Author Topic: SA Keycaps  (Read 3714 times)

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith
SA Keycaps
« on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 23:22:39 »
I really like SA key caps, but the issues is there are only 2 different colorways that I actually like. Wondering if there are any other key caps that are the same profile, but have a little more variety?

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: SA Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 23:29:17 »
I really like SA key caps, but the issues is there are only 2 different colorways that I actually like. Wondering if there are any other key caps that are the same profile, but have a little more variety?

Have you checked out Max keys?

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 23:41:19 »
no I have not. Main concern is the profile. Wanting to keep they style of SA but dont mind Chinese or alt brand . Does MAX keys have the SA profile ?

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 00:38:49 »
no I have not. Main concern is the profile. Wanting to keep they style of SA but dont mind Chinese or alt brand . Does MAX keys have the SA profile ?

Yes; IIRC they bought SP's old molds.

Here's an example GB for SA keycaps that Maxkey is running (and is currently active, till the 25th of July it looks like, per their first post): https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90408.0
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 00:40:50 »

Yep. Same exact Profile.

Offline LiamOS

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 10:05:33 »
Maxkeys overall profile differs from SP.
Maxkeys does rows 1,1,2,3,4,3, i.e. bottom row is row 3.
I'm not 100%, but I think SP uses row 4 keys for bottom row, and maybe something else.

For me I love this, since I can get those delicious 1.25 row 3 keys for actual row 3.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 July 2017, 11:53:25 by LiamOS »

Offline zslane

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 16:03:29 »
1. MaxKeys did not buy SA molds from Signature Plastics. Consensus holds that they bought SA molds from the French branch of the old Comtec company.

2. Row profiles are up to the keyset designer. Neither MaxKeys nor SP places limitations in this regard. A 1-1-2-3-4-4 profile, for example, is a design choice, not a production constraint.

What this means is that MaxKeys can make the same SA keycap sets that SP can, subject to their willingness to make custom legends at a reasonable cost. Bear in mind, however, that unless MaxKeys sources their plastic from the same vendor(s) as SP, colors will not be identical.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 21:51:07 »
UKKeycaps has a K-series, which I think is similar.

You might ask them if there are to be any new sets produced.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 17:11:21 »
Wasn't UK Keycaps trying to rework things with the K-series caps?  The manufacturer was having issues with color accuracy from what I recall.