Author Topic: terminal space saver  (Read 8756 times)

Offline Tr0j4nM4x1mus

terminal space saver
« on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 12:16:50 »
after seeing alot of the full size boards being cut down & still using their original controller it made me wonder if you could use a standard model m controller in a terminal model m space saver....since the prices of space saver have gotten so high & the terminal ones can be found cheaper.
Has anyone tried this???
Keyboards - 4 Cherry G80-3000lscrc-2 (two with black DS keys one with black & white DS keys)
HHKB Professional white
2 ABS M1 (modded with complicated alps one with pinks & one with rubber bumper whites)
2 IBM Model M\'s one 89 & one 97
Dell AT-101W black (modded with rubber bumper whites- M1 keys)
Focus FK2001 with cover
Focus FK2000 with cover
Unicomp Model M black mighty mouse
Cherry G84-4100 white

Looking For - Compaq G80-1838

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
terminal space saver
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 12:25:17 »
I just did this last night.   I swapped in the circuit board from a Mini that was destroyed during shipping into a Terminal Mini and it worked perfectly.   Later on, I'll try the full size Model M circuit board to see if that works as well.  I would assume that it would work, but that the hidden numpad functions probably wouldn't.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
terminal space saver
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 12:44:06 »
A PCB swap from some full-size Ms has been confirmed. Apparently it's a matter of finding the types that will fit.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=9564

Here are some pictures uploaded to Picassa by the Pioneer of this swap, jvhaarst.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
terminal space saver
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 12:47:01 »
The trick is to simply not plug in the extra ribbon cable. The number pad won't work, [strike]but that won't matter since there are no number pad symbols printed on the terminal Ms.[/strike]

Edit: I was wrong, some terminal space savers do indeed have number pad symbols.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 April 2010, 13:14:45 by nowsharing »

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
terminal space saver
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 12:59:07 »
A full and complete set of printed Space Saving Mini keycaps can be purchased from Chuck at Unicomp.   I bought a bunch of sets thinking that I would simply replace all of the units with new keycaps until I realized how nicely they clean up.   And best of all......only $20 a set.  

Later on when I get a chance, I'll post about all of the different keycaps available and the various color options.  Fun to accessorize the "KING" of keyboards  ;-))

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
terminal space saver
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 13:00:16 »
Quote from: nowsharing;173472
The trick is to simply not plug in the extra ribbon cable. The number pad won't work, but that won't matter since there are no number pad symbols printed on the terminal Ms.

My terminal M has numpad symbols printed.  So I assume that the function worked with the terminal circuit boards.  But the layout is VERY different from the standard Space Saving Mini.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
terminal space saver
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 13:12:40 »
A full and complete set of printed Space Saving Mini keycaps can be purchased from Chuck at Unicomp.
That's good news. I'm looking forward to your pictures, and to see if you are able to complete the mod as easily as it's been described to me. I won't be able to attempt the swap until August, which should hopefully give me enough time to locate a couple of suitable PCBs.

My terminal M has numpad symbols printed.
I wonder if that means that you'll have the available ribbon in there to connect it? Like you said, it's probably a lot different though. My terminal space savers are missing the numpad symbols entirely.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
terminal space saver
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 13:19:13 »
The key ticket would be to find Space Saving circuit boards.  I know for a fact that the swap is direct and works perfectly.  Takes all of 2 minutes.  

The other issue is that you'll need to find an SDL cable.  All of a sudden, those are becoming rare and difficult to find.  And once they are gone, I doubt anyone will make any more??

Offline Tr0j4nM4x1mus

terminal space saver
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 13:28:32 »
I figure I would just wait for a good deal on ebay for a full size & use it as a donor.. or just use the one I have....I just wanted to make sure it will work before I buy the mini
Keyboards - 4 Cherry G80-3000lscrc-2 (two with black DS keys one with black & white DS keys)
HHKB Professional white
2 ABS M1 (modded with complicated alps one with pinks & one with rubber bumper whites)
2 IBM Model M\'s one 89 & one 97
Dell AT-101W black (modded with rubber bumper whites- M1 keys)
Focus FK2001 with cover
Focus FK2000 with cover
Unicomp Model M black mighty mouse
Cherry G84-4100 white

Looking For - Compaq G80-1838

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
terminal space saver
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 13:37:53 »
I guess that I lucked out in getting a $3 SDL cable a few weeks back.

A space saver PCB might be impossible to find though, short of buying a space saver. I must confess to never actually using the number pad on my current PS2 mini, so it's not at the top of my priorities.

Offline JohnElliott

terminal space saver
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 14:38:15 »
When you do the swap, do the terminal keys (F13-F24 and the left block of 10) work? And if so, what scancodes do they return?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
terminal space saver
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 15:30:57 »
John I believe this is for the minis, not 122-keys.

Without meaning to be rude or anything, it seems we end up with a whole lot of "will this terminal _______ work if I do ________?" threads when the majority of the information can be determined from existing ones...
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline JohnElliott

terminal space saver
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 17:54:55 »
Quote from: kishy;173509
John I believe this is for the minis, not 122-keys.

Without meaning to be rude or anything, it seems we end up with a whole lot of "will this terminal _______ work if I do ________?" threads when the majority of the information can be determined from existing ones...

This is what comes of not having pictures. I was imagining the terminal keyboard as having 104 keys like a 1387033, but I take it the minis in question have an 84-key layout.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
terminal space saver
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 18:09:17 »
I'm to blame for some of the fuss, but it would be nice to just find out if it's possible out of curiosity. The terminals Ms are like the forbidden fruit of the keyboard kingdom :) The terminal minis are especially interesting, and you wouldn't think that just putting in a 102-key M's board would work.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
terminal space saver
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 18:10:23 »
Err, let me rephrase that. I wouldn't think that it would work. You told me that it probably would a while ago though :)