Author Topic: A better Solder Sucker?  (Read 2731 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
A better Solder Sucker?
« on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 11:17:57 »
Any recommendations for a solder sucker (pen/pump)?

I've been using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C70X7V4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

166120-0

for a while now.  It is okay for small jobs, but such a pain for desoldering an entire board.  The tip seems a bit too large, and it constantly leaves solder flakes on my boards after i press the button even though I've tried my best to keep it clean inside.

Just wondering if there are any affordable options that are markedly better short of an actual rework station or deslodering tool (i don't have that much to invest in it).

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: A better Solder Sucker?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 11:26:39 »

Offline kolec94

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 11:46:33 »
get a vacuum pump desoldering iron

kbparadise v60 blues

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 14:13:59 »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I'll take a look at this stuff.   :thumb:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 19:57:30 »
Honestly if you're going to desolder more than a couple boards, especially backlit boards a dedicated desoldering pump (like a hakko) is a great investment.

Offline kolec94

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 10:30:31 »
are you working with smd to through hole components.
if smd look for a tweezers style soldering iron.
if through hole might want to look at some good solder whick.
either get a lot of flux

kbparadise v60 blues

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 11:18:33 »
are you working with smd to through hole components.
if smd look for a tweezers style soldering iron.
if through hole might want to look at some good solder whick.
either get a lot of flux

Through hole.  I actually did just get some flux in the mail yesterday.  Before that I was going about it in a very ghetto fashion... I was just melting some fresh rosin-core solder on top of the old to get flux on it.  Works, but it's a waste of solder  :p

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 11:23:03 »
Honestly if you're going to desolder more than a couple boards, especially backlit boards a dedicated desoldering pump (like a hakko) is a great investment.

I've been eyeing the hakko for a while.  I have the FX-888d and I love it.  I probably only desolder a few times a month though (a switch here, and LED there), and I've only every completely desoldered two boards up to this point.  I think I'll pick up the Engineer SS-02 for now. Maybe I can do a few more side project jobs and splurge for the Hakko down the road.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 09:21:21 »
I just ordered me one of these de-soldering irons from Amazon
167087-0
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068IJSG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's got pretty decent reviews & seems like it'll be much easier to work with than just a hand pump. Best part (if it works well) is it only cost me $22.98! I really want the Hakko de-soldering gun to compliment my 888D, but I do not do enough de-soldering right now to justify a $300 tool for it unfortunately. Also I just had to buy a new sawzall & circular saw for my real job so that cut into my fun time funds pretty good there. :(

I should have it by early next week & plan on taking my Pok3r apart for switch/stab lubing & a spring swap when I get it. So I'll post back on this thread how good or bad it worked for me. I'm hoping it will work great but with no temp control & decently high wattage I will have to be careful AF when learning how to properly use it.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 13:09:03 »
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/65pqvw/how_to_desolder_super_easily_with_an_amazon_tool/

I bought one of those, well, the local version of it because 220v.

It definitely made desoldering one layer boards insanely quick (didn't test any 2 layer boards yet). But after around 7min the grip starts getting pretty warm, and for the last 2 switches I did I had to hold it at the very top because everything lower than that was definitely uncomfortably hot, I'd recommend doing half a board at a time and then taking a 5-10 min break to let it cool off inbetween.

All in all I'd say it's worth the 10 bucks, just don't expect anything more than you paid.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 13:49:21 »
I picked up one of these and it works great , it does start getting slightly tiring to press the spring down after removing 100 switches or so.

https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-SS-02-Solder-Sucker/dp/B002MJMXD4/ref=s9u_wsim_gw_i1?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B002MJMXD4&pd_rd_r=FRV550TVKXCNSAKYM4M1&pd_rd_w=2G3K8&pd_rd_wg=Jo9mm&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=JKNAM1N2SER3GNJKB5R3&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2a4fafb6-9fdc-425a-aee8-c82daa7b18ed&pf_rd_i=desktop

Just got the same one in the mail today.  I plan to use it tonight on exactly 61 switches, so we'll see :)