Author Topic: Kailh Box White Typing Sound (Click Bar) (Awesome)  (Read 8571 times)

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

Kailh Box White Typing Sound (Click Bar) (Awesome)
« on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 22:04:40 »

These are low key, end game switches.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Kailh Box White Typing Sound (Click Bar) (Awesome)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 01:06:05 »
That's mostly the keycaps you're hearing, but I agree, it's a good sound :D .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 01:21:47 »

I love them so much! I saw your tear-down video of them, you should build a board and do a typing test soon   :D

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 01:38:55 »

I love them so much! I saw your tear-down video of them, you should build a board and do a typing test soon   :D
Some additional solder is already on its way :)) .

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 01:42:57 »

Some additional solder is already on its way :)) .

Woo!

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 09:04:01 »
I have one here too and i like them very much. But a bit too soft for my taste. Unfortunately the spring is not a normal MX spring (it's smaller, both in length and diameter) so finding a replacement one should not be that easy.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 09:19:31 »
I love the sound of these but I wish they were more tactile.

I've heard that the Speed Bronze have a slightly bassy click but I can't hear any difference with loose switches.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 21:51:02 »
Good lord those sound amazing. Anybody got a link to that tear down / comparison video?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 21:54:38 »
Now I was planning to do this, but has anyone compared these to SA on MX blues?  Weird question, I know, but I have SA on MX blues and it is terrible.  Angled press on sculptured caps sometimes almost binds and the key wont press down.

Maybe a better way to ask is... has anyone tried fully sculptured SA on MX blues and found it terrible?  Also, with box white, do you notice any issues when pressing highly curved SA rows like the top function row?
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 August 2017, 22:21:59 by reececonrad »

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 23:11:39 »
Now I was planning to do this, but has anyone compared these to SA on MX blues?  Weird question, I know, but I have SA on MX blues and it is terrible.  Angled press on sculptured caps sometimes almost binds and the key wont press down.

Maybe a better way to ask is... has anyone tried fully sculptured SA on MX blues and found it terrible?  Also, with box white, do you notice any issues when pressing highly curved SA rows like the top function row?

I am not a fan of SA on Mx Blues, but these feel really crisp, and awesome!
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 August 2017, 23:44:24 by sam0s »

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 01:20:41 »
Good lord those sound amazing. Anybody got a link to that tear down / comparison video?

Timecode is like 4mins and 20secs

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 11:19:26 »
Timecode is like 4mins and 20secs

Hell yeah, thanks

Offline Partyschaum

• GitHub
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 11:42:51 »

I have a Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Double Shot Keycaps from Filco on Cherry MX Blues. I'm not sure if those keycaps count as "fully sculptured SA" (enlighten me please) but I've no problems pressing any of my keys.

175702-0
175704-1

And forget the red O-rings. I tried them out but they've no effect since the keycap's stem is way to long.  ;D

Not sure if the sound is good enough for a comparison but I've made a video with my iPhone...

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 13:58:22 »
By fully sculptured I mean having all of the row profiles available for SA.  I have a few Sa sets but I didn't think to try the filco ones.  I believe they are R3 with the exception of the top two rows.  I'll give it a shot and report back if I notice a difference.

May just be the coolermaster board I have has a crappy set of blues on it

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 18:29:03 »
The real question is: click bar or Gatistotle?
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 21:12:06 »

I have both on hand.  Click bar is by far more interesting and satisfying.  They could stand to be like 5g heavier, but they are pretty darn nice.

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 21:26:09 »

I have both on hand.  Click bar is by far more interesting and satisfying.  They could stand to be like 5g heavier, but they are pretty darn nice.

Click bar master race!

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 23:59:51 »

If you want them heavier you should try the Novelkeys x Kailh Box Pale Blue. Same switch with 60g instead of 50g and a pale blue stem instead of white.
Or you could just take the spring out of the Box Black and put it in the Box White, that's a workaround for the non-existing separate heavier springs.

Offline f32h80fsd08h34r5

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 00:04:57 »

If you want them heavier you should try the Novelkeys x Kailh Box Pale Blue. Same switch with 60g instead of 50g and a pale blue stem instead of white.
Or you could just take the spring out of the Box Black and put it in the Box White, that's a workaround for the non-existing separate heavier springs.

They already feel quite heavy to me! Lol

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 00:29:02 »

Yes, I just realized that I have one of the heavy blues in a sampler pack.  For some reason, it feels much closer to 80g than 60g though.  My favorite is the speed bronze.  The click bar without the box and a shorter travel (1.2mm).  I just pulled the trigger and ordered 100 off of novelkeys.  I need a frequent buyer card from that dude as much as I've been buying, lol. 

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 01:36:44 »

Yes, I just realized that I have one of the heavy blues in a sampler pack.  For some reason, it feels much closer to 80g than 60g though.  My favorite is the speed bronze.  The click bar without the box and a shorter travel (1.2mm).  I just pulled the trigger and ordered 100 off of novelkeys.  I need a frequent buyer card from that dude as much as I've been buying, lol.

The speed bronze are not bad too, but i think i prefer the box. Don't know how it would be on a full board, tried it only on a switch tester. The Box seems to significantly reduce keycap wobble. I also like the bottoming out sound, it seems much quieter, comparable to the speed bronze with o-rings.

That's all personal preference. They are good, but i would prefer them a tiny bit heavier. 
I don't have the pale blues here, so i tried it with box white switch with box black spring. Like it way more than the stock box white.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 01:44:51 »

The speed bronze are not bad too, but i think i prefer the box. Don't know how it would be on a full board, tried it only on a switch tester. The Box seems to significantly reduce keycap wobble. I also like the bottoming out sound, it seems much quieter, comparable to the speed bronze with o-rings.

That's all personal preference. They are good, but i would prefer them a tiny bit heavier. 
I don't have the pale blues here, so i tried it with box white switch with box black spring. Like it way more than the stock box white.

I know what you mean about wobble.  In my specific case, I prefer the speed bronze because they allow more wobble.  My problem is using the top two rows of SA keycaps...  because of the sculpture of the top few rows, I often end up pressing near the top of the keycap instead of dead center.  With low wobble stems like Cherry and the Khail box, it actually sometimes keeps the switch from actuating and adds a little bind to the top of the keystroke that you have to press hard to overcome.  The bronze don't seem to have this issue, but we'll see once I get them on a full board.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 15:17:19 »
These are Cherry compatible, right? I have a WASD V2 w/ Reds that I hardly ever use because linear switches make my right hand hurt, was thinking about spending $30 and grabbing a bunch of these for a transplant.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 15:50:57 »
These are Cherry compatible, right? I have a WASD V2 w/ Reds that I hardly ever use because linear switches make my right hand hurt, was thinking about spending $30 and grabbing a bunch of these for a transplant.
Yez, they are Cherry mount compatible, but really only intended for plate mount.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 15:51:53 »

Yes they are compatible.... but if reds aren't your thing, I would not go for these.  They are fairly light and not very tactile.  It is a linear switch with a small click bar to give feedback, mostly aural feedback.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 22:00:18 »
Yes they are compatible.... but if reds aren't your thing, I would not go for these.  They are fairly light and not very tactile.  It is a linear switch with a small click bar to give feedback, mostly aural feedback.

Well, a tiny bit of tactile is probably all I need. I absolutely love browns.

Yez, they are Cherry mount compatible, but really only intended for plate mount.

Awesome. That means they should fit right into my WASD

Offline Trente

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 22:57:13 »
I am just wondering if anyone had compared this switch with some recent popular switch like the outemu ice blue switch, aristotle switch, or even some clicky alps like matias click or classic alps blue switch?

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 01:11:29 »
I am just wondering if anyone had compared this switch with some recent popular switch like the outemu ice blue switch, aristotle switch, or even some clicky alps like matias click or classic alps blue switch?
They don't compare to Matias or Alps, those switches not only sound good but they have nice strong tactility unlike the Kailhs which are just baaarely tactile.

Offline Trente

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 01:58:12 »
They don't compare to Matias or Alps, those switches not only sound good but they have nice strong tactility unlike the Kailhs which are just baaarely tactile.

Gotcha, in this case, just out of curious, what would be the overall good feeling/sound tactile and clicky mx switch available in the market, even after modification like spring swap and lubing? I recently got a board that only come with cherry plate so it seems I had to pick one, or I need to spend extra money on getting a laser cut alps plate myself.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 02:01:13 »
I completely agree with this. These new Kailh switches are quite interesting, and an improvement on MX blues in certain ways, but Matias switches are completely different in basically every way.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 03:32:11 »

Gotcha, in this case, just out of curious, what would be the overall good feeling/sound tactile and clicky mx switch available in the market, even after modification like spring swap and lubing? I recently got a board that only come with cherry plate so it seems I had to pick one, or I need to spend extra money on getting a laser cut alps plate myself.
Gatistotles or Zealistotles (Aristotle Switch Stem in Gateron or Zealios housing)

Offline Trente

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 22:08:02 »
I completely agree with this. These new Kailh switches are quite interesting, and an improvement on MX blues in certain ways, but Matias switches are completely different in basically every way.

I got my box and speed switch sample pack today and I can feel the difference now, though I am not using matias click but just matias quiet click, the tactile feeling is totally different. In my opinion Matias has slightly higher bump and much larger tactile bump both in the required force to press and the size of the bump. But something surprise me is about the gold kalih speed switch ( the one more similar to mx blue rather than the linear clicky ones, and though this is no longer about box switch). I think the tactile bump on this switch is much less than what I expected, at least I think is less than the outemu ice blue clicky switch came in the same tester pack. But I did not use mx blue for a long time so I don't know how it feels compare to mx blue