Author Topic: Cheap aluminum top plate manufacturing? CouchSurfer Group Buy?!  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Arrythmia

• CouchSurfer Designer+Custom Wood Cases
    • Keyboard Cottage
Hello fellow clack addicts!

I recently posted an [IC] for my CouchSurfer handmade lapdesk project (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94445.msg2572882#msg2572882)

And it was fairly well received on r/mechanicalkeyboard and r/mechmarket, and has garnered a bit of attention. I've made some adaptations and the final product is intended to be used with the new wireless YD60BLE PCB by KBDfans;

but I need some help sourcing cost efficient top plates!

I was thinking of cannibalizing some Sentraq 60% sandwich cases for their plates, as they will be able to handle most if not all of the layout options on the YD60 and I won't have to stray too far from the current aesthetic or functionality in my build process, but would have excess parts and don't know if that's "ethically" sound in the community to do....?

Anyone have suggestions on where to get a sandwich style top plate like that for less than Sentraq's ~$50 per unit? I could use advice from some [GB] and custom board vets!

The CouchSurfer - wireless 60% lapdesk for gaming and HTPC's

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Cheap aluminum top plate manufacturing? CouchSurfer Group Buy?!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 10:54:28 »
$50 is way too much to be paying wholesale for a plate, the sandwhich case has two plates and probably spacers and screws so you'd be buying a lot of stuff you don't want.

If you're thinking of buying lots (price breaks depend how may fit on a sheet so you'd need to ask what size they use) you could design your perfect plate on Swill's excellent website and get some quotes from local cutters to save shipping costs.  That way you can get a test switch hole cut while you wait to ensure it's perfect before committing to a full order.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Arrythmia

• Keyboard Cottage
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 18:55:17 »
$50 is way too much to be paying wholesale for a plate, the sandwhich case has two plates and probably spacers and screws so you'd be buying a lot of stuff you don't want.

If you're thinking of buying lots (price breaks depend how may fit on a sheet so you'd need to ask what size they use) you could design your perfect plate on Swill's excellent website and get some quotes from local cutters to save shipping costs.  That way you can get a test switch hole cut while you wait to ensure it's perfect before committing to a full order.

Since my project (and hopefully soon-to-be product) is currently a handmade affair, I would be looking at about 5 to 10 units each "round" on group order, so high-volume orders are not necessary at the moment, but I'm having difficulty finding anyone that manufactures something comparable for less. Lasergist for a standard 60% plate design is roughly $70 before shipping, and Ponoko doesn't get much cheaper either. Local cutters in my area are also out to make a fair fortune, it seems, as the lowest quote I've gotten using the same .dxf file from swillkb is practically $100 per unit!

I'd love to get the CouchSurfer up and running as an affordable case for people who have living room PC's or just want a lapdesk in general, but I don't want to overcharge people simply because I can't find cheaper alternatives.

If I go the Sentraq 60% case route, my cost is good enough to get the case down to roughly $170 "retail" after material and labor (as the wood portion is currently made by hand by me personally). I think that's a rather fair price, as Woodkeys.click and Datamancer charge similar rates for wood cases that aren't quite as specialty, and I put passionate handcrafting into each board. The quality of my woodworking is rather good, but I am no CNC machine, so the "perfection" aspect is something else to contend with when it comes to cost as well.

Thank you very much for the advice, _orange, and I look forward to contributing to this community even more!

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 14:51:22 »
have you tried aliexpress.com...or maybe bang goods

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 17:01:33 »
Send an email to alex [at] anangchina.com asking for a quote. These gentlemen are genial, helpful and skilled. They made these for me.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Arrythmia

• Keyboard Cottage
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 01:08:59 »
Send an email to alex [at] anangchina.com asking for a quote. These gentlemen are genial, helpful and skilled. They made these for me.

Interesting plates. About how much did your order cost overall, and how many units did you order?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 02:58:34 »

Interesting plates. About how much did your order cost overall, and how many units did you order?
110,00 USD for five units and shipment to Italy with TNT.

Offline Arrythmia

• Keyboard Cottage
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 03:31:28 »

110,00 USD for five units and shipment to Italy with TNT.
[/quote]

Wow, that's a fantastic price actually. Thanks for the suggestion! I've emailed them, and I'll hopefully have my quote and order soon :)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 04:04:51 »
Don't mention. Hope you like them.