Author Topic: Need keycap 3D file in quads for Blender.  (Read 3036 times)

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
Need keycap 3D file in quads for Blender.
« on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 20:17:54 »
Does anyone have a base keycap in quads not triangles. I've tried to fix some of the triangle mesh ones but they are just too convoluted to be converted fully to quads.

I need it as quads so I can sculpt on top and 3D print them.

I tried to build one but I'm having issues getting the measurements exact in blender. I tried importing SVG files but Blender doesn't maintain exact scale of SVGs that are set to exact measurements.

I know Blender isn't meant for CAD stuff but since I want to actually sculpt with the sculpt tool a CAD program is useless for that and neither tinkercad nor fusion 360 and any easy way to make a trapezoid to start building a keycap to export. I don't understand why I cant just grab and edge in a cad program and move it where I want.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
Re: Need keycap 3D file in quads for Blender.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:50:32 »
Post the models you have in mind here, I'll see what I can do.

Blender isn't that bad at CAD. A lot of architectural design people use it. Has dedicated addons for that and other resources.
I use it side by side with Fusion. It does some stuff better and faster. In general, having any mesh tool in addition to a CAD tool in the pipeline makes a lot of things faster, easier, and more intuitive.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
Re: Need keycap 3D file in quads for Blender.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 07:41:11 »
Post the models you have in mind here, I'll see what I can do.

Blender isn't that bad at CAD. A lot of architectural design people use it. Has dedicated addons for that and other resources.
I use it side by side with Fusion. It does some stuff better and faster. In general, having any mesh tool in addition to a CAD tool in the pipeline makes a lot of things faster, easier, and more intuitive.

I'm at work so I don't know which models I was playing with but here is a github repo   https://github.com/ConstantinoSchillebeeckx/cherry-mx-keycaps
Here is an old thread with a diagram of the dimensions: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47039.0

I was able to make the key in Blender but not the stem.  I have not figured out how to cut the cross out of a 3D cylinder since you get either a single solid end or pie slices.