Author Topic: New Model F with 104 Layout - Yay!  (Read 15742 times)

Offline Tempest790

New Model F with 104 Layout - Yay!
« on: Mon, 03 April 2023, 10:46:59 »
Well, it looks like my prayers have been answered. I saw on YouTube that the new Model F will have a 104 classic and compact layout available. That's in addition to his beamspring keyboards he's working on too. However, I'm all in on that Model F 104 layout. I'll have to save up a bit but will probably pre-order one next month or so.

I am curious about the add-on options. He lists a solenoid and solenoid driver option. I thought that was for the beamspring only?

I'm so glad I waited on getting any more keyboards. I thought I was finally done with keyboard collecting since my Topre is fantastic the way I have it customized.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/classic-f104-model-f-keyboard/
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 April 2023, 09:24:52 by Tempest790 »

Offline Pretendo

Re: New Model F with 104 Layout - Yay!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 April 2023, 21:25:04 »
Wait, WHAT???

I had to double check to make sure that this wasn't an April Fools thing. My one gripe about the new Model F boards was that there wasn't an ANSI layout option, and there it is! Prayers answered indeed!

I already have an F122, but might have to put up for this anyway. If there's not some major flaw with it, a standard layout ANSI Model F is the summit for me in this hobby. I can finally be done.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline NixieType

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 April 2023, 00:51:49 »
Didn’t even know this is a thing. Gonna need to pick one of these up for the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 April 2023, 13:07:04 »
Project coordinator here - yes this is definitely real!  Here is the project thread:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79141.0

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 April 2023, 17:09:17 »
Thank you so much for piloting this and coming out with a 104 key layout!

The existence of this new option has me very conflicted, because it's my absolute ideal board. I already own a 122 key F though! For six years, it's been the best keyboard ever, and if this standard layout board didn't exist I'd would've happily had it on my desk for the rest of my life. I put the care, love and attention into its restoration and modification, cleaning and disassembling it, de-rusting the base plate, repainting that base plate, and have no doubt that it would work for another forty years with no issue whatsoever...

...but that standard layout "Model M that's really a Model F" is the summit.  It's exactly what I want. The 122 key is 90-95% of what I want. But not exactly.

I'm sitting here making flow charts and pro/con lists to try to justify spending $500 for that little 5% bump. And so help me, I might buy the thing, which is just insane given how great the 122 key F is.

Edit: Ordered it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 April 2023, 16:41:56 by Pretendo »
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline mikekoz

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 10:41:58 »
As an owner of 2 IBM Model M's, I thought this was cool until I saw the price!  :-X:'(

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 April 2023, 11:39:09 »
As an owner of 2 IBM Model M's, I thought this was cool until I saw the price!  :-X:'(

Oh yes, they are pricey for computer keyboards. Justifiably so (they're not easy to throw together after all, and they're low volume productions) but still probably the most expensive keyboard you'd ever buy.

I'd say that unless you type all day every day, you're doing just fine with your Model M's. They give allot of the Model F experience and are fantastic value for money. My only major issue with them is that the weighting makes them fatiguing after typing all day, but that's not an issue if you aren't typing all the time.

If you DO type all day, and you like the feel of the M but find that the weighting gets to be a bit much after typing allot, and you don't feel like dealing with archaic keyboard layouts, converter dongles, spacebar modifications, and maybe a foam restoration... and you can swing it without breaking the bank... that's when these are worth seriously considering.
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 May 2023, 17:45:12 »
This is such a good price, it is pricey but I think that it is worth the price considering that it is alu and it is far more customizable than regular model m, plus reverse engineering model f buckling springs of course.

Semi related but those caps look insanely good for 40-50 bucks
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Entropia

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 July 2023, 11:58:04 »
I would buy one but there are two things that always make me abandon the idea:

1st, you pay, but you have no idea when you will receive your keyboard. There's a sort of list where you can buy numbers for stickers on the bottom of your keyboard, paying a lot of extra money to have some kind of priority in the waiting list, but it's all very confusing and vague, or maybe it's my fault not understanding well.

2nd, the customs fees + taxes when importing the keyboard to my country. I've done numbers, and if I order the keyboard, the repair kit and a set of extra keycaps, adding the customs costs, the result is more than 800$, too much in my opinion for a keyboard, no matter if it's the best in the world. Actually, I'm not sure if it would be a better idea to travel to the US, buy the keyboard, and then go back home :)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 July 2023, 12:47:04 »
Entropia in recent months there has been an update on the shipping timeline.  For all of the in stock items (beam spring, Model F keyboards and extras), shipping lead times are now 1-4 weeks, so you have a good expectation of when the keyboard goes out.

The remaining keyboards that are in production (round 2 beam spring and Model M style Model F) are expected to go out later this year. 

Offline clay

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 July 2023, 15:20:58 »
Has anyone purchased the ultra compact F104 or FSSK already? I'm contemplating buying one for 3 months already. I just want to make sure that it actually feels good and is built well. 450 usd is no joke and I live far from the US

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 July 2023, 16:12:28 »
There are many reviews on the new Model F keyboards clay.  The new models are built with the same materials and standards (steel plates, metal case) as the 4,000 F62 and F77 keyboards that have shipped since 2019. 

PC World did a review on the compact F104 here:  https://www.pcworld.com/article/1928356/model-f-ultra-compact-keyboard-review.html

Various reviews are gathered on this page:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/press/

Offline Mandan

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 July 2023, 18:59:36 »
Oh yes, they are pricey for computer keyboards.

An 84-key F/AT keyboard cost the the equivalent of $670 2023 dollars.  IBM had a separate SKU if you wanted just the keyboard without the computer.  And IBM amortized that $670 across multiple product lines and hundreds of thousands of sales, saving them a bunch of money compared to small-batch boutique production.

$420+options doesn't seem all that expensive, considering.

Offline clay

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 July 2023, 05:28:57 »
Oh yes, they are pricey for computer keyboards.

An 84-key F/AT keyboard cost the the equivalent of $670 2023 dollars.  IBM had a separate SKU if you wanted just the keyboard without the computer.  And IBM amortized that $670 across multiple product lines and hundreds of thousands of sales, saving them a bunch of money compared to small-batch boutique production.

$420+options doesn't seem all that expensive, considering.

I am so close to sending an order :thumb:

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 July 2023, 13:48:37 »
I went ahead and ordered my full 104 Model F keyboard. I went with the classic case since it slopes with the keys unlike the compact version. I didn't bother with the solenoid, since I love the Model F's original sound anyway. Looks like a lot of work putting these keyboards together from what I saw in the tutorial videos. I figure this is a long-term investment though.

104 classic Model F keyboard
Standard printed keycaps
Repair kit
LED overlay
1/2 inch dome bumpers
Key cap puller

Total: $492

Supposedly shipping by the end of the year, so we'll see when it comes in. Ouch, it's expensive, but should be the last keyboard I'd buy. I already have my two Topre keyboards for my daily drivers so this will fill my typing only niche.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 July 2023, 13:58:13 by Tempest790 »

Offline Entropia

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 July 2023, 10:59:27 »
Are you my clone? That's exactly what I thought: the classic model looks perfect because of the natural slope that follow the curvature of the keys. I think I would order the model in industrial gray, so that it doesn't look like a normal Model M. Also, that's what I would order: the keyboard with the standard keys (USA ANSI), the repair kit and the traditional overlay. And to finish, I also have two keyboards with Topre (Leopolds) as my daily drivers (one at home, one at work). Owning a Model F with the Model M layout is like a dream. Moreover, it's so different to Topre!

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 28 July 2023, 22:28:59 »
Are you my clone? That's exactly what I thought: the classic model looks perfect because of the natural slope that follow the curvature of the keys. I think I would order the model in industrial gray, so that it doesn't look like a normal Model M. Also, that's what I would order: the keyboard with the standard keys (USA ANSI), the repair kit and the traditional overlay. And to finish, I also have two keyboards with Topre (Leopolds) as my daily drivers (one at home, one at work). Owning a Model F with the Model M layout is like a dream. Moreover, it's so different to Topre!

The slope on the classic model m's is such a genius design feature. It allows for a lot of customization when it comes to layouts, you can freely swap out the keys in different rows, without it affecting the typing feel of the different profiles  (of course there is touch typing but if you don't it's a godsend)

I remember there was I project I saw recently that did the same to make the dsa keycaps have a curve but I think that project will never happen anymore as there are no updates on it. (Found it, it was called the curve0) I think more projects should implement that.

I'm pretty sure there I've said this on my thread but this is an amazing project, especially for the price for a full alu keyboard like this. I would get it but I do want to get an og F-AT and mod the layout one day (creating full ansi with split backspace including the bottom row by carving parts out of the case) but if I ever do that one day I will definitely buy some caps from the website (even if single caps are pricey)
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 21 August 2023, 11:03:06 »
This is the first video review of the Model F 104 keyboard. Looks like he has the compact version in red. Ironically, he doesn't care for the sound that much, but it's music to my ears!

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 21 August 2023, 12:00:45 »
This is the first video review of the Model F 104 keyboard. Looks like he has the compact version in red. Ironically, he doesn't care for the sound that much, but it's music to my ears!

I saw that video and honestly it isn't a very good review on it. I would explain why but admiral shark explained it far better than I ever could.

That channel has barely anyone who knows what goes into making a good custom keyboard, let alone vintage stuff, they somehow know less about vintage stuff than I do, cause even I know about stuff like floss mod and the uniform caps of the IBM keycaps. The only purpose of the channel is to shill (which considering they are apart of Linus media group isn't expected)

I would definitely look elsewhere for reviews when they come out.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 21 August 2023, 13:31:08 »
Level1Techs and PC World have also posted about the Ultra Compact FSSK / F104 keyboards:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1928356/model-f-ultra-compact-keyboard-review.html

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 August 2023, 17:12:55 »
I saw that video and honestly it isn't a very good review on it. I would explain why but admiral shark explained it far better than I ever could.

It had to be said. The background research for that video appeared to be very lacking.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1928356/model-f-ultra-compact-keyboard-review.html

...and that PCWorld review clearly reveals not doing due research is the norm...

The distinction between the Model F and Model M is important, at least to enthusiasts. Though both are buckling spring keyboards, Model F keyboards don’t have a membrane but instead rely on metal barrel plates.

They compared membranes (a type of circuit) to barrel plates in their comparison! Let's not forget there are Model Ms - namely the 50-key and Screen Reader Keypad - out there with metal barrel plates anyway! The comparison was bad, and the point was wrong.

Offline bjornebarn

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 31 August 2023, 09:49:02 »
Just ordered my Ultra compact F104 :o can't wait to get it.

They are listed as "in stock" on the website, but do we have any idea of the general shipping times? Did anyone receive theirs yet?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 31 August 2023, 11:26:58 »
Great!  In stock orders usually go out within several weeks as I move through the backlog.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 09:11:05 »
A question: does this model also comes with a fixed cable like the F77 or is it detachable from the back? Is the stock cable a normal cable or a coiled cable? I would really like to have a black coiled cable like the original Model F.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 12:44:10 »
All keyboards have detachable cables as there is a USB-C connector on the controller.  For some models you may want to get a patch cable for easy plugging since you have to open up the board case for all the classic style case models.  For all the compact models you can remove the cable from the controller directly without opening up the case.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 04:28:43 »
I'm about to pull the trigger (Classic Style F104), but I have still not decided if I want it white or industrial grey. White would be more authentic and closer to the old keyboards I remember. However, it would look like a standard Model M, whilest the industrial grey would be more unique. BTW, do these keyboards come with feet or pads for the bottom or do I have to purchase them separatelly? I always liked my old Model M with the feet, so that it's a bit angled towards the user. Since your keyboards do not include the classic flip mechanisms on the Model F, is there any elegant solution for that? Thank you.

EDIT: OK, I've noticed this: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/extra-bumpers/ So I understand that the Classic Style F104 only comes with the flat cork feet. What model from the range your offer would make the keyboard have the same angle of a Model M with the feet up? (Bumper heights (approx.):  cork – 1/16 inch (1.6 mm).  4 square – 1/8 inch (3.2 mm).  cylindrical = 1/4 inch (6.4 mm).  dome (both adhesive and “medium with threads and nut”) = 1/2 inch (12.7 mm).  large with screw and nut = 1 inch (25.4 mm))
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 September 2023, 04:35:09 by Entropia »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 13:13:13 »
Off-white/beige is the original IBM style color.  The cork pads are included.

I think it's about a half inch lift so the dome or threaded bumpers would work but many folks just get a variety of bumpers in the first order to avoid extra shipping fees, as their preferences may change in the future.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 10 September 2023, 10:32:28 »
Sorry to trouble you again, but I have another question (at least this one can be of interest for the rest). I know original Model Fs had a foam inside. I don't know, however, what was the purpose of it? I've head some keyboards use internal foams to reduce the ping, but I don't know if that's the case with Model Fs. I don't know either if your reproduction keyboards come with this foam (there isn't any reference to it, or at least I have not found it, in the description you make in your website. If you didn't include a foam, can I ask why? And does it make any difference in sound or key feel? Thank you.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 10 September 2023, 11:38:08 »
The foam is included and you can order extra foam for both the original and reproduction boards in the shop.  The foam kept the barrels in place to reduce them from moving too much and it also acted as a debris shield to minimize dust entering inside the inner assembly and interfering with capacitive sensing.  The foam may reduce some of the keyboard noise as well.

Offline bjornebarn

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 13:16:12 »
My new keyboard arrived :o All in all, it took two and a half weeks to get it here, to Europe.

https://bjlindst.web.cern.ch/images/keyboard/1.jpg
https://bjlindst.web.cern.ch/images/keyboard/2.jpg

I only used it for a few hours, but so far I am extremely impressed by the quality. Even though I grew up with a Lexmark model M, this really brings me back. I cannot really say if the sound is different or not, I would think there is a bit more reverbation, but not sure. Anyway, the feel, and the sound, it's all amazing.

Originally I was thinking of also buying some colored keycaps to add a bit more detail, but now that I see the keyboard in person, I must say that I really like the standard colors. Perhaps if I find the time I will add a Nixie tube on top of the lock LEDs, might give it a nice retro style.

I opted for the Swedish/Finnish keyboard layout and I actually also received several of the keycaps for a normal US layout, you can see that I e.g. used the wrong keys for 3, 4 and <. This is very nice though, since I now have several spare keycaps. I also like that for the blank "windows" keys, I received both a pair of white and a pair of gray ones, such that I can choose the style I prefer. The space bar is very long, I forgot how long they used to be. Personally I use AltGr a lot, so I will see if I can somehow fit a shorter space bar and move the AltGr key a bit, or if I should retrain my right thumb.

Installing the keycaps was very simple. I simply put the keyboard on the side with the space bar up, as per the instructions, and clicked the keys in. Once I was done, I plugged in the USB and tested all the keys, and all of them are working without a single issue. I received one spare spring+plate, but in my case everything works perfectly, so no need to use it. I would really recommend buying the keycap puller. I did not, since I remembered how easy it was to swap keys on the old keyboard I had. Well, not on this keyboard. The keycaps sit very firmly once clicked in, with almost no rattling or sideways motion (the actual key motion is smooth however). I accidentally put one key wrong (ä) and tried a bit to take it out but I did not dare apply enough force without a proper keycap puller. Now the ä and ö will have to sit there as a reminder to buy the extra tools next time :)

There is a slight protruding bump on the case, next to the left shift key:
https://bjlindst.web.cern.ch/images/keyboard/3.jpg

I am not sure if it should be there or not. Personally I do not mind however, it just makes it a bit more unique. Other than that, the finish of the paint, the case, the keys, everything is simply perfect.

Ellipse, thanks a lot for bringing this back to life! It is really an amazing job, and I am already thinking of buying one of the beam springs as well, perhaps for Xmas.

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 September 2023, 13:38:14 by bjornebarn »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 16:08:18 »
My new keyboard arrived :o All in all, it took two and a half weeks to get it here, to Europe.

https://bjlindst.web.cern.ch/images/keyboard/1.jpg
https://bjlindst.web.cern.ch/images/keyboard/2.jpg

I only used it for a few hours, but so far I am extremely impressed by the quality. Even though I grew up with a Lexmark model M, this really brings me back. I cannot really say if the sound is different or not, I would think there is a bit more reverbation, but not sure. Anyway, the feel, and the sound, it's all amazing.

Originally I was thinking of also buying some colored keycaps to add a bit more detail, but now that I see the keyboard in person, I must say that I really like the standard colors. Perhaps if I find the time I will add a Nixie tube on top of the lock LEDs, might give it a nice retro style.

I opted for the Swedish/Finnish keyboard layout and I actually also received several of the keycaps for a normal US layout, you can see that I e.g. used the wrong keys for 3, 4 and <. This is very nice though, since I now have several spare keycaps. I also like that for the blank "windows" keys, I received both a pair of white and a pair of gray ones, such that I can choose the style I prefer. The space bar is very long, I forgot how long they used to be. Personally I use AltGr a lot, so I will see if I can somehow fit a shorter space bar and move the AltGr key a bit, or if I should retrain my right thumb.

Installing the keycaps was very simple. I simply put the keyboard on the side with the space bar up, as per the instructions, and clicked the keys in. Once I was done, I plugged in the USB and tested all the keys, and all of them are working without a single issue. I received one spare spring+plate, but in my case everything works perfectly, so no need to use it. I would really recommend buying the keycap puller. I did not, since I remembered how easy it was to swap keys on the old keyboard I had. Well, not on this keyboard. The keycaps sit very firmly once clicked in, with almost no rattling or sideways motion (the actual key motion is smooth however). I accidentally put one key wrong (ä) and tried a bit to take it out but I did not dare apply enough force without a proper keycap puller. Now the ä and ö will have to sit there as a reminder to buy the extra tools next time :)

There is a slight protruding bump on the case, next to the left shift key:
https://bjlindst.web.cern.ch/images/keyboard/3.jpg

I am not sure if it should be there or not. Personally I do not mind however, it just makes it a bit more unique. Other than that, the finish of the paint, the case, the keys, everything is simply perfect.

Ellipse, thanks a lot for bringing this back to life! It is really an amazing job, and I am already thinking of buying one of the beam springs as well, perhaps for Xmas.

Thanks for sharing your review with photos bjornebarn!  Glad you were able to get everything set up.

Yes I definitely recommend the key puller for everyone.

Unfortunately the compact case F104/FSSK boards have minor but noticeable cosmetic defects that do not affect keyboard operation.  The anodizing process is in my opinion very nice looking but a bit more fragile and prone to defects, so all future boards are going to be powdercoated instead of anodized. 

Offline Budman

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 21 September 2023, 23:22:53 »
Despite being one of the hardest-to-justify purchases I've ever made, I am excited to be a part of and support this project. I placed my order for just a basic, vintage beige, Classic Style FSSK keyboard!

I wrestled with just getting a new Unicomp Mini for over half of the price to enjoy a BS keyboard but I had a full size Unicomp about 7 years ago and I started to get into TKL or smaller keyboards, so sold it rather quickly after getting it. I am looking forward to having an F as I haven't typed on one of those since I was 11 years old and got an original IBM PC.

I showed my 13yo son what I have coming and he couldn't believe I spent $400 for an "old 1980's keyboard that doesn't even have backlight or media keys," (I explained to him it can have media keys in another layer).  My wife also thought I was crazy but supports my nostalgic purchase...  ;D

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 September 2023, 17:26:45 »
Oh yes, they are pricey for computer keyboards. Justifiably so (they're not easy to throw together after all, and they're low volume productions) but still probably the most expensive keyboard you'd ever buy...

I don't think you can realistically say that around here.  :D

$399 does seem reasonable, though, when you consider how expensive it must've been to design these, have them tooled up, work out the kinks in prototypes, and so on.

Also, the closest thing to it in an original IBM, the Model F-AT, is going for around the same price now—and that's for a 30– to 40-year old keeb that, at the very least, needs disassembly and cleaning, and possibly an ANSII mod.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline mparento

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 September 2023, 11:49:08 »
I received my Ultra Compact Model F104 last week, one month after placing my order (it had to pass the Canadian border). Setting it up with the keycaps went well. I had a double press problem for one key but it was fixed after a few seconds by pushing the spring down with tweezers, as explained in the manual. The final result is a keyboard that has a very nice clicky feel and sound. All in all, I got the keyboard quickly and it works as well as advertised!  :)

I have one regret however. After using it for one week, I realize that I should have ordered the Classic Style F104 instead of the Ultra Compact F104. The flat top of the Ultra Compact case causes me a problem when pressing the top row keys (numbers, -, =, etc.). As soon as my finger goes a little too far when trying to hit the key, it is blocked by the case. This happens to me quite often unfortunately. It would probably not happen with the curved top of the Classic Style keyboard. I would like to see a clear picture of the height of the top row keys relative to the case for that model.

I was somewhat misled by the "Recommended choice" indication of the Ultra Compact model on the web site. I am not sure what makes it a more recommended choice than the Classic Style model. At the present time, I am considering buying a Classic Style F104 keyboard.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 September 2023, 13:51:23 by mparento »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 25 September 2023, 13:52:32 »
Glad your keyboard arrived safely mparento!  Good catch on adjusting the spring to fix a key with double presses.

The compact boards are recommended because they are in stock - most folks don't want to wait if they don't have to!

You are correct that the compact cases have the keys more recessed than the classic style cases.  The reason for the extra recessed keys for a couple of the rows is that the Ultra Compact F104 case top is flat and the Model F and Model M design require a curved plate inside the keyboard. One result of this is that the key profiles are all uniform and a key can be installed on the various rows. The Model M style F104, FSSK, and F122 cases are all curved where the keys are, just like the IBM originals, so the keys will stick out more evenly.

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 26 September 2023, 07:08:52 »
That is why I decided to go with the classic style case myself. I was worried about those recessed keys. I love the slope of the keys, and I think the classic case works better for it. Granted, I'll have to wait longer for it to ship, but I've waited decades for this moment so a few months more is okay.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 September 2023, 10:22:56 by Tempest790 »

Offline Buckling_Summer

• http://www.elitesportservices.com
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 18 November 2023, 03:38:33 »
Greetings to all.

If the supreme tactile feel is similar to the true Model F AT then.. we are witnessing the rebirth of the best keyboard in the world !

Very excited and I must say congratulations to the modelfkeyboards.com guys.
PRESENT POSSESSIONS:
 Buckling Spings: IBM Model M 82G2383 Lexmarkian (1995) / IBM Model F PC-AT keyboard 84 keys (6450200)
XM Simplified 1 (Monterey K110 or AK-CN2 or Hua-Jie) Siig MiniTouch KB-1948 GeekHack Spacesaver edition
----------------------------------

Offline mparento

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 14 December 2023, 14:07:01 »
Hi, after using my Ultra Compact Model F104 daily for the past 2½ months, I can say the the quality of that keyboard is impressive. All the keys are very reliable and the nice click feeling is uniform for all of them.

I was wondering: is there any way to adjust the travel distance of the keys? If I could, I would try to increase the travel distance before the click. I haven't seen any advice about that in the manual but I may have missed something.

Thanks!