Author Topic: Zealios  (Read 3867 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Zealios
« on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:48:38 »
I love my 55g modded topre Novatouch, but thought I could try our those Zealios, which many times people said those are awesome, best from all MX greens, whites, clears etc

I read about different kinds of those switches and think 67g would be better for me.

How do you guys classify those switches? I read 67g are similar to topre 55g, is that right?

I like clicky noise of blues, don't like the light tactile of browns in long run.
I'm trying to figure out if Zealios are good for myself....

Ideally I would order Zealios and Varmilo VA69M soldering kit to build my own 67g Zelaios keyboard.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Zealios
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:55:32 »
You'll only know if you like them once you try them.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 16:03:20 »
The Zealios switch sampler pack is a good way to get an idea for how they feel. You will need to have them soldered to a board, or at least mounted to a plate to really test how they feel. But having the switches in hand is a good place to start.

https://zealpc.net/collections/switches/products/zealio-switch-sampler-pack

Offline Data

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 18:39:17 »
I just put 67g Zealios in my Revo Dr. D build and it's the smoothest, most enjoyable typing experience of my life. But I've always like them so obviously I'm a bit biased.

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 04:32:18 »
I just put 67g Zealios in my Revo Dr. D build and it's the smoothest, most enjoyable typing experience of my life. But I've always like them so obviously I'm a bit biased.

Saying smooth, do you mean like mx black smooth?
How strong can feel the "mx brown" tactile bump?
Would it more like topre smooth tactile bump, not so "vivid" as mx brown?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 06:34:21 »
Zealio tactile bump is closer to an MX Clear than a Brown. IMO, Clears and Zealios tactility benefits more from lighter springs, hence 'ergo clears' are MX Clears with lighter springs.

Which Zealio feels best for you will be down to you, it really depends what kind of feel you like. I personally have bought 78g Zealio from the recent round to use in my next build, as the heaviest weight felt the most satisfying.

If you're looking for something closer to Topre (which I haven't used myself, but this seems to be a somewhat common opinion), look into MOD switches. They have their tactile bump further up the key press, so apparently they feel closer to a Topre switch in that the force curve rises sharper and 'collapses' more apparently. I had MOD L in my MiniVan, and although they're lighter than what I'd usually go for, I can definitely understand people's comments on them.
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 08:03:57 »
Zealio tactile bump is closer to an MX Clear than a Brown. IMO, Clears and Zealios tactility benefits more from lighter springs, hence 'ergo clears' are MX Clears with lighter springs.

Which Zealio feels best for you will be down to you, it really depends what kind of feel you like. I personally have bought 78g Zealio from the recent round to use in my next build, as the heaviest weight felt the most satisfying.

If you're looking for something closer to Topre (which I haven't used myself, but this seems to be a somewhat common opinion), look into MOD switches. They have their tactile bump further up the key press, so apparently they feel closer to a Topre switch in that the force curve rises sharper and 'collapses' more apparently. I had MOD L in my MiniVan, and although they're lighter than what I'd usually go for, I can definitely understand people's comments on them.

Interesting.
I have ordered new Varmilo VA69M (ISO version) with MX greens, so will see how those feel like. I liked mx blues but thought they were too light, so thought I would try greens.
If greens will feel good enough, I may go for Zealios 78g instead of 67g.

Personally, I felt topre 45g too light, mx blues same. Now 55g topre is good, not too hard. I have all mx switches testers and felt like greens were still fine, so I hope I will like them.

Offline Petch

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 20:21:49 »

I heard there were quite a few QC issues with the mod switches, especially scratchiness. I'm holding out for a second revision before I try them

Offline digisax

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 21:27:31 »
Zealios are sweet, you should definitely try them before you buy a whole board's worth though. The Mod switches are a good option too depending on if you value tactility or smoothness. Zealios are more tactile than Clears or Browns and smoother than Mods, Mods are the most tactile but ever so slightly less smooth.
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline phinix

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 03:24:34 »
Well, now I know how mx greens feel like.
I must have some kind of heavy fingers cause I cannot feel that 80g of greens to be too much.
Nice and springy! :)

I may actually prefer 78g Zealios...

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 04:49:25 »
Well, now I know how mx greens feel like.
I must have some kind of heavy fingers cause I cannot feel that 80g of greens to be too much.
Nice and springy! :)

I may actually prefer 78g Zealios...
Definitely getting 78g myself for a future build.
Greens aren't heavy for me though, they're actually quite nice.

Offline phinix

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 07:38:24 »
Where can I buy Zealios?
On his www its all pre-order - how long would I need to wait for like 90 switches? Do you guys know?

Also - Zealios are said to be smooth, 78g have apparent tactile bump and more smooth than mx clears - what this "smooth" mean? how it can be more smooth but have more apparent tactile bump?
So you can feel more the bump but its smoother?
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 April 2017, 07:46:14 by phinix »

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 08:30:12 »
Smooth means not scratchy. By comparison you can feel the rough surface of the slider - and I don't mean the tactile bump - on other Cherry MX switches. The surface of the plastic slider itself is smoother.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 08:38:38 »
I wrote a big paragraph but upon reading it back I confused even myself  :))

Smoothness generally refers to the actual plastic material the slider is made from. This can also be improved by lubricating. Below is an example, Gateron vs Cherry (Cherry have recently updated their molds apparently so only take this is an example, not gospel). Same design / shape, different smoothness:

It's the same with tactile switches. The Zealio slider has the same tactile bump shape as the Cherry MX Clear, but it produced by Gateron.

Smoothness is obviously highly desired, as the only 'resistance' you should be feeling is from the spring and the tactile bump, not from the roughness of the material.

With regards to buying Zealio - email him, he seems very quick with replies, or find him on Reddit or here and drop him a PM (ZealPC). I bought mine a few weeks ago at the $0.85 rate, and they shipped in a couple of weeks. Once that pre-order stage is over, the price goes up to about a dollar each which us retail. He should be able to advise what your current position is if you're ready to buy.

Hope that helps and made some kind of sense  :p
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline digisax

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 12:19:51 »
Another option might be Mod Switches, they're not quite as smooth as Zealios but they're really nice and tactile. Novelkeys sells a switch tester that you can pick what switches you want in it and they offer both Mods and Zeals.
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 13:38:03 »
Another option might be Mod Switches, they're not quite as smooth as Zealios but they're really nice and tactile. Novelkeys sells a switch tester that you can pick what switches you want in it and they offer both Mods and Zeals.

I just got my Tada68 in a few weeks back and just switched from gateron blues (40 something g spring I think) to the Mod M and I can go so much faster and make a lot less mistakes. For some reason, I've tried cherry blues (50 or 60 something actuation weight I think?) and it was really tiring to type on and felt really heavy, but for some reason with the mod M, there's no tired feeling and I can go much faster. The mod M's are close to the 65 or 67g zealios iirc.

Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co