Author Topic: Updated router firmware..  (Read 4494 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Updated router firmware..
« on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 21:34:19 »
Now it's slower..

Tp4 so xpert @ technology

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Updated router firmware..
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 21:35:23 »
China spying FTW!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 21:38:36 »
China spying FTW!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's probly what's happening,   router memory use went from 10mb to 80mb..

Maximum suspicious.. !!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 23:10:42 »
There actually was a recent Russian spy thing with specific routers when they update the firmware.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/russian-router-malware,news-27288.html

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 23:50:53 »
Dang. If I was you I would replace that router with a pfsense PC. Then I'd config the pfsense router to mirror all log entries to a LAN only dedicated logging SBC (ofc different login credentials).

Bonus points for LEGOs. You're going to need a LOT of LEGOs.

Offline JP

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 02:32:03 »
pfsense for the win. FreeBSD sucks at wifi so you still would want an AP behind pfsense for wifi.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 June 2018, 02:34:32 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 09:02:40 »
I thought you were a Chinese spy tp? I feel like this is some form of casual deception designed to throw the feds off your trail.

Reported to feds.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 10:38:24 »
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 13:38:14 »
I thought you were a Chinese spy tp? I feel like this is some form of casual deception designed to throw the feds off your trail.

Reported to feds.

Tp4 sux0rzed @ skool..

// Did not qualify for spy program.. !!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 16:06:21 »
See that's the thing. Hollywood makes these loan wolf cool guy super agent movies, but the reality is the people they choose for the programs are super boring, very smart people. The CIA would never hire some brooding brash badboy struggling with his inner demons. A dude like that would never even get past the screening process. They want someone smart and vanilla, but not so independent as to where they would question anything.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 17:57:31 »

The CIA would never hire some brooding brash badboy struggling with his inner demons.

My guess is that there are half a dozen "Jack Bauer" types scattered amongst all of the US "Black Ops" outfits at any given time, and that their maximum life expectancy in action is about 5 years.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 18:22:31 »
Pfsense is good, but I find a router that uses open source firmware to be a bit easier to deal with, cheaper, and cleaner.

Regardless, I will NOT go back to closed source routers again after the last one.  One major router company outsources their code to people who couldn't code their way out of a box. I also find it rather annoying that a cheap $50 router gets firmware updates longer than a $700 smart phone. Then they wonder why we hack them.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 18:24:49 »
A dude like that would never even get past the screening process. They want someone smart and vanilla, but not so independent as to where they would question anything.

They are having problems recruiting due to prior drug use (pot usually).

More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 18:38:13 »
Any firmware with auditable source code open to the public is fine with me.

Offline atarione

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 22:44:19 »
can ur router be flashed with dd-wrt??

https://dd-wrt.com/

dumb question did you reset the router after update and re-enter settings as needed? / hard reboot router after flash.. if not try these things in reverse order perhaps.

as far as PFsense goes it is a decent option however in the summer when it is hot as ballz here for what I need it is easier to run dd-wrt flashed router with minimal heat / power draw as a pc for such things..

For awhile I had a lab set up with VMware ESXi ..blah blah  had a virtual machine and multiple physical NICs  hooked up and ran pfsense that way (of course you have to be extra careful with the config as to not accidentally expose the network.

but it was making my small bedroom office much more warm than I would prefer and atm I'm just running a TP-Link router w/ DD-WRT on it.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 01:43:11 »
Any firmware with auditable source code open to the public is fine with me.
Most definitely. I, however, don't have that choice, apparently we need the router from the ISP for it to even work.
I hope to one day build a pfsense router though, and just use the current one as a bridge (hoping that's possible)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 03:31:11 »
Most definitely. I, however, don't have that choice, apparently we need the router from the ISP for it to even work.
I hope to one day build a pfsense router though, and just use the current one as a bridge (hoping that's possible)
Modem or router?
Routers tend to be universal,  modems are actually far more universal than people think, and a combo unit is no different. Modems rarely have upgradable firmware.

Not sure about where you live, but in the US we forced standards on the bastards so you don't have to use your providers modem, they will sometimes tell you that and the installer may even believe it, but you should be able to use any standard off the shelf model that is compatible. Mostly likely all you need to do is register the modem (mac address I think) with them so their system will allow it access. Even if your country didn't enforce a standard, odds of your carrier getting something custom for them is slim. From there you should be able to use any router. You can call and ask then what modems are compatible or what standard they use (docsis 3.0 is most common) then just buy what you want and then use your own router (can also just look up what you currently have and see if it uses a common standard then find compatible ones). I got a list from my provider, figured out the standard and bought what I wanted,  paid itself off in a little over a year.

They may be using a business class modem, which may need you to manually input the routing settings as well as register it with them, but it's not difficult to do (load up the config web page and plug them in, then a reset).

If you have your phone landline, tv and internet from one provider, you will have another box as well for the phones. That one you probably will not be able to get rid of.
My home system is their tv/cable breakout --> my modem --> my router --> switch (for more ports)

I won't use the provided modem or modem/router because 90$% of the time, they are garbage, or outdated. For example, wireless N had been out for 2 years, they were still shipping modem/routers with wireless G and often 10/100 ports. And of course the lack of ability to tweak settings like ports and things is a hassle.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2018, 03:35:53 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 04:35:23 »
um..... Chinese informant then.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 04:56:11 »
um..... Chinese informant then.

Yes.. tp4 will inform them about all the super se(cret gekhak news..

they pay $0.0001 per word.. dat's y Tp4 posts so much !!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 08:15:54 »
Modem or router?
Routers tend to be universal,  modems are actually far more universal than people think, and a combo unit is no different. Modems rarely have upgradable firmware.
It's a combined router/modem I believe.

Not sure about where you live, but in the US we forced standards on the bastards so you don't have to use your providers modem, they will sometimes tell you that and the installer may even believe it, but you should be able to use any standard off the shelf model that is compatible. Mostly likely all you need to do is register the modem (mac address I think) with them so their system will allow it access. Even if your country didn't enforce a standard, odds of your carrier getting something custom for them is slim. From there you should be able to use any router. You can call and ask then what modems are compatible or what standard they use (docsis 3.0 is most common) then just buy what you want and then use your own router (can also just look up what you currently have and see if it uses a common standard then find compatible ones). I got a list from my provider, figured out the standard and bought what I wanted,  paid itself off in a little over a year.
Yeah I'll definitely be looking into that.
I hate not having complete control over the firewall in the router. And they way they've designed it is just stupid.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 12:38:31 »
Modem or router?
It's a combined router/modem I believe.

Yeah I'll definitely be looking into that.
I hate not having complete control over the firewall in the router. And they way they've designed it is just stupid.

What about connecting the router to a bsd/hardened system and port forward connections (wifi too) out to other devices from the hardened system? Not going to do much for botnet prevention I'm afraid.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 12:46:03 »
This stuff adds alot of latency..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 21:49:21 »
Each hop on my network adds 0.09ms latency.  THE HORROR!!!

By comparison, pinging Google's hyper fast dns server is 16ms, you should not be able to notice an internal hop except under benchmarking.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2018, 21:52:00 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 08:36:20 »
Each hop on my network adds 0.09ms latency.  THE HORROR!!!

By comparison, pinging Google's hyper fast dns server is 16ms, you should not be able to notice an internal hop except under benchmarking.

My pr0 LOL dreams.. !! //Dashed !!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 08:21:07 »
FTP performance has been patched/improved..

My xbox-original can now be uploaded to @ 11.5MB/s  vs 9MB/s prior.

Installed dat Fifa 07 for m0ar leg spheroid.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 09:56:37 »
I'm running equipment as old as that xbox original and my latency overhead on wifi is only 0.9ms.  :confused:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 10:46:48 »
I'm running equipment as old as that xbox original and my latency overhead on wifi is only 0.9ms.  :confused:

Makes a big difference in the Halo 2 community

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 10:59:24 »

Cry me a river

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 22:05:14 »

Cry me a river