Author Topic: Alternative PC "desk" based on warehouse or server racks  (Read 2781 times)

Offline timon37

Alternative PC "desk" based on warehouse or server racks
« on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 11:41:24 »
Hi everyone,

A few years ago I had an idea: "what if I skipped a desk, got a server rack on wheels instead, and just attached everything to it?"
Now those are expensive so I didn't do that, instead I got the cheapest warehouse-style racks I could get.
This was the end result before I had to dismantle it (moving between countries)

Honestly I don't know yet if I'll reassemble it and/or continue with the concept (depends on unpredictable life events).
Posting it mostly "just in case" someone's thinking about alternatives like it and gets inspired to do something better.

There's a bunch of other ideas and designs that I was thinking about originally, this one mostly just happened (started as simple as possible, then evolved on an as needed basis).
For example: have the rack to my side and attach monitors to it using mostly standard wall mounts or something like that, then maybe it'd be easier to have it 3 way standing/sitting/lying-back.

Offline pr0ximity

Re: Alternative PC "desk" based on warehouse or server racks
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 19:21:18 »
I really like the modularity of it, and tailoring it to your specific needs. I always find desks are too high for me and have to either chop their legs or get an adjustable desk. Seems with this you can basically design it with industrial-strength Legos!
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 19:42:09 »
so i take it you're just using the hardware to provide heat instead of the radiator you put it in front of? :D
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline timon37

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 11:18:19 »
@pr0ximity
Yeah it went through many many changes over the last 3 years (unfortunately undocumented since I didn't have a camera).
I also found that just in the sitting position I would change the height of the table quite often (without touching the monitors) because shifted the way I sit, and naturally for eating I would bring it up quite a bit.

@sth
Oh yeah I compile a lot so the heating's redundant. But actually it's more about blocking the sun rays, they remind me too much of what it's like to have a life;p

Offline pr0ximity

| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline timon37

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 15:42:46 »
So, funny evolution happened. I had to make this abomination mobile...
It actually kinda worked, moved it a bunch of times (usually alone).
But again I'll be disassembling it soonish so made a rough video documenting the state.

Right now, I'm slowly working towards a fully integrated "mobile multi-pc chair"... I think that will finally actually be something somewhat sensible;)
Note when I say mobile I mean that I can somehow get it in my van, not that I can take it on a plane;p