Author Topic: Purchased the Leopold numpad but keys register as "regular" row 5 numbers  (Read 29888 times)

Offline Acknown3

• Not a keyboard addict
Hey guys. I got the tenkeypad from this page so that I could use it for trainers and games which require input from numpad numbers, not the numbers in row 5 of the keyboard. Unfortunately, the pad registers as the row 5 numbers, which completely defeats the purpose of owning it. Is there a program that I could use to remap the keys to the numpad numbers without also changing the ones on the row 5 of my keyboard to the numpad numbers as well? Sorry if I can't explain the problem clearly, I'm a bit frustrated.
FC660C gray dyesub, gummyrot clack
FC660M cherry reds, Triumph Adler, blue aluminum case
Filco TKL cherry reds, white side-printed PBT
IBM Model F XT

Offline Mr. C

Sorry to hear the problem with Leo tenkey as I just bought one. Thanks for pointing issue out.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Purchased the Leopold numpad but keys register as "regular" row 5 numbers
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 23:07:14 »
This is a known issue.  Believe it or not it's actually done for a reason.  The idea is that the state of the NumLock on the normal keyboard doesn't effect the Numpad.  Instead of sending number pad keys, the pad sends number row (not affected by NumLock), and when its own NumLock button is pressed, it sends the PgUp, Home, etc. keys.

Offline Nixietube

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 10:48:23 »
hearing that just rendered the leo numpad useless in my eyes. if i have a 60% keyboard and get a seperate numbpad i expect it to send the propper signals and not just some other stuff. they should have at least installed a switch to change that.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Leopold are dumb for doing this. Makes no sense to mess with a known standard.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 13:18:29 »
Wow that's so dumb. Many other numpads just do numlock+NP_X+numlock off on each keypress to avoid it screwing around with numlock state with numlock being more like an internal Fn key to switch layers. No idea why they didn't do that as well.
Pretty much any game that expect numpad need to have numpad number scan codes, also same for unicode input as that dosen't work on numrow scan codes either.
I guess if you're only doing number crunching it's still a nice numpad, but they really should have thought it through.

Offline Suichoy

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 17:48:52 »
I have this numpad as well, was hoping to use it for programs that specifically call for true numpad output. I wish Leopold would put a warning on their site or give out some kind of hotfix.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 04:14:16 »
So you can't do Alt-0xxx using this external numpad then?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 04:30:22 »
Hey guys. I got the tenkeypad from this page so that I could use it for trainers and games which require input from numpad numbers, not the numbers in row 5 of the keyboard. Unfortunately, the pad registers as the row 5 numbers, which completely defeats the purpose of owning it. Is there a program that I could use to remap the keys to the numpad numbers without also changing the ones on the row 5 of my keyboard to the numpad numbers as well? Sorry if I can't explain the problem clearly, I'm a bit frustrated.

The PC will receive numpad5 as VK_NUMPAD5 keycode.
If Leopold implemented it as VK_KEY_5, it is a serious defect.

If you are using Windows 7, you can use On-Screen Keyboard feature with numpad enabled (you need to click to Option to enable Numpad). It will help you to input Numpad 5 without a physical keyboard.

I like linear switches

Offline osi

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 10:31:16 »
I have one of these with blues. I was too dissapointed that it doesn't pass the correct codes however, I don't need them. It did strike me a little odd though. Why leave them out?

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 11:53:22 »
This is disappointing, just bought one of these as well :(

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
So you can't do Alt-0xxx using this external numpad then?

That is correct

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 16:49:20 »
Is it possible to remap the 5 to down arrow when the num lock is off, so you have a normal inverted T layout?

Offline peter79

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 21:48:08 »
Which one is "regular" row 5 numbers?
My only problem is "." key, it appears "." not "," on Excell

Offline tbc

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 21:54:40 »
? what?

there are two places where there are numbers on a keyboard.  the numpad on the right and the number row (the keys right above 'qwerty')
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 11:58:19 »
The / * -  + and Enter keys are still numpad codes, right?

Offline Nixietube

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 03:48:34 »
when this was more up to date i wrote elitekeyboards.com and asked them about it. got a reply yesterday:

Hi (real Name of Nixietube),

Yes, that is correct; the number codes sent are not Numberpad codes, but number row codes.

Best regards,
Brian

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 05:12:08 »
Wow, this sucks. I didn't really notice with problem till now. Just received mine a few weeks ago.  :-\

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 19:51:08 »
I've seen some posts where people got "fixed" Leopold tenkeypads.  However, I just got this reply back from EK today, so it would probably be safe to wait a bit before getting a Leopold:
Yes, they do [still have this issue]. This should be fixed in the next batch in a couple of months.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 02:49:10 »
Glad I saw this thread before buying one.
Maybe I'll get a Filco one instead.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 04:52:34 »
I've seen some posts where people got "fixed" Leopold tenkeypads.  However, I just got this reply back from EK today, so it would probably be safe to wait a bit before getting a Leopold:
Yes, they do [still have this issue]. This should be fixed in the next batch in a couple of months.

The new ones are fixed, mine came from S.Korea and it's is perfect, it's just going to take a little while for the stock to filter through to EK. They are great numpads.

Offline soloz2

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 06:10:39 »

The new ones are fixed, mine came from S.Korea and it's is perfect, it's just going to take a little while for the stock to filter through to EK. They are great numpads.

Would you mind sharing where you got yours from?  I've called EK, but they don't have fixed ones yet.  I emailed qtan, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 06:23:14 »
this is exactly why I want a Realforce 23UB. It has a DIP switch so that you can have it act like a true NumPad. Also, it's thorprer.

My Goldtouch NumPad suffers from this exact same problem - doesn't send proper scancodes. It's incredibly frustrating.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
The Filco has the same problem. I had one for a while and never used it because of it.

Offline soloz2

I just got a Filco and it registered as number pad on my laptop. I'm having difficulty finding keycaps for it due to the 00 though

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 14:05:06 »
Oh, that's just peachy.   >:D

The one I ordered is due to arrive tomorrow. Sadly I do need it to actually send keypad codes for use with the music notation software I use.

Does anyone know if this is a firmware issue that can be fixed via an update?
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 February 2014, 14:27:40 by QuadGMoto »

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 14:11:55 »
The Filco has the same problem. I had one for a while and never used it because of it.

the filco shouldn't, it should register as a normal numberpad.
if you use aqua keytest you'll see its actually pressing numberpad then the button on each keypress
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=21101.0

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 16:41:53 »
The Leopold I ordered arrived yesterday. It really does have the problem described by the OP.

An email sent to Elite Keyboards' support confirmed that there is no firmware update. But then, neither could I find any other numeric keypads that use Cherry blue switches. Heck, I found some other very strange limitations in separate numeric keypads along the way. (No equals key?!? What's up with that?!?  :eek:) So I had to find a way to make it work.

Long story, short; I'm on a Mac. Elite Keyboards has a utility listed on their site called KeyRemap4MacBook, and its interface is even more awkward than its name. But if you take the time to manually build the necessary xml file, it can remap the keys at a low enough level that no application even realizes the keys have been remapped.

So if you need it, here's the xml file needed to remap those keys using this utility:

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<root>

<devicevendordef>
    <vendorname>Leopold</vendorname>
    <vendorid>0x04d9</vendorid>
  </devicevendordef>

<deviceproductdef>
    <productname>FC210TP</productname>
    <productid>0x0176</productid>
  </deviceproductdef>

<item>
    <name>Convert Leopold Numbers to Keypad Numbers</name>
    <identifier>private.leopold_to_keypad</identifier>
    <device_only>DeviceVendor::Leopold, DeviceProduct::FC210TP</device_only>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_0, KeyCode::KEYPAD_0</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_1, KeyCode::KEYPAD_1</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_2, KeyCode::KEYPAD_2</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_3, KeyCode::KEYPAD_3</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_4, KeyCode::KEYPAD_4</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_5, KeyCode::KEYPAD_5</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_6, KeyCode::KEYPAD_6</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_7, KeyCode::KEYPAD_7</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_8, KeyCode::KEYPAD_8</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_9, KeyCode::KEYPAD_9</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::EQUAL, KeyCode::KEYPAD_EQUAL</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::DOT, KeyCode::KEYPAD_DOT</autogen>
  </item>

</root>

For you Windows and Linux/Unix guys, sorry, I don't know of a similar utility for you. Maybe someone else here knows of something.

Along the way of working this out, I discovered that the vendor code sent by the Leopold is Filco's vendor code. No wonder the two keypads have the same problem.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 23:21:02 »

the filco shouldn't, it should register as a normal numberpad.
if you use aqua keytest you'll see its actually pressing numberpad then the button on each keypress
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=21101.0

The one I had most definitely sent the top row number codes. I purchased it specifically so I could use Pro Tools shortcuts with my tenkeyless keyboard (at the time), and none of them worked. Aqua Key Test also confirmed that the numpad was sending the wrong codes.

Maybe it was just my unit, but I doubt it. Others were experiencing the same issue at the time.

Offline Surnia

ouch, thank god I saw this. Was going to pickup another keypad for work, and thought the leo would be a great unit (better QC, etc). I'll have to wait on the new stock then; we use software that only registers certain commands on the numpad codes.

In other news, my Keycool 22 outputs the proper scancodes, works like a charm minus the fact that the feet slide like skates on ice..

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
I just don't understand why the Leopold is the only numpad with a proper size 0 key :(

Offline QuadGMoto

I just don't understand why the Leopold is the only numpad with a proper size 0 key :(

I don't understand why so many numpads don't have an equals key.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Leopold TKP is worth it just for the clean body/ case.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia

I don't understand why so many numpads don't have an equals key.

Probably because the standard 10 key on full keyboards doesn't. Whether or not it should is an entirely different matter.

Offline QuadGMoto

Whether or not it should is an entirely different matter.

;D

There is a separate keycode for them. And Apple's keyboards have had one for decades. That means they should have one.  ;)

There are times when it really comes in handy. Oddly enough, that's not while using a calculator, since I prefer RPN.  :cool:

The combination of a full sized zero key, an equals key, and Cherry blues is why I bought the Leopold. Being about to work around the number codes problem is why I kept it.  :)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Whether or not it should is an entirely different matter.

;D

There is a separate keycode for them. And Apple's keyboards have had one for decades. That means they should have one.  ;)

There are times when it really comes in handy. Oddly enough, that's not while using a calculator, since I prefer RPN.  :cool:

The combination of a full sized zero key, an equals key, and Cherry blues is why I bought the Leopold. Being about to work around the number codes problem is why I kept it.  :)

:D Please share when you get it working, if it's relatively painless (although I am a software dev, so my "pain" threshold is fairly high), then I'll just pick one of these up.

Offline QuadGMoto

:D Please share when you get it working, if it's relatively painless (although I am a software dev, so my "pain" threshold is fairly high), then I'll just pick one of these up.

It's working now under Mac OS X. (See here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52632.msg1241098#msg1241098)

I'm thinking about playing around with remapping on a Windows machine, but I don't have time to do it this weekend.

Offline osi

I still like my leo pad despite its small downfall. Using alt codes are not a necessity for me. There is always charmap or oak if I need.

My fingers are starting to get bored with the blues though.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Ahhh yes. That's  much easier to do on a Mac than on Windows. Discerning between devices on Windows requires a low level driver. And writing drivers for Windows is not fun.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
The Leopold I ordered arrived yesterday. It really does have the problem described by the OP.

An email sent to Elite Keyboards' support confirmed that there is no firmware update. But then, neither could I find any other numeric keypads that use Cherry blue switches. Heck, I found some other very strange limitations in separate numeric keypads along the way. (No equals key?!? What's up with that?!?  :eek:) So I had to find a way to make it work.

Long story, short; I'm on a Mac. Elite Keyboards has a utility listed on their site called KeyRemap4MacBook, and its interface is even more awkward than its name. But if you take the time to manually build the necessary xml file, it can remap the keys at a low enough level that no application even realizes the keys have been remapped.

So if you need it, here's the xml file needed to remap those keys using this utility:

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<root>

<devicevendordef>
    <vendorname>Leopold</vendorname>
    <vendorid>0x04d9</vendorid>
  </devicevendordef>

<deviceproductdef>
    <productname>FC210TP</productname>
    <productid>0x0176</productid>
  </deviceproductdef>

<item>
    <name>Convert Leopold Numbers to Keypad Numbers</name>
    <identifier>private.leopold_to_keypad</identifier>
    <device_only>DeviceVendor::Leopold, DeviceProduct::FC210TP</device_only>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_0, KeyCode::KEYPAD_0</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_1, KeyCode::KEYPAD_1</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_2, KeyCode::KEYPAD_2</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_3, KeyCode::KEYPAD_3</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_4, KeyCode::KEYPAD_4</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_5, KeyCode::KEYPAD_5</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_6, KeyCode::KEYPAD_6</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_7, KeyCode::KEYPAD_7</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_8, KeyCode::KEYPAD_8</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::KEY_9, KeyCode::KEYPAD_9</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::EQUAL, KeyCode::KEYPAD_EQUAL</autogen>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::DOT, KeyCode::KEYPAD_DOT</autogen>
  </item>

</root>

For you Windows and Linux/Unix guys, sorry, I don't know of a similar utility for you. Maybe someone else here knows of something.

Along the way of working this out, I discovered that the vendor code sent by the Leopold is Filco's vendor code. No wonder the two keypads have the same problem.

Nicely done seriously! I don't think it's possible to do on windows though at least not without fancy drivers.

Offline QuadGMoto

Nicely done seriously! I don't think it's possible to do on windows though at least not without fancy drivers.

Here's what I've found so far.

There is a registry structure that can be used to remap keys at a low level. There are even several different applications that help you set up this remapping. There's just one problem with it. It does not allow for device specific remapping. (Really, Microsoft?!? You couldn't imagine that someone might need to connect more than one keyboard, and might need to remap keys just for one of them? Like on a number pad attached to a notebook computer?)

So I started looking at what goes on at the driver level. I was not able to find any remapping utilities that replace Windows' default keyboard driver.

I also discovered that Windows allows stacking drivers on top of the keyboard driver. These are called "filter drivers". So it should be possible to create something like that to do device specific key remapping. Searching did turn up a few prebuilt filter drivers, mostly for swapping out the caps lock key. So far I haven't found any utility that gives you a configurable filter driver. Though I found mention on another forum of a filter driver that could provide the basis of such a utility.

And that's where it stands. I won't really have time to do much more on this, but hey, this is geekhack. Surely there's someone here who already knows how to put together such a filter driver in a couple of hours!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
a couple hours? eeek

(meaning... highly doubtful)

Offline QuadGMoto

a couple hours? eeek

(meaning... highly doubtful)

If someone already knows how to do it, that would be because they've done it before. And that would mean they almost certainly have a framework already. The rest—read the codes, check the table, return the result—is the easy stuff.

Offline soloz2

I just ordered one from qtan so hoping it's fixed. Will report back

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!

soloz, have you received the Leo from qtan yet? I'm thinking of ordering the black with mx red from him, but I also want to make sure his current batch is outputting the correct codes. I already emailed him, so awaiting an answer but I'm curious if you've received yours yet.
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~

soloz, have you received the Leo from qtan yet? I'm thinking of ordering the black with mx red from him, but I also want to make sure his current batch is outputting the correct codes. I already emailed him, so awaiting an answer but I'm curious if you've received yours yet.

Let me know what he says. I'm also keen on getting on a MX red leopold tenkeypad.

Offline soloz2

No, I haven't received it yet.  I ordered white with blue switches.

Offline medvednic

Does the Keycool Numpad sends the correct numpad code?

IBM Model M | CM Strom QFR Stealth MX Brown

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
I already posted on the vendor forum, but I'll repost here because I said I would provide an update. Gonna be contacting qtan for a return. I ordered the black MX Red.

Looks like the one I got from qtan is unfortunately printing off the wrong codes even though he said that they should be printing off the correct codes.

I'm going to have to email him for a return now. Unfortunately, I need the correct codes to work with software I use at work. A little disappointing because I did specifically asked him about this before ordering.

Here are all the keys registering from the Leopold 210TP on Aqua's Key Test.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 April 2014, 20:02:13 by nobee »
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown