Author Topic: New in box Ortek MCK-101FX  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Wazrach

• Buckling Spring Fanatic
New in box Ortek MCK-101FX
« on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 13:13:44 »
Hi guys! I was extremely lucky to grab a brand new in-box Ortek MCK-101FX from Ebay. It's a bit flimsy and feels a bit plasticky, but for £29.95 shipped - I really cannot grumble. The switches are unbranded clicky Alps clones. Any idea what they are, who made them and how reliable they might be? There isn't an awful lot of information online.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: New in box Ortek MCK-101FX
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 13:38:25 »
Doubleshot Alps caps in multiple colors are very desirable too.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 13:42:34 »

Yeah, the caps alone make your purchase worth it, imo. I love those RGB mods. Nice find!

Those switches should be 4 tab clone. Never had a chance to try any but NIB ones should be pretty good I'd think!

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Four-tab_clone

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 15:06:47 »

Yeah, the caps alone make your purchase worth it, imo. I love those RGB mods. Nice find!

Those switches should be 4 tab clone. Never had a chance to try any but NIB ones should be pretty good I'd think!

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Four-tab_clone

here's a typing demo! They are pretty nice actually, although they'd probably be much nicer with a metal mounting plate and a more solid case.

I have to agree with you with the RGB keys. It just completes the look IMO. I find it interesting that these Tai Hao doubleshots have exactly the same feeling as my Tai Hao Dolch doubleshot ABS caps, if that makes sense. You can tell they were made by the same manufacturer, just by typing on them.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 September 2018, 15:17:08 by Wazrach »

Offline nevin

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 08:52:22 »
nice find. kudos. sounds great.

info: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Ortek_MCK-101
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 15:49:14 »

Thanks! I already checked the Deskthority wiki. It doesn't specify what switches this thing has - they're just unbranded Alps clones. I'd be really interested in finding out who made these and how reliable they are. I know Omron B3GS switches are ridiculously unreliable, although they aren't really Alps clones.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 07:02:44 »

Thanks! I already checked the Deskthority wiki. It doesn't specify what switches this thing has - they're just unbranded Alps clones. I'd be really interested in finding out who made these and how reliable they are. I know Omron B3GS switches are ridiculously unreliable, although they aren't really Alps clones.
They look like Hua-Jie AK to me from here, although you'd need to do a closer inspection to confirm. At least they have the wide steel leaves - those tend to be noticeably better than the copper mantis foot ones in my experience.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 13:12:48 »

They look like Hua-Jie AK to me from here, although you'd need to do a closer inspection to confirm. At least they have the wide steel leaves - those tend to be noticeably better than the copper mantis foot ones in my experience.

Thanks for the reply Thomas! My camera quality isn't very good, so the pictures I took are probably the best I can do. Do you have any idea how reliable the switches are?

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 13:20:32 »
Caps look nice.

Nothin like new old stock!

Offline nachie

• KapCave
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 13:52:15 »
Great find. The caps look nice, and I can bet NOS whites feel very close to most SKCM Blues.
AHKB | GSKT-00 | Arya | Båge | Paladin64

Offline Wazrach

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 14:48:34 »
Great find. The caps look nice, and I can bet NOS whites feel very close to most SKCM Blues.

Unfortunately, these aren't Alps switches. Never tried White or Blue Alps, but I think the difference would be huge.