Author Topic: How do you feel about multiple base kits?  (Read 2938 times)

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
How do you feel about multiple base kits?
« on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 12:45:12 »
There are several approaches to group buy kits:
  • All-in-one
  • Base set + modifier kits
  • Alphas + modifier kits
  • Mix of the above

Without going into the pros and cons of each, why isn't a "multiple base kits" approach more popular, especially in the case of a single colour alphas / modifiers? For example:
  • Tenkeyless kit
  • Numpad kit
  • Ortholinear kit
  • Ergo, others

Perhaps even a standalone 60% kit, in addition to TKL and full-size. Do you feel there is any inherent disadvantage?

The only set that comes to mind is SA 1976, because of its particular stripped colourway that wouldn't work on different layouts.

Thoughts?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
Re: How do you feel about multiple base kits?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 12:51:08 »
I think it has to do with pricing and MOQ. If a set isn't very popular it can be hard to get to MOQ for just the base set, there won't be any extension available then/ or very expensive. But for a very popular set like 1976 it's possible since it will always fund + massdrop helps funding.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 13:49:37 »
I think it has to do with pricing and MOQ. If a set isn't very popular it can be hard to get to MOQ for just the base set, there won't be any extension available then/ or very expensive. But for a very popular set like 1976 it's possible since it will always fund + massdrop helps funding.

You're implying that if a set is unpopular, then it will be hard enough hitting MOQ for the main set. Therefore offering alternate sets is kind of pointless, with which I agree.

However, say you were offering a base set and an optional ortholinear modifier kit; I can see why ortho users would be deterred from getting the base set in addition to the modifier kit: it's more expensive and wasteful than getting only what you need. So wouldn't a standalone set simply boost the ortho option's popularity?

From there, we could argue that offering an alphas kit + modifier kits is exactly "getting what you need". Yet, I could see that (in the case of single colour sets) everyone is getting alphas anyway, so why not include them with each modifier kit? I will have to confirm with the manufacturer, but don't larger sets mean less $ per key?
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 October 2018, 13:51:47 by voodoo5 »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 14:01:33 »
It's difficult to offer separate modifiers and alpha kits for GMK sets due to the pricing scheme. T0mb3ry, designer of Carbon and Yuri, describes it here. It might be best to approach designers to get their input as many of them have done both Signature Plastics and GMK-based group-buys.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 16:05:58 »
fewer base kits = less options = easier to hit moq

but i can see the case being made for multiple base kits since it allows for more options

or something

complex issue
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90