Author Topic: HELLO FROM DALLAS,TX  (Read 1603 times)

Offline GrandMasterKai

HELLO FROM DALLAS,TX
« on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 21:44:37 »
Hello all, i just got into the 60% keyboard builds. So far on the stuff i ordered:

board: dz60  (rev.3)
switches: Zealio 65g transparent switches
plate: still looking
case:still looking
stabilizer: still looking

i am undecided on what case i want at the moment. The only issue i have is, while researching the layouts for my board. i get confused on the different types of names of the layouts.   Can anyone let me know what layout/type that will let me keep the arrow keys on the right?  Another question, how do i know what caps can fit on the switches?

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Re: HELLO FROM DALLAS,TX
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 00:29:22 »
Hello all, i just got into the 60% keyboard builds. So far on the stuff i ordered:

board: dz60  (rev.3)
switches: Zealio 65g transparent switches
plate: still looking
case:still looking
stabilizer: still looking

i am undecided on what case i want at the moment. The only issue i have is, while researching the layouts for my board. i get confused on the different types of names of the layouts.   Can anyone let me know what layout/type that will let me keep the arrow keys on the right?  Another question, how do i know what caps can fit on the switches?

Welcome, and I'll try to help!

Zealios are Cherry MX compatible switches, which means the great majority of keycaps will fit on them.  Cherry kind of set the standard there, and the only others that are at all common would be be ALPS/Matias or Topre.  MX is the "default" choice for most of us.  You'll also want to compare the size (width) of the keys in your layout with the keys included in any keycap set you shop for.  Example of what I mean: if you have arrow keys on your 60%, your right shift key will probably be shorter than normal, and you may have to substitute some keycap there.

I do suggest a set of genuine Cherry stabilizers, even if they are a little harder to find than the generic ones.

I love my KBDfans 5° aluminum case.  However, the aluminum ones from TEX are also very good, and the acrylic cases from Sentraq are also very good.  There are almost too many options for 60% cases.

I would focus less on the names of the layouts and more on the little chart that KBDfans provided on their website showing what layouts are supported by the DZ60.  You'll need to find a combination that works with the PCB and that you can get keycaps to fit.  Yes, it does support arrow keys on the right.  However…  Before you commit to that, you might take a peek at what I did with my DZ60.  I'm kind of proud of it -->  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92199.msg2509763

May not be to everyone's taste, but it works for me, and I think it gives some idea what is possible when you set out to build your own keyboard.  You can do things that you would never see on an off-the-shelf unit.