Author Topic: **** to do in NY?  (Read 5943 times)

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
**** to do in NY?
« on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:18:27 »
I dunno why I'm asking on a keyboard forum but I'm going to New York next week for a mate's wedding and will have three days in the city to do whatever. I've been before but didn't visit any of the tourist stuff at all. This time I wanna go to Coney Island but otherwise I dunno. Got any recs?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: **** to do in NY?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:22:24 »
Screamers Pizzeria in Brooklyn. Best pizza I've ever had.

I enjoyed walking through Central park for a day, but that's about all I'd say so.

Depends how touristy you want to be :))

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:28:51 »

I enjoyed walking through Central park for a day, but that's about all I'd say so.

Heart disease/Cancer/ Diabetes/ Stroke/Dementia .. !!

Worth it.. !!

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:29:15 »
I live a few states over, and have never been...

Would go to FAO Schwartz if it still exists, this was in all the movies as a kid

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:29:45 »

Worth it.. !!

Bruh it's ****ing vegan

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:31:36 »

Worth it.. !!

Bruh it's ****ing vegan

TPREKT

<3

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:40:22 »
Which days ie. weekend, or mid-week? Evening or day distractions? Where are you staying?

- Central park is really nice this time of year. Sit down for a picnic and read your book or write in your journal for a couple hours. Walk from the bottom to the top, the topmost is least touristy and more wild, and there's lots to see inbetween;
- Museum of Natural History is off the park to the West, worth a look;
- The Cloisters in Harlem. A bit of a trek but a nice peaceful part of a busy city.
- Walk along the East River between the bridges (Manhattan side), walk the Brooklyn Bridge, be warned it's a pain to get onto and off at either end, also may be still in renovation;
- The 9/11 holes in the ground - pretty epic;
- The Calatrava dinosaur skeleton PATH station - epic inside space, even if it's effectively a shopping mall;
- STOMP (jk);
- Coffees and beers walking around Alphabet City;
- Get some Ramen at Minca (not the place next door); Bagel from Tompkin's Sq. Bagels, Sophie's and Josie's are great local pubs around the corner;
- Coney Island is a good idea but a bit of a trek. Be prepared for a grotty experience though - it's not high class. You can ride there quite easily if you can get hold of a bike, take the subway back.
- Washington Sq. park for some more park and sunning with pretty young things;
- The Ear Inn on Greenwich - historic Brit pub, one of the oldest in NY and you can drink on the street outside. Say hi to Gary;
- I'll add to this once I think of a few more;

Generally get on your walking shoes or a bicycle - you don't want to spend all your time on the subway.

EDIT 1:

- Williamsburg is a bit crappy nowadays. I haven't been to Bushwick in a while but it's probably still hip and happenin with reclaimed factory hipster coffee, furtniture, food spots
- Essex St. Market Skandiavian fish stall - get a Nordic sandwich (salmon, caviar, cream, nice);
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:49:53 by emenelopee »

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:40:52 »

Worth it.. !!

Bruh it's ****ing vegan

TPREKT

<3

Holy **** Xondat straight in with that hot rec. I defo wanna go, just gonna have to convince my buddies.  I did actually go to Central Park and MOMA when I went before. And the Chrysler building. That's about it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:43:38 »

Worth it.. !!

Bruh it's ****ing vegan

TPREKT

<3

Hahahaha..

Guys, I appreciate that ya'll are making better choices.

But unfortunately  the Typical Vegan is not any healthier than most Meat-Eater.

Vegan pizza is loaded with Fats..

Fats in excess of 10-15% total of calories,  ~22 Grams per day,    WILL contribute to endothelial damage , and therefore diabetes/ Heartdisease/ stroke/ dementia / (certain cancers).

Tp4 is an advocate of 100% Veggies @ 10% Fats..

I know this sounds like, heck Tp,  we can't win.. 

Guys, there's only 1 right path..  Humanity has picked a very wrong one, and it just seems so normal..

Alas,  the Facts are straight today,    It's not any one thing,  It's everything. !!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:51:30 »
I have never been to NY but ...
http://deusexroadtrip.blogspot.se/
https://ny.curbed.com/maps/the-ultimate-ghostbusters-map-guide-to-new-york-city
https://youtu.be/cVfFGd0GkfU?t=18m38s

I wonder if you would get arrested if you went to Liberty Island and put up a sign that said "Future site of UNATCO headquarters".
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:56:11 by Findecanor »

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 15:52:58 »

Worth it.. !!

Bruh it's ****ing vegan

TPREKT

<3

Hahahaha..

Guys, I appreciate that ya'll are making better choices.

But unfortunately  the Typical Vegan is not any healthier than most Meat-Eater.

Vegan pizza is loaded with Fats..

Fats in excess of 10-15% total of calories,  ~22 Grams per day,    WILL contribute to endothelial damage , and therefore diabetes/ Heartdisease/ stroke/ dementia / (certain cancers).

Tp4 is an advocate of 100% Veggies @ 10% Fats..

I know this sounds like, heck Tp,  we can't win.. 

Guys, there's only 1 right path..  Humanity has picked a very wrong one, and it just seems so normal..

Alas,  the Facts are straight today,    It's not any one thing,  It's everything. !!

tp why don't you practice what you preach and get the hell off your comp and go exercise. surely being on the computer isn't good for one's health.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 16:08:09 »

tp why don't you practice what you preach and get the hell off your comp and go exercise. surely being on the computer isn't good for one's health.

Well, here's the thing..

I've math-ed this out..  Being in front of the computer is thoroughly insignificant relative to the harm through consuming animal foods and high quantities of fats.

The health industry has purposefully generated enormous confusion over cause and outcome..

For example, Any person today with diabetes can Cure it within 2 weeks to 1 month..   If he follows 100% veggies @ 10% calories from fat..

But we never hear about it.. We always hear about Low carb,  because people want to believe that Bacon is the solution..

For a long while I believed it too.. I've eaten my fair share of bacon cheese burgers.

If we look at the primary causes of death in the USA..  Nearly all of the top 15 are curable or preventable through Dietary change alone.

I'm not advocating m0ar computer,  but it's very much inconsequential next to Animal foods destroying the human body.

I do not say this lightly, as the former Gekhak Champion of Popeyes Fried Chicken. !!

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 16:20:55 »
tp4tissue: "Let me hijack this thread for you"

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 16:22:55 »
tp you have 11K+ posts. don't even pretend you're not rotting away glued to a computer all day. that's not a healthy lifestyle AT ALL.

anyways, everyone already knows eating more veggies and less meat is good for you. No one ****ing cares to do it because it's unsatisfying and tastes like ****. you don't have to keep preaching to people to stop eating meat and start eating veggies in every other post.

and back on topic, I recommend Hill Country Chicken near Madison Square Park for some delicious  crispy golden chicken. Their Texas Tenders are worth cutting 10 years off your lifespan. Same area also has tourist hotspot Shake Shack. You can get some good gelato at Eataly near by as well.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 16:31:37 »
If you dig the ethnic foods, head down into Alphabet City and hit up one of the awesome Indian/Bengali restaurants that are crammed with lights and tinsel hanging from the ceiling in a 10-foot wide space, the food is seriously amazing (and mega spicy if you ask for it). Check out the East Village (St. Mark's Place vicinity) for just walking around, streetside vendors/markets and ambiance. I always suggest checking out the Metropolitan Art Museum (The Met) if you don't mind some culture, lots of cool stuff for everyone. Oh, and get a quality bagel with some schmear of your choice at any of the reputable places (not a bagel elitist, good options all across the city).
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 16:33:01 »
tp you have 11K+ posts. don't even pretend you're not rotting away glued to a computer all day. that's not a healthy lifestyle AT ALL.

anyways, everyone already knows eating more veggies and less meat is good for you. No one ****ing cares to do it because it's unsatisfying and tastes like ****. you don't have to keep preaching to people to stop eating meat and start eating veggies in every other post.

Tp4 am the computer..  There is no glue..

As for No one cares..  That's not true.. 

- They don't care YET..
- They're ignorant of the Science..
- They will care
- We should talk about it
- We should continue talking about it

As to taste..

- It is the case that many people are crass
- It is the case that many have shallow metrics for good and bad

Tp4's role is part entertainer, part educator.

For the Betterment of Gekhak and Humanity..

100% Veggies @ 10% fats 

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 17:42:16 »
Which days ie. weekend, or mid-week? Evening or day distractions? Where are you staying?

- Central park is really nice this time of year. Sit down for a picnic and read your book or write in your journal for a couple hours. Walk from the bottom to the top, the topmost is least touristy and more wild, and there's lots to see inbetween;
- The Cloisters in Harlem. A bit of a trek but a nice peaceful part of a busy city.
- Walk along the East River between the bridges (Manhattan side), walk the Brooklyn Bridge, be warned it's a pain to get onto and off at either end, also may be still in renovation;
- The Calatrava dinosaur skeleton PATH station - epic inside space, even if it's effectively a shopping mall;
- STOMP (jk);
- Get some Ramen at Minca (not the place next door); Bagel from Tompkin's Sq. Bagels, Sophie's and Josie's are great local pubs around the corner;
- Coney Island is a good idea but a bit of a trek. Be prepared for a grotty experience though - it's not high class. You can ride there quite easily if you can get hold of a bike, take the subway back.
- The Ear Inn on Greenwich - historic Brit pub, one of the oldest in NY and you can drink on the street outside. Say hi to Gary;

Generally get on your walking shoes or a bicycle - you don't want to spend all your time on the subway.

EDIT 1:

- Williamsburg is a bit crappy nowadays. I haven't been to Bushwick in a while but it's probably still hip and happenin with reclaimed factory hipster coffee, furtniture, food spots
- Essex St. Market Skandiavian fish stall - get a Nordic sandwich (salmon, caviar, cream, nice);

Thanks for this, so many suggestions.

I'll be there from mon-weds. Staying in Bedstuy.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 17:43:39 »
why is tp4tissue allowed to take a stinky vegan **** in any thread he wants? Nothing he posted is relevant to OP's question....

Just to keep things on topic, I've never been to New York but I hear there's lots of great comedy clubs to check out.  :thumb:

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 17:56:51 »

Worth it.. !!

Bruh it's ****ing vegan

TPREKT

<3

Holy **** Xondat straight in with that hot rec. I defo wanna go, just gonna have to convince my buddies.  I did actually go to Central Park and MOMA when I went before. And the Chrysler building. That's about it.

Just checked. Screamers is an hour walk from where I'm staying. Easy.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 17:57:23 »
why is tp4tissue allowed to take a 100% Veggie @ 10% phat p00s in any thread he wants? Nothing he posted is relevant to OP's question....

That's a great question -dubious-.

You see, Heart disease / Diabetes / Stroke/ Dementia / Cancer  Kills as many people as World Wars.

These are Preventable and Reversible diseases..

100% Veggies @ 10% fats thoroughly alleviates such atrocities..

Thus, It is the Most relevant and Most important set of information which Improves Each and Every aspect of Modern Living..

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 18:49:53 »

Just checked. Screamers is an hour walk from where I'm staying. Easy.

Not bad, I was an hour away on the subway :'( ****in worth.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 18:54:29 »
I went to NYC once, I got too drunk and forget most of it. Don’t do that

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 19:16:10 »

- STOMP (jk);

EDIT 1:

If Bedstuy is where you're at, check out Prospect Park, and that's actually an easier spot to get cycling down to Coney than Manhattan. Bedstuy is also the new up-and-coming neighbourhood, so there should be plenty of hip **** do do there, though probably a little hidden and less obvious. Last I saw it was still crappy and pre-gentrification so I can't tell you more than that I'm afraid.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 19:35:33 »

- STOMP (jk);

EDIT 1:

If Bedstuy is where you're at, check out Prospect Park, and that's actually an easier spot to get cycling down to Coney than Manhattan. Bedstuy is also the new up-and-coming neighbourhood, so there should be plenty of hip **** do do there, though probably a little hidden and less obvious. Last I saw it was still crappy and pre-gentrification so I can't tell you more than that I'm afraid.

My buddy who's getting married is a musician so he prolly knows about some of that hip **** I guess. I'm very much into the cycling from Prospect Park to Coney Island idea. Gotta figure out times and bike hire.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 21:58:41 »
Throwing in a vote for the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. One of my favorite places to go growing up.

Also might be worth checking out the Prospect Park Zoo, Brooklyn Public Library, and Brooklyn Museum if you go that route. All pretty much within walking distance of each other.

Since you're staying in bedstuy, it might be easier (and cheaper) than some of the Manhattan stuff people are suggesting. There's plenty of good food in that area as well.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 22:56:09 »
Alternative,  Tp4 votes for staying in the hotel room, then back to the airport food court..

Tp4 loves the airport..  Much nuance, much fun,  Duty free shop.. !!

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 20:54:57 »
Throwing in a vote for the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. One of my favorite places to go growing up.

Also might be worth checking out the Prospect Park Zoo, Brooklyn Public Library, and Brooklyn Museum if you go that route. All pretty much within walking distance of each other.

Since you're staying in bedstuy, it might be easier (and cheaper) than some of the Manhattan stuff people are suggesting. There's plenty of good food in that area as well.

Those all sound like solid recs. thanks man.

Alternative,  Tp4 votes for staying in the hotel room, then back to the airport food court..

Tp4 loves the airport..  Much nuance, much fun,  Duty free shop.. !!

I actually do like airports a lot. They're very strange places. Interzones.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 05:05:07 »
Was just there all week man. Great place.  :cool: Brooklyn

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 12:08:46 »

- STOMP (jk);

EDIT 1:

Agreed with all except the Museum of Natural History. When I went there it felt really old and dated, not really what I expected after hearing so much about it and seeing it in so many movies etc.   :confused:
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 12:48:17 »

Agreed with all except the Museum of Natural History. When I went there it felt really old and dated, not really what I expected after hearing so much about it and seeing it in so many movies etc.   :confused:

Very similar to a movie theater, it's a place which exists as an -appropriate- pretext for male-female interaction..

The information and artifacts it contains is not without value,  but from a strict -Consumer- perspective,  You can just read the damn wiki if the KNOWING is what you're after.

It's like back in the day, when rich people commissioned expeditions,  They're only interested in the Products-of-exploration,  Not dying of scurvy on a ship, or being speared by combative natives..

Similarly at the personal level, you just want to know the type of teal used on a ming vase,  you're not interested in getting in a car, being in traffic, waiting in line, walking, doing all that in reverse, possibly being killed by a drunk driver..

#Ronery4ever
#BasementStyle

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 13:24:54 »
My Dad and one of his buddies went to NYC sometime in the 80s for some paperwork. For me it's always been one of those I've always wanted to go (pizza) but never had a reason type situations.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 13:56:53 »
My Dad and one of his buddies went to NYC sometime in the 80s for some paperwork. For me it's always been one of those I've always wanted to go (pizza) but never had a reason type situations.

Did they offer gay marriage licenses in NY in the 80s ?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 14:22:42 »

Cute.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 14:52:04 »

Cute.

//giggle

thx for the setup mertx

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 15:03:58 »

Cute.

//giggle

thx for the setup mertx

Yeah, me talking about the time my Dad went to NYC with a buddy in order to pick up Navy related paperwork was a setup. Good job. You really scored one for the team on that one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 17:17:10 »

Yeah, me talking about the time my Dad went to NYC with a buddy in order to pick up Navy related paperwork was a setup. Good job. You really scored one for the team on that one.

Navy eh ?

That's what they called it back then huh. ?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 17:47:03 »
That's what what was called back then? If you're hinting at sexual orintation as the punch line--I've got news for you.. no one cares.

Single out the 'dumb hick' and try to rile them up eh? Once again, well done.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 17:50:22 »
That's what what was called back then? If you're hinting at sexual orintation as the punch line--I've got news for you.. no one cares.

Single out the 'dumb hick' and try to rile them up eh? Once again, well done.

/headscratch..

mertx.. Tp4= m0ar hick than anyone on gekhak..

There's no malciousness,  I'm just kidn'round

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 27 May 2018, 23:13:44 »
If you like sweets, Spots Dessert Bar is one of my favorite to visit every time I go to NY. It has many locations :)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 15:41:42 »
YOU CAN USE WINDOWS 98 IN NEW YORK
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS