Author Topic: Beefing up a Roswill RK-9000  (Read 8285 times)

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
Beefing up a Roswill RK-9000
« on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 14:00:29 »
The Rosewill RK-9000 is a seriously underrated board IMHO. While made by Costar, it is one of the cheapest Cherry MX based ANSI 104 boards on the market. So cheap that people buy them just for parts -- for as little as $65 you get 104 MX switches, a switch plate, 104 diodes, and a case. Not helping its reputation is the so-so reliability record of Costar boards based on single sided main PCB's (USB ports coming lose, intermittent or chattering switches) , RoHS solder really likes via's. Resoldering these w/ leaded solder will improve reliability a lot.

If you are not afraid of voiding warranties, are able to solder (or want to learn about it), and have some money to spend, the RK-9000 can be customized into an exceptional keyboard for a reasonable price.

Things you need besides a soldering setup:
 - RK-9000BL, ~$75 (or any other MX flavor)
 - The Black Petal, $35 (optional, but highly recommended !)
 - 110 Cherry MX switches, $54
 - a good keycap set (optional), eg. Sideprinted PBT Keycaps, $51, or blank DSA caps, $21+$19+$9.50, or whatever floats your boat.
   The Galaxy Class Set would be a great candidate too :)

Meet the RK-9000BL. You can sand and repaint the top shell if you so desire, I just covered up that ugly Rosewill logo w/ electrical tape :)  The case comes apart like a CMS QFXT or QFR, three screws and the top cover hooks into the base w/ hooks at the front and back. Note the sketchy soldering of the USB mini connector:

Desoldering the black switches. Very easy at 375°C using a simple rubber bulb. A spring loaded sucker would work too, it's just more work to reset it after each joint:

Soldering in new switches. I used a mix of MX Green and Whites, some with Clear springs (ESC, and the Whites in the 2nd pic). The space switch has a spring from a tactile Grey:

Putting it back together and adding some caps:

Alternative caps:

The Black Petal can be programmed with TMK, Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper, or make-your-own (my preference.) You now have full control :)

There you have it; A cheap, reliable, and highly customized keyboard that doesn't break the bank and makes for a fun project.

Hope you enjoyed this little writeup, type on ! ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 May 2014, 16:56:00 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Beefing up a Roswill RK-9000
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 14:03:29 »
So what do you recommend doing to make the usb port better?

Offline Grendel

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 14:08:14 »
Clean the RoHS solder off, resolder w/ leaded solder. Since the PCB sticks out a bit underneath the connector I also added a twist tie (most cables you buy are hold together w/ these) for better mechanical stability. Can be seen in the shot w/ the Black Petal seated.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 14:10:44 by Grendel »
- I'm game !

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 14:14:31 »
Great project!

How did you get rid of the hideous logo?
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 14:20:28 »
Clean the RoHS solder off, resolder w/ leaded solder. Since the PCB sticks out a bit underneath the connector I also added a twist tie (most cables you buy are hold together w/ these) for better mechanical stability. Can be seen in the shot w/ the Black Petal seated.

Ok cool, I saw the twist tie just didn't recognize that is what it was. :thumb:

Offline Grendel

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 15:47:28 »
How did you get rid of the hideous logo?
[..] I just covered up that ugly Rosewill logo w/ electrical tape :)

Black vinyl tape . I use that stuff to cover up logos on gadgets, blends in nicely.
- I'm game !

Offline physicsmajor

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 20:11:56 »
Watching for reference. I've got three of these with various switch types, and while for me they've been completely reliable (I don't move them much, so the USB gets little stress) I'd definitely rather fix/improve than discard if it ever comes to that.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 20:43:55 »
I've been working on customing one myself. Been doing a hand applied lacquer finish similar like those 'fancy' $$$ expensive aftermarket Filco top shells in bright yellow. Going to do the plate magenta and install clears and magenta lock leds.

Offline Grendel

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 21:49:02 »
Cool, post some pictures ! :)

Forgot to mention the LED's -- replaced them w/ green T1's since I really don't like blue LED's and I wanted something brighter (the BP can drive them w/ HF PWM.)

For additional stress relief of the USB mini port I got this right angle USB cable (left angle here.)
- I'm game !

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 14:58:19 »
Cool, post some pictures ! :)

Forgot to mention the LED's -- replaced them w/ green T1's since I really don't like blue LED's and I wanted something brighter (the BP can drive them w/ HF PWM.)

For additional stress relief of the USB mini port I got this right angle USB cable (left angle here.)

Would anyone recommend not doing anything with the USB mini port until it breaks? I mean, if it doesn't give problems, why bother to do anything?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Grendel

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:11:44 »
Things have an uncanny tendency to break at the least opportune moments -- since I was already up to my elbows into the PCB w/ a soldering iron I figured I may as well rework the USB connector. If you are not already knee-deep into the case, "wait 'til it breaks" sounds fine to me.
- I'm game !

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
Re: Beefing up a Rosewill RK-9000
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:55:44 »
Would anyone recommend not doing anything with the USB mini port until it breaks? I mean, if it doesn't give problems, why bother to do anything?
Only thing I did with mine was order a shorty USB cable from Pexon so I can leave it plugged in all the time:

I've had it for over a year without issue, this was just a good excuse to fancy it up a bit  :)

Agree with ya OP, this is a great keyboard for the price - thanks for the write up and photos! I may have to consider the Black Petal once I get better at soldering  :thumb:

I waited for a sale & paid a cool $60 shipped; only ordered because I needed a fullsize for work, wasn't really expecting much from it, but now she's got PBT caps, custom cable and has seen more overall use than any other board I've got. I think this keyboard will be my first to sport Granite PBT once those ship.
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline Grendel

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 18:31:56 »
Very nice board ! Looking forward to the Granite set myself.

I may have to consider the Black Petal once I get better at soldering  :thumb:

bpiphany sells the fully assembled Black Petal for $35 shipped -- drops right in, no soldering required at all :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 May 2014, 18:36:38 by Grendel »
- I'm game !

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 11:27:52 »
Very nice board ! Looking forward to the Granite set myself.

I may have to consider the Black Petal once I get better at soldering  :thumb:

bpiphany sells the fully assembled Black Petal for $35 shipped -- drops right in, no soldering required at all :)
Stop tempting meeeeee! Hahaha good to know, thanks sir!
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline Grendel

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 18:56:10 »
Just a quick PSA -- I published the firmware I wrote for this board here.
- I'm game !