Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 382941 times)

Offline SL89

Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #400 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 12:16:04 »
there are 15 left, and i've been getting appx an order every other day, so you should be good

next step is getting the titan cut to spec by the way. everything depends on this, so JD and i will be checking this very closely.

thank you for that update mkawa

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #401 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 14:41:30 »
there are 15 left, and i've been getting appx an order every other day, so you should be good

next step is getting the titan cut to spec by the way. everything depends on this, so JD and i will be checking this very closely.

Sweet. Did you manage to build one up at Keycon? Would love to see some pics!  :p

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #402 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 15:32:42 »
no, i had an emergency and had to run the first day, and we were wrestling with stream issues the rest of the time. vibex has the only gasketed copy so far, but his is stainless.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #403 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 15:37:53 »
Wait, Vibex has the sorbothane gasket in his? Need pics nao :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #404 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 19:22:12 »
yah, since i couldn't do the build, and i saw he had a JD40 that he presented his layout stuff on, i gave him the sample i had at the con

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #405 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 00:49:43 »
This board looks great and the option for colored plates is rad.  :thumb:

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #406 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 07:08:04 »
Wait, Vibex has the sorbothane gasket in his? Need pics nao :)
I'll get a photo as soon as I can, but I have a very busy weekend. Not sure when I'll be able to get one.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #407 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 09:35:25 »
I'm actually thinking of buying this. I have a few questions though (they may be in the thread, i didn't read  :p) 1: Will the kit come with the electronics, or just the PCB + case 2: Where would I be able to get keycaps for this?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #408 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 15:09:51 »
most likely it will be just the pcb

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #409 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 15:10:09 »
teensies will be available at a discounted price

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #410 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 23:35:02 »
most likely it will be just the pcb

What you're saying is that if I order the GB, it'll only be the PCB?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #411 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 23:38:44 »
PCB, plates and fasteners.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #412 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 23:40:58 »
PCB, plates and fasteners.

Hopefully, this is the last question: "We will be adding the bill of materials for additional parts needed to complete the kit", can you give me a ballpark estimate of what the total cost will be, not including keycaps + switches? Thanks.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #413 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 09:53:50 »
The major part is the teensy 2.0. Otherwise things are pretty standard. A set of through hole diodes, your choice of led and and resistor and a single 6.25x plate mount stabilizer. I am working on sourcing teensies and stabilizers for sale on the geeckers store.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #414 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 09:56:51 »
Iirc we are down to less than 15 kits

Offline tahuds

« Reply #415 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 09:58:05 »
mkawa is i3oilermaker from Techkeys still sponsoring diodes for everyone or will we need to get our own? Also can you confirm payment went through for order #1116? Thanks!

Edit: Also, will there be some sort of tutorial like the Massdrop folks did for the Ergo so that beginners can take a swing at souldering their own? What about how many of each keycap do we need?
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 10:32:50 by tahuds »
I have beerology feedback from sales on the arstechnica.com forum going back to 2007 at the link-  http://www.beerology.com/view.cfm?id=3848

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #416 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:17:58 »
Picked up a bronze/bronze  :)

Changed my vote to bronze/bronze as well.  Sounds classy. :thumb:

Offline GSimon

« Reply #417 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:31:56 »

All you bronze supporters are just so great  :thumb:

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #418 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 00:23:52 »
yah, sorry about that. they were supposed to be low profile cap head and low profile button heads.

small hex head is actually a good option too.

anyway, just a heads up. there are maybe 17? units left in this batch, and orders are starting to pick up again. if you are on the fence, i'd suggest getting off of it mighty quick :P

+1 for small hex head,  but is it available in black please?

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #419 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 00:26:51 »

All you bronze supporters are just so great  :thumb:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I think bronze bronze should have met the MOQ?

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #420 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 03:41:09 »
I'm looking forward to Bronze Bronze myself.  I think I have advised of my preference in all the right places.
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #421 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 07:51:41 »
Come on guys, no love for raw titanium?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #422 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:32:57 »

I'm currently down for grey, but I've been on the fence about switching back to raw. Since there aren't any production samples to compare to -- like any group buy -- it's hard to make a qualified decision.  :-\

I just don't have enough experience with titanium to really know what to expect.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #423 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:42:15 »

I'm currently down for grey, but I've been on the fence about switching back to raw. Since there aren't any production samples to compare to -- like any group buy -- it's hard to make a qualified decision.  :-\

I just don't have enough experience with titanium to really know what to expect.

It is actually really easy to anodize titanium at home.  The way you vary the color is by adjusting the voltage.  No need for dyes.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline tbc

« Reply #424 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 12:23:11 »
does that mean it's not really s problem to reanodize it to another color?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #425 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 12:33:02 »

Yes and no.  If you want to go to a color that is higher on the voltage range I believe you can.  If you want to go to a color that is lower on the voltage range you will have to mechanically remove the old coating.  Mkawa might be able to correct me if I am a little off in my train of thought.

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #426 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 16:57:00 »
I wish i knew how to build a keyboard! :(

Offline tbc

« Reply #427 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 17:14:07 »
where are my #LEGITGOLDBALLERS at? :D
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #428 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 02:31:34 »

Yes and no.  If you want to go to a color that is higher on the voltage range I believe you can.  If you want to go to a color that is lower on the voltage range you will have to mechanically remove the old coating.  Mkawa might be able to correct me if I am a little off in my train of thought.
unalloyed titanium is so difficult to anodize tp a single consistent color across a single part that it's pretty much impossible to try anodization at home unless you want a multi-colored rainbow sort of thing.

in general, to re-anodize something, you have to mechanically debride the oxide layer with a cold, inert process that avoids formation of a new oxide layer, then anodize again. you're not going to be able to do this at home, and the grinder we use to prepare our stock is pretty much the only game in town _in the country_ that is willing to prep unalloyed sheet titanium, and running a single sheet through costs as much as running a tiny little plate through.

in general, if you have a part of the keyboard sandwich that you don't like the color of, wait until there's another run, or buy two kits with different colors. i would not recommend trying to screw around with anything at home unless you're willing to sacrifice your plate and scrap it completely.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #429 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 13:58:38 »
hey everyone. i've been living off a phone for internet and the floor for sleeping for the last week and have been unable to keep on schedule with production on this. as i mentioned before, we're being very careful with the waterjet cut of the plates. we need to make sure that the tolerances we're getting for the cheaper cut method we're using will be sufficient and if not, we will rejigger the drawing to make sure the plates come out properly. to this end, the WJ has been waiting to make a sample cut for me while i, ironically, move out of his area. thankfully, i've found someone down south to pick up the samples and post them to me so that i can take the necessary measurements and check fitment. since we're dealing with cuts on 3000$ worth of metal stock here, i am not going to screw around with the final cut. measure 10 times, cut once. my unavailability has delayed this process about 3 weeks now, unfortunately, but now that i'm slightly more stable (i'm at least sleeping on a couch right now), jd and i can go over the samples and drawings with a fine toothed comb.

in the next order of business, in fitting vibex's gasket, he found an interesting property which could be either a feature or a potential pitfall. basically, a fastener system that is a single long bolt coming in from the top through a hole in the sorbothane and a nut at the bottom to secure the bolt allows you to squish the gasket to nearly whatever height you want on each of the four corners. the gasket is nominally 1/2" in height, but is very squishy, as it's 30O material. this is cool in that you can build in your own slant at the top of the keyboard, as there is a little extra room between the bottom plate and the PCB (the teensy is the real reason it must be 1/2", otherwise it could be much thinner). however, it's a bit harder to get exactly 1/2" on all four corners. you have to manually measure the distance between plates as you tighten the nut.

JD's original design uses a spacer nut that is exactly 1/2" and then is secured to each plate by a machine screw. this is a nice solution and looks nice when you don't use the gasket, but you won't be able to see the spacer if you use the gasket, and the spacer nuts are bit pricey, actually. anyway, curious to hear what options people would prefer.

finally, people have been asking about pricing on teensies. frankly, we can't give a much lower price than pjrc on teensies. the MOQ on quantity pricing is larger than our total possible order, so the only real benefit is that we can save internationals some shipping costs by buying teensies and packing them with the kits. my feeling is that i should just put the teensies up on the shop for pjrc's pricing (because that's pretty much what we're going to pay), and you will be able to put your kit order number in the notes for combined shipping. thoughts?

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #430 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 06:46:16 »
hey everyone. i've been living off a phone for internet and the floor for sleeping for the last week and have been unable to keep on schedule with production on this. as i mentioned before, we're being very careful with the waterjet cut of the plates. we need to make sure that the tolerances we're getting for the cheaper cut method we're using will be sufficient and if not, we will rejigger the drawing to make sure the plates come out properly. to this end, the WJ has been waiting to make a sample cut for me while i, ironically, move out of his area. thankfully, i've found someone down south to pick up the samples and post them to me so that i can take the necessary measurements and check fitment. since we're dealing with cuts on 3000$ worth of metal stock here, i am not going to screw around with the final cut. measure 10 times, cut once. my unavailability has delayed this process about 3 weeks now, unfortunately, but now that i'm slightly more stable (i'm at least sleeping on a couch right now), jd and i can go over the samples and drawings with a fine toothed comb.

in the next order of business, in fitting vibex's gasket, he found an interesting property which could be either a feature or a potential pitfall. basically, a fastener system that is a single long bolt coming in from the top through a hole in the sorbothane and a nut at the bottom to secure the bolt allows you to squish the gasket to nearly whatever height you want on each of the four corners. the gasket is nominally 1/2" in height, but is very squishy, as it's 30O material. this is cool in that you can build in your own slant at the top of the keyboard, as there is a little extra room between the bottom plate and the PCB (the teensy is the real reason it must be 1/2", otherwise it could be much thinner). however, it's a bit harder to get exactly 1/2" on all four corners. you have to manually measure the distance between plates as you tighten the nut.

JD's original design uses a spacer nut that is exactly 1/2" ad then is secured to each plate by a machine screw. this is a nice solution and looks nice when you don't use the gasket, but you won't be able to see the spacer if you use the gasket, and the spacer nuts are bit pricey, actually. anyway, curious to hear what options people would prefer.

finally, people have been asking about pricing on teensies. frankly, we can't give a much lower price than pjrc on teensies. the MOQ on quantity pricing is larger than our total possible order, so the only real benefit is that we can save internationals some shipping costs by buying teensies and packing them with the kits. my feeling is that i should just put the teensies up on the shop for pjrc's pricing (because that's pretty much what we're going to pay), and you will be able to put your kit order number in the notes for combined shipping. thoughts?

Do you have a sample of how the gasket looks like please? Just by looking at the description,  i'd prefer spacer (looks like the picture in the first post I guess?)

For teensy, would you mind disclosing the price please? Actually I'm more concerned about the stabiliser. 

Sorry to hear you had to sleep on floor. .. hope you get a bed soon. It must be a pain typing the post if you don't have a keyboard connected to your phone

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #431 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 10:23:23 »
Thanks for the update mkawa.. I think I would prefer the idea of the spacers, but lets see what others have to say. I like your idea of selling teensies through the store, because even if they are the same price, I can probably save $10-$15 in shipping..

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #432 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:14:37 »
vibex has a gasket installed and is probably the best source of pics at the moment, i'm trying to source stabs today. teensies at 18 at PJRC, so that would be the price, more or less.

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #433 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 15:16:36 »
Just ordered one after waffling for weeks.  :thumb:
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #434 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 15:42:44 »
Very tempted to grab this but my main issues:

• How hard is it to build this? I've soldered things before, but basic things... things that didnt require much precision
  • Anyone willing to build this for me? >.<
  • The price of this + the learn to solder kit is too high for me ):
  • Is it really usable? I dont quite understand how the key layout works...
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #435 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 18:13:05 »
Its not hard. I built my dox and had never soldered before. I then built another for a friend. I love doing it. I wouldn't mind building yours either!
Tell Daddy.

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #436 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 19:17:38 »
Its not hard. I built my dox and had never soldered before. I then built another for a friend. I love doing it. I wouldn't mind building yours either!

I might take that offer.. lol

Hm, so how else is everyone sourcing the rest of the parts anyway?

And how much longer will these be sold? I kinda want to wait for my next paycheck (the 10th) first..
Home:
Work:

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #437 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 03:31:21 »
vibex has a gasket installed and is probably the best source of pics at the moment, i'm trying to source stabs today. teensies at 18 at PJRC, so that would be the price, more or less.

Price looks reasonable. I think I'd get 1or 2

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #438 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 03:33:18 »

I might take that offer.. lol

Hm, so how else is everyone sourcing the rest of the parts anyway?

And how much longer will these be sold? I kinda want to wait for my next paycheck (the 10th) first..

I'm relying on mkawa to source the materials, apart from switches. ;)

Offline Yslen

« Reply #439 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 08:35:44 »
Building seems to be, in my limited experience, a heck of a lot easier than disassembling. Pushing in switches and soldering the legs is a doddle compared to removing the solder to get them back out. I'm going to carefully try to build this myself, and if I get stuck ask for help from someone who knows their stuff :P

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #440 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 13:26:30 »
stabs are a lock, courtesy wasdkeyboards. i'll put up those and the teensies at 0 shipping cost pretty soon with instructions to specify your kit order number when placing your order. there isn't a heck of a lot else needed to build the unit.

instead of the learn to solder kit, please consider the cl1481 and stand kit @ 69 or 79.99 (forget what the pricing is) instead. it's a very affordable starter kit that you can add the other parts onto as your need them

http://www.geekhackers.org/collections/soldering-tools-and-supplies/products/edsyn-cl1481-soldering-iron

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #441 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 14:03:30 »
Well either way, I definitely cant go for it before my next paycheck, already splurged a lot this month lol.

So if this is still available by August 10th, I'll probably hop on it.

I still dont understand how a 40% sized keyboard can still be useful though.
Home:
Work:

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #442 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 14:14:30 »
Well either way, I definitely cant go for it before my next paycheck, already splurged a lot this month lol.

So if this is still available by August 10th, I'll probably hop on it.

I still dont understand how a 40% sized keyboard can still be useful though.

I use mine for portability. But the tiny footprint on my desk is actually really nice.
I have the bottom two corners set as function layer keys and have every key available to me. :)

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #443 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 14:49:05 »
Keyboards, being large, through hole, simple, and low frequency digital, are the best projects to get started with soldering.  There's no finesse--just make sure you catch everything and have shiny joints.

Mkawa:  I vote for spacers rather than sorbothane.  I was probably going to do that anyway since I plan on DIY rainbow anodizing my plates, and showing more plate sounds good to me. 

Offline Yslen

« Reply #444 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 15:29:05 »
I've been having trouble visualising the sorbothane tbh. Unless it looks a lot nicer than it does in my head, I'd probably prefer spacers too.

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #445 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 22:33:50 »
stabs are a lock, courtesy wasdkeyboards. i'll put up those and the teensies at 0 shipping cost pretty soon with instructions to specify your kit order number when placing your order. there isn't a heck of a lot else needed to build the unit.

instead of the learn to solder kit, please consider the cl1481 and stand kit @ 69 or 79.99 (forget what the pricing is) instead. it's a very affordable starter kit that you can add the other parts onto as your need them

http://www.geekhackers.org/collections/soldering-tools-and-supplies/products/edsyn-cl1481-soldering-iron

Thank you. Pretty much most required stuff can be sourced now. ;)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #446 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 23:25:36 »

So do we have to use costar stabilizers?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #447 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 23:54:59 »
So do we have to use costar stabilizers?

It's not a limitation of the plate, if that's what you're asking. You could also use a plate mount Cherry stabilizer. No holes in the PCB for PCB-mount, though.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline GSimon

« Reply #448 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 00:00:20 »
It's not a limitation of the plate, if that's what you're asking. You could also use a plate mount Cherry stabilizer. No holes in the PCB for PCB-mount, though.

Yay! Was hoping Cherry stabilizers were an option :)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #449 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 03:06:39 »
So Vibex: have you written a review of that sorbothane gasket yet? Also, pictures!