Author Topic: KIRA keyboards  (Read 138640 times)

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
Re: KIRA keyboards
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 21:34:02 »
Will the upcoming kira models like the kira 75 have the new weight design? really like it!

The 75 prototyping stage is already done and it has the stars and sun weight design, which will stay as is. The TKL will probably be the first board to be run as a group buy with the new weight.

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 22:40:31 »
Will the upcoming kira models like the kira 75 have the new weight design? really like it!

The 75 prototyping stage is already done and it has the stars and sun weight design, which will stay as is. The TKL will probably be the first board to be run as a group buy with the new weight.

Does this mean the TKL will run before the EX?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 00:21:13 »

Does this mean the TKL will run before the EX?

That is the schedule we currently have, yes.

Offline Mousy

• I <3 tootall
    • IG
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 23:51:40 »
Really excited to hear that the TKL will be running next as I love the aesthetic of your current boards and especially the TKL one! I know that it is currently in the prototype stage and the PCB is being done but is there a rough time scale on when it will be ready assuming no issues :)
- White Kira 60 | Black Kira 60 | TGR Jane v2? -

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:43:29 »
Really excited to hear that the TKL will be running next as I love the aesthetic of your current boards and especially the TKL one! I know that it is currently in the prototype stage and the PCB is being done but is there a rough time scale on when it will be ready assuming no issues :)

Also eagerly awaiting the TKL - those angles :p

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:33:29 »
I'm a big fan of the 75% side angles and overall design.  That red spacer is pretty snazzy too.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 03:12:06 »

Thanks! The TKL prototype hasn't actually started production, probably next week! PCB should be compatible with Leeku's, but we're looking into having our own designed too. For the TKL GB, it's up to beamingrobot. I'm not sure if he's willing to do overlapping buys, so I can't really say since we haven't really finalized any schedules.

Also eagerly awaiting the TKL - those angles :p

Thanks, glad you like it!

I'm a big fan of the 75% side angles and overall design.  That red spacer is pretty snazzy too.

I have to say the 75% is currently my favorite too. I wasn't sure it will look good although I was thinking it should, but when I saw the prototype in person I loved it! :)

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 07:10:43 »
Finally finished doing the CAD for the TKL (I hope), so I'll be going ahead with prototype production soon™.

Offline Mousy

• I <3 tootall
    • IG
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 07:22:46 »
Finally finished doing the CAD for the TKL (I hope), so I'll be going ahead with prototype production soon.

Show Image

So. Much. Want. Definitely going to be down for this when it's out!

Offline Anaconda

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 09:36:39 »

So will the 75 be the next for a group buy?

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:20:33 »
Finally finished doing the CAD for the TKL (I hope), so I'll be going ahead with prototype production soon™.

Show Image

Any price estimate for this bad boi?!

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:47:21 »

Show Image

+1, there's so many tkls coming out soon I don't know what to choose

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 19:01:46 »

The current plan is the TKL next, after the EXS. It can change, but it's not really solely up to me.

Show Image

I don't even have a quote for the prototype yet  :))

Here are more mock-ups, showing the back:

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 19:05:15 »

The current plan is the TKL next, after the EXS. It can change, but it's not really solely up to me.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Diffuser/alu middle? Single piece or double piece case?

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 19:05:38 »
Very nice! Any possibility of seeing the numpad if that’s still going to be an option

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 19:10:23 »
Very nice! Any possibility of seeing the numpad if that’s still going to be an option

Yeah... I mean I can just shorten the KIRA60 model (I think) and then it's done. For visuallization purposes anyway  :))

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 19:23:04 »
Amazing! Would be cool to see them side by side

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 20:19:37 »

Sorry I missed this question, there's no diffuser or aluminum middle insert. I don't think it fits the design, a middle insert will break the facets and distract from the design rather than complement it.

It's a 4-piece kit; a top, bottom, switch plate, and weight.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 20:20:46 »

Sorry I missed this question, there's no diffuser or aluminum middle insert. I don't think it fits the design, a middle insert will break the facets and distract from the design rather than complement it.

It's a 4-piece kit; a top, bottom, switch plate, and weight.

Sweet, I just want a red top x black bottom lol

Offline Mousy

• I <3 tootall
    • IG
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 12:07:03 »

Show Image

Show Image

Holy.... the angles are just so damn clean going to move heaven and earth to try and get my hands on one of these!

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 07:03:10 »
I know it was asked earlier in the thread, but I did you settle on ISO support for these upcoming projects? Mainly interested in the Kira96 and the TKL. Love the looks of these boards.

Thanks!

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 06:48:27 »
I know it was asked earlier in the thread, but I did you settle on ISO support for these upcoming projects? Mainly interested in the Kira96 and the TKL. Love the looks of these boards.

Thanks!

I'm considering adding a universal plate along with an ANSI plate for the TKL.

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 10:10:31 »

Thanks!

I'm so in if that's the case! Thanks for the reply. Didn't make the top 30 for Kira60, so better luck this time  :)

Offline Mousy

• I <3 tootall
    • IG
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 10:34:37 »
I'm assuming the KiraTKL will be available in the same colours as the Kira60 was? Would be an insane pair

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #174 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 11:37:39 »

Thanks!

I'm so in if that's the case! Thanks for the reply. Didn't make the top 30 for Kira60, so better luck this time  :)

Better luck next time! I hope you'll like the TKL when the prototype arrives  :thumb:

I'm assuming the KiraTKL will be available in the same colours as the Kira60 was? Would be an insane pair

This is very likely :)

Offline mudcakehoney

KIRA keyboards
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 12:21:57 »
Just a suggestion, but It would be nice to see 1 more colour make its way in to the mix for the TKL, maybe a nice orange or green or blue. That custom green Kira60 looked so good!

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 12:33:56 »
Just a suggestion, but It would be nice to see 1 more colour make its way in to the mix for the TKL, maybe a nice orange or green or blue. That custom green Kira60 looked so good!

I agree, and good green anodizing is rare. Plus a fresh round of terminal is soon.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 13:01:41 »
Can I vote for metal-inspired anodizing colors, like rose gold, copper, bronze, pewter?  I mentioned it in the EXS IC, but I think those are great for layered case options.  "Space gray" is a relatively good approximation of stainless steel, so I'm glad it was an option for EXS (would be even more interesting in a brushed finish rather than sandblasted.) In general some less common and less pure colors would be cool.

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 14:37:30 »

I agree, and good green anodizing is rare. Plus a fresh round of terminal is soon.

Agreed! A dark green would be really nice and doesn't seem to be offered very often. Personally I'm also biased towards one of my favorite colors which is burgundy. GMK Red Samurai anyone? :)

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 22:14:42 »

I also support the idea of less common colors!

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 05:50:03 »
More

Thanks!

I've asked for a universal plate prototype, it's my first time trying to make it so I hope everything fits  :))

For the colors, we'll just have to discuss that next time. It adds a lot of work for color matching and quality assurance and the factory found multiple colors to be too problematic. It's hard when most people that are voting choose the safer colors most of the time. I'll have to talk to beamingrobot about this next time.

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 14:51:48 »
More

Thanks!

I've asked for a universal plate prototype, it's my first time trying to make it so I hope everything fits  :))

For the colors, we'll just have to discuss that next time. It adds a lot of work for color matching and quality assurance and the factory found multiple colors to be too problematic. It's hard when most people that are voting choose the safer colors most of the time. I'll have to talk to beamingrobot about this next time.

Great news about the plate! Let's hope it works out :D As for the colors, that makes sense. I'm sure it will look good in any color though!

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
KIRA keyboards
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 15:09:44 »
Also, just for the record, BeamingRobots factory produces the nicest boards I’ve seen.

I was kind of amazed by the Kira60, there were so many hard edges without a mark or occlusion. Plus there are a few different curves and all are perfect. The anodizing is great. My favorite is the brass plates tho. Somehow my kira plate weighs an extra ounce over my Leandren plates. And the cuts and blasted finish are perfect.

My favorite part of the design that I hadn’t even noticed in the renders is the little flare out on the top left/right corners.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 March 2018, 15:11:31 by Amnesia »

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #183 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 21:47:16 »
Reworked KIRA75 (improved anodizing and color change)

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 21:55:34 »

That is hands down, some of the best pink anodizing I've ever seen.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #185 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 22:30:33 »

Nice!  That is a most vivid shade of pink!  Love the gray.  Is this the same gray as for KIRA EXS?  Looks darker, but can't be sure.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #186 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 22:57:16 »

Nice!  That is a most vivid shade of pink!  Love the gray.  Is this the same gray as for KIRA EXS?  Looks darker, but can't be sure.

This is a darker grey. Here's a comparison with my black prototype:

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 23:31:10 »

This is a darker grey. Here's a comparison with my black prototype:

Good, I thought so (I like the space gray of EXS)!  Looking snazzy though.

Offline DukeMugen

• +1
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 00:08:21 »
KABAYAN!

This TKL board looks amazing! looking forward to getting this!
BTW, I'm here in Singapore too working as a creative designer.
Let me know if I can help you with anything :)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

let me check my wallet.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #189 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 01:02:40 »
Got the EX prototype, waiting for the new PCBs. It has the KIRA weight.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #190 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 01:16:56 »
Got the EX prototype, waiting for the new PCBs. It has the KIRA weight.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline Mousy

• I <3 tootall
    • IG
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 01:19:02 »
That weight is stunning I'm so excited!!!

Offline MNICI

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 07:47:43 »
Any price estimates on EX model? Time to start saving up...

P.S. I know it's probably too late to make corrections, but IMO it would be better to separate F-row on EX to differentiate it from EXS.
192429-0
KIRA EXX anyone?
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 08:17:24 by MNICI »
meh.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #193 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 08:18:53 »
Boards made/planned and current status:

KIRA EX : 96-key layout with spacing between arrow keys and numpad, 2nd prototype under production

KIRA EXS : KIRA EX with Slimmer bezels, prototypes finished, GB soon

KIRA75: 75% keyboard, prototypes done and PCB prototypes currently being redesigned for qmk

KIRA60: group buy kits shipped out

Are all of these going through I:C?  Just curious.  And will there be a wider GB of the KIRA60?

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #194 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 15:19:09 »

KIRA EX : 96-key layout with spacing between arrow keys and numpad, 2nd prototype under production

KIRA75: 75% keyboard, prototypes done and PCB prototypes currently being redesigned for qmk

Are all of these going through I:C?  Just curious.  And will there be a wider GB of the KIRA60?
none of them are going through I:C, these are made by beamingrobot and are leagues better quality

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 15:24:47 »

none of them are going through I:C, these are made by beamingrobot and are leagues better quality

I knew he had done the limited run of KIRA60 through beamingrobot, but hadn't see if he was going to expand that, and if not, if beamingrobot even had the capacity for GB's of that size.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 15:53:46 »

I knew he had done the limited run of KIRA60 through beamingrobot, but hadn't see if he was going to expand that, and if not, if beamingrobot even had the capacity for GB's of that size.
I think beamingrobot stated somewhere that he doesn't plan on making more than 30 or so at a time
idk if there will be more through someone else

Offline mudcakehoney

KIRA keyboards
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 17:27:03 »
As far as I’m aware the Kira60, EXS, TKL, EX, 75 etc are thesiscamper's custom boards made to extremely high quality with customiseable colours, plates etc. They intend to run Limited GB’s of up to 30 in a raffle format and not re run them ever or at least for a long while.

The input club Kira is going to be a Kickstarter that’s run by I:C and will have a much larger MOQ or maybe even an unlimited production over a certain time period so will be more accessible to the masses and those who have been wanting a Kira kb but have missed out on the preceding GB’s. I can’t say whether the board will have the same quality of materials and heft, but I’m sure the guys will be able to clarify this all for you before too long.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 22:36:47 by mudcakehoney »

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 17:48:10 »
Will the EXS drop before the I:C model?

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #199 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 17:50:35 »
Will the EXS drop before the I:C model?
The EXS GB has already run and should be in/close to production by now