Author Topic: Not..my job... I'm big and so sometimes people expect me to act like police..  (Read 3479 times)

Offline atarione

man... I work all day it is hot as ballz ..so I figure **** it I'm going to the HOA pool and swim some laps..

everything is going swimmingly  ;D .... then for some reason some crazy person (how does this crazy person have money to live here?? / pay HOA fees????..whatever..) starts going off on the girl monitoring the pool..

at first it seems under control..   so I stay in water, but stop swimming laps to keep an eye on the situation.. then it escalates.. and the girl asks me for help.. which fair enough I was already getting out of water to try to protect her anyways..

But... I mean I get it sort of, I stand 6'2" and weight 250lbs (mostly muscle... ???) I'm pretty big...I have some "training" in combat type stuff,  and I carry myself as such... but this isn't my god damn job and it happens a lot where people just expect me to get in the middle of some nonsense and establish order because I'm big...

as you can see (by my being alive to type this) crazy person was much much smaller than me and backed the **** off when I told them to knock it off and got in between the girl and them..   

I'm torn as I would always try to protect someone if I can..but I could have gotten stabbed or this person could have tried to harm me in some other way...  I would have kicked their ass honestly, but it would have been a hassle...  Sometimes I kinda resent the fact people expect me to step into the middle of some mess that ain't mine..

still don't understand how this **** stick can afford to live here?? meh....

I guess I'm going to the next HOA meeting to find out what the actual **** is going on with this person?   Also on the upside they don't seem to live particularly close to me..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Don't play the hero.  This is america.  people have guns.   too many kids do drugs these days, road usually opened to them through perscription opiods..

An unstable mind given a vendetta is not worth it.

However big you are,  you're flesh..   

Offline atarione

Don't play the hero.  This is america.  people have guns.   too many kids do drugs these days, road usually opened to them through perscription opiods..

An unstable mind given a vendetta is not worth it.

However big you are,  you're flesh..   

I mean this is pretty much why I resent stuff like this... but honestly I'd rather be in the ground than not come to the defense of some lady in harms way like the little pool monitor girl ...

It does, kinda suck because it is pretty risky as people are seriously crazy sometimes..    but as long as I'm physically capable I'll probably always come to the aid of someone in danger ...even at risk to myself...   especially a lady /girl... just what you do where I'm from..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter

I mean this is pretty much why I resent stuff like this... but honestly I'd rather be in the ground than not come to the defense of some lady in harms way like the little pool monitor girl ...

It does, kinda suck because it is pretty risky as people are seriously crazy sometimes..    but as long as I'm physically capable I'll probably always come to the aid of someone in danger ...even at risk to myself...   especially a lady /girl... just what you do where I'm from..

You have to be more careful with this type of reasoning.

For example,   if you could save only 1 person,  a mathematician or a baby..    who would you save.

They are not equals..

Any woman can produce another baby in 9 months.

There are only ~ 200 - 300 thousand mathmaticians in the entire world out of 7.5 billion..   0.004% ..

They make 130 million babies a year..  do not save the baby.

So many stars have to align for humanity to produce another mathematician,

the baby would have to be interested in math, have middle class or upper class parents, live in mostly developed countries..  etc..  Years and Years of schooling..

So, in circumstances where you can not properly deduce the value of YOUR LIFE, vs any ONE OTHER person,   you should  Not attempt to save them..

If you could for example save 2 or more people by sacrificing yourself,   then That may be worth it in most cases..

But 1 to 1, there is too little guarantee that that person was worth saving.. Especially given the fact that your attempt may fail, killing you both.

In the case that YOU ARE a mathematician/ phd of (sciences)...   SAVE YOURSELF, walk away.

Offline atarione

can't do it... I have the training and skillz to defend myself or others ... I don't go outta my way looking for trouble..but in this situation I was pretty much the only person that could assist this girl and I feel obliged by my God and my nature to protect her..

I didn't escalate the situation and since they didn't lay hands on me I didn't touch or harm them...nor did I wish to... I just felt obliged to protect the girl...

in this particular case I'm not even that bothered.. she did ask for help but I was already on my way to help anyways..   It is hard to explain... if you are big~ish there is a certain expectation sometimes that you'll intervene in things that don't entirely concern you and that intervening in isn't your job... but people will still expect it to some extent...  I don't know if I'm explaining it right or not?

but nobody is going to expect a 5'2" 90lbs dude to step into some thing like this...but being over 6' and over 200lbs suddenly it is your job to restore order.

on the upside... the girl was unharmed and no other person harmed either...

meh.. noblesse oblige of being bigger I guess???

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
So to save a hair on your left arm,  you would risk your entire right arm ?

For you to save any one lady from a crazy guy , is probably low risk.    Which is why you could casually say that, you're obliged.

My only point is, you need to evaluate risk more cautiously and not rush in with inane chivalry.

Your lizard brain (mid-brain)  is telling you,  save the girl,  she might have sex with you,   

Use your Pre-frontal Cortex (fore-brain)..   You can go to work for 8 hours, buy a girl dinner and have equal probability of receiving sex..    that sex wasn't worth the risk of your life.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
SO, to clarify,  yes we should save people

Jump on the grenade,  save the platoon,  always 100% ..

But in the case where the person in front of you is of unknown value and you're up against enemy of unknown risk,   do not be rash.. take some time to evaluate the probability of save success, risk, value of save.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
how does this crazy person have money to live here?? / pay HOA fees????..whatever..
Crazy is not an indicator of wealth or lack of it, eccentric just means "crazy but has money". See Howard Hughes as an example.

Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
6'2'? Pfff, shortarse :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls

Offline atarione

FeelsBadMan

:)  ... for various reasons.. (demographics?) I'm actually pretty tall here.. but I didn't mean to imply I was particularly tall..   Some places in Europe I was seriously thinking WTF do these people eat as kids or whatever..because some tall people

In a fight a taller opponent isn't that big of a problem if one has technique ... for that matter a knife or gun isn't great.. but it is manageable threat ..depending on circumstances..

Offline iri

hello Dutch person
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Shapey Fiend

When you're male and a decent height a lot of people are way more deferential than if you're not. You're benefiting from this on a daily basis in your interactions with other people so there's something to be said for letting other people benefit from it too. Now I don't think that means you need to get stabbed over it. Standing between two strangers in an altercation is a lot. I think standing within talking distance and being unconfrontational is the way to go because especially if you're big you shouldn't need to say anything too direct.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 July 2017, 06:53:33 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
I pulled a little kid out of a riptide years ago while I was out surfing. There are no lifeguards on that beach so I kind of understand the idea of wanting to be there just in case something happens.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
I pulled a little kid out of a riptide years ago while I was out surfing. There are no lifeguards on that beach so I kind of understand the idea of wanting to be there just in case something happens.

You've messed with evolution for the last time..

hahahahah.. just kidding.. good job csmertx..

Offline iri

But how big are you?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
But how big are you?

Oh right, sorry: ~6' (183cm) and ~220lbs (100kg)

Offline error404fnf

whether you are big or small, there will probably always be a situation where someone needs help, whether you act or not is your own personal choice, as it is your life you would be risking. no one should be allowed to say it's your job or responsibility.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Offline atarione

When you're male and a decent height a lot of people are way more deferential than if you're not. You're benefiting from this on a daily basis in your interactions with other people so there's something to be said for letting other people benefit from it too. Now I don't think that means you need to get stabbed over it. Standing between two strangers in an altercation is a lot. I think standing within talking distance and being unconfrontational is the way to go because especially if you're big you shouldn't need to say anything too direct.

actually fair enough... I guess I kinda forget ..but I rarely have a hard time getting people to listen to what I have to say.. / dismiss me out of hand in general people stay out of my way as I'm coming through ..

I suppose being big~ish and a dude is not without it's advantages...

great now I have to check my +6ft privilege also??   I assume some SJW's will want me to hunch down all the time now..??  :)