets more support but not for every kit (basics only). It still is an optional kit. Anyway looking through the kits you will see its getting pretty neat support and it has even its novelties.

Bone Modifiers kit
- Same as default modifiers kit. For the extra keys see the "Bone odifiers extension kit".

Modifiers extension kit
- Added support for 1800 layout (see row1 del, end and page down keys)
- Added various page up/page down keys for variety of 75% layouts
- Removed 7u spacebar which will be available as extra anyway.

Bone modifiers extension kit
- Bone Version of "Modifiers extension kit" with fewer keys.

Numpad kit
- Removed 1800 support. Look for "Modifiers extension kit".

Bone numpad kit
Bone Version of "Numpad kit"

Warning signs
- Replaced HalfLife lambda with own lambda sign.

NORDEUK kit
- Added missing "'#" key. (needed for ISO-DE)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #362 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 04:09:36 »
Sadly not a fan of the new Lambda logo, I get why you are going this route but hopefully an alternative solution can be found. Sure, the direct stylization of the character used as a logo is TM'd by Valve, but maybe if you simply use a different font? https://aws.amazon.com/lambda/ they don't seem to have issues either.

Also you're missing a 7u WBO spacebar in the extension kits  ;)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #363 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 04:17:25 »
Sadly not a fan of the new Lambda logo, I get why you are going this route but hopefully an alternative solution can be found. Sure, the direct stylization of the character used as a logo is TM'd by Valve, but maybe if you simply use a different font? https://aws.amazon.com/lambda/ they don't seem to have issues either.

As i said in slack i think there is more behind the surface. I can assume Amazon is working with Valve pretty tightly.

The 7u spacebar was removed intentionaly as it will be available as extra. Not everyone who wants the mods extension is going for wkl.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #364 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 04:19:26 »

The 7u spacebar was removed intentionaly as it will be available as extra. Not everyone who wants the mods extension is going for wkl.

Oh, missed that sentence, makes sense!

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #365 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 04:23:35 »
The new lambda looks strange to me too.

I also don't really see why putting the HL Logo (Lambda inside a circle) in a triangle shape helps legal issues.

At this point My vote would be remove/replace Lambda completely, or go with pure lambda no circle.

The new one just looks fake HL, like an addidas logo with 4 stripes.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #366 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 04:24:58 »
The new lambda looks strange to me too.

I also don't really see why putting the HL Logo (Lambda inside a circle) in a triangle shape helps legal issues.

At this point My vote would be remove/replace Lambda completely, or go with pure lambda no circle.

The new one just looks fake HL, like an addidas logo with 4 stripes.

Yeah i can remove the lambda completely, thats not the problem.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #367 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 04:39:51 »
I would prefer the lambda being removed, or changed to something completely different tbh.

I'm a huge fan of your work T0mb3ry, aswell as the classic look of Carbon, and to me the one 'fake' looking key hurts the set as a hole even if you don't have to use it.

Offline Theconejo

« Reply #368 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 07:23:18 »
If valve was silent with people using their games to gamble until it get tons of negative press, why is the use of this lambda symbol from the first runs of carbon such an issue? Did they reach out to you, SP, or GMK? Is this more of a preemptive move to see that doesn't happen now that keysets have gotten a little bit more coverage in the digital world?

Granted you don't need to answer me as some random person on the thread, I wouldn't be offended and would completely understand.

I too don't particularly like the new design, but at this point I'm not sure if it's the change, the reasoning behind the change, or the actual design that isn't sitting right with me. I guess it's absurd to me that it's an issue to use a symbol on a keyset that has nothing to do with Valve's IP or video games in general.

Edit: as far as the rework on the kits, I think the moving of keys to make certain kits more viable is understandable and expected. Good job with all the work out into the changes and good luck with the next steps.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 April 2017, 07:39:18 by Theconejo »

Offline fouras

« Reply #369 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 07:33:52 »
Can the gray num row from flex be moved to the alternate colorway kit? I think it makes more sense there. Single character ~ [ ] \ ; ' , . / keys could be added to flex instead.

There's also a += key missing from orange alphas.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #370 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 07:56:24 »
If valve was silent with people using their games to gamble until it get tons of negative press, why is the use of this lambda symbol from the first runs of carbon such an issue? Did they reach out to you, SP, or GMK? Is this more of a preemptive move to see that doesn't happen now that keysets have gotten a little bit more coverage in the digital world?

Granted you don't need to answer me as some random person on the thread, I wouldn't be offended and would completely understand.

I too don't particularly like the new design, but at this point I'm not sure if it's the change, the reasoning behind the change, or the actual design that isn't sitting right with me. I guess it's absurd to me that it's an issue to use a symbol on a keyset that has nothing to do with Valve's IP or video games in general.

Look i dont get why people talk about it that much. That Lambda symbol is a trademark of HalfLife game. Point. Its not up to discussion anymore. I took that symbol because it was suggested. Sure Carbon has nothing to do with HalfLife but i have to keep it from any legal issues. Valve did not reached out to me and neither to GMK nor to SP. But i do not need also to use their trademark without their acceptance further.

Any further discussion about that Lambda symbol is like beating a dead horse and i am tired to repeat myself like a broken record. I've described it pretty much detailed why i cant use that Lambda anymore, regardless Valve reached out to someone or not. Why should we talk about that again? Accept the HalfLife trademark people.

With the current Symbols i've just tried to get some kind of replacement for the Lambda but if you dont like that i'll discard it.

Can the gray num row from flex be moved to the alternate colorway kit? I think it makes more sense there. Single character ~ [ ] \ ; ' , . / keys could be added to flex instead.

Sounds reasonable so far. I'll look into that.

There's also a += key missing from orange alphas.

Thanks for the catch, i'll add that missing key in the next update ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 April 2017, 08:05:19 by T0mb3ry »

Offline richard912

« Reply #371 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 07:59:46 »
Looking at the updated OP, I'm so happy to see you've covered all that I need for TKL and 75% builds. Thanks!!!

Offline dsaf

« Reply #372 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 14:21:16 »
With the current Symbols i've just tried to get some kind of replacement for the Lambda but if you dont like that i'll discard it.

The situation about the trademark is clear. Regarding new design, suggestions can come until you say the meddling is too much. With that in mind, in my opinion:

1) Triangular design might work but it's not minimalist enough to fit with the rest of keys. What do you think about getting rid of the circle?
166677-0
The lambda character size could be increased as well.

2) Let's consider radiation Greeks kit before discarding it:
166679-1

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #373 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 14:29:31 »

The situation about the trademark is clear. Regarding new design, suggestions can come until you say the meddling is too much. With that in mind, in my opinion:

1) Triangular design might work but it's not minimalist enough to fit with the rest of keys. What do you think about getting rid of the circle?
(Attachment Link)
The lambda character size could be increased as well.

2) Let's consider radiation Greeks kit before discarding it:
(Attachment Link)

If people want that i can work this out. But we do have so many novelties already. I dont know if its really needed. Youn know the HalfLife lambda has indeed its charme and without it forcing other stuff isnt just the same. But its just me.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #374 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 14:37:08 »
Youn know the HalfLife lambda has indeed its charme and without it forcing other stuff isnt just the same. But its just me.

It's true, brings back good memories of HL1... I think you are right.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #375 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 14:52:13 »
Youn know the HalfLife lambda has indeed its charme and without it forcing other stuff isnt just the same. But its just me.

Well its not that i dont want to do stuff and all, but there are some themes there your really need an agreement to use an IP. And you can think of, that it was already tried to get licence for some game IPs. However Companies like Blizzard or Valve will not allow that.

In case they would allow me to introduce their IPs, so people who appreciate their games could get something like this:

This will definitely not end up as a kit. Even if i take out the IP stuff. Тhere is already enough stuff. Maybe i could introduce something similar in round 3 but definitely not yet.

Offline breckstar

« Reply #376 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 22:52:49 »

Well its not that i dont want to do stuff and all, but there are some themes there your really need an agreement to use an IP. And you can think of, that it was already tried to get licence for some game IPs. However Companies like Blizzard or Valve will not allow that.

In case they would allow me to introduce their IPs, so people who appreciate their games could get something like this:
Show Image

Show Image

This will definitely not end up as a kit. Even if i take out the IP stuff. Тhere is already enough stuff. Maybe i could introduce something similar in round 3 but definitely not yet.

Oooooo I would love this. OW is my primary game right now. Got the DSA overcast with the watchers kit and it's a pretty sight but OW and SA good gosh +1 for sure

Offline isunktheship

• AJCVisual
« Reply #377 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 23:59:17 »
Trademark can be skirted without a C&D, just sell sets without trademarked items.. special caps can be given away to buyers. They're not technically sold, so the C&D is for distribution (if applicable at all).

Offline GroovyGI

« Reply #378 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 09:34:55 »
I need two sets with Orange Alphas and Novelties and one Mac modifier kit, (and one spare just in case) but I am still looking forward to a GMK Carbon release next year for my work Leopold FC750R. I just cant have too much orange on my desk. As of now Massdrop has 6056 users have requested Carbon SA Keycap Set. You are about to make many people very happy.

Just my 2 cents but the Warning signs with Lambda without surrounding circle or triangle looks the best as they blend better with the other Warning Signs keys since they also have no surrounding outlines. People like this set for the colors and original design, the Lambda key is nice but will take nothing away if it is omitted. Thanks for bringing this back.
166890-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 April 2017, 12:11:09 by GroovyGI »

Offline maximm

« Reply #379 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 13:10:53 »
Let Massdrop decide what is copyrighted or not, you have no accountability as you are only the designer.

Offline isunktheship

• AJCVisual
« Reply #380 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 13:29:14 »
Let Massdrop decide what is copyrighted or not, you have no accountability as you are only the designer.
Agreed.

Was there an issue the first time?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #381 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 14:06:12 »
Update.

Rolling bones
- just good news the ISO enter novelty is possible :)

Warning signs
- Removed lambda signs.

No, thats my responsibility.

Edit: Added some info about rolling bones

« Last Edit: Tue, 25 April 2017, 14:31:52 by T0mb3ry »

Offline isunktheship

• AJCVisual
« Reply #382 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 15:09:54 »
I would skip this round if the lambda design changes so drastically. Sure it's just one key but it strongly contributes to the overall appeal to me. Does Valve really hold a trademark over a standalone Greek character? When there is a circle around it - sure, but just one standard-looking sans-serif character on it's own?

They do not own the trademark for the greek lambda sign as a whole. Its about the font. I suppose this sign (which was used in round 1) was extracted from the game btw. whoever created it - owns the rights. Since the licinse is unknown its just unsafe to continue to use it. If i see somewhere a proper license for it i can then decide to use it or not. Again it depends on license. Thus the free destribution of the HalfLife font on all the font sites is questionable without any license attached to it. Is it legal or not?

I get a feel people dont get how it works with IP and rights. What ever you create by your own its yours. You are the autor. The IP is applied to it automaticly. This is how it works in the most parts of the western world. For example the warning signs those i've created by myself btw the vector graphics belong to me. Its not about the warning signs usage its about these svgs i've done. If you want to use them rightfully you need to ask me or you do create your own warning signs with your own ip and you can do what ever you want with these.

Because how it works i cant use it, though i would love to keep it.

I did some digging, valve has a few trademarks, these are easily identified with their (TM) or (R) symbols:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Corporation - can't use that, it's a registered logo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_(series) - can't use the "HλLF-LIFE" logo, that's also registered.. but note the orange "λ", it is NOT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2 - can't use the lambda "squared" logo, that's registered (also note the nested "HλLF-LIFE" registration)

For the life of me I can't find a registered version of the singular lambda enclosed in a circle

Not to say it's smooth sailing, but a standalone orange lambda would not appear to have any conflict, even enclosing an orange lambda in an orange circle wouldn't appear to infringe on any rights..

Edit - this is on the bottom of the Valve site:
© 2017 Valve Corporation. All rights reserved. Valve, the Valve logo, Half-Life, the Half-Life logo, the Lambda logo, Steam, the Steam logo, Team Fortress, the Team Fortress logo, Opposing Force, Day of Defeat, the Day of Defeat logo, Counter-Strike, the Counter-Strike logo, Source, the Source logo, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Portal, the Portal logo, Dota, the Dota 2 logo, and Defense of the Ancients are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Valve Corporation. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Would just need to determine what constitutes as the "Lambda Logo", that could reference the logo used for HL2..
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 April 2017, 15:31:12 by isunktheship »

Offline Canceaux

« Reply #383 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 15:59:23 »
I'm still behind the radiation Greeks idea for warning signs. Including these symbols into the warns set will give the set a pure, minimalist lambda, while also tying into SA Carbon's scientific theme. And since the lambda's included with other radiation symbols in a radiation context, using it that way would obviously be fair use - Valve can't trademark the symbol for actual half-lives, or they'd have to sue the whole scientific community. I'd personally love it - I'd buy ten sets of it if I could - and I'm sure there are many others who feel the same. (I can set up a poll if anyone thinks it might help.)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #384 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 16:32:46 »
I would skip this round if the lambda design changes so drastically. Sure it's just one key but it strongly contributes to the overall appeal to me. Does Valve really hold a trademark over a standalone Greek character? When there is a circle around it - sure, but just one standard-looking sans-serif character on it's own?

They do not own the trademark for the greek lambda sign as a whole. Its about the font. I suppose this sign (which was used in round 1) was extracted from the game btw. whoever created it - owns the rights. Since the licinse is unknown its just unsafe to continue to use it. If i see somewhere a proper license for it i can then decide to use it or not. Again it depends on license. Thus the free destribution of the HalfLife font on all the font sites is questionable without any license attached to it. Is it legal or not?

I get a feel people dont get how it works with IP and rights. What ever you create by your own its yours. You are the autor. The IP is applied to it automaticly. This is how it works in the most parts of the western world. For example the warning signs those i've created by myself btw the vector graphics belong to me. Its not about the warning signs usage its about these svgs i've done. If you want to use them rightfully you need to ask me or you do create your own warning signs with your own ip and you can do what ever you want with these.

Because how it works i cant use it, though i would love to keep it.

I did some digging, valve has a few trademarks, these are easily identified with their (TM) or (R) symbols:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Corporation - can't use that, it's a registered logo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_(series) - can't use the "HλLF-LIFE" logo, that's also registered.. but note the orange "λ", it is NOT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2 - can't use the lambda "squared" logo, that's registered (also note the nested "HλLF-LIFE" registration)

For the life of me I can't find a registered version of the singular lambda enclosed in a circle

Not to say it's smooth sailing, but a standalone orange lambda would not appear to have any conflict, even enclosing an orange lambda in an orange circle wouldn't appear to infringe on any rights..

Edit - this is on the bottom of the Valve site:
© 2017 Valve Corporation. All rights reserved. Valve, the Valve logo, Half-Life, the Half-Life logo, the Lambda logo, Steam, the Steam logo, Team Fortress, the Team Fortress logo, Opposing Force, Day of Defeat, the Day of Defeat logo, Counter-Strike, the Counter-Strike logo, Source, the Source logo, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Portal, the Portal logo, Dota, the Dota 2 logo, and Defense of the Ancients are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Valve Corporation. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Would just need to determine what constitutes as the "Lambda Logo", that could reference the logo used for HL2..

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/011945961

Offline colbs

« Reply #385 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 16:33:35 »
I'm still behind the radiation Greeks idea for warning signs. Including these symbols into the warns set will give the set a pure, minimalist lambda, while also tying into SA Carbon's scientific theme. And since the lambda's included with other radiation symbols in a radiation context, using it that way would obviously be fair use - Valve can't trademark the symbol for actual half-lives, or they'd have to sue the whole scientific community. I'd personally love it - I'd buy ten sets of it if I could - and I'm sure there are many others who feel the same. (I can set up a poll if anyone thinks it might help.)
^ This.

That idea would look great, match the science theme, and definitely would prevent any intellectual property issues. 

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Offline isunktheship

• AJCVisual
« Reply #386 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 16:48:46 »
https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/011945961

D'oh!  I had a feeling the lambda circle logo would be registered.. so.. looks like the lone lambda is the way to go.

I also like the idea of introducing multiple greek letters; alpha, beta, omega..

Offline dsaf

« Reply #387 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 16:57:22 »
I would buy greeks as well. Could be a separate mini-kit to reduce the risk. Just let's not consider them a replacement for HL-inspired lambda.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #388 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 17:32:13 »
Rolling bones
- just good news the ISO enter novelty is possible :)

What about Carbon hex grid ISO enter? Doesn't matter if 1/2/3/4 honeycomb clusters. It would be nice to have parity between ISO and ANSI.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 April 2017, 17:34:15 by dsaf »

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #389 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 18:45:00 »
I would buy greeks as well. Could be a separate mini-kit to reduce the risk. Just let's not consider them a replacement for HL-inspired lambda.

Not a bad idea. Greek characters could blow out the kit size for warning signs for those not wanting it, but a separate kit would be a clear indication of those who do want it. If there's not enough then it doesn't hit MOQ and we can accept that we're in the minority and just enjoy the keyset without the Greek characters.

I'm thinking R1 for each, plus the corresponding alpha row (assuming qwerty) for each. For example:
α (R3), β (R4), γ (R3), τ (R2), λ R3

The main problem here is that even just those five characters relating to radioactive decay in row 1 and the corresponding alpha row in each of the colours to match the warning signs means a kit of 30 keys - not something you'd want to take lightly.

As far as tooling goes, Signature Plastics should already have molds for α, β, and γ from the radioactive kit produced for Nuclear Data - I don't know what the terms of use are for previous novelties' tooling, but it might be a way to save on production costs.

Offline isunktheship

• AJCVisual
« Reply #390 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 18:49:20 »
I reached out to Gabe.. THE Gabe, I didn't expect him to reply here's.. but HE DID.

Here's his response:
to:   REDACTED
date:   Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 3:27 PM
subject:   RE: [Contact Form] Half-Life Lambda Logo Usage
mailed-by:   valvesoftware.com

Have him contact me and we'll give him an explicit license.  Then everybody is happy.

Drop him a line!!

Offline Canceaux

« Reply #391 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 18:52:33 »
isunktheship, if this is legit you are an absolute genius. So glad you put in the work, though I did genuinely like Greeks on their own and they might not be happening now...still, a blessing from Gaben is nothing to sneeze at. (Now, whether he'll support Half Life for round 3...)

Offline isunktheship

• AJCVisual
« Reply #392 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 18:56:45 »
100% legit!  I used this form, since I assumed an email from an external address might not make it through: http://www.valvesoftware.com/email.php

I resisted asking about HL3 :P

Offline Theconejo

« Reply #393 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 21:42:32 »
Holy ****.

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #394 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 22:53:39 »
What the what!? The almighty Gaben is probably hanging out to get a set of Carbon SA for himself! :p Go 100% exact logo if the explicit license allows it - and definitely offer him a complete free set of all kits to cover any layout (absorbed into the cost of all other kits purchased) if he allows the logo to be used. I'm sure we as a community could shout him a set as a show of good faith if he'll give us the use of the HL logo.

Also, really nice work isunktheship you must have some elite emailing skills to get right to the top like that! :thumb:

Offline palindrome

« Reply #395 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 22:56:51 »
This kit just hit MOQ.

OG KBC Poker X (Brown)     Leopold FC660M (Brown)

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #396 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 23:10:54 »
So will Gabe be getting a round 2 set?? Jokes aside, this is some awesome news!

Offline Tally810

« Reply #397 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 01:04:05 »
Wait is this real life?  Wait is tp4 Gaben?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline oscdawg

« Reply #398 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 02:12:05 »
Maybe Gabe gave you the green light because he saw how awesome this keyset is and wanted to get it for himself

Offline kawaiicheung

« Reply #399 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 06:24:56 »
As you say, split keyboards need 2.75u, some customized mechanical keyboards also use it.

Recently GMK's spacebars kits always have a 2.75u spacebar.

Sincerely hope that it will be a spacebar kit include all kinds of spacebars.  :)

Thanks for example. I'll add an 2.75u graphene key to 40% kit. Also imost probably there will be kind of split spacebar kit like in GMK Carbon.

Hope next update will add these. XD