Author Topic: Zowie MiCO vs Razer Abyssus, my video review & comparison  (Read 14245 times)

Offline Aznguyen316

Zowie MiCO vs Razer Abyssus, my video review & comparison
« on: Thu, 18 August 2011, 08:04:28 »
Zowie MiCO Pros & Cons:

Pros:
~67 grams – very lightweight, so easy to move w/ claw/fingertip grips
-No drivers needed – change dpi via hardware scrolling method
-Form factor – small, but very comfortable mouse, like the old Logitech optical mouse; can be a con for big handed people
-Only a small amount of glossy plastic, the rest is a matte plastic finish
-Left and right mouse button clicks are very tactile, but have a great feel to them, not too heavy to be fatiguing at all. Just barely heavier than Abyssus clicks
Very low lift off distance tracking

Cons:
-Only up to 1600dpi, would prefer at least 1800dpi but not a big deal for RTS
-Sensor is not as good as Razer Orochi or Abyssus, does not track well w/o a mouse pad. With a mousepad, the sensor is responsive and perfect.
-Thick mouse cable, not heavy or impeding, but not braided.
-Cheaper scroll wheel, not super responsive on scrolling, however clicks fine. Light tactility on scrolling.
-Small teflon feet, IMO could be a tad larger and smoother for scrolling

Other thoughts:
Feels so damn good in my hand, even better than DeathAdder, Orochi, and Abyssus.
I pick this as my favorite RTS mouse due mainly to the size and clicks.

[video=youtube;jaXtlwfMDrk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaXtlwfMDrk[/video]

Offline isp

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 09:32:05 »
Thanks for the vid.  I was about to order both of these but I went with the Mico instead.  I've never really been fan of razer's buttons...
hhkb

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 August 2011, 13:19:28 »
Yeah the MiCO is terrific.  One problem I've noticed and others have as well is the scroll wheel will begin to squeek =(  Hasn't bothered me too much but may result in an RMA in the future.

Offline HeavyArms

• "Lit"
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 10:15:07 »
just curious what is the polling rate of this mouse?
Head in the clouds.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 10:27:34 »
Quote from: HeavyArms;403837
just curious what is the polling rate of this mouse?

500hz
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline HeavyArms

• "Lit"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 10:45:17 »
Quote from: ripster;403843
Mechanical Keyboards ping.  Mice squeek.

It is the nature of things.

+1

Abyssus' polling rate is 1000hz, so there's a pretty significant advantage right there.
Head in the clouds.

Offline HeavyArms

• "Lit"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 12:14:26 »
For me personally, polling rate is 100% noticeable in mice, much more so than keyboards for some odd reason. In a game like SC2 where mouse precision is key you start to notice these subtle yet potentially crucial features of mice. For those who own an abyssus toggle the switch to 125hz and give it a whirl you'll notice. Great video and comparison none the less, I just feel like a significant factor was left out.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 August 2011, 12:19:52 by HeavyArms »
Head in the clouds.

Offline dewaere

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 12:26:03 »
With mice, you won't notice anything from 200hz to 1000hz.
KBC Poker Red / IBM Model M 1987 / Das Keyboard 1 / Filco Majestouch 2 Tenleyless Brown / Nopoo minichoc Red / Cherry G80-1861 HBF Black / Qpad MK-80 Red / Zowie EC2 / Zowie Mico / Steelseries XAI / Steelseries KANA /  Microsoft IE 3.0 / Microsoft imo 1.1 / Microsoft wmo 1.1 / Logitech MX 518 / Logitech MX 300 / Logitech MX 310 / Razer DeathAdder 1800 / Razer  Diamondback 1600 / Logitech  G9X

Offline dewaere

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 12:46:29 »
Mice Hz is all about visual smoothness in first person shooters, when you look around.
Click response time at 500hz is 2ms, 1ms at 1000hz then 8ms at 125hz.
With a mice, humans average response time is around 100ms, so... :]
KBC Poker Red / IBM Model M 1987 / Das Keyboard 1 / Filco Majestouch 2 Tenleyless Brown / Nopoo minichoc Red / Cherry G80-1861 HBF Black / Qpad MK-80 Red / Zowie EC2 / Zowie Mico / Steelseries XAI / Steelseries KANA /  Microsoft IE 3.0 / Microsoft imo 1.1 / Microsoft wmo 1.1 / Logitech MX 518 / Logitech MX 300 / Logitech MX 310 / Razer DeathAdder 1800 / Razer  Diamondback 1600 / Logitech  G9X

Offline Skylit

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 12:54:48 »
I can notice the difference between 125hz and 500hz quite easily, although the jump from 500hz-1000hz isn't big enough to to yield an advantage.  Placebo effect from there on out.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 August 2011, 13:38:50 »
The Zowie Mico has an emulated/fake 1600 dpi and skips pixels.
As I use my Abyssus at 1800 dpi, this is dealbreaker for me.

Offline Mith

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 09:35:30 »
Thanks for comparison, sounds like a good mouse. I put an order of Mico if it's not *great* I'm gonna have to buy new Abyssus. Xai is so big that it has began to slow me down.

Offline spzz

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 September 2011, 10:33:38 »
Hmm, might pick up one of these when I have the cash, esp. since I play a lot of SC2. Just found out they perfected the shape of the mouse with the StarTale team :O

Offline file_id

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 September 2011, 17:03:50 »
Just ordered one from Amazon based off this review. I'll let you know my impressions after I've had a couple of hours to play with it.
DS3 White YOTS (Blue)|Poker 2 (Blue,Clear)|QFR Rapid-i TKL (Brown,Blue)|QFR Rapid TKL (Blue,Red,Brown)|KBP V60 (Blue,Clear,Matias Click)|Code TKL Clear|Filco MJ2 TKL (Blue)|Filco MJ2 Ninja Beige TKL (Brown)|Novatouch

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 17:55:42 »
If anyone that got the Zowie experiences the squeeky wheel, apparently Zowie will RMA them and a new batch without the problem are being shipped out.  This is just word of mouth from a youtube member that gets in pre-releases and he got a Zowie and reviewed it as well before returning it for a new one.  I am in the middle of requesting an RMA and awaiting to hear back to see what Zowie will do.

Offline file_id

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 04:21:41 »
Good to know. Played a couple of games of Starcraft and so far love the mouse. Its the perfect size mouse and a throwback to some of the older mice. Out of curiosity what settings do you use on the mouse and in starcraft?
DS3 White YOTS (Blue)|Poker 2 (Blue,Clear)|QFR Rapid-i TKL (Brown,Blue)|QFR Rapid TKL (Blue,Red,Brown)|KBP V60 (Blue,Clear,Matias Click)|Code TKL Clear|Filco MJ2 TKL (Blue)|Filco MJ2 Ninja Beige TKL (Brown)|Novatouch

Offline RiGS

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 05:29:29 »
Could you ask him whether they fixed the sensor? The original version has an emulated/fake 1600 dpi and it skips pixels. So it has only 800 real dpi.

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 07:33:59 »
Quote from: RiGS;413232
Could you ask him whether they fixed the sensor? The original version has an emulated/fake 1600 dpi and it skips pixels. So it has only 800 real dpi.

the guy* did a review and stated the original did not have emulated/fake 1600dpi.  He tested it just looking at the pixels or mouse movements or something.  Can you confirm where you read it had emulated dpi?  I've had several gaming mice in the past couple years and this has felt no different than any of those Razers etc and I haven't felt it skipping pixels.  But I'm also not as picky I suppose.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 September 2011, 09:35:57 by Aznguyen316 »

Offline Bilbin

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 08:45:22 »
Low perfect control with this sensor.

I like the shape though.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blues - Razer Abyssus - PureTrak Talent

Offline Lanx

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 12:29:38 »
is there a micro mouse with back/foward buttons? i want a small mouse like the abyssus but i kinda need back/foward so used to those standard buttons.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 01:30:49 »
Quote from: Lanx;414941
is there a micro mouse with back/foward buttons? i want a small mouse like the abyssus but i kinda need back/foward so used to those standard buttons.

You could take a look at the Roccat Pyra.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline file_id

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 13:37:17 »
Had the mouse for about a week and have noticed that my mouse1 and mouse2 buttons have started to become polished. Really upset about this since I only use the mouse for starcraft2 and have only about 10 hours of use. Other than that switch sensitivity is great, no mousewheel squeak problems (which I'm assuming I have the revision of this mouse).

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26829[/ATTACH]

Quote from: file_id;413221
Good to know. Played a couple of games of Starcraft and so far love the mouse. Its the perfect size mouse and a throwback to some of the older mice. Out of curiosity what settings do you use on the mouse and in starcraft?
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 September 2011, 13:40:14 by file_id »

Offline cmh

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 15:24:29 »
I've have these mice and like them both.  I do prefer the shape of the Micro over the abyssus.  I never felt comfortable gripping the sides of the abyssus and it would cause my hands to strain after awhile.  I've had my Mico for a month or so and had no problems, it still looks brand new using it everyday.  The scroll wheel has squeaked but very rarely and it goes away.  For Starcraft II I use the 800dpi setting, which previously I was using a Logitech G1 at 1000dpi so I was quite comfortable with the transition.  The abyssus I used at 1800dpi. Both have really great sensors and I would recommend them to others looking for a smaller mouse for gaming.
Leopold FC700r (MX reds) | Realforce 87u 45g | Filco MJ2 Metallic Blue (MX Brown) | Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless (MX Red/Brown/Blue) | Ducky Shine II Tenkeyless  White LED (MX Red) | CM Storm QFR (MX Red)

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 22:26:57 »
Got my MiCO replaced and no squeeks (yet).  Man I love the size of this mouse, my LMB and RMB did not get polished on my first mouse either but I really appreciate the non-glossy sides where the thumb rests, it stays grippy and clean.

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 05:33:43 »
anyone wants to proxy one of those, they are ****ing 35€ here

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 06:51:09 »
Quote from: mbc;418501
anyone wants to proxy one of those, they are ****ing 35€ here

At least you can buy it from Caseking.de! Here I can't find any dealer and if I buy from europe shops I get killed by shipping :(

I was looking for a smaller mice than my Kinzu and I saw some pics in a OCN review showing it is.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 08:08:59 »
maybe a shop from Portugal has decent shipping costs to Spain

http://www.zowiegear.com/w2b/122
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline pruik6

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 07:31:37 »
the mouse is for me to small maybe i hold my mouse different then you guys is it rewally een claw mouse or can i fingertip it too
and zowie mico the mouse buttons are very hard to press i come from a salmosa mouse (razer)

Offline zareliman

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 19:38:42 »
So you are saying that you can play with 100ms of latency without noticing it ?
Plus, I don't think any adept gamer or computer enthusiast has the response time of an average human in terms of computer peripherals, I've seen normal people trying to use my computer and the can't even move my mouse properly due to my sensitivity settings and my doubleclick speed.

I've felt the difference between 500Hz and 1000Hz and it really matters to me at least.