Author Topic: 60% plate mod to support split spacebar  (Read 3267 times)

Offline DonnyD

60% plate mod to support split spacebar
« on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 13:44:48 »
Firs things first: I am hand-wiring my keyboard, so don't worry about PCB.
If it is possible to mod regular 60% plate to support split space bar ? I am thinking just splitting spacebar, not rearranging other keys.
Also it will be great to make it compatible with these options below (see picture). It can be different key sizes, but point is to support 2,3 keys split.
Will plate loose enough structural integrity to feel the difference ?
For reference take this brass plate from 1upKeyboards (https://1upkeyboards.com/diy-60-brass-plate-kits.html).

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: 60% plate mod to support split spacebar
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 14:14:59 »
Nevermind whether it's structurally sound or not how are you intending to cut the holes?  Handwiring requires a perfect plate or the switches won't be straight, will be really obvious using wide mods as you plant to do.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 14:56:47 »
Nevermind whether it's structurally sound or not how are you intending to cut the holes?  Handwiring requires a perfect plate or the switches won't be straight, will be really obvious using wide mods as you plant to do.

This^ If you just do rough cuts with a dremel or grinder it'll prove very problematic to get the switches lined up properly. As far as your plan goes though if you can get someone to laser cut (or some other very precise cutting method) the plate for you it is definitely something that is very doable.

Offline Utterlybemused

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 06:27:47 »
You could pretty easily get this done using a couple of freely available tools, on http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/ create a standard 60% layout then overlap your extra space position options on top of the existing spacebar like this,

Code: [Select]
["~\n`","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=",{w:2},"Backspace"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{w:1.5},"|\n\\"],
[{w:1.75},"Caps Lock","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{w:2.25},"Enter"],
[{w:2.25},"Shift","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{w:2.75},"Shift"],
[{w:1.25},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{a:7,w:6.25},"",{x:-6.25,w:3.25},"",{x:-3.25,w:2.5},"",{w:1.25},"",{x:-0.5,w:3},"",{x:-2.5,f:2.5,w:2.5},"",{a:4,f:3,w:1.25},"Alt",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Menu",{w:1.25},"Ctrl"]

Now take your raw data and pop it into http://builder.swillkb.com/ with options for pok3r 60% case and corners at 2 it comes out like this,

From the builder you can order a custom plate directly from lasergist or download the files and get it cut somewhere more convenient for you. Would not try and do any cuts or modifications to a standard plate as you will probably just make a mess and end up binning it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2018, 06:31:21 by Utterlybemused »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 08:06:39 »
You could pretty easily get this done using
More
a couple of freely available tools, on http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/ create a standard 60% layout then overlap your extra space position options on top of the existing spacebar like this,

Code: [Select]
["~\n`","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=",{w:2},"Backspace"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{w:1.5},"|\n\\"],
[{w:1.75},"Caps Lock","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{w:2.25},"Enter"],
[{w:2.25},"Shift","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{w:2.75},"Shift"],
[{w:1.25},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{a:7,w:6.25},"",{x:-6.25,w:3.25},"",{x:-3.25,w:2.5},"",{w:1.25},"",{x:-0.5,w:3},"",{x:-2.5,f:2.5,w:2.5},"",{a:4,f:3,w:1.25},"Alt",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Menu",{w:1.25},"Ctrl"]

Now take your raw data and pop it into http://builder.swillkb.com/ with options for pok3r 60% case and corners at 2 it comes out like this,

Show Image

From the builder you can order a custom plate directly from lasergist or download the files and get it cut somewhere more convenient for you. Would not try and do any cuts or modifications to a standard plate as you will probably just make a mess and end up binning it.
Theoretically this is correct but remember that DonnyD is aiming to a hand wired keyboard. Those large short spacebars holes would make the switches slide sideways and glueing them could change the switch feeling.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline DonnyD

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 10:55:29 »
Great idea with overlapping keys !! But as mentioned, keys could be not sturdy enough. So the question is how do I make it more secure to the plate ? As glue is even kinda soft after curing, it  wont fit very well. I need harder material. Maybe resin/epoxy ? Will it be hard to remove it after it cures ? I think welding some metal pieces would be too difficult and permenent, whish is not the point of this plate.
Thanks for your replys and hope to see more :)

Offline Utterlybemused

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:07:37 »
You could maybe make some small metal bars out sandwiched sheet the same thickness as the plate, put a piece the size of the switch mount on another slightly longer piece and superglue those to the underside of the plate to give you a flush mount to stop the sliding, its semipermanent but you can easily remove and reposition them using acetone to break up the superglue and then use one of the other layouts. Not sure how else you would make a hand wired plate that would work with all three layouts and be secure.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:25:36 »
If I were you, I would design a fixed layout and have it lasercut at a factory.

Offline DonnyD

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 15:15:00 »
In that case, what key combination would be best ? As i am planning buying only XDA, DSA profile keycaps, it will help getting right keycaps more easily. Is 2.25-1.25-2.75 most popular ? I dont think 3-3.25 that common...

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 17:16:58 »
In that case, what key combination would be best ? As i am planning buying only XDA, DSA profile keycaps, it will help getting right keycaps more easily. Is 2.25-1.25-2.75 most popular ? I dont think 3-3.25 that common...
There's a raising interest towards 3u spacebars but I know little of those keycaps profiles.
Ultimately you should go with whatever you believe it's the best for you.