Author Topic: Maybe about to give up on GMK? Opinions inside  (Read 13569 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Maybe about to give up on GMK? Opinions inside
« on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 10:26:53 »
I don't know what is going on, but I think for almost every switch on almost every board I have, GMK (as of this morning) is the worst option.  Feels the worst, sounds the worst.  I'm not ready to sell them all off yet, but I'm seriously considering it.  The biggest moment of this discovery was when I compared a cheap custom WASD set against my GMK Dolch set. The cheap OEM just sound and feel so much better to me.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?

This is a result of the coolest damn hot swap sockets on Earth.  Why didn't I go this route earlier??  I've been able to test a full board with 62g zeals, 67g zeals, cherrystotles, pale blue box Kailhs, purple Kailh pros, and newly tooled Cherry blacks.  Each switch with SA R3, fully sculptured SA, Cherry, OEM, and DSA!!  I'm about to find the perfect setup for me and it only cost me $50.  What a steal.

I have more boards than I really care to count.  But I own boards with MX reds, silent reds, blues, blacks, slivers, Gateron blacks, greens, Zealios 62 and 67, Kailh speed bronze, heavy pale blues, all of the pros.  Those are the ones I should be able to test more extensively.  I also own boards with Matias Click, Black Alps, Buckling Springs, and various rubber domes, including an old Quiet Click and RF 87u.

I have many keycap sets in OEM, DCS, SA R3 (ABS and PBT), SA sculptured, DSA, and Cherry profiles (GMK ABS and enjoyPBT).  I'll have to wait until extras for XDA show up on keyclack and I have a set of cubic coming from Massdrop next month.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:08:42 by reececonrad »

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
Re: Maybe about to give up on GMK?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 10:30:05 »
Nothing?

But I would be interested in a more detailed explanation.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Maybe about to give up on GMK? Opinions inside
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 10:32:55 »
Nothing?

Updated the original post to explain how/what I've been testing.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:08:13 by reececonrad »

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 10:38:55 »
GMK has always been over rated, but they have a lot of specialty keys that OEM sets just dont have. If you are looking for feels try enjoypbt
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 10:40:35 by redbanshee »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 10:42:22 »
GMK has always been over rated, but they have a lot of specialty keys that OEM sets just dont have. If you are looking for feels try enjoypbt

I agree that the enjoyPBT sets feel better to me, but they still don't sound as good as even OEM.  Maybe it's the taller profile that gives a sound profile that I enjoy more?  I'll have to put some DSA on these 67g zeals and see how they compare to Cherry profile.  But these cheap OEM caps are beating the pants off of Cherry at the moment.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 10:48:32 »
Nothing?

Yeah, I meant how "sound and feel so much better to me" isn't very descriptive.

Do you like the profile more? The texture of the caps is better? How so? And in what ways is the sound different.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 10:56:42 »
Nothing?

Yeah, I meant how "sound and feel so much better to me" isn't very descriptive.

Do you like the profile more? The texture of the caps is better? How so? And in what ways is the sound different.

I think with the feel it's more the profile than the texture.  I have ABS and PBT keycaps and I don't really have a strong preference of one over the other.  Maybe it's the deeper cylindrical nature of Cherry profile feels wrong to me.  It's just not comfortable on my fingers.

With the sound... I believe cherry profile somehow deadens the sound of the switch and different switches lose their distinctive character underneath them.  You also feel the switch less when it comes to tactility.  I would think this is because they are thicker, but an ABS SA set on the same board allows me to feel the 67g zeals a lot better.  They have a lot more pop under my fingers than they do with the GMK set.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason to what I'm discovering, but this is what I've found so far.  More to come.

Offline raxander

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 16:45:41 »
I feel the same way as OP, although not as extreme.  I do like GMK better than cheap-o OEM caps, but strongly prefer SA feel and sound.  The volume of the hollow space under the cap makes the sound deeper and I actually have a hard time separating sound and feel so a cap that sounds bad will "feel" bad to me.  I really want to like GMK so I can have a quiet board at work with QMX clips but I think I'll be better off with SA caps and MX silent blacks.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 17:04:10 »
I've been able to test a full board with 62g zeals, 67g zeals, cherrystotles, pale blue box Kailhs, purple Kailh pros, and newly tooled Cherry blacks.  Each switch with SA R3, fully sculptured SA, Cherry, OEM, and DSA!!  I'm about to find the perfect setup for me and it only cost me $50.  What a steal.

Some interesting math there :P
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 17:08:36 »
I don't have any GMK caps but I've heard that they don't sit properly on switches depending on which orientation the switch has, and this can affect the feel.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 17:10:22 »
An opinion is just another empty declaration of feelings. Instead, I'd take respect for arguments based on facts and data. You can give up on everything you want, don't expect that GH fellows convince you otherwise.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:06:01 »
An opinion is just another empty declaration of feelings. Instead, I'd take respect for arguments based on facts and data. You can give up on everything you want, don't expect that GH fellows convince you otherwise.

I’ve updated the post title to reflect my empty opinions on this matter.  I just wonder why the keycaps feel and sound lackluster.   I will say that I like my coniferous set on mx blacks with a polycarbonate plate and wooden case.

Cherry profile seems to dampen the sound and tactility of switches as compared to most other profiles.  I really like DSA but I think they also have a similar effect.  I thing I must prefer caps with more height as it allows the switch to “sing” better.

I’ll be interested to try the silent blacks.  I have silent reds but they’re scratchy as hell and nothing feels good on them, lol.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:07:29 »
I've been able to test a full board with 62g zeals, 67g zeals, cherrystotles, pale blue box Kailhs, purple Kailh pros, and newly tooled Cherry blacks.  Each switch with SA R3, fully sculptured SA, Cherry, OEM, and DSA!!  I'm about to find the perfect setup for me and it only cost me $50.  What a steal.

Some interesting math there :P

Ha!  True.  Still nice to not have to spend money on new pcbs or time desoldering/soldering to try out a new setup

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:13:56 »

I’ve updated the post title to reflect my empty opinions on this matter.  I just wonder why the keycaps feel and sound lackluster.   I will say that I like my coniferous set on mx blacks with a polycarbonate plate and wooden case.

Cherry profile seems to dampen the sound and tactility of switches as compared to most other profiles.  I really like DSA but I think they also have a similar effect.  I thing I must prefer caps with more height as it allows the switch to “sing” better.

I’ll be interested to try the silent blacks.  I have silent reds but they’re scratchy as hell and nothing feels good on them, lol.

We all should understand that the typing feeling is a multivariate, multifactorial response, it is mainly related with the case, the plate, if there is one installed, the switches and the key caps. Each one has its own features and ramifications that will add to the overall typing feeling . But, you may be surprise how different a keyboard will feel if it is on a plastic, wood, metal or glass surface, also, it would feel different if the surface is the desk or a tray. You, as most of us, should do your own experimentation to find what is the best setup for your needs and preferences. But, making a brand the culprit is likely unwarranted.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 02:56:23 »
I just got my first GMK set today and am really enjoying them. The packaging was superb compared to the max key's and JTK sets I got. The overall feel of the keys is nice! and even thought my switches are reverse mounted "LED's would be at the top if they had LED's" the keys still feel really good to type on I have zero complaints honestly. I most likely get another set of GMK even thought they cost a ARM and a LEG.

Offline need

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 04:39:56 »
Although pbt is durable, it doesn't feel good to me. It's is too dry and slippery to touch. abs feels better, and even if it wears out quickly I still prefer it. OEM can feel and sound great, and I actually liked the ones on a Filco / Novatouch.

However nothing really matches the truly classic look of GMK, eg. Beige/WoB/Dolch. I feel comfy whenever I see these colours, but they only look right on the GMK profile. OEM sets always look a bit off to me, mainly the font and colours that OEM uses.

So yeah it's mainly the look that makes me stick to GMK.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 October 2017, 04:42:00 by need »

Offline Sissy

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 06:48:26 »
GMK Burnout?
just use other caps for awhile and use GMK again once you have adjusted your ears and fingers to other caps.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 20:00:59 »
There were these caps that came with the original Sentraq kit group buy... i dunno where they're from but they're awesome. https://imgur.com/XKDmJ5x

I have a bunch of GMK sets, i like them. Definitely prefer the DCS profile but I do like a really well worn PBT set the best. Vintage doubleshots are also on my list of things to look out for.
-Dana

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 02:43:45 »
I have noticed odd thing about GMK vs JTK... GMK shines way faster. I used my GMK set for less overall time then the JTK set.. both have black space bars. While the JTK set doesn't have any shine on it. The GMK set is already showing. That something people normally see are is that just unique to this situation.. at first I thought it might have been the space bars colors.. cause I think shine shows up more readily on black.. but both space bars are black.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 08:21:29 »
Well this is inspiring after just buying my first GMK set  :p. I guess I'll have to find out for myself.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 19:17:22 »
I have noticed odd thing about GMK vs JTK... GMK shines way faster. I used my GMK set for less overall time then the JTK set.. both have black space bars. While the JTK set doesn't have any shine on it. The GMK set is already showing. That something people normally see are is that just unique to this situation.. at first I thought it might have been the space bars colors.. cause I think shine shows up more readily on black.. but both space bars are black.

ABS is a bit softer and does polish with use. Additionally I feel like theres a better feel to my older GMK caps than the brand new ones, almost like the age and get a little more dense? Its a weird idea i know and of course with all things keyboard its quite subjective but I really love the 'well worn' stuff. Like raw denim or guitars, keyboards get better with age... shine, patina, butterscotch yellowing... that stuff.
-Dana

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 16:23:51 »
I personally really love my GMK caps. Maybe a little too much given how much a full set can run...

My only complaint is that they can bump into some types of LEDs, so I have to factor that in to my decisions regarding pre-built boards. I also really hate their scooped homing keys, but most sets come with barred anyway.

Maybe I'll feel differently when my kits are old and polished from use. We'll see.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 23:04:13 »
You found your preference. Congrats. Personally thin ABS keycaps are a guilty pleasure of mine on tactile and clicky switch keyboards with plastic cases. Even Cherry POM imo is excellent on Cherry MX browns/clears/greens. The problem, I find, is that there aren't a lot of these keysets that are as good of quality in OEM/Cherry profile. DCS comes pretty close.

But if you are giving up GMK keysets it should only be because you realize that OG Cherry Doubleshots are better :P

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 19:43:09 »
I also really hate their scooped homing keys, but most sets come with barred anyway.

Ya know, I've been kind of on the fence about them lately. At first I was all excited but now after years of use on them I still really like the 'security blanket' of the bars when you're moving fast.
-Dana

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 01:30:20 »
I also really hate their scooped homing keys, but most sets come with barred anyway.

Ya know, I've been kind of on the fence about them lately. At first I was all excited but now after years of use on them I still really like the 'security blanket' of the bars when you're moving fast.

Nowadays 95% of GMK sets include keys with homing bars, but we had to fight to obtain them. The majority wants bars, but yet the purists didn't want to surrender. Why. I'm still asking why. If people are so resilient to change, just imagine how miserable and ****ty their lives must be.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 10:43:47 »
thick caps diminish tactile feels

DCS is the true way forward
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline gorauskas

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 15:45:19 »
Does GMK make anything with a spherical top / touch area?
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 December 2017, 15:53:10 by gorauskas »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 16:15:39 »
Does GMK make anything with a spherical top / touch area?

no
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 12:38:23 »

Nowadays 95% of GMK sets include keys with homing bars, but we had to fight to obtain them. The majority wants bars, but yet the purists didn't want to surrender. Why. I'm still asking why. If people are so resilient to change, just imagine how miserable and ****ty their lives must be.

Why do their lives have to be ****ty and miserable? Responding to every comment pertaining to homing bars must take up a lot of your time, thus making your life ****ty and miserable :(

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 12:41:32 »
most people i talk to seem to prefer scoops

doesn't really matter to me or most people tbh

i don't really know anyone who wouldn't buy a set because it doesn't have their favorite homing key preference

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 14:54:18 »

i don't really know anyone who wouldn't buy a set because it doesn't have their favorite homing key preference

Me, except that you don't know me.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 14:55:59 »

Why do their lives have to be ****ty and miserable? Responding to every comment pertaining to homing bars must take up a lot of your time, thus making your life ****ty and miserable :(

Their life is probably miserable because they don't want change, even if it comes at a cost of 1.5 USD per each set (three keys). And that is surely a clear indication of what happens in their life.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 December 2017, 15:47:59 by Giorgio »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 15:22:15 »

Me, except that you don't know me.

i was responding specifically to this, it's just annoying to chop up posts from my phone

The majority wants bars, but yet the purists didn't want to surrender.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 December 2017, 15:23:55 by Puddsy »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 17:24:26 »
SA da best yo.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline txclack

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 17:33:05 »
I kinda wish GMK would increase the size of their tray, or make it easier to organize multiple mods kits into 1 tray.

/shrug

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 18:52:54 »
I kinda wish GMK would increase the size of their tray, or make it easier to organize multiple mods kits into 1 tray.

/shrug

the trays were designed at a time when sets didn't have nearly the compat they do now, so i imagine that's a part of it

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 23:25:23 »
SA da best yo.

SAs have quite a bit of wobble IMO. Visually, they are stunning. I think what it comes down to is that there'll never be a perfect switch, profile, or layout.... but we can get damn close. Personally, GMK strikes a good balance between looks and utility.

But then again I'm also a homing bar simpleton :shrug:
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 01:58:13 »
SA da best yo.

SAs have quite a bit of wobble IMO. Visually, they are stunning. I think what it comes down to is that there'll never be a perfect switch, profile, or layout.... but we can get damn close. Personally, GMK strikes a good balance between looks and utility.

I really don't see what people's beef is with wobble Oo .

Besides SA makes switches sound fantastic :D .

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 02:02:27 »
SA da best yo.

Wobble feels great in moderation. Just not excess. I will give you the second point though, they do sound fantastic. But then again, I think that is just a result of the mass of double shot pbt. I mean, look at Space Cadet. That thock is glorious.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 02:23:27 »
SA da best yo.

Wobble feels great in moderation. Just not excess. I will give you the second point though, they do sound fantastic. But then again, I think that is just a result of the mass of double shot pbt. I mean, look at Space Cadet. That thock is glorious.
I think it's more the height than the mass tbh, and SA is ABS isn't it?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
Maybe about to give up on GMK? Opinions inside
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 02:34:27 »
SA da best yo.

Besides SA makes switches sound fantastic .

You’re right. SA is ABS, my mistake.

Wobble is more of a heigh issue to be sure. I’ve always thought that the wonderful sound though is largely in part due to the density and size of the cap. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 December 2017, 02:36:03 by _rubik »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 03:09:06 »
Are SA on a novatouch any good? Do they wobble or bottom or harshly? I'm asking this because the silenced gmk enter of a novatouch makes a clack sound when bottoming out.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 10:17:08 »
Are SA on a novatouch any good? Do they wobble or bottom or harshly? I'm asking this because the silenced gmk enter of a novatouch makes a clack sound when bottoming out.

1) not all SA is ABS.

2) SA is a lot louder overall than GMK

The sound and wobble are twofold on a Novatouch.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 December 2017, 10:20:13 by Puddsy »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 18:09:37 »
SA da best yo.

Wobble is more of a heigh issue to be sure. I’ve always thought that the wonderful sound though is largely in part due to the density and size of the cap. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong though.
I've done extensive tests with keycaps versus sound. I've found several things:

1) ABS sounds deeper than PBT
2) Denser sounds less loud but not really more bassy
3) The deepest, fullest sound comes from thin, tall doubleshot ABS

It's remarkable how much influence keycap type can have on sound. It's also a wonderful thing if you know how to exploit it. Alps on thin OEM doubleshot ABS, oh my ^^ .

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 22:47:24 »
SA da best yo.

I've done extensive tests with keycaps versus sound. I've found several things:

1) ABS sounds deeper than PBT
2) Denser sounds less loud but not really more bassy
3) The deepest, fullest sound comes from thin, tall doubleshot ABS

It's remarkable how much influence keycap type can have on sound. It's also a wonderful thing if you know how to exploit it. Alps on thin OEM doubleshot ABS, oh my ^^ .

I can confirm these statements with my own experience.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 22:49:12 »
Thanks for the info guys! I always love learning from folks who have been in the game far longer than I have.