Author Topic: [IC] Glow SA, Glow-in-the-Dark profiled SA, PRICES ADDED 2019-02-17  (Read 148024 times)

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
Re: [IC] Glow SA, Glow-in-the-Dark profiled SA
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:24:37 »
Anyone know where i can get UV leds? (not just purple ones, unless that would work)

What you want is a 395nm (nano = 10e-9) wavelength LEDs - the purple colour is there so you know it's on (also a little overlap with visible spectrum).

Something like this should work LINK, though I haven't seen any flangeless or 4x3x2mm.

I have this pet pee detector on order LINK.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:47:33 by emenelopee »

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:33:40 »
Would it be possible to add the R3 Page Up, R4 Page Down, and R3 Fn for the default layout of the Tada68 and most Whitefox layouts?  If not, would it be possible for some of the 1U novelties to be available in rows 2-4 so they can be used down the right side of a 65%?

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 12:01:47 »
Would it be possible to add the R3 Page Up, R4 Page Down, and R3 Fn for the default layout of the Tada68 and most Whitefox layouts?  If not, would it be possible for some of the 1U novelties to be available in rows 2-4 so they can be used down the right side of a 65%?

Not an impossible request. They'd probably go into the Extension kit. Would that work?

I've also been thinking of changing [Menu] to [Fn] - what's the hive mind's thought on this?

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 12:09:14 »
(Bumping the image of the latest revision for more convenient studying)

I've also been thinking of changing [Menu] to [Fn] - what's the hive mind's thought on this?

I endorse this idea. I would guess that people have function-enabled layers on almost every scale of layout. And even for those who do have a Menu key, does it really see a ton of use? Would any of you even mind if you had to pres "Func/Fn" instead of "Menu" for that functionality? I personally wouldn't mind.

edit for nitpickyness: Looking at a few of the legends, I'm guessing you'll have to alter your renders for some of the caps. Based on this image of SA Carbon, the navigation keys use the abbreviated DEL and INS and PAGE UP is split into two lines. Scroll Lock is just LOCK. I acknowledge that Carbon is a double-shot set and this will be dyesub, but I suspect that the legends will be pretty much the exact same.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 March 2018, 12:20:36 by mogo »

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 12:17:23 »
Great, agreed, [Menu] is out - it was only there for old time's sake.

My only concern is there will be two [Fn] keys for those who also split the [RShift]. Alternates for [Menu] could also be [HYPER] or [META], borrowing from Hyper7 et. al.

And good call on bringing the design to the new page, much easier to reference.

edit for nitpickyness: Looking at a few of the legends, I'm guessing you'll have to alter your renders for some of the caps. Based on this image of SA Carbon, the navigation keys use the abbreviated DEL and INS and PAGE UP is split into two lines. Scroll Lock is just LOCK. I acknowledge that Carbon is a double-shot set and this will be dyesub, but I suspect that the legends will be pretty much the exact same.

- I'm quite partial to the fully-spelled words but this is not a dealbreaker - whatever comes out as cheapest works for me.
- The formatting on [PAGE UP] is a feature of KLE-Render - it does wrap text however I'm guessing "UP" is too short to do this and I haven't been able to force the format with spaces or anything else without putting the words on separate locations. This will be ironed out once we start talking with SP in earnest.
- I've seen both [SCROLL LOCK] and [LOCK]. I don't really mind either way, again whatever's cheaper. [SCROLL LOCK] is more consistent with the rest of the [*LOCK]s, but [LOCK] does look nicer. I don't use nor will my board have this key or [NUM LOCK], they're only there for legacy 100% support, so I'll go wherever the momentum carries. Having both [NUM LOCK] and [SCROLL LOCK] as (2) R1 [LOCK]s makes these keys a little more versatile for those bootstrapping missing keys.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 March 2018, 14:00:49 by emenelopee »

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 14:22:09 »
Very interesting idea! I could be in :D

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 16:07:08 »
Great, agreed, [Menu] is out - it was only there for old time's sake.

My only concern is there will be two [Fn] keys for those who also split the [RShift]. Alternates for [Menu] could also be [HYPER] or [META], borrowing from Hyper7 et. al.

And good call on bringing the design to the new page, much easier to reference.

- I'm quite partial to the fully-spelled words but this is not a dealbreaker - whatever comes out as cheapest works for me.
- The formatting on [PAGE UP] is a feature of KLE-Render - it does wrap text however I'm guessing "UP" is too short to do this and I haven't been able to force the format with spaces or anything else without putting the words on separate locations. This will be ironed out once we start talking with SP in earnest.
- I've seen both [SCROLL LOCK] and [LOCK]. I don't really mind either way, again whatever's cheaper. [SCROLL LOCK] is more consistent with the rest of the [*LOCK]s, but [LOCK] does look nicer. I don't use nor will my board have this key or [NUM LOCK], they're only there for legacy 100% support, so I'll go wherever the momentum carries. Having both [NUM LOCK] and [SCROLL LOCK] as (2) R1 [LOCK]s makes these keys a little more versatile for those bootstrapping missing keys.
Tbh I would like a meta key. I mapped it to menu for emacs lol. having two fn keys seems silly.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 16:15:09 »
My full size Ducky came with a 1.25 FN key in place of menu, there aren't many 100% customs to cover  but boards with backlights need an FN and that's a common spot for it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 18:03:54 »
My full size Ducky came with a 1.25 FN key in place of menu, there aren't many 100% customs to cover  but boards with backlights need an FN and that's a common spot for it.

It's not whether it's needed per se, it's what's printed on the cap so it doesn't look funky.

I'm pretty agnostic. I use my bottom right for media controls - if it were fully up to me I'd have this:

But I'm at peace with this never happening.

Taking a leaf out of MiTo's Pulse, it'll probably be a simple GLOW text or similar. The split [RShift] has already taken [Fn].

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 18:40:11 »

Not an impossible request. They'd probably go into the Extension kit. Would that work?

Yes, putting them in the Extension kit sounds like the right place to me.

I find Fn more useful than Menu, but I suspect a lot of people use Menu.  Personally, I've been ignoring the menu and windows keys since they started showing up on keyboards, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.  For me, that's a good space for a novelty, since I only press it by accident.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 23:56:43 »
I'm someone who uses the menu key regularly; I'd rather it not say FN because of the aforementioned split Rshift issue, but I'm perfectly fine with Meta/Hyper/Glow/other legends.

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 07:36:19 »
I might have missed it reading the thread but shouldn't the ISO return/enter key be the darker green?

E5XKBP10140                 GH60 Iso/Ansi hybrid, cherry mx red

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 08:31:26 »
This set is all one colour - glowy green.  Some of the mock ups are daylight others in the dark.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mogo

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 22:19:01 »
I might have missed it reading the thread but shouldn't the ISO return/enter key be the darker green?

This set is all one color. :P

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 01:59:15 »

This set is all one colour - glowy green.  Some of the mock ups are daylight others in the dark.

Ahaa. Well, I'm glowing red right now.  :-[ :D

E5XKBP10140                 GH60 Iso/Ansi hybrid, cherry mx red

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 20:46:15 »
Humm, makes me think I need to make the graphics more obvious - are they not clear enough?

UPDATE: Working on a few novelty ideas today, and now suddenly I'm inspired with words such as "RAD!" and "TUBULAR!" and "YO!". I'm pushing this particular inspiration away. "GNARLY!"
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2018, 00:23:13 by emenelopee »

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 21:44:48 »
Humm, makes me think I need to make the graphics more obvious.

UPDATE: Working on a few novelty ideas today, and now suddenly I'm inspired with words such as "RAD!" and "TUBULAR!" and "YO!". I'm pushing this particular inspiration away. "GNARLY!"

GNARLY! better be on the backspace or I'm going to riot.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 21:49:40 »
"HIGHSCHOOL RELATIONSHIP DRAMA GANG"

More pertinently, some novelty mockups:

a. A little too Carbon-esque, though perhaps different enough. It's the LED array on my UV torch/flashlight;
b. Speaks to me most, best reflects the word "GLOW";
c: Cute but not what this set is about;
d-g: Phosphorus is the element named after Phosphor, "A phosphor, most generally, is a substance that exhibits the phenomenon of luminescence", variations in the electron arrangement pf phosphorus;
h: Generic atom. Hark! The Future!;
i: Alchemy's symbol of Phosphorus. This is solidly in the "meh" pile, but worth taking a look at if only as an example of uninspired design.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2018, 00:57:47 by emenelopee »

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 00:48:37 »
"HIGHSCHOOL RELATIONSHIP DRAMA GANG"

More pertinently, some novelty mockups:

Show Image

a. A little too Carbon-esque, though perhaps different enough. It's the LED array on my UV torch/flashlight;
b. Speaks to me most, best reflects the word "GLOW";
c: Cute but now what this set is about;
d-g: Phosphorus is the element named after Phosphor, "A phosphor, most generally, is a substance that exhibits the phenomenon of luminescence", variations in the electron arrangement pf phosphorus;
h: Generic atom. Hark! The Future!;
i: Alchemy's symbol of Phosphorus. This is solidly in the "meh" pile, but worth taking a look at if only as an example of uninspired design.
Omg I LOVE the fire escape symbol. What about the nuclear waste symbol?

Also the biohazard one

That also gives me a great idea for the name: SA HAZARD, SA NUCLEAR/NUCLEAR WASTE, or SA WASTE. personally I like SA HAZARD.

EDIT: SA UV/ SA ULTRAVIOLET, SA XRAY
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2018, 00:52:32 by captsis »

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 00:56:40 »
I was thinking along these lines but there's a little too much overlap with TOXIC.

If the name would change, and that's a big IF, it would be along the lines of PHOSPHOR SA, but I GLOW SA is it. It does what is says on the tin. Courtesy of mogo who had to point out the obvious when my mind was overthinking the simple.

EDIT: this could be a decent Return Novelty:

Again, I'm not feeling it too much, and I don't want this set to become a cheesy take on emergency signs. I'll give it some more of a ponder.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2018, 01:01:35 by emenelopee »

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 01:11:04 »
I really like the Glow Array symbol as well as the Phosphor E. I don't feel like the radiation symbol by itself is too close to TOXIC, but a hazard triangle around it would definitely be too much.
Edit: how about a stylized lightbulb filament, like the inside of this? 
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2018, 01:14:25 by Parva Ovis »

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 01:41:13 »
Of course! I forgot about the lightbulb - it was the first novelty I used as a placeholder in KLE. Good call, I'll get on it.

Offline mogo

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 13:57:45 »
home sick today so i figured i'd poke around in blender. Never did get the material to emit an emissive glow properly, but oh well. Good enough to do some basic cap mock-ups.

191379-0
A skeleton face based on the LEGO skeleton

191381-1
A ghost face based on the happy glowing LEGO ghost

191383-2
A moon and a couple stars, inspired by the glowing stars from mine, and many others' childhoods.

191385-3
A pac-man ghost

Offline SingSong

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 00:29:34 »

Show Image

Legit having flashbacks to my childhood.

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 10:06:34 »
Legit having flashbacks to my childhood.

Indeed. As a child, I had GID dolphins, stars, and moon on my wall, which was painted in two blue tones to simulate the sky and sea.

The radioactive symbol sounds good, fits the theme really well. If you're looking for something like the above ghost/skeleton faces, something like Android's ghost emojis seem good, a little quirky/cheeky :

(Quick mockups done in Paint.Net)

Old emoji:

Current:

Love the idea with this set! Will keep up with how it goes!

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 18:14:05 »
Thanks for the efforts, gents! I'll have a little play around this evening/weekend to study these and get some vectored-up. I'm a little worried about using copyright material, is there anyone out there with experience with this type of thing vis a vis keycap GBs?

Some updates on my GID keyboard investigations.

- First, just arrived is the GID 60% case from Aliexpress. It's still in the plastic wrap but I can see definitely more translucent than the SP GID keys which are effectively opaque. I'll check it in more detail once I get back to my workshop/kitchen.

- In the meantime, speaking of experiments, my pet pee detector (UV flashlight) has arrived. I've been shining it on a bunch of things around my house, and I can confirm the GID caps I have (four Poison caps) respond really well to the UV, both reflecting brightly, and charging with just one pass of the light over the top:

GID caps under UV at approx. 1.5m distance

A few second later, with watch and LED charging cable lume for comparison

Close up caps under covers to block all light

Close up caps under covers to block all light

- And just for fun, shining the UV torch onto a bunch of things around my apt with no rigour in offset distance or material type, just seeing what glows:

More

More

More

More

- And now some findings and public service announcement: The UV light charges the GID caps extraordinarily quickly, much quicker than any other light source I've tried, other than the sun, and the glow is very bright indeed. HOWEVER the phosphorescence is not persistent and follows a power law of 1/t (check the links for the equation form, I'm not even going to attempt to do this in the forum editor!). GID toys, and likely these caps, that use Zinc Sulphide (ZnS) as the doping agent, glow extremely bright for a few seconds (I'm talking LED bright) which quickly decays, then glow for a longer time at a lower intensity. From recent adult, and previous early childhood, experience, the glow is best experienced in pitch black with your pupils having time to dilate nice and big.

The take-home on this is the GID caps will be visible in the dark however they won't glow most brilliantly while you use your screen as the light from the screen will both drown the GID and cause your pupils to constrict making them less sensitive to the GID phosphorescence. I say all this as I don't want anyone to be under the illusion that your keyboard will look like a glowstick unless you charge it every so often with a UV light (again, the UV light charges the caps in a literal second) - this is GID material not a chemical-, electro-, or thermo-luminescent reaction.

In BONUS SCIENCE, I have run a quick trial with UV LEDs as per-key lights. I don't have any pics of this yet, but the effect is similar to regular per-key LED lighting, except there is no light bleed from around the caps as only the caps glow (I'm using a black PCB and matte black switch plate - results will vary with different PCB/switchplate colours). As the light is from below, there is a telegraphing of the thicker parts of the caps, ie. the corners around the top surface are darker than the walls. The UV LEDs I have also charge the caps harder than regular white LEDs, this is visible once you turn the backlight off.

I've also spoken with SP about options for different GID additives though this hasn't gone very far yet, though so far they don't have a range of additive options, only the one which comes from their supplier.

- NEXT STEPS: I'll try get some comparison shots of the UV and regular LED per-key lighting, and a video showing the charge/decay of the SP SA Poison caps. I'll also hopefully get some more feedback on the additives. Strontium Aluminate is a higher performing GID compound though this comes at a premium and may not be an available option, though worth asking.

- Links to the science:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorescence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_sulfide
http://laser.physics.sunysb.edu/~jill/reureport.html
https://depts.washington.edu/uwcei/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Phosphorescent_Decay.pdf

All off my Lumia 950, images untouched
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 March 2018, 18:51:42 by emenelopee »

Offline Al41

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 19:54:39 »
I don't think i could pass up a glow in the dark set. Those keycaps you put under the UV light look amazing. Here are a couple more ideas for novelties.

Offline SingSong

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 22:01:32 »

In BONUS SCIENCE, I have run a quick trial with UV LEDs as per-key lights. I don't have any pics of this yet, but the effect is similar to regular per-key LED lighting, except there is no light bleed from around the caps as only the caps glow (I'm using a black PCB and matte black switch plate - results will vary with different PCB/switchplate colours). As the light is from below, there is a telegraphing of the thicker parts of the caps, ie. the corners around the top surface are darker than the walls. The UV LEDs I have also charge the caps harder than regular white LEDs, this is visible once you turn the backlight off.

:eek:

:drool:

Offline mogo

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 09:55:37 »
Fantastic update, thanks for the pics and testing! I look forward to seeing more about that aliexpress case.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 12:43:58 »
I don't think i could pass up a glow in the dark set. Those keycaps you put under the UV light look amazing. Here are a couple more ideas for novelties.

I think there's no resisting it - the novelties will have a severe 80s/90s vibe to them.

I'll get a bunch together in the same format and put together a vote-off.

RADICAL

Offline Dolas

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 21:26:14 »
I've also spoken with SP about options for different GID additives though this hasn't gone very far yet, though so far they don't have a range of additive options, only the one which comes from their supplier.

- NEXT STEPS: I'll try get some comparison shots of the UV and regular LED per-key lighting, and a video showing the charge/decay of the SP SA Poison caps. I'll also hopefully get some more feedback on the additives. Strontium Aluminate is a higher performing GID compound though this comes at a premium and may not be an available option, though worth asking.

You can try to get Lit added to the caps.  I've used it as a paint additive before and it's insane.  I'll probably paint my case with it to go with these caps and some UV led's for that extra eye burning radioactive look.

https://culturehustle.com/collections/frontpage/products/lit-the-worlds-glowiest-glow-pigment-100-pure-lit-powder-by-stuart-semple

Offline mogo

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 00:21:45 »
Lit is insane. I love that pigment powder. Absolutely the best glow.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 22:40:39 »

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 00:24:23 »
Update: a few additional novelties on poorly exported jpg. You get the picture - give me your thoughts!

My personal thoughts? The Generic Plastic Building Block Characters don't work, but I'm digging the lightbulb esp. the single filament wiggle. Also the EXIT signs for the return is growing on me.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 March 2018, 00:59:12 by emenelopee »

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 02:48:43 »
Update: a few additional novelties on poorly exported jpg. You get the picture - give me your thoughts!

Show Image

My personal thoughts? The Generic Plastic Building Block Characters don't work, but I'm digging the lightbulb esp. the single filament wiggle. Also the EXIT signs for the return is growing on me.

Really digging the novelty's thought hate to say this the lego based ones might need to be tweaked.. I am not a lawyer but I would assume they are most likely patent designs.. thought really digging this entire set

Offline mogo

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 08:21:55 »

Show Image

Given that your eyes will struggle to make out detail in low-light scenarios, the atomic models just don't seem like a great choice. I like big, simple, easily seen legends, like the faces, the nuclear symbol, maybe the lightbulb (or maybe a different icon without a filament, just my personal preference). I have no strong feelings on the Exit signs, they're close enough to being in theme.

I'd love to see at least one symbol offered for 2x 1.25 keys as winkey stand-ins, as Carbon did.

Speaking of Carbon, it's got that rad Lambda symbol, as a nod to its similarities to Half-Life's aesthetic. Half-Life also features a lot of glowing nuclear ooze...

I would personally enjoy a lambda on my set. ;P

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 12:45:42 »
Given that your eyes will struggle to make out detail in low-light scenarios, the atomic models just don't seem like a great choice. I like big, simple, easily seen legends, like the faces, the nuclear symbol, maybe the lightbulb (or maybe a different icon without a filament, just my personal preference). I have no strong feelings on the Exit signs, they're close enough to being in theme.

I'd love to see at least one symbol offered for 2x 1.25 keys as winkey stand-ins, as Carbon did.

Speaking of Carbon, it's got that rad Lambda symbol, as a nod to its similarities to Half-Life's aesthetic. Half-Life also features a lot of glowing nuclear ooze...

I would personally enjoy a lambda on my set. ;P

- I'm not too worried about the fine detail being visible, the poison cap is fairly intricate and not a visual issue, but they're not in my top list of favourites anyway;
- The nuclear symbol is meh in my eyes;
- The sizes are not final and there will likely be some 1.25 keys. The mockups are just a scratchboard for now trying out ideas. On this note, I'm not sure why novelty keys are usually so heavy on the 1u, and I'm not particularly into novelties, so this is really at the mercy of the community;
- On this note, I really like the single filament - I think it's a great identity for the set as a whole an is my flavour of the week;
- The exit signs look neat as a [return], otherwise I'm ambivalent
- The Lambda on Carbon was explicitly labelled as "used with permission from Valve" when it ran on MD. See me earlier thoughts and HotRodX's comment on IP.

I'll put a few more together and get a poll up. Keep those ideas coming and we'll see what happens when they get put to a vote.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 14:12:49 »
Row 1: I like almost all of these but don't love them. The exit is my least favorite and phosphorus type 3 is my favorite.
Row 2: I like both the faces but the skeleton heads and the ghosts look awkward to me.
Row 3: The single filament is the best but I also really like the radiation, slime, and spiral. I feel that a radiation symbol in a set themed around glowing is a necessity, but I'm biased.  :)
Row 4: I can't put my finger on why, but it looks "wrong" for the arrows to be pointing to the right. Of course, left-facing arrows on the left side of the keyboard wouldn't look very good either.
Row 5: My favorite to least favorite is right to left. I think the word looks cleaner than the person.

I'm trying to think of other novelty possibilities but so far the only two that come to mind are an OPEN sign or a lava lamp.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 14:43:22 »
Nice detailed feedback, thx.

Row 1: I'm with you on the top row - of these only the arrays (a and b) are doing it for me;
Row 2: I'm a fan of Lego, and I get the nostalgia reference, but these don't quite sit with me and the feel of the set. Agreed though the faces are best for the context of a keycap, though the heads aren't too bad;
Row 3: I think we're stuck with Radiation! Used extensively elsewhere already (Carbon), along with a bunch of other ISO signs (explosion, lightning, biohazard, fire, etc.) so not a new idea but fits a GID concept. The bulb and single filament is cute, abstract, and on theme. Blob/spiral - eh. Maybe some highlights on the blob will help;
Row 4: The signs are universal, the exit is not always to your left! Please be aware your closest exit may be behind you.
Row 5: I'm ambivalent. Needs some more riffing on the idea, but I don't want this to become a set of emergency signage.

A lavalamp blob is interesting, I'll make a mockup. Emergency OPEN is not a scenario I'm familiar with!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 15:29:41 »
Would really like to see this in person if it's made :eek:

No need for LED shine through legends :p

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 23:01:45 »
Some more messing around and copyright infrigement.

Updated:

- full body ghosts are out;
- a new radiation;
- blob has highlights;
- spiral is rotated for better composition;
- moon and stars (h/t mogo), and a moon/star smiley face!;
- various copyright infringing silhouettes;
- new 1.25u row.

« Last Edit: Mon, 19 March 2018, 23:05:22 by emenelopee »

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #141 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 23:27:53 »
Here's an idea I had for a 2x3x4 LED novelty:

I think the blob highlights would look better like this:

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #142 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 08:51:27 »
I like "phosphorus type 1" (d) and "generic atom" (h). Not too fond of the Lego characters though (don't get me wrong, I love Lego, just doesn't feel like it fits here). 3rd row of novelties look good, preferring the "moon type 1" (v) more than type 2.

For the 2.25 size ones, I very much prefer the "EXIT" text versions.

I'm curious though, where will the 1.75 key fit? As a capslock? (sorry, I'm kinda new, been lurking around, looks like there's much more to learn)

As for ideas, the glow arrays gave me an idea.. since we're onto "infringing" designs, how about an "infringing high-tech curved mini power plant"? Might be a nice replacement for the radiation symbol if it's too generic (personally ok with radiation symbol)

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #143 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 12:37:19 »
A few more. The lava lamps didn't come out as I had imagined, they're a little too tall and thin for the square canvas of a keycap. Thoughts?

Parva, I can't see your images, but I was actually working on a little LED option. It's a standard dome rather than the 2x3x4, though perhaps the 2x3x4 would look cleaner? The dome is probably more recognisable. How have you done the blob highlights? Mine indeed look shoddy.

I like "phosphorus type 1" (d) and "generic atom" (h). Not too fond of the Lego characters though (don't get me wrong, I love Lego, just doesn't feel like it fits here). 3rd row of novelties look good, preferring the "moon type 1" (v) more than type 2.

I'm curious though, where will the 1.75 key fit? As a capslock? (sorry, I'm kinda new, been lurking around, looks like there's much more to learn)

As for ideas, the glow arrays gave me an idea.. since we're onto "infringing" designs, how about an "infringing high-tech curved mini power plant"? Might be a nice replacement for the radiation symbol if it's too generic (personally ok with radiation symbol)

- Lego is on the precipice, both visually and risk of IP-violation, esp. with SP being involved;
- EXIT is also floating my boat. The running man is cute but perhaps too busy;
- 1.75u is indeed for the caps - many people remap caps to another key (ctrl is common, I have it as return/ctrl combo)
- That's a Metallic Superhero reference? I'll put that on the "likely not" pile, but a good idea!
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2018, 12:50:11 by emenelopee »

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #144 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 13:06:01 »
I accidentally used the wrong link to my images. These should show up now. The quality is meh but the idea should be clear.

Offline mogo

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 13:08:46 »
A few more. The lava lamps didn't come out as I had imagined, they're a little too tall and thin for the square canvas of a keycap. Thoughts?

Parva, I can't see your images, but I was actually working on a little LED option. It's a standard dome rather than the 2x3x4, though perhaps the 2x3x4 would look cleaner? The dome is probably more recognisable. How have you done the blob highlights? Mine indeed look shoddy.

Show Image

- Lego is on the precipice, both visually and risk of IP-violation, esp. with SP being involved;
- EXIT is also floating my boat. The running man is cute but perhaps too busy;
- 1.75u is indeed for the caps - many people remap caps to another key (ctrl is common, I have it as return/ctrl combo)
- That's a Metallic Superhero reference? I'll put that on the "likely not" pile, but a good idea!

k. I like the public domain greek letter lambda  :thumb:
l. The LED is a nice enough idea. I like it as much as the lightbulbs, really.
m/n/o. I think the n. legend is the best lava lamp option, though i'm ambivilent to them in general.

And to the earlier post,
k. I still love my lego faces, but this face-only one is my favorite. I'd go with it over all the others, personally.
p/q. I love the inverted nuclear symbol. I love them both and I hope to see both of them in the set. You may think it lazy, but I think the nuclear symbol is the most on-brand icon for the whole set.
v/w. Yay stars and moon!
x-af. I like the ghosts and invader the most here. Not feeling the plumber though.

1.25u c/d. GLOW or glow, either look great, but I think you should pick which you want and have two of the same case.

I accidentally used the wrong link to my images. These should show up now. The quality is meh but the idea should be clear.
Show Image

I like that blob much more. And I know flat-top LEDs are common, but I feel that the round-top ones are more iconic.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 13:20:16 »
- The square LED does look neater. Either is a nice accompaniment to the bulb/filament;
- and that's a much better blob, good job with the blob!;
- I'll keep the lego faces and put it to a more formal vote over the next few days. Bear in mind SP might kick up a fuss, no promises!
- I'm also ambivalent about the lavas. Probably DOA unless a flash of genius comes along;
- Nuclear will stay, let's see which one gets more love;
- nondenominational ghost/alien/plumber are out - there is no way SP would make these, it was really just me ****ing around yesterday;
- G L O W vs. g l o w - there is no right answer. I need to figure a font. Currently Segoe UI Light. Still needs some work, and this will likely go into the base set, and even on the [return] key. Branding and all that.;

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 13:24:39 »
Designs I'm digging:
 - square led
 - lone filament
 - "glow" text
 - light array
 - glow array
 - each of the phosphorous ones

Each of these feels really nice and I feel they match the theme best of things that give off light.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 14:00:39 »
An emergency exit sign would be pretty dope

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 14:05:07 »
Still don't have the GNARLY! backspace :'(
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys