Author Topic: Unicomp no longer making 2-piece keycaps?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline ZHENYA

Unicomp no longer making 2-piece keycaps?
« on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 18:10:56 »
Hello everone,
Long time Model M enthusiast, first time poster.

So I decided after many years of being on the fence, to buy a unicomp traditional Model M. After I ordered I decided to double check by contacting customer support to tell them to send me 2 piece keycaps, I was told that they no longer make 2-piece keycaps and that they now have another company produce 1 piece keycaps.

I was disappointed to hear this both for myself and because new replacement keycaps are no longer obtainable and I haven't seen it covered anywhere else. Does anyone know when this started?

The keyboard I received was a mix of 2 and 1 piece keycaps. With some of the grey keys being 2 piece, but most were 1 piece. all the white keys were 1 piece.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Re: Unicomp no longer making 2-piece keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 18:33:18 »
From memory, thought Unicomp only has molds for one piece caps?
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline ZHENYA

Re: Unicomp no longer making 2-piece keycaps?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 18:41:39 »
Years ago I bought replacement 2-piece cap and stem new production keycaps from Unicomp to replace missing caps on some of the Model M's I needed caps for. This was back in I want to say 2011. I also saw video reviews on youtube from I want to say a year ago showing 2 piece keycaps. I know unicomp has issues with the tooling getting old and so that's probably why but still its a shame to see 2-piece keycaps go.