Author Topic: [SHIPPED] Nexus Alps slider, Nexus Top Housing  (Read 161503 times)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
Re: [SHIPPED] Nexus Alps slider, Nexus Top Housing
« Reply #600 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 14:43:20 »
Should we be expecting a shipping notification sometime today?

You should yes, I was out for a while but will be adding the last tracking numbers right now(0100 and on). I don't know if paypal auto sends emails or not, so check back in 2 hours just in case it doesn't.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #601 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 15:29:18 »
Update:

All tracking info is updated so you should have an email with your tracking info, except obviously that one person who still hasn't responded lol.(I don't know if they even care anymore).

Hope all of your packages get there quickly so you can enjoy them before the new year!

Offline knazze

• yerba
« Reply #602 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 18:29:27 »
Are there any extras?
Will there be another GB in the future if there are no extras?

Offline 19MODL

« Reply #603 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 19:31:10 »
I'm definitely in need of some extras!
iGK64 - Kailh Speed Bronze - GMK Laser
Pok3r - MX Red - GMK Red Samurai
NIU Mini - Tealio - DSA Drifter
Incoming: Mechmini 2 - SA Night King

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #604 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 20:10:55 »
I'm definitely in need of some extras!

Are there any extras?
Will there be another GB in the future if there are no extras?

Follow TheKey.Company for extras, he said he would be posting them in the next couple weeks(maybe even next week, but not confirmed).

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #605 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 18:45:09 »
Just got here today! Super happy with how they’ve turned out, thank you for a well run gb BlindAssassin111!208722-0208724-1208726-2

Offline gbchk

« Reply #606 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 19:19:01 »
How's the performance? I won't be home for several hours to test.

Offline 19MODL

« Reply #607 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 20:29:11 »
Glad to hear extras will be available and anxious to hear feedback from peeps who are receiving their sliders. To clarify, if I want to build a planck with genuine white alps, I'll need about 50 sliders and 50 housings, correct?

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #608 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 21:29:48 »

You should yes, I was out for a while but will be adding the last tracking numbers right now(0100 and on). I don't know if paypal auto sends emails or not, so check back in 2 hours just in case it doesn't.

I don't have a notification. Order 0075.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline gbchk

« Reply #609 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 22:09:59 »
So since it seems like I'm the first I'll give my thoughts. After some minimal testing I quickly decided that I won't be using these. Just as a disclaimer, I don't mean to be too negative or in any way minimize/downplay the insane amount of work that went into this, and this isn't an attack on OP. But as we all know R1 had a lot of speedbumps and sacrifices were made to get the product out the door. I'm hopeful that R2, if it ever happens, will be a more refined product.

I tested these on a board with lubed pine white Alps. I don't think these switches are in the best shape, definitely far from NOS, but I did my best to get them sounding/feeling as good as possible, so I'd rate them an optimistic 7/10. Even so, the Nexus sliders were a marked downgrade. I may be more sensitive to sound/feel than most people, and for all I know the majority will enjoy these. Also, they may be great on non-clicky Alps, but I don't know. First and foremost, the sound changes drastically. The best way to describe it is the switches sound much more hollow. The click is much quieter, and there's also a slight double click (once again on the upstroke). I know OP mentioned this being an issue with the first iteration, but I'm not certain if it ever got fixed. It's hard to say if it's the sliders/housings at fault because double clicking is just a thing that happens to old Alps, and I have no idea what causes it. That said, when I put back the original Alps parts, the double click went away.

Tactility also went down a bit, but not to a point where the switches felt mushy. Wobble seemed about the same, maybe a tiny bit worse. The biggest issue feel-wise was binding on off center key presses. Again, just my experience, but I knew that if I typed on a full board of these I'd be in agony because I hit the edges of keys all the time. With normal Alps this is very rarely noticeable, but on these it was a different story.

One major plus to these is they are smooth as butter. It actually made taking them back apart almost impossible using the chopstick/skewer method because the wood would just slide against the housing and refuse to grip it in any way. No lube required with these at all, IMO.

Last, I tested using the same caps (Alps-mount DSA Granite vs MX-mount). The MX caps seemed quite difficult to put on, and didn't look like they went on all the way. As such, caps on Nexus stems sat about a half millimeter (or less) higher than the Alps caps. I know there were issues with cap stretching mentioned, but I don't remember if SP PBT caps were tested. Either way, I didn't notice any stretching from my minimal testing.

Anyway, that's about it. Hope this helps anyone else who's curious.

EDIT: I should probably add that all this should be taken with a huge YMMV - it's purely my observation of feel/sound vs stock Alps. The convenience of being able to use MX caps with Alps can't be overstated here. Do they still feel better than Cherry switches? Absolutely. Just not quite there as far as my personal standards go.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 23:37:24 by gbchk »

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #610 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 23:09:17 »
Ok so I had a chance to check these out a little more.

Disclaimer: I did not build a full board of these, the only full Alps board I have is a M0116, and I’m not putting any of my MX caps on these until I get a stem shaver. I also did not shave any of the housings to fit the cap stems since I’m still waiting for the stem shaver.

So I used Orange Alps as my base because they’re my favorite Alps switches and I had a bunch of them cleaned and disassembled.

I put together one switch using an original top and Nexus Slider, one with a Nexus slider and Nexus top, and one with a Nexus slider and a sample Nexus top.

The two switches with the Nexus top housings were very similar to each other. I really like the purple housing, and think they would’ve looked cool with a black stem (like the samples were) but I understand why they’re not. They have a similar amount of wobble to original Alps sliders. They feel like Alps switches, but smoother. I don’t know if it’s because the original sliders are worn from use or what, but it’s like the difference between vintage Cherry blacks and pre-retooled Cherry blacks (I haven’t used any of the retooled Cherry blacks, so I can’t compare to those), or like the difference between any MX and a Zeal (as far as smoothness is concerned). Since I’m only using tactile and not clicky Alps, I cant say anything about a double click. I like these and I’d be happy using them.

The switch with the original Alps housing and the Nexus slider is awesome. It’s smoother, it’s tighter, has less wobble, the springs feel a little stiffer, and the tactility is a little crisper. Now, the original housings need a lot of work to be compatible with GMK caps, and if I didn’t want to do all the work, the Nexus housings are worth every penny for the convenience. But, for the crazy among us who would be willing to put in the work, I think it might be worth the effort.

As always with customizing switches, don’t take my word for it. Build a few with each of the two top housings and decide for yourself.

Now, on to the stab adapters.

I don’t know that I’ll ever actually use these since I plan to do custom builds and use MX stabs as opposed to retrofitting vintage Alps boards (seriously, the only vintage boards I own and plan to own are M0116’s, and there’s no way I’m ever finding an MX spacebar that size). But the print quality on these is pretty good. The layer height is minuscule and pretty darn smooth. You may want to sand, or file, or whatever, the insides of the hooks where the wires ride just to make sure you don’t feel anything, you may feel that with a little lube you don’t need to. The stabs clip off their print trees pretty cleanly with a pair of edge cutters (which everyone should have anyway). Again, I don’t know that I’ll ever use these, but I’m glad I have them just in case, and they’re a good quality print. The only place I’ve ever had better prints from is Shapeways. Hopefully in future rounds these will get their own injection mold and match the quality of the sliders, but for now, I think they’ll work just fine.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the product I’ve received, all things considered. I know these took longer than everyone expected, and that they’re not perfect, but these are a solid V1 and only need a few minor improvements. I know everyone had really high hopes for these, and there’s been a little disappointment along the way, but imo even with their flaws these are still a game changer for the Alps lovers in the community.

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 23:13:14 by jrfhoutx »

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #611 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 23:38:15 »
A lot happens over the duration of a GB and I no longer have a need for these sliders, housings, and stab inserts.

I will be selling all of them at GB cost + PP fees + Shipping in quantities of 70. PM me on Discord if you are interested. My discord handle is tanvir175#0001. They haven't arrived yet (no update on USPS tracking since december 6th) but you can PM me to hold some for you.

I have 4x 70 Sliders, which is $38.50 per set + fees and shipping; 4x 70 top housings, which is $56 per set + fees and shipping; and 8 sets of stab inserts for $8 each set + fees and shipping.

Edit: Oh, also, thanks for the pleasant GB experience BlindAssassain111! Imo, you did a great job running the GB.

Edit: 2 combo sets of sliders/housings have been claimed. I have 2 set of sliders/housings left. 2 stab sets have been claimed. I have 6 stab sets left.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 December 2018, 12:40:51 by tanvir175 »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #612 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 03:03:09 »
So since it seems like I'm the first I'll give my thoughts. After some minimal testing I quickly decided that I won't be using these. Just as a disclaimer, I don't mean to be too negative or in any way minimize/downplay the insane amount of work that went into this, and this isn't an attack on OP. But as we all know R1 had a lot of speedbumps and sacrifices were made to get the product out the door. I'm hopeful that R2, if it ever happens, will be a more refined product.

I tested these on a board with lubed pine white Alps. I don't think these switches are in the best shape, definitely far from NOS, but I did my best to get them sounding/feeling as good as possible, so I'd rate them an optimistic 7/10. Even so, the Nexus sliders were a marked downgrade. I may be more sensitive to sound/feel than most people, and for all I know the majority will enjoy these. Also, they may be great on non-clicky Alps, but I don't know. First and foremost, the sound changes drastically. The best way to describe it is the switches sound much more hollow. The click is much quieter, and there's also a slight double click (once again on the upstroke). I know OP mentioned this being an issue with the first iteration, but I'm not certain if it ever got fixed. It's hard to say if it's the sliders/housings at fault because double clicking is just a thing that happens to old Alps, and I have no idea what causes it. That said, when I put back the original Alps parts, the double click went away.

Tactility also went down a bit, but not to a point where the switches felt mushy. Wobble seemed about the same, maybe a tiny bit worse. The biggest issue feel-wise was binding on off center key presses. Again, just my experience, but I knew that if I typed on a full board of these I'd be in agony because I hit the edges of keys all the time. With normal Alps this is very rarely noticeable, but on these it was a different story.

One major plus to these is they are smooth as butter. It actually made taking them back apart almost impossible using the chopstick/skewer method because the wood would just slide against the housing and refuse to grip it in any way. No lube required with these at all, IMO.

Last, I tested using the same caps (Alps-mount DSA Granite vs MX-mount). The MX caps seemed quite difficult to put on, and didn't look like they went on all the way. As such, caps on Nexus stems sat about a half millimeter (or less) higher than the Alps caps. I know there were issues with cap stretching mentioned, but I don't remember if SP PBT caps were tested. Either way, I didn't notice any stretching from my minimal testing.

Anyway, that's about it. Hope this helps anyone else who's curious.

EDIT: I should probably add that all this should be taken with a huge YMMV - it's purely my observation of feel/sound vs stock Alps. The convenience of being able to use MX caps with Alps can't be overstated here. Do they still feel better than Cherry switches? Absolutely. Just not quite there as far as my personal standards go.

The issue with the click was addressed, but even after that I noticed some click leafs would double click but some would sound perfect(and nearly impossible to tell a difference sound wise). I could never figure out the cause of this(as some of the leafs I have are in poor or unknown condition), and it will take a bit of work as alps are super complicated with how the leafs bend and the surfaces the leaf touch. Plus having run out of money to change things for V1, it was a thing that had to stay, so if any one can help figure out what causes the sound, it would be appreciated a lot, I have tried many times and nothing made sense.

As for the binding, I noticed it was mostly due to the caps stretching, on a shaved stem it wouldn't bind(at least from my testing), so you may want to check that.

@jrfhoutx
Thank you for your review, I honestly think these are best in tactile alps switches as the improved smoothness makes them feel really good(best in brown alps). And yes the fitment in original housings is amazing, I plan on fixing this in the future in order to make my housings slightly tighter.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #613 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 03:08:01 »

I don't have a notification. Order 0075.

Check again, I added your tracking info along with everyone elses(just checked even) maybe you missed it? You might see it on your paypal invoice if you login.

Offline M4dn3ss

« Reply #614 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 07:31:10 »
Again, just my experience, but I knew that if I typed on a full board of these I'd be in agony because I hit the edges of keys all the time. With normal Alps this is very rarely noticeable, but on these it was a different story.

One major plus to these is they are smooth as butter.
How exactly can a binding switch be considered smooth?

Offline gbchk

« Reply #615 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 10:33:05 »
Again, just my experience, but I knew that if I typed on a full board of these I'd be in agony because I hit the edges of keys all the time. With normal Alps this is very rarely noticeable, but on these it was a different story.

One major plus to these is they are smooth as butter.
How exactly can a binding switch be considered smooth?

As I said, the binding only happened for me on off-center key presses. It could be due to the keycaps I used, as BlindAssassin111 mentioned.

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #616 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 18:54:36 »

@jrfhoutx
Thank you for your review, I honestly think these are best in tactile alps switches as the improved smoothness makes them feel really good(best in brown alps). And yes the fitment in original housings is amazing, I plan on fixing this in the future in order to make my housings slightly tighter.

You're welcome. I don't have any alps to test on other than tactile, but I really do like these with the orange alps. I know that these didn't turn out exactly as you wanted them to, but they're still really good, even the Nexus housings. At least to me (and I guess as with everything in this hobby and as gbchk's review shows, YMMV) the housings don't feel bad, none of it feels bad. Quite the opposite really. I'm definitely glad I got in on this buy, and am looking forward to doing a build with them.

The buy was extremely well communicated throughout the whole process, and I thank you for that.

Offline 19MODL

« Reply #617 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 17:32:02 »

Disclaimer: I did not build a full board of these, the only full Alps board I have is a M0116, and I’m not putting any of my MX caps on these until I get a stem shaver. I also did not shave any of the housings to fit the cap stems since I’m still waiting for the stem shaver.

So I used Orange Alps as my base because they’re my favorite Alps switches and I had a bunch of them cleaned and disassembled.

I put together one switch using an original top and Nexus Slider, one with a Nexus slider and Nexus top, and one with a Nexus slider and a sample Nexus top.

The two switches with the Nexus top housings were very similar to each other. I really like the purple housing, and think they would’ve looked cool with a black stem (like the samples were) but I understand why they’re not. They have a similar amount of wobble to original Alps sliders. They feel like Alps switches, but smoother. I don’t know if it’s because the original sliders are worn from use or what, but it’s like the difference between vintage Cherry blacks and pre-retooled Cherry blacks (I haven’t used any of the retooled Cherry blacks, so I can’t compare to those), or like the difference between any MX and a Zeal (as far as smoothness is concerned). Since I’m only using tactile and not clicky Alps, I cant say anything about a double click. I like these and I’d be happy using them.

The switch with the original Alps housing and the Nexus slider is awesome. It’s smoother, it’s tighter, has less wobble, the springs feel a little stiffer, and the tactility is a little crisper. Now, the original housings need a lot of work to be compatible with GMK caps, and if I didn’t want to do all the work, the Nexus housings are worth every penny for the convenience. But, for the crazy among us who would be willing to put in the work, I think it might be worth the effort.

As always with customizing switches, don’t take my word for it. Build a few with each of the two top housings and decide for yourself.

I don’t know that I’ll ever actually use these since I plan to do custom builds and use MX stabs as opposed to retrofitting vintage Alps boards (seriously, the only vintage boards I own and plan to own are M0116’s, and there’s no way I’m ever finding an MX spacebar that size). But the print quality on these is pretty good. The layer height is minuscule and pretty darn smooth. You may want to sand, or file, or whatever, the insides of the hooks where the wires ride just to make sure you don’t feel anything, you may feel that with a little lube you don’t need to. The stabs clip off their print trees pretty cleanly with a pair of edge cutters (which everyone should have anyway). Again, I don’t know that I’ll ever use these, but I’m glad I have them just in case, and they’re a good quality print. The only place I’ve ever had better prints from is Shapeways. Hopefully in future rounds these will get their own injection mold and match the quality of the sliders, but for now, I think they’ll work just fine.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the product I’ve received, all things considered. I know these took longer than everyone expected, and that they’re not perfect, but these are a solid V1 and only need a few minor improvements. I know everyone had really high hopes for these, and there’s been a little disappointment along the way, but imo even with their flaws these are still a game changer for the Alps lovers in the community.

Are you able to upload a sound comparison video of the nexus-modded white alp switch vs unmodded by any chance?

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #618 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 17:45:36 »

Are you able to upload a sound comparison video of the nexus-modded white alp switch vs unmodded by any chance?

I could, but you probably won't hear much other than my kid screaming and dog barking in the background right now, maybe later tonight once everyone goes to sleep I can take a sound comparison video. But I think you might be thinking of gbchk, he had white alps. I used orange alps, but I can still make a sound comparison video later tonight.

Offline gbchk

« Reply #619 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 17:51:09 »
Yeah I was the one that did white alps. I'd be more than happy to but honestly I own absolutely zero sound recording equipment. Outside of recording a voice memo on my phone (which will sound like ****) I don't really have any way to capture the sound. Sorry about that :(

Offline 19MODL

« Reply #620 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 17:53:05 »
Ah I did mean to quote gbchk haha but I think the community so far will appreciate anything you 2 put out there. Maybe you can give the phone recording a try and see if it accurately reflected the sound. If not, no harm done!

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #621 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 11:12:15 »
As someone who was planning on using them with orange alps in og housings I'm pretty stoked for mine to arrive  :thumb:

Offline under.pk

« Reply #622 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 21:16:40 »
Anyone from Asia and have extra left to sell pls pm me :)

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
  • Because You Need the Feels...
    • The Key Dot Company
« Reply #623 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 07:27:43 »
Hey everyone. I havent been terribly active in this thread, Ive left it in the capable hands of u/blindassassin111

During the GB I invested to help get the molds made. I have approx 5500 sliders and 2000 housings available at TKC

Product Page 

Sample kits ship for $3 CONUS. Limited stock. Switch openers also available. Orders will ship mid week next week.

208892-0208894-1
208896-2208898-3

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #624 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 12:53:41 »
I'm actually confused on how to use the stab inserts -- are there any pics on their use?

Offline under.pk

« Reply #625 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 13:50:06 »
Hey everyone. I havent been terribly active in this thread, Ive left it in the capable hands of u/blindassassin111

During the GB I invested to help get the molds made. I have approx 5500 sliders and 2000 housings available at TKC

Product Page 

Sample kits ship for $3 CONUS. Limited stock. Switch openers also available. Orders will ship mid week next week.

Slider already sold out?

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #626 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 13:53:56 »

Product Page 

Slider already sold out?

You have to select 70, 90, or 110 from the drop down menu.  The "1" is for the switch openers and sample packs.  It is a bit confusing

Offline under.pk

« Reply #627 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 13:54:40 »

Product Page 

Slider already sold out?

You have to select 70, 90, or 110 from the drop down menu.  The "1" is for the switch openers and sample packs.  It is a bit confusing

lol my bad :D

Offline fireworm

« Reply #628 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 19:30:06 »
BlindAssassin, the housing and sliders are BOTH made out of POM right?

I think that will explain why I'm feeling binding on off-center keypresses, where the slider starts to grind against the housing much more... 

IIRC this is also an 'issue' with the new NovelKeys Cream switch.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #629 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 19:45:52 »

I think that will explain why I'm feeling binding on off-center keypresses, where the slider starts to grind against the housing much more... 

I'm probably going to wet lube the sliders if that's the case

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #630 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 19:59:24 »

Correct, If that is looking to be what the issue is then a material change for the housing will be in order for V2.

Offline BerserkZz

« Reply #631 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 02:46:02 »
I got the shipping info, however the package seems to be stuck in Taxes.

Offline LiamOS

« Reply #632 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 03:45:18 »
Mine made it to Chicago yesterday, still a way to go though. I think USPS is just not the world's fastest.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #633 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 13:58:02 »
I got the shipping info, however the package seems to be stuck in Taxes.

Seems to be a mix of holiday season, first class mail vs priority mail, and bad updates on USPS's part.

Mine was stuck in texas since December 6th and then, with absolutely no prior updates, was at my local post office on December 14th.

Offline waldorf120

• My keyboard never leaves me bored
« Reply #634 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 20:10:00 »
All my product arrived on the 10th, excellent work OP!  Can't wait to make builds with these!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #635 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 20:23:06 »
All my product arrived on the 10th, excellent work OP!  Can't wait to make builds with these!

Thank you, Sorry for the ghetto box, I had to cut a box in half to get that one and it wouldn't cooperate nicely.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #636 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 15:58:03 »
Can you throw up a diagram for those of use that will be shaving these by hand? what/where should we shave and by how much? thanks.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #637 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 16:13:13 »
Can you throw up a diagram for those of use that will be shaving these by hand? what/where should we shave and by how much? thanks.

Here you go. The red line is the minimum(basically shave half off of each one) and you can go up to the green line(which can mean the entire bump) if you accidentally shave too much off or get lazy.

209006-0

If you want to measure each one out you can, but don't worry too much about going too far, just make sure to remove ~0.05mm total as that will get you where you want to be, tight but not stressing caps.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #638 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 16:42:18 »

Here you go. The red line is the minimum(basically shave half off of each one) and you can go up to the green line(which can mean the entire bump) if you accidentally shave too much off or get lazy.

(Attachment Link)

If you want to measure each one out you can, but don't worry too much about going too far, just make sure to remove ~0.05mm total as that will get you where you want to be, tight but not stressing caps.

Just to be clear all 4 of bumps need to be shaved? vs just 2 on one side?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #639 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 17:23:46 »

(Attachment Link)

Just to be clear all 4 of bumps need to be shaved? vs just 2 on one side?

Correct, otherwise the cap will be offset towards the non-shaved side, so you would have to be sure to shave all of them on the same side or just shave a small amount off all 4 to be good.

Offline under.pk

« Reply #640 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 22:57:13 »
Do you have any prefer tool to shave them off?

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #641 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 05:15:39 »
My stab inserts arrived at my house in London. Thanks for all your hard work BA!

Offline USRapt0r

« Reply #642 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 21:27:13 »
Did anyone else get the sliders for the retooled Matias switches only to find that they don't fit in the housings?

Offline Anakey

« Reply #643 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 05:25:29 »
Just received the nliders and housings today, i think i have identified why the nexus housings reduce the tactility and click when using click leaves and possibly they would also reduce tactility from tactile only leaves however i have no tactile alps to try. It appears on inspection that the distance from slider edge to housing edge where the click/tactile leaf would sit is larger in the nexus housings then on the original alps however i do not have a micrometer to test this so basing purely off a visual observation. I tested this by placing original alps slider, spring, click leaf but with the nexus housing and got the same loss on tactility and click using both the nexus slider and housing. I think that this is due partly because the walls of the original alps appear to be thicker then on the nexus housings. I believe that the loss in tactility and click can be compensated for by slightly increasing the bend in the leaf therefore increasing the stiffness of the spring to counter the increased travel due to the slightly wider cavity that the leaf sits in resulting in an increase in tactility and click. Through experimentation it would be possible to create a small jig which would increase the bend to the optimal amount hopefully then mainitaining the desired tactility and click throught the board.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #644 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 22:24:32 »
Did anyone else get the sliders for the retooled Matias switches only to find that they don't fit in the housings?

I bought them for use in Matias switches; you have to file the opening in the top of the switch housing.  This came up during the IC and prototyping, and is again explained in the original post in this thread.  You might want to take another look at the first post in this thread.  I don't know if he ever got around to posting that video demonstrating the modification (I'm still waiting for the board I'm going to use these on).

Offline parityb1t

• 60% or less \m/
« Reply #645 on: Thu, 27 December 2018, 08:47:41 »
Do you have any prefer tool to shave them off?

Check this thread, OP has also been active there and have stated the tool can benefit nexus

Alps64 w/ Orange Alps | SatanGH60 Gartistotles

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #646 on: Fri, 28 December 2018, 06:57:06 »
I just received my sliders, housings and stab adapters here in Spain.
Thanks a lot for all your work and effort Blindassassin! Now to think if I shave them manually or wait for the stemshaver, since this will go with GMK Yuri and don't want to risk stretching those caps :D

Offline LiamOS

« Reply #647 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 19:18:27 »

I bought them for use in Matias switches; you have to file the opening in the top of the switch housing.  This came up during the IC and prototyping, and is again explained in the original post in this thread.  You might want to take another look at the first post in this thread.  I don't know if he ever got around to posting that video demonstrating the modification (I'm still waiting for the board I'm going to use these on).
He means the stem doesn't fit in the Matias top housing. It appears, at least to me, that the Matias slider is specced very slightly differently to those of traditional alps, and that the Matias top housing is very slightly tighter as a result.

It's probably fine combined with the top housing, but I only bought sliders, so rip me unless somebody has some(60) to spare. Doesn't work.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 January 2019, 08:07:28 by LiamOS »

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #648 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 01:59:57 »

He means the stem doesn't fit in the Matias top housing. It appears, at least to me, that the Matias slider is specced very slightly differently to those of traditional alps, and that the Matias top housing is very slightly tighter as a result.
Show Image

It's probably fine combined with the top housing, but I only bought sliders, so rip me unless somebody has some(60) to spare.

Yes, I understand what he said.  The sliders in this group buy don't fit Matias housings without modification.  You need to file the opening in the Matias top housing to provide enough clearance for the sliders to fit.  Using the top housings in this group buy is not an option if using Matias switches, because the top housings in this group buy are not compatible with Matias switches (only SKCL/SKCM Alps).  Take another look at the first post in this thread, particularly the paragraph that starts with "Are the alps housings directly compatible with MX caps?"

Offline LiamOS

« Reply #649 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 08:10:28 »
Yes, I understand what he said.  The sliders in this group buy don't fit Matias housings without modification.  You need to file the opening in the Matias top housing to provide enough clearance for the sliders to fit.  Using the top housings in this group buy is not an option if using Matias switches, because the top housings in this group buy are not compatible with Matias switches (only SKCL/SKCM Alps).  Take another look at the first post in this thread, particularly the paragraph that starts with "Are the alps housings directly compatible with MX caps?"
Which opening are you talking about? If you're talking about the opening for the keycap stem then that's not what we were talking about.
The problem I (and I assume USRapt0r) am having is that the whole slider is wider than the channel in the switch housing for it to ride in. I mean I guess this can be filed, but that's some serious ****-tier switch modding if so, and the first post doesn't make that clear at all.