Author Topic: Issues using Soarer's converter for XT Model F  (Read 2258 times)

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

Issues using Soarer's converter for XT Model F
« on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 16:23:39 »
First off, I'd like to apologize if I put this in the wrong area, I'm still very new to GeekHack.

So, my converter cable came in today for my XT that I bought last week, and I immediately set about downloading all necessary software to begin remapping the keys. Unfortunately for some reason unknown to me, the space bar does not register at all. HID Listen doesn't show any signal from the spacebar being received at all.

The board came in near mint condition, with only minor rust on the back plate and disintegrated foam. I have yet to separate the layers to remove the powder dust that is the foam layer, and i'm wondering if perhaps pieces could be interfering with the contact plate?

I'd really hate to have this board not work, everything else about it is perfect. If you guys have any suggestions as to what the issue is, I would greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: well thank goodness that was a relatively easy fix. Opening it up, there was a small bead of something sitting directly below the flipper on the pcb, removed it, spent way too long trying to reassemble the board, and it all worked. I think it's safe to say though, that i no longer feel the desire to replace the foam, haha.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 October 2017, 09:55:08 by InvidiousIgnoramus »
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline xueyao

Re: Issues using Soarer's converter for XT Model F
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 18:43:01 »
Since all keys work, I'm guessing it might be a malfunctioning PCB with a broken trace or simply very dirty. The spring and hammer might also be unseated causing it not to hit the PCB properly. Try taking it apart and cleaning it thoroughly. You can test if the PCB is working properly before putting it back together.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 19:09:08 »
The stem may not be seated properly. Unfortunately, however, you can't simply pull up the space bar of a small F and push it back down again without risk.

Maybe try gently jiggling it up and down without pulling the wire out of its holders?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 07:53:43 »
Since all keys work, I'm guessing it might be a malfunctioning PCB with a broken trace or simply very dirty. The spring and hammer might also be unseated causing it not to hit the PCB properly. Try taking it apart and cleaning it thoroughly. You can test if the PCB is working properly before putting it back together.

Like i said, the board is  completely clean, unless there's only something underneath the spacebar. I'll check when i get the chance. traces shouldn't be broken though, board listed as fully tested, and the seller had A LOT of positive feedback. if push comes to shove, i can always refund it to them.

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 07:55:46 »

Like i said, the board is  completely clean, unless there's only something underneath the spacebar. I'll check when i get the chance. traces shouldn't be broken though, board listed as fully tested, and the seller had A LOT of positive feedback. if push comes to shove, i can always refund it to them.

any action a try with the spacebar is going to take a full disassembly. do you have any tips on how to separate the layers without getting the powdered foam everywhere?