Author Topic: Hi, and please point me to some crash course.  (Read 2918 times)

Offline seva1385

Hi, and please point me to some crash course.
« on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 15:06:32 »
Hi geeks!

I have been lurking on the forum ever since I discovered Kinesis Advantage four years ago and started to experiment with modifying it (thanks Michael Stapelberg for paving the way.)
Presently, however, I injured my left hand and won't be able to type with it for months and months. This is the time to try Maltron one handed, I decided.
It will be even better with QMK firmware; but I need to replace Maltron controller, which, to my knowledge, was never done, or at least published, before.
And even (if and when) my hand heals, I may still have one hand dedicated to typing and another to coffee mug pointing device, which opportunity always intrigued me.

Though I do have the minimal skills in digital electronics, I could very much use a crash course on building keyboards, in particular. Of all places on Earth, this is the best for such a thing; so, please help me!

Kinesis Advantage2

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline seva1385

OK, found one that suits me
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 12:58:49 »
By Matteo Spinelli: https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/brownfox-step-by-step-t6050.html.
He also started a "book" on the subject, but that seems to be far from completion.

Also, Michal Trybus has a decent half-guide: http://blog.komar.be/how-to-make-a-keyboard-the-matrix/
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 June 2017, 14:14:27 by seva1385 »
Kinesis Advantage2

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: Hi, and please point me to some crash course.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 12:50:56 »
Welcome :)

I've been typing with 1 hand for about 15 years now, being able to remap keys will help significantly.

Currently using TMK on my Hasu HHKB.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline seva1385

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 18:06:12 »
I feel so welcomed. Thank you!

I considered remapping my Kinesis, even used foot pedal as layer switcher, but that rendered less than optimal with QWERTY layout. I would need radical remapping, making all letters dual-purpose modifiers and most symbols multikey sequences (impossible with commercial Kinesis controller)... Kinesis with its 28+6 keys per hand seems just a little too short on key count. Might still try that, but got more interested in Maltron (48 finger keys + 14 in thumb cluster, woo-hoo!). Found some guides, ordered well-used Maltron off eBay (arrives today,) and got in touch with sales representative who is working on a price quote on a kit for me. This deserves a thread of its own if I get anywhere with it.

HHKB is sure a venerable board, but I fell in love with ortholinear columns, thumb clusters, and keywells; if I didn't, I would likely settle on a smaller keyboard with single-handed Dvorak.
Kinesis Advantage2

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 00:15:55 »
Welcome. Hope you find a board to your liking.

Offline seva1385

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 11:21:33 »
Thank you!

I received a RH Maltron and am typing on it presently (very slowly, worse than pecking on a small QWERTY) Will write a review eventually. Not sure if I agree with placement of the U and I in the thumb cluster, or arrow navigation keys; perhaps. What ticks me off,rendering the keyboard rather unusable with programming editor, is the behavior of ALT and Control: they act as toggles thus defeating the purpose of a shortcut. Most keys are easily reachable with my average sized hands, even ESC which is on the second pinky column five rows above home. Perhaps I need to keep my palm in the air when typing; there is barely enough space there to rest one's palm, and thumb cluster is low so it makes sense to jab with the thumb from above. MX black switches feel OK though I am used to browns.

In other words, I still like my Kinesis best, but this might come close second (and while my left  hand is out of commission the only.) Ergonomics is fantastic. Controller needs to be replaced though.
Kinesis Advantage2

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 02:02:12 »
Give Maltron a shout.  They do have a programmable controller that might work for you.  They could probably fit it for you if the work is too awkward for you with one hand, but it's really for them to say that.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline seva1385

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 13:54:26 »
Are you referring to project Bespoke? That uses Teensy. I had productive conversation with Maltron salesperson, but yet did not receive a quote on a kit for RH like that.
Kinesis Advantage2

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 15:53:24 »
Yeah, I think so. 
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0