Author Topic: [IC] Laser GMK - 80's & Cyberpunk (LIVE)  (Read 262819 times)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [IC] Laser GMK - An 80's vs Cyberpunk Project
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:37:37 »
bars are like training wheels for people learning to touch type

Hey now! Some of us like our training wheels!

:)) honestly, i dont know why both aren't typically offered with custom sets these days. i have a preference, but i think this whole argument is just ridiculous rabble that comes up every time

That's exactly why I posted it :eek:

Shame about the other key suggestions which are going ignored.

GMK has a R3 numpad 5 scoop? never seen it before, but sounds cool
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 May 2017, 15:40:22 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline Data

« Reply #251 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 16:24:05 »

Scoops are for people who require a head wand.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #252 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 16:28:47 »

Scoops are for people who require a head wand.

Show Image

the bars interfere with the wand!!

Offline digisax

« Reply #253 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 16:53:20 »
Love the idea for incorporating some of the JDM car culture! I will selfishly throw in a vote for some Suabaru love.

The 22b STI isn't from the 80's, but it's the most iconic earlier Subaru (early 90's): https://icdn-2.motor1.com/images/mgl/kmgJR/s1/1998-subaru-impreza-22b-sti.jpg
The Subaru logo: http://www.carlogos.org/logo/Subaru-logo-2001-2560x1440.png
STI: http://cartype.com/pics/104/small/sti_logo_1.jpg

I'm not sure it'd fit the style of the set, but I do love the 22b.
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #254 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 17:08:46 »
Love the idea for incorporating some of the JDM car culture! I will selfishly throw in a vote for some Suabaru love.

The 22b STI isn't from the 80's, but it's the most iconic earlier Subaru (early 90's): https://icdn-2.motor1.com/images/mgl/kmgJR/s1/1998-subaru-impreza-22b-sti.jpg

I own a 2.5rs, and I love the 22b... but I'm not sure how cars fit the cyberpunk theme :-\  the deloreon was a stretch, IMO

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #255 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 17:51:09 »

I own a 2.5rs, and I love the 22b... but I'm not sure how cars fit the cyberpunk theme :-\  the deloreon was a stretch, IMO

I was thinking the same thing. Anyway, can't remember if it's been suggested already but how about a Tyrell Corporation logo cap?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #256 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 18:37:06 »
or Weyland Corp.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #257 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 19:12:52 »
Or Omni Consumer Products

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #258 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 21:32:52 »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #259 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 21:46:31 »

The one car that I think needs to be more highlighted in this set is the Trueno AE86. It certainly fits with this set!
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #260 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 23:10:01 »
Given GMK's price of $300 (last I heard) per 1u key I'd say offering both is highly unlikely to warrant the costs but you never know with these sets nowadays, more and more people get into the buys every day so maybe it's not even as far fetched as one would think - still, 13 grand per kit would most definitely be pushing it too hard in my mind.

Wait soo the price for this set could reach up to $300? Oh wow

Offline digisax

« Reply #261 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 23:13:25 »
or Weyland Corp.

Show Image

I'd be so in for a Weyland Yutani keycap.

Given GMK's price of $300 (last I heard) per 1u key I'd say offering both is highly unlikely to warrant the costs but you never know with these sets nowadays, more and more people get into the buys every day so maybe it's not even as far fetched as one would think - still, 13 grand per kit would most definitely be pushing it too hard in my mind.

It's possible, but the $300 is how much GMK charges for a new 1u key mold.

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #262 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 23:16:09 »
Oh I see.  Thanks the reply!

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 23:20:50 »
or Weyland Corp.

Show Image

Ahh I thought is was $50 per mold?

Offline digisax

« Reply #264 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 23:22:52 »
or Weyland Corp.

Show Image

It certainly could be but I've always heard $300.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #265 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 06:33:59 »

The one car that I think needs to be more highlighted in this set is the Trueno AE86. It certainly fits with this set!
Yeah I don't think we really need more in the way of novelties, was just throwing that stuff in for consideration on the sticker stuff he's looking into. Personally, I think there's plenty of novelties now and adding more is just going to make the kit more expensive than it needs to be. There's a point where you're just trying to get too much in there to make everyone happy.

Still eagerly waiting for this set and glad we can discuss it again!

Offline atomicus

« Reply #266 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 06:43:05 »
Yeah I don't think we really need more in the way of novelties, was just throwing that stuff in for consideration on the sticker stuff he's looking into. Personally, I think there's plenty of novelties now and adding more is just going to make the kit more expensive than it needs to be. There's a point where you're just trying to get too much in there to make everyone happy.

Still eagerly waiting for this set and glad we can discuss it again!

I don't think we need MORE, but I think decisions need to be made and in my view there are some odd ones on the original list/render Mito put up (bowl and chopsticks for instance, and Eleven's forearm tattoo, while I love the show, doesn't really make sense to me), and there are some far more apt suggestions that fit with an 80's themed set. The Omnicorp logo is a MUST in my view.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 May 2017, 06:45:12 by atomicus »

Offline mBass

« Reply #267 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 06:48:06 »
How is a bowl & chopstics less fitting than something from robocop? The only cop that belongs in this set is Triceracop... or maybe Time Cop.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 May 2017, 06:52:34 by mBass »

Offline atomicus

« Reply #268 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 06:52:44 »
How is a bowl & chopstics less fitting than something from robocop. The only cop that belongs in this set is Triceracop... or maybe Time Cop.

Well I would argue Robocop was far more of a cultural icon than a generic bowl & chopsticks. Triceracop is a modern invention, and if this set (as it should IMO) hearkens to 80's culture then anything which is just 'new' 80's style/theme but not actually from that era doesn't really belong, as it simply muddies the waters. That's not to say these suggestions don't look good, I just think this set needs to decide what it is.

Offline mBass

« Reply #269 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 07:03:52 »
How is a bowl & chopstics less fitting than something from robocop. The only cop that belongs in this set is Triceracop... or maybe Time Cop.

Well I would argue Robocop was far more of a cultural icon than a generic bowl & chopsticks. Triceracop is a modern invention, and if this set (as it should IMO) hearkens to 80's culture then anything which is just 'new' 80's style/theme but not actually from that era doesn't really belong, as it simply muddies the waters. That's not to say these suggestions don't look good, I just think this set needs to decide what it is.

While I do love robocop, there's nothing very "cyberpunk" about it. The bowl and chopsticks, on the other hand, is arguably the most thematically appropriate icon in the whole set. Not only does it hit the Japanese note for obvious reasons, it's also a Blade Runner reference. If this were simply an 80s set, an OCP logo would be a no brainer. I agree regarding triceracop though, which is why I'm also of the same mind when it comes to the Stranger Things reference. They both take a bit away from the authenticity.

Offline atomicus

« Reply #270 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 07:08:23 »

While I do love robocop, there's nothing very "cyberpunk" about it. The bowl and chopsticks, on the other hand, is arguably the most thematically appropriate icon in the whole set. Not only does it hit the Japanese note for obvious reasons, it's also a Blade Runner reference. If this were simply an 80s set, an OCP logo would be a no brainer. I agree regarding triceracop though, which is why I'm also of the same mind when it comes to the Stranger Things reference. They both take a bit away from the authenticity.

That is valid on the chopsticks, I hadn't thought of that. Robocop is quintessential 80's though, and I'd argue it has MANY cyberpunk elements.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #271 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 07:11:22 »
or Weyland Corp.

Show Image

Signature Plastic charges 50$ per new legend mold, plus these can be reused on any keysize. GMK charges 500$ per new legend mold, and this mold will only work on one key size, so if you want the same new legend on 1u, 1.25u and 1.5u, you'll have to pay 3x500$. The costs for these new molds translate into the GB pricing for the kits, hence GMK novelty packs such as the one for GMK Carbon are rather high considering the amount of keys in them.

Offline mBass

« Reply #272 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 07:18:19 »

That is valid on the chopsticks, I hadn't thought of that. Robocop is quintessential 80's though, and I'd argue it has MANY cyberpunk elements.

Well I'll concede that it's more cyberpunk than a couple of the others. I don't want to come across as being overly critical of Mito's picks though. Overall I think he's done an outstanding job.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #273 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 07:28:55 »
I feel like this is a set who's success hinges on having a wide enough variety of pop culture inspired novelties that it can be anything to anyone. The color scheme for me has an arcade vibe, but also reminds me a fair bit of Blood Dragon
The flesh melting magenta evoke 80's cheese :D (80's revival works are about as understated as these colors) more than any serious Cyberpunk work. Robocop has grit in its cheese with at least a touch of Cyberpunk, so I think its a better fit for bold colors than the more understated/atmospheric Bladerunner does(but the unicorn cap is sick)
You could make a novelty pack devoted only to fictional 'corp' logos, but you probably shouldn't...

Offline mBass

« Reply #274 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 07:43:24 »
I can't speak for the rest of the world but the main appeal to me is how focused the set is.  Adding more stuff is fine but I'd hate to see concessions made to water down the theme.  Replace the cyberpunk stuff with Ronald Reagan and WWF logos and I'll be a sad panda.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #275 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 08:07:35 »
I was umming and ahhing about suggesting the OCP logo because I don't consider it cyberpunk enough, but I was following on from the Weyland Yutani one (Alien franchise isn't cyberpunk either) and the OCP logo is kinda perfect for a keycap so I went ahead. If it was down to me I'd prefer the set to be strictly cyberpunk and lose all the more general 80's stuff, the pacman etc, but I totally get the appeal of those things and will buy into them to get the bladerunner stuff.  I love that chopsticks bowl.

Offline mBass

« Reply #276 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 08:15:04 »
Yeah I think the chopsticks bowl is my favorite one.  I do like the arcade stuff too but if I could add more designs, I'd add stuff with that neo-Tokyo vibe. 

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #277 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 12:19:25 »
Kaneda jacket pill!

Offline mBass

« Reply #278 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 12:26:10 »
Kaneda jacket pill!

No joke, I was in the middle of typing that same suggestion earlier when I got sidetracked doing something else.   :thumb:

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #279 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 13:46:53 »

I was thinking the same thing. Anyway, can't remember if it's been suggested already but how about a Tyrell Corporation logo cap?

AFAIK, it wasn't present in the movie, so it's just some fan stuff. The snapshot of the owl itself from the movie would be hard to reproduce IMO.

Same thing with Maas, Hosaka and T-A: there're no "official" logos for this iconic corporations.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #280 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 14:12:45 »

AFAIK, it wasn't present in the movie, so it's just some fan stuff. The snapshot of the owl itself from the movie would be hard to reproduce IMO.

Same thing with Maas, Hosaka and T-A: there're no "official" logos for this iconic corporations.

Yeah I wasn't sure either, but it turns out it's legit. Check it out: http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=774

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #281 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 14:13:54 »
Still... hardly iconic.

« Reply #282 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 15:39:40 »

Yeah I wasn't sure either, but it turns out it's legit. Check it out: http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=774

Didn't pay attention enough, my bad.
The words in this scene "the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long and you have burn so very very brightly, Roy" just stun me.
Well, I guess since it is legit, I'll draw it just in case. It's certainly looks easier than unicorn that made it.

Offline Perfex

« Reply #283 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 21:31:57 »
I think the film Dune is missing a novelty opportunity, but what?

« Reply #284 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 21:57:00 »
Well, that's a controversial thing here with Dune.
The movie is totally 80s, but the whole described Dune universe is absolutely opposite to any cyberpunk: the main event that defined Dune universe was Butlerian Jihad after all and little is know about computer-assisted life before it.

Offline Perfex

« Reply #285 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 22:21:51 »
Well, that's a controversial thing here with Dune.
The movie is totally 80s, but the whole described Dune universe is absolutely opposite to any cyberpunk: the main event that defined Dune universe was Butlerian Jihad after all and little is know about computer-assisted life before it.

Ahh you have a point, but that colorway!

Most likely far too late for new ideas for novelties anyway, Dune just popped in my head when I glanced at the renders again.

« Last Edit: Sat, 06 May 2017, 22:42:40 by Perfex »

Offline Data

« Reply #286 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 23:50:24 »
The Spice must flow.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #287 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 21:56:16 »
While I'm waiting on a couple e-mails to be answered, I'll be working on a replacement so we can have the Akira pill for the Novelties (will most likely swap for the skull). I managed to render the 96 layout as requested and updated the Base Kit which now includes bars and scoop F,J and 5 keycaps. For those who asked, I'm personally a fan of bars and this is why they were included to begin with. But I see that some people prefer the scoops so I think it's reasonable to include them. We won't have non-referenced keycaps though, I think that would be a waste. People seem to either use bars or scoops, so six wasted keycaps make no sense. I also fixed the ISO 1u |\ which was supposed to be R4 since day one (rendering mistake from my part).

I also left you guys sort of clueless when I mentioned JDM slaps, apparently you didn't understand the concept so you can see some mockups of what I'm talking about below. The idea isn't to celebrate cars or the JMD culture, these things obviously have nothing to do with the keycap set. What I want to do is simply borrow the JDM slap concept so we can have community made outrun/cyberpunk slaps in the same style (rectangular shape, a short funny phrase or words with symbols and colors). I encourage everyone to tinker with ideas and share possible designs in this thread, so we can select nice ones and get them made. I also made some vaporwave ones (GATISTOTLE LOGIC) but my PC crashed and I lost the designs. I will try to repeat that later if there's any interest. For now, you can see the cyberpunk/outrun ones that I came up with and the renders I previously mentioned as well:

Offline odd13

« Reply #288 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 22:24:30 »
So interested and cannot wait for the release... We will get warning right? so we can camp out over night in tents and wait for the drop???

BASE+NOVELTIES

Offline GeneralArrow

« Reply #289 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 23:45:58 »
When does this set go live and how and when can I buy it?

Offline digisax

« Reply #290 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 01:13:51 »

I also left you guys sort of clueless when I mentioned JDM slaps, apparently you didn't understand the concept so you can see some mockups of what I'm talking about below. The idea isn't to celebrate cars or the JMD culture, these things obviously have nothing to do with the keycap set. What I want to do is simply borrow the JDM slap concept so we can have community made outrun/cyberpunk slaps in the same style (rectangular shape, a short funny phrase or words with symbols and colors). I encourage everyone to tinker with ideas and share possible designs in this thread, so we can select nice ones and get them made. I also made some vaporwave ones (GATISTOTLE LOGIC) but my PC crashed and I lost the designs. I will try to repeat that later if there's any interest. For now, you can see the cyberpunk/outrun ones that I came up with and the renders I previously mentioned as well:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Everytime there's an update on this set I get more excited, those slaps are awesome and I'm glad to see scooped keys. The set looks awesome on a 96 key in the renders, perfect for my B.Mini Ex.

Any word on when it'll go live?

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #291 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 01:56:14 »
I am staying in the spirit:

https://i.imgur.com/OEchxTI.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 May 2017, 02:01:09 by ArchDill »

Offline TheMissingPiece

• TheAverageOne
« Reply #292 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 01:59:55 »
I also made some vaporwave ones (GATISTOTLE LOGIC) but my PC crashed and I lost the designs. I will try to repeat that later if there's any interest.

Yes! Of course! Always down for more VAPORWAVE!

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #293 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 05:50:37 »
Yay scoops!!

:p

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #294 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 06:10:37 »
Yay Akira pill! Just need that Colevrak set and I'll be at maximum hype.

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #295 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 07:10:15 »
I also made some vaporwave ones (GATISTOTLE LOGIC) but my PC crashed and I lost the designs. I will try to repeat that later if there's any interest.

Yes! Of course! Always down for more VAPORWAVE!

Oh hell yeah, I'm down for some vaporwave novelties!!!

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #296 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 07:13:08 »
While I'm waiting on a couple e-mails to be answered, I'll be working on a replacement so we can have the Akira pill for the Novelties (will most likely swap for the skull). I managed to render the 96 layout as requested and updated the Base Kit which now includes bars and scoop F,J and 5 keycaps. For those who asked, I'm personally a fan of bars and this is why they were included to begin with. But I see that some people prefer the scoops so I think it's reasonable to include them. We won't have non-referenced keycaps though, I think that would be a waste. People seem to either use bars or scoops, so six wasted keycaps make no sense. I also fixed the ISO 1u |\ which was supposed to be R4 since day one (rendering mistake from my part).

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Ah, the sticker stuff makes way more sense now, I love the idea and I'll try to find some time to mess with some ideas!

It looks so good in the 96 layout! The different colors for the mods vs. alphas is great on that layout because it's different enough to break up the sections visually but subtle enough that the mass of keys doesn't look too contrasty.

Also, I saw Guardians 2 this weekend (It was great, go see it!) and the theater had a poster for it that felt very much in the theme of this set: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-imax-poster.jpg Obviously don't imagine we' incorporate anything from it here, just wanted to share.

Offline anantonton

« Reply #297 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 08:19:13 »

Also, I saw Guardians 2 this weekend (It was great, go see it!) and the theater had a poster for it that felt very much in the theme of this set: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-imax-poster.jpg Obviously don't imagine we' incorporate anything from it here, just wanted to share.

I too has just back from watching Guardians of The Galaxy 2 and it felt like childhood revisited (I was born in the 80s). I had several walkmans and I grew up facing limitations of analog (cassettes and VHS/Betamax), thought Pac Man was already very cool, MegaMan anybody? Galaga? Tetris? Arkanoid? Oh man it really got me into that mood.

Back to keycaps, just trying to throw idea here, how about an Arcade machine? Just an idea...

Offline Data

« Reply #298 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 08:21:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Ah, the sticker stuff makes way more sense now, I love the idea and I'll try to find some time to mess with some ideas!

It looks so good in the 96 layout! The different colors for the mods vs. alphas is great on that layout because it's different enough to break up the sections visually but subtle enough that the mass of keys doesn't look too contrasty.

The end credits roll especially was the most 80s thing I've seen all year. 

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #299 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 10:52:48 »
Bars please!
I'm a touch typist but as much as I try, I can't seem to home on scoops.