Author Topic: [IC] Laser GMK - 80's & Cyberpunk (LIVE)  (Read 263848 times)

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
Re: [IC] Laser GMK - An 80's vs Cyberpunk Project
« Reply #400 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 10:32:31 »
Copy/pasted from Massdrop just for coverage...

"I've been following Laser here and on Geekhack, but I don't recall if this has been asked. In light of Yuri's DC kit, will you consider running a Colevrak kit? Honestly, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Laser over Yuri, but I'm concerned that if the Yuri DC kit fails, no one else will even try to offer one for GMK sets. If you'll offer a Colevrak kit without regard to Yuri's DC success or failure, I'll drop my Yuri purchase and pledge for at least 2 Colevrak kits."

Edit....
Mito replied on Massdrop so I'm going to copy/paste that here also so he doesn't have too...

"The Colevrak kit will be there, but it's important to note that as you can clearly see there's no demand for it. I will make it available, hopefully it tips!"
https://www.massdrop.com/talk/455/laser-gmk/1693976

Super stoked for Laser and a chance to have Laser with Colevrak support!
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 May 2017, 11:28:50 by elfick »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #401 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 11:25:28 »
Cool color scheme and legends. GL with the project.

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
« Reply #402 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 19:40:10 »
Looking forward to this!!! Time to sell some stuff.

Offline unluckyxiii

• Instagram
« Reply #403 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 21:36:44 »
Really nice! Hiragana is clean and nice but Gaijin is just wild fun! Hope to get this as my first set.

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
« Reply #404 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 17:17:00 »
Really nice! Hiragana is clean and nice but Gaijin is just wild fun! Hope to get this as my first set.
GMK as your first set? Skipping all those cheap keysets and go straight with the high-end option! Good stuff! :)

Offline madindehead

« Reply #405 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 08:21:02 »
GMK as your first set? Skipping all those cheap keysets and go straight with the high-end option! Good stuff! :)

Same here ;) This won't technically be the first set I buy, as I'm already on GMK Oblivion, but 2nd/3rd set. Gotta go high quality!

I showed this set to my girlfriend last night, and she loves it. So think I'm going to have to when it launches!

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #406 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 17:29:13 »
First of all, I love this set! Count me in, it's an instabuy! :D

I don't know of you're still taking suggestions for the novelties, but here are my 2 cents:
Show Image

● A small detail that is bothering me... wouldn't it be better if the Tachikoma's eyes (three dots) were centered instead of tilted? And maybe just a bit smaller? I had to read the description to notice what it was.

● Other suggestions for keycaps (some already contributed by other users):
- (80s) Logos from Atari, Commodore, MSX... if that's allowed
- (80s) Tron bike or recognizer
- (80s) Johnny 5 from Short Circuit - here is a quick sketch I've made with different expressions:

- (Cyberpunk) Robocop helmet / OCP logo
- (Cyberpunk) Kaneda bike / pill logo from Akira
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 May 2017, 04:52:49 by Endeavour1934 »

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #407 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 03:03:37 »
First of all, I love this set! Count me in, it's an instabuy! :D

I don't know of you're still taking suggestions for the novelties, but here are my 2 cents:
Show Image

● A small detail that is bothering me... wouldn't it be better if the Tachikoma's eyes (three dots) were centered instead of tilted? I had to read the description to notice what it was.

● Other suggestions for keycaps (some already contributed by other users):
- Logos from Atari, Commodore, MSX... if that's allowed
- Tron bike or recognizer
- Johnny 5 from Short Circuit - here is a quick sketch I've made with different expressions:
Show Image

- Robocop face
- Kaneda bike / pill logo from Akira
I too would die for a Robocop novelty

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #408 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 23:45:27 »
^
^
- (80s) Johnny 5 from Short Circuit - here is a quick sketch I've made with different expressions:
Show Image

I don't want to stomp on your idea, but doesn't this contain too main fine details to cast properly? Lest you forget, these have to be printed on a 1u...
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #409 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 04:43:59 »
I don't want to stomp on your idea, but doesn't this contain too main fine details to cast properly? Lest you forget, these have to be printed on a 1u...
I'm just throwing ideas around.

And about being too complex... well, it's just a quick mockup. But any keycap with a lot of text is just as complex: Print Screen key has lots of small details, tiny elements (the eye of the "e"), etc.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 May 2017, 04:50:38 by Endeavour1934 »

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #410 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 06:02:52 »
oh, wondering if there's an approximate ETA on this?

don't wanna have my budget already spent when this drops...

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #411 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 07:00:15 »
On a serious retro kick right now.  I must have this.   :cool:

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #412 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 10:28:57 »

Mito has been saying the end of Q2, so within the next month or so. I'm thinking it'll be the next big keyset drop on MD after Yuri finishes up.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #413 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 10:29:29 »

Mito has been saying the end of Q2, so within the next month or so. I'm thinking it'll be the next big keyset drop on MD after Yuri finishes up.

Nautilus is next, so it's probably still a little ways out.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Auk

« Reply #414 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 10:30:42 »
Carbon and Nautilus are next up after Yuri

Offline rioc

« Reply #415 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 10:32:03 »

Nautilus is next, so it's probably still a little ways out.

yeah... ok, I'm very sad I have to do this, but I'll have to skip nautilus then... to much bucks out the window already. (probably also have to skip SA Carbon R2... really bad timing of all this **** lately)

Offline Auk

« Reply #416 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 11:43:48 »
...really bad timing of all this **** lately

Definitely too much all at once to have everything. I've watched buys come and go for a few years, mostly not excited enough by anything with ISO support to buy. Finally ordered an ANSI board a month or so ago and and there is an avalanche of cool stuff including awesome keysets with ISO :))

It's a great time for anyone interested in keyboards.

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #417 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 11:53:19 »
Skipped Yuri in favor of this set and wil definitely skip any SP SA with at least 1 year estimate. Not sure about Nautilus though, but novelties will tell

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #418 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 21:42:07 »
^
^
Show Image

ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline digisax

« Reply #419 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 22:03:24 »
Skipped Yuri in favor of this set and wil definitely skip any SP SA with at least 1 year estimate. Not sure about Nautilus though, but novelties will tell

If you want SA without the ridiculous wait, SA Carbon has a pre-reserved spot in the production queue to get it out quicker.

Copy/pasted from Massdrop just for coverage...

"I've been following Laser here and on Geekhack, but I don't recall if this has been asked. In light of Yuri's DC kit, will you consider running a Colevrak kit? Honestly, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Laser over Yuri, but I'm concerned that if the Yuri DC kit fails, no one else will even try to offer one for GMK sets. If you'll offer a Colevrak kit without regard to Yuri's DC success or failure, I'll drop my Yuri purchase and pledge for at least 2 Colevrak kits."

Edit....
Mito replied on Massdrop so I'm going to copy/paste that here also so he doesn't have too...

"The Colevrak kit will be there, but it's important to note that as you can clearly see there's no demand for it. I will make it available, hopefully it tips!"
https://www.massdrop.com/talk/455/laser-gmk/1693976

Super stoked for Laser and a chance to have Laser with Colevrak support!

I want to see Laser get a Colevrak kit, but considering how Yuri's DC kit is doing I'm not getting my hopes up.
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline fouras

« Reply #420 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 06:09:42 »
Is there any hope of the pink arrows making it into the base kit? They really don't feel like novelties, and I don't think I can justify getting the kit only for them. I'd be happy to trade the caps lock novelties if that would make it viable.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 May 2017, 06:15:39 by fouras »

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #421 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 08:06:33 »
I like the gaijin alphas the most.

Are the gaijin alphas going to be double-shot fully? Or, are the shifted sublegends going to be printed?

My concern is if they are printed, some of the sublegends will wear out quicker.

The sublegends would last longer if front printed but im not sure if it would look as cool.

Offline rioc

« Reply #422 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 08:26:01 »

Are the gaijin alphas going to be double-shot fully? Or, are the shifted sublegends going to be printed?

My concern is if they are printed, some of the sublegends will wear out quicker.

The sublegends would last longer if front printed but im not sure if it would look as cool.

oh good you remembered me of asking this with your post:

I'm all for Hiragana only, but if the sublegends on gaijin are double-shot, I'd also be ok with that. Just no Pad Printing at all pls...
double-shot or double-bust!

Offline digisax

« Reply #423 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 09:16:05 »

oh good you remembered me of asking this with your post:

I'm all for Hiragana only, but if the sublegends on gaijin are double-shot, I'd also be ok with that. Just no Pad Printing at all pls...
double-shot or double-bust!

I definitely remembered him saying the Hiragana kits would be double shot no matter which Hiragana kit was the one to actually get produced.
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #424 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 10:11:20 »
Doubleshot 100%.

Offline rioc

« Reply #425 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 10:17:38 »
Doubleshot 100%.
That's good

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #426 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 11:04:04 »
I received fantastic news from GMK and will process the information for you next week. Really exciting stuff! I'll be narrowing down the Japanese poll to a 1v1 between the two most popular options like some of you suggested, and add another layer of security because people abused the vote in favor of their preffered options. In any case, we are close to 2,000 votes so the sample size is pretty good at this point. I'll be addressing to the most recent suggestions and feedback you've been sending next week as well. Thanks for coming by and participating in the interest check so far!

Offline Auk

« Reply #427 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 11:21:06 »
...people abused the vote in favor of their preferred options

Who would've thought: vote manipulation, on the Internet of all places. I'm shocked.

It doesn't have to be a democratic vote anyway, if it looks dubious just go with whichever you have the strongest feeling for.

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #428 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 11:54:13 »
COLEVRAK, please!  I want this kit so bad, but I only type on DV, so it would be really nice to have that kit.

Heck, I'd be happy with a blanks kit in these colors.  Probably just me, though.  /shrug
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #429 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 12:33:50 »
COLEVRAK, please!  I want this kit so bad, but I only type on DV, so it would be really nice to have that kit.

Heck, I'd be happy with a blanks kit in these colors.  Probably just me, though.  /shrug

I mean, COLEVRAK is currently active for the Yuri drop on MD and its numbers are very lacklustre - 48/100 MOQ with 14 hours left, it might still make it though if MD is willing to help put up the numbers and if they do then I can see Laser being able to offer it as well using the then already existing moulds.

Offline rioc

« Reply #430 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 12:43:20 »

vote for hiragana, then you can treat it as dvorak, or colemak or anything ;)

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #431 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 13:04:09 »

A valid point, actually.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline autobot

« Reply #432 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 13:45:08 »

Probably the best reason for hiragana! I use qwerty myself though, so I vote for it because it looks so clean!

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #433 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 14:25:51 »

I mean, COLEVRAK is currently active for the Yuri drop on MD and its numbers are very lacklustre - 48/100 MOQ with 14 hours left, it might still make it though if MD is willing to help put up the numbers and if they do then I can see Laser being able to offer it as well using the then already existing moulds.
JustCallMeCrash, MiTo has already confirmed DC/Colevrak support, see https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=89079.msg2428274#msg2428274
Vigrith, yah, numbers aren't great, but still higher than International and almost keeping up with community.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #434 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 22:44:38 »
I'm assuming any hopes of an additional JIS support kit are out the window? Even if those few are willing to pay the roughly 7 key premium?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #435 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 01:47:14 »
so... are the "CAPS LOCO" caps going to be pad printed, or is that just a MiTo-ism? I don't think GMK has tooling for those double-shot

Offline rioc

« Reply #436 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 06:32:58 »
really can't wait for this to drop

Offline Auk

« Reply #437 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 08:50:11 »
really can't wait for this to drop

I'm itching to hear what MiTo''s "fantastic news from GMK" is, a drop date? or something even more juicy?

Show Image

Now there's a novelty suggestion nobody wants  :eek:

« Reply #438 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 09:05:49 »
I'm hoping that it's good news about pricing since there are sooooo many new molds that need to be made for this set.

Offline t4nkd

« Reply #439 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 14:26:11 »
I wasn't feeling this a little bit ago but since then these neon colors have really grown on me, I think the blue background really sets this apart as a special set. I'd love to buy one :)

Offline jcc04

« Reply #440 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 17:02:01 »
Please add 2u R4 shift key for XD60 support!

Does GMK have a 2u shift

Pretty sure GMK mods are plenty, so yeah.

Offline ullr

« Reply #441 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 22:01:48 »
I'm assuming any hopes of an additional JIS support kit are out the window? Even if those few are willing to pay the roughly 7 key premium?

Well there is going to be a repoll, so Hiragana has a chance to win. If Gaijin wins, I think it is safe to say that JIS support is out of the question.

By my calculations, Gaijin would require at least fifteen additional caps to support both JIS and ANSI, whereas Hiragana only would require at three to four (Chōonpu, the correct む and ろ positions, and optionally a わ/を key) to not contradict the JIS layout.

I think GMK Yuri did it right, the Cyrillic kit was the Russian keyboard layout with additional keys to outfit ISO and ANSI layouts and it sold fine even though most people who bought it will probably never type Russian; but if anyone does want to type Russian it will suffice. I think it’s notable that Massdrop advertised their recent PBT Japanese set as good for people who want to learn the language. No doubt there will be some disappointed buyers who get their caps and realize that their new caps won’t work because Japanese people don’t use ANSI keyboards.

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #442 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 00:28:35 »

If you want SA without the ridiculous wait, SA Carbon has a pre-reserved spot in the production queue to get it out quicker.

Estimated ship date is Mar 22, 2018. -- Well, technically it is less than a year, but still too long for me. The SA Strong Spirit wait time has almost undone it for me.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #443 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 01:12:08 »

Well there is going to be a repoll, so Hiragana has a chance to win. If Gaijin wins, I think it is safe to say that JIS support is out of the question.

By my calculations, Gaijin would require at least fifteen additional caps to support both JIS and ANSI, whereas Hiragana only would require at three to four (Chōonpu, the correct む and ろ positions, and optionally a わ/を key) to not contradict the JIS layout.

I think GMK Yuri did it right, the Cyrillic kit was the Russian keyboard layout with additional keys to outfit ISO and ANSI layouts and it sold fine even though most people who bought it will probably never type Russian; but if anyone does want to type Russian it will suffice. I think it’s notable that Massdrop advertised their recent PBT Japanese set as good for people who want to learn the language. No doubt there will be some disappointed buyers who get their caps and realize that their new caps won’t work because Japanese people don’t use ANSI keyboards.
Why do Hiragana and Gaijin deviate from JIS in the first place?

Offline nephiel

« Reply #444 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 01:14:43 »
The Euro kit is missing at least ç and ñ to support Spanish layout. Also <> but the Base kit has a <>| key, it could do.
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline rioc

« Reply #445 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 02:16:08 »
The Euro kit is missing at least ç and ñ to support Spanish layout. Also <> but the Base kit has a <>| key, it could do.

Oh the struggle, Swiss German will never get support in international kits... that's why I'm all for hiragana set, it doesn't matter then.

Sent from my toilet using Snapchat.

Offline rioc

« Reply #446 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 02:18:41 »

Why does gaijin option even exist in the first place?

Offline pomk

« Reply #447 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 03:10:27 »

Because in america there is a large population who cannot touch type, but like the pleasing aesthetic of 'moon runes'. I would not call it a gaijin set, but instead a weeaboo set (as it serves no practical purpose).  :))

Offline rioc

« Reply #448 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 03:22:56 »

Because in america there is a large population who cannot touch type, but like the pleasing aesthetic of 'moon runes'. I would not call it a gaijin set, but instead a weeaboo set (as it serves no practical purpose).  :))

No learning touch-typing in elementary school there then?

Offline ..//dexx

« Reply #449 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 03:52:43 »

No learning touch-typing in elementary school there then?

Not everyone is fortunate. I'm a bit of a touch typist, I do need to look down every now and then. And luckily, I can read Hiragana.